There’s no better time than now to run a startup.
I mean, have you seen how far technology has come?
Entrepreneurs run businesses from their couch with a bunch of people they’ve never met in person!
You can pull this off too.
All you need is a handy tool by your side.
It’s the best bet your startup has to grow sustainably and scale exponentially.✨
And we want to help it come true.
In this article, you’ll discover the top five best tools for startups with their pros, cons, pricing, and user ratings.
Let’s start exploring some free tools for startups that will take your company to greater heights. 🚀
How To Choose The Best Tools For Startups?
Finding the best tools for startups can be a crazy journey.
The research alone is going to give you sleepless nights.
But hey, it doesn’t have to be like this.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself about your requirements:
- How big is your team?
- Do you need help with a specific function like task management, HR, accounting, social media, or CRM?
- Do you need integrations with marketing tools?
- What’s your budget like? Or are you looking for free tools for startups?
- Can the tools support remote work?
Found your answers? Great!
We’ve put together a list of the best free tools for startups that should cover all those needs:
The 5 Best Tools For Startups
Your startup may be a young company, but your ambitions are as large as those of corporate giants.
This means you’ll end up handling almost as many functions as a large company.
All by yourself.
And if you think hiring more people or getting funded is the only solution, think again.
The right tool can be the real game-changer.
So just pick one of these free tools for startups and make your scaling-up dream a reality!
1. ClickUp: an all-in-one project management software
ClickUp is the world’s highest-rated project management and productivity tool.
This SaaS tool is great for any startup or small team, thanks to our feature-rich Free Forever version for all types of project management. 😎
ClickUp key features
A. Create and assign Tasks
A startup can be a hornet’s nest of tasks that seem to blend into each other.
And if you think it’s a jumble now, tracking them all is only going to get even more challenging as you grow.
However, with ClickUp, you can make it seem easy.
Create as many tasks as you want and immediately assign them to one or Multiple Assignees.
B. Apply the Kanban method using Board view
Use it to visualize and streamline your startup’s entire workflow.
Impress your startup founder with how easily you’re sending tasks from ‘assigned’ to ‘done!’
C. Automate routine activities
Why work hard when you can work smart?
Let ClickUp share some of your workload.
It doubles up as an automation tool.
It saves you a ton of time that you can spend signing new investors for your startup. 🤝
D. Say goodbye to errors with Proofing
Imagine if no one spotted a typo in your ad, and it got published. *gasp*
Fast forward to the consequences: You’re now a meme.
Good luck fixing that.
To answer that question: inadequate proofing software.
Try ClickUp’s Proofing features instead.
It’s the perfect way to mark design mockups with changes.
Get it right, every time!
E. Create knowledge bases using Docs
You probably have to deal with tons of documentation like work guidelines, employee contracts, customer data, etc.
Create such documents in ClickUp Docs with Rich Text Editing like fonts, banners, heading, etc.!
Moreover, it’s a team effort.
You can collaborate on Docs in real-time with your team members.
F. Manage your workflow using Custom Task Statuses
We love pin-up boards, sticky notes, and dry erase markers.
That’s why we created their digital equivalent!
Bring your workflow to this task management software, and visualize it with Custom Task Statuses. It lets you create task statuses to suit the workflow in your startup.
They can be ‘in-development,’ ‘in-design,’ ‘waiting for approval,’ ‘delayed,’ etc.
Guess who won’t have to waste time on calls or emails to keep task progress updates? That’s right. It’s you!
G. Gain insights using Dashboards
As a business owner, you want to know where you’re excelling, how you’re misfiring, and how far the project is from completion.
And we know just how.
H. Track work hours with Native Time Tracking
They say time is money.
You track your money. But what about your time?
It’s time you begin.
And good for you, your task management tool is also a time tracking expert!
With our Native Time Tracking, you can track work hours for different tasks without any external help.
- Manage projects using the feature-rich Free Forever plan
- Work even when the internet is down with the Offline Mode
- Turn your project management software into a CRM tool with the Zendesk integration
- Add any app or website alongside your ClickUp tasks such as Youtube, Google Calendars, Twitter, etc. using the Embed view
- Calculate easily using Custom Fields
- Send and receive emails right from ClickUp tasks using Email ClickApp
- Automatically import data from another project management tool
- Use Custom Notifications to decide what activities and actions should trigger notifications
- Visualize project progress and identify Dependencies using Gantt chart view
- Protect sensitive information with Permissions
- Decide how you want to view your tasks with Multiple views
- Integrate with tons of apps like Zoom, Evernote, Calendly, etc.
- Can’t export Dashboards
Don’t you worry! Our team is constantly learning and growing like your startup. And that’s why we ensure your recommendations are always heard and your concerns addressed.
Check out our development roadmap to see what’s in store.
