Are you looking for project management software that can help your scrappy startup stay organized, productive, and on track?
If so, you’re in luck!
In this article, we’ll take a look at the 10 very best project management tools and workflow automation tools for startups in 2024.
Whether you’re just starting out, or looking for a tool to help scale your startup, you’re sure to find one that suits you in the list below! 🎉
What Should You Look for in Project Management Software for Startups?
Choosing versatile and powerful project management software is one of the best tools for startups to get first.
Let’s dive into the key features to watch for when scouting for the perfect project management solution.
- User-friendly vibes: Look for a project management tool that’s as friendly as your team. Go for an interface that’s a breeze to navigate, making it easy for everyone to jump right in without getting lost in a digital maze
- Teamwork makes the dream work: Collaboration is the secret sauce of startup success. Finding the right project management software for startups, one that fosters seamless teamwork, makes all the difference. Features like chat, file sharing, task assignments, and real-time collaboration go a long way
- Project management made fun: Managing tasks and projects should be a joy, not a headache. Seek out a project management tool that lets you create, assign, and track tasks like a pro. Picture colorful Kanban boards, snazzy Gantt charts, and customizable workflows that keep your projects on point
- Grow with the flow: As your startup blossoms, your project management software should grow with you. Keep an eye out for platforms that welcome small teams with open arms. Also, take time to verify that the project management software you choose allows your team to scale up effortlessly
- Power of connections: Seek out a task management platform that plays nicely with your CRM for startups, communication tools, and document management programs. When everything syncs well, that’s when the magic happens
- Insights that wow: Unleash the power of data! Choose a program that dishes out juicy reports, metrics, and insights. With data on your side, you’ll make smarter decisions and fine-tune your startup’s journey.
- Handy templates: Templates help processes move quicker. That means more free time for you and your other team members at the end of the day. 🏖️
Some project management and task management platforms provide templates for you. While you’re checking them out, be sure to look for communication plan templates to help outline your project strategies and objectives.
By keeping these pointers in mind, you’ll find team collaboration and project management software that clicks with your startup’s personality and needs.
The 10 Best Project Management Software for Startups To Use in 2024
ClickUp is an all-in-one project management software that allows you to execute every aspect of your work more efficiently.
From team collaboration to workflow management and task tracking, ClickUp provides an abundance of integrations, tools, and project management templates.
Its gigantic selection of features helps to speed up the tasks required for multiple projects and to advise your project controls. 🥰
ClickUp best features
- Whiteboards and chat channels provide real-time or asynchronous team collaboration software solutions
- 1,000+ integrations (including Google Drive, Slack, Github, and Figmato) improve your productivity and allow you to operate more efficiently
- 50+ Task automations let you streamline all your project management workflows, visualize task dependencies, and work on complex projects within the same space
- Time tracking provides a way for your project manager to report from any device to get an update on project progress
- Use ClickUp Goals software to track your start up’s OKRs
- Online Help Center, ClickUp webinars, and customer support help you quickly customize your environment and onboard team members
- Resource management and allocation features to know who is working on what and where your delivery or creative teams have room to take on new tasks
- New AI features for startups vault ClickUp into the running as one of the best AI project management tools on the market to improve content production times and the way you’re managing projects
- Project templates like the ClickUp Startup Canvas Whiteboard Template to help you set milestones and enable your creative teams to execute ideas more quickly and manage projects between departments
- Massive tool, templates, and integration options may be overwhelming for some
- Free Forever
- Unlimited Plan: $7/month per user
- Business Plan: $12/month per user
- Enterprise Plan: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (3,714+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (8,187+ reviews)
Check out these SaaS examples!
Trello is a task and project management software that uses cards and boards to organize projects.
It allows the project manager to track and assign tasks, check on task status, and track project progress. All in all, it’s an environment that’s flexible and fun to use.
Trello’s strength lies in its project management simplicity. Its straightforward, colorful interface makes onboarding easy and welcoming. Don’t we all love a bit of that in our workday?
Trello’s simple approach makes life a bit easier for early-stage startups that don’t have time for extensive onboarding.
Hands down, people agree Trello is a great project management tool for small startups wanting to manage their workflows. But larger teams managing complex projects may struggle to stay organized within the system.