ClickUp offers three pricing options:
- Free Forever: unlimited tasks, 100MB file storage, and Time Tracking
- Unlimited ($5/member per month): unlimited integrations, Dashboards, and Goals
- Business ($9/member per month): all Automations, Custom Task IDs, and extra Guests
ClickUp user rating
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2100+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (2400+ reviews)
2. Mailchimp: email marketing tool
Mailchimp is one of the best startup tools for your marketing strategy needs.
It’s also popular for the cute monkey logo. 🐵
Fun fact: When you go to their website, place your cursor over the logo, and the monkey winks. Try it. 😉
Mailchimp is the go-to app in the email marketing and newsletters game. Use it to create Email marketing campaigns, websites and convert potential customers with marketing automation.
Mailchimp key features
- Landing page creator
- Branded and transactional email creator
- Creative and design assistance for Facebook and Instagram ads
- Allows target audience management
- Carries out excellent email marketing campaigns
- Offers CRM feature for efficient marketing
- Can become expensive as your contact list keeps growing
- Only 30-day email support for the free plan
- Limited options for landing page designs
Mailchimp offers four pricing options:
- Free: site analytics, behavioral targeting, and audience dashboard
- Essential ($10.47/month): social media channel posting, surveys, and campaign engagements
- Standard ($15.64/month): marketing tips, classic automations builder, and marketing calendar
- Premium ($312.80/month): custom coded templates, social media post scheduling, and send time optimization
Mailchimp user rating
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (13,900+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (10,900+ reviews)
3. Buffer: social media marketing tool
So you’ve got a brand and a social media account. Now you want to increase reach and convert your target audience into potential customers?
Buffer’s social media publishing features can help you.
The app lets you plan, collaborate, and schedule content that can drive traffic to your social media channels, resulting in business growth.
It’s a useful tool for creating beautiful and engaging social media posts.
And you won’t ever miss a comment from your potential customers on Instagram!
Buffer key features
- Allows direct social media post scheduling
- Sends reminder notifications for pre-planned posts
- Lets you create posting schedules
- Supports all major social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Access limited basic post reports for free
- Simple and clean layout
- Free and Pro plan supports only one user
- Buffer Analytics is expensive and not included in the free plan
- Can’t post Instagram stories automatically
Buffer offers four pricing options:
- Free: one user, three social channels, and third-party integrations
- Pro ($15/month): one user, eight social channels, and custom video thumbnails
- Premium ($65/month): two users, eight social channels, and grid view
- Business ($99/month): six users, 25 social channels, and an Instagram hashtag manager
Buffer user rating
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (1000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (800+ reviews)
4. Zoom: a communication tool
Do we even need an introduction here?
Zoom is one of the finest video conferencing apps with an enormous participant capacity.
You can host virtual meetings, webinars, even virtual parties 🎉 with the best video quality in the market.
The best part? Everyone knows how to use it!
Zoom key features
- You can record meetings
- Control who can join when with the waiting room feature
- Conduct calls with a large number of meeting participants
- Unlimited one-on-one and group meetings
- Multiple integrations such as Google, Zapier, Facebook, etc.
- Integrates with tools like ClickUp
- Can’t live stream your Zoom call to Facebook, Youtube, etc. in the free plan
- Can be expensive for larger teams
- No meeting agenda management
Zoom offers four plans:
- Basic (free): up to 100 participants, screen recording, and polling
- Pro ($14.99/month per license): social media streaming, 1GB cloud space for recordings, and whiteboarding
- Business ($19.99/month per license): up to 300 participants, assigning meeting scheduler, and user management
- Zoom united business($35/month per license): live transcriptions, single sign-on, and company branding
Zoom user rating
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (6,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (33,000+ reviews)
5. Wave: finance and accounting tool
Wave is the perfect accounting software for any startup.
Why? Because it’s entirely free. No hidden charges. No setup fees.
So no sleepless nights because you missed the fine print.
Wave is your one-stop destination for bookkeeping, creating invoices, and scanning receipts.
Prepare yourself to ride the wave of productivity! 🌊🌊🌊
Wave key features
- Dashboard full of business performance analytics
- Sales tax tracker for incomes and expenses
- Cash flow tracker
- Send recurring invoices
- Unlimited receipt scanning
- Unlimited expense and income tracking
- No call support
- No time tracking
- No direct integrations
Wave has just one pricing option, and that’s free!
Wave user rating
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (1,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (200+ reviews)
Get Started With Your Startup!
Growing your startup isn’t easy.
But with the right bunch of people and tools, you have the power to make it to the big leagues.
All the SaaS tools for startups mentioned above will be great co-travelers in your journey, but you still need an experienced and brave captain for your ship.
You need one great tool that can do it all: ClickUp!
It’s the only anchor you need as you sail towards the good times.
So get ClickUp for free today and tide over every challenge!
Evan is a Content Coordinator at ClickUp, where he’s usually absorbed in composing copy making efficiencies more efficient. When weather permits, he can be found jogging around Cleveland. When it doesn’t, he can be found somewhere warm painting, cooking, and consuming all things horror- and fantasy-related.