Trello best features
- Drag-and-drop cards are fun and easy to use on unlimited projects
- Customizable interface lets users tailor UI to their work style
- Real-time commenting make team collaboration a breeze
- Task management software has features for assigning and tracking
- Offers some project templates to use on its project management software
- Lacking the type of label and filter system that would make multiple-project tracking efficient
- Difficult to keep organized if not managed carefully
- One of the few task management options on this list that doesn’t offer time tracking
Trello offers four pricing plans:
- Basic: Free
- Standard: $5/month per user
- Premium: $10/month per user
- Enterprise: $17.50/month per user
Trello ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (13,302+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (22,620+ reviews)
Height users love its dynamic visualizations, filtering options, advanced chat features, and extensive customization options.
The project management software has customers raving about its polished interface and ability to handle complex workflows across many departments.
Height prides itself on the built-in adaptability that allows users to build systems and workflows that can scale as they grow.
Height best features
- Outstanding chat abilities provide separate real-time chat rooms for each task
- Highly scalable system may be a good match for startups looking to grow into project management software that can handle multiple workflows and departments
- Sleek user interface provides plenty of filters and customization options
- Lack of verified or balanced reviews
Height offers three pricing plans:
- Team: $6.99/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Height ratings and reviews
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
Service-based startups hoping to maximize their operational and financial performance with project management software may be a good fit for Forecast.
Its AI-powered software provides a slew of tools to help manage tasks, projects, resources, finances, billing, time tracking, and more.
Forecast customers rave about its customer service and intuitive platform.
Height is best for companies with 50 or more employees, so early-stage startups may want to talk with a salesperson to see if its project management software would be a good fit.
Forecast best features
- Advanced data insights for more informed decisions
- Excellent planning and progress tracking tools with all-in-one task and deadline views
- Continual updates based on user feedback
- Best for companies with 50+ employees, may not be a good fit for early-stage startups
- Not mobile-friendly
- Updates may cause temporary viewing glitches
Forecast offers three pricing plans:
- Lite: $29/month per seat
- Pro: Contact for pricing
- Plus: Contact for pricing
Forecast ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (104+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (59+ reviews)
If you’re craving a user-friendly interface in a program that can handle comprehensive project management features, give Freedcamp a try!
It avoids overwhelming team members by allowing you to install only the features you need. Freedcamp helps small-to-medium-sized startups looking to increase productivity and speed
However, the system doesn’t provide an integrated email client or Android support. If those features are a priority, Freedcamp may not be the best choice.
Freedcamp best features
- Free plan provides a wide selection of options and features
- Helpful project management tools for startups, such as task prioritization and to-do lists, help anyone manage anything 👏
- Project maps and scalable WBS planning
- Learning curve can be steep
- No integrated email client
- Lack of Android support
Freedcamp offers four pricing plans:
- Pro: $1.49/month per user
- Business: $7.49/month per user
- Enterprise: $16.99/month per user
Freedcamp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (137+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (464+ reviews)
6. Zoho Projects
With Zoho as your project management software solution, you can plan, track progress, and collaborate on the same platform you use to generate invoices, track expenses, and analyze spending.
Startups will love the wide selection of customization options and the more advanced features folded into one comprehensive project management tool that grows right along with you.
Consider testing the integrations and features you need before fully committing to Zoho Projects.
Zoho Projects best features
- Huge choice of automated features
- Awesome chat
- Built-in finance tools
- Unlimited projects on paid plans
Zoho Projects limitations
- Limited views compared to other project management software options in this list
- Some features may be cumbersome and difficult to use
Zoho Projects pricing
Zoho offers three pricing plans:
- Premium: $5/month per user
- Enterprise: $10/month per user
Zoho Projects ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (360+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (349+ reviews)
Try out these Zoho alternatives!
Airtable is project management software that delivers the ultimate customization and flexibility for startup project management software. You can share data, build connected apps, and connect teams from its AI-assisted, no-coding-required, software.
The project management company claims 80% of Fortune 500 companies rely on Airtable’s Connected Apps platform. Want more control over your startup’s project management tools? Airtable delivers, in an environment that can safely scale.
As you might imagine, such flexible task management tools come with a learning curve.
Plan on giving yourself some extra time in the beginning as you learn how to make the most of this project management software.
Airtable best features
- Highly customizable, so you can create the perfect UI for your team
- Easy data importing and management
- Strong integration capabilities
- Higher learning curve means it could take time to get up to speed
Airtable offers four pricing plans:
- Plus: $10/month per user
- Pro: $20/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Airtable ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (2,135+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,836+ reviews)
Put all your files, conversations, and integrations on the same page for quick and easy project management on Slack.
Real-time messaging, searchable file and conversation records, and a growing list of integrations make it a popular choice for many companies.
While Slack is not your traditional project management software option, it is hard to beat when it comes to communicating with team members. Its UI feels more like a social media platform than work.
Don’t let its simplicity fool you! Slack is powerful communication management software for startups with features and tools that make everyone’s job easier.
Heads up, though: you’ll probably want to tailor the default notification settings. Otherwise, you can quickly get overwhelmed with a flood of interruptions from multiple teams and discussions.
Slack best features
- Welcoming environment makes team collaboration feel natural and fun
- Works seamlessly on mobile, desktop, or browser
- Easy onboarding (a HUGE advantage for busy startups)
- Multiple teams and channels may become difficult to follow
- Default settings, which can be changed, send notifications on every new message (those interruptions can quickly frustrate users)
Slack offers five pricing plans:
- Pro: $7.25/month per user
- Business: $12.50/month per user
- Enterprise Grid: Contact for pricing
- GovSlack: Contact for pricing
Slack ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (31,495+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (23,036+ reviews)
Check out these Slack integrations!
Notion’s connected workspace provides a simple way to manage project planning for your startup. Its drag-and-drop task management system and planning features are easy and fun to use.
Notion is a versatile project management tool for people wanting to supervise both business and personal projects from the same platform.
For an extra charge, you can add AI features that help your team write, brainstorm, and generate reports more quickly.
Notion best features
- Customizable workspace
- Well-organized UI
- Project management AI add-on available
- Heavy learning curve for large teams (works better for small teams or invidi
- Limited AI capabilities for right now
- Limited features compared to some of the best project management software options out there
Notion offers four pricing plans:
- Plus: $8/month per user
- Business: $15/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- Notion AI (addon): $8/month per user
Notion ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (4,713+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,732+ reviews)
Learn about the best tools for marketing startups!
If flexible project layouts and native emails are a priority for your startup’s next project management solution, Hive could be the best project and task management solution and software for your startup.
Its easy-to-use platform integrates with existing project management tools for startups.
Hive is like a boost of efficiency for project managers juggling tasks, time, resources, and collaboration.
The platform sometimes lags on mobile devices, but its performance on desktops shines. 🖥️
Hive best features
- Guaranteed easy-to-use
- Excellent task-tracking and task chats
- Ample subtasks and Gantt charts
- May run slow on mobile devices
- Limited third-party integrations
Hive offers three pricing plans:
- Teams: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Hive ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (447+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (183+ reviews)
Startup Project Management Software FAQs
Why do startups need project management software?
Project management software can help startups stay organized, collaborate effectively, and maintain productivity. It also helps with resource allocation and managing timelines for projects, making it an essential tool for any startup looking to grow and succeed.
Are all project management software options suitable for startups?
No, not all project management software options are suitable for startups. Some may be better suited for larger companies with more resources and complex projects. Startups should look for software specifically designed for small businesses or early-stage companies, with features and pricing plans tailored to their needs.
What are some common mistakes startups make when choosing project management software?
One common mistake is not considering the scalability of the software. Startups often need a flexible solution that can grow with their company, so it’s important to choose a software that can accommodate future growth and additional features. Another mistake is not involving team members in the decision-making process. It’s essential to get input from all team members who will be using the software to ensure it meets their needs and preferences. Lastly, startups may overlook the importance of customer support and training resources, which are essential for getting the most out of any software.
Can startups use free project management software?
Yes, there are many free project management software options that can be suitable for startups. However, it’s important to carefully evaluate the features and limitations of each free option to ensure they meet the specific needs of the startup. Some free software may have limited features or restrictions on the number of team members or projects, which may not be suitable for a growing startup. Paid options typically offer more features and support, but startups with limited budgets may find free software to be a viable option.
Finding Project Management Tools for Startups Starts Here
So there you have it, the 10 best project management tools for startups in 2024!
With all of the free versions and affordable plans, why not test a few before you commit? Set the bar high by trying ClickUp first! You’ll get more powerful integrations, customizations, and widgets than you ever dreamed of.
Sign up for FREE or get in touch with one of our team members today.