In this age of digital distractions, we’re all tormented by an ever-expanding array of professional and personal tasks and responsibilities. Isn’t it funny how they seem to multiply faster than we can check them off our to-do lists? ✔️
But we’re not here to whine today—rather to beat the overwhelm! Over the years, productivity experts have zeroed in on several ways to help you corral your personal tasks and gain control of your time, and we’ve compiled them for you!
Whether you’re a seasoned multitasker looking to fine-tune your work approach or a rookie just starting the journey of task management, we’ve got your back. In this article, we’ll break down:
- Top benefits of keeping tabs on everyday tasks
- 10 intricate tips for handling and tracking tasks more efficiently
So, are you ready to explore the best methods for reducing stress, boosting productivity, and smashing those goals?
Beyond Stress Management: Benefits of Keeping Track of Tasks at the Workplace
We all know what disorganized tasks lead to: Stress, anxiety, and poor self-esteem, especially at work.
But meticulously tracking tasks does more than keep stress at bay! First off, you’ll notice a surge in productivity—your mind will be clearer, allowing you to identify and solve issues at work easily and chase growth milestones. Some other perks include:
- Goal alignment: Task tracking within teams helps all members operate toward the same goals and build a sense of solidarity
- Improved time management: Tracking tasks allows you to allocate your time wisely. You can prioritize what’s important based on factors like delivery date or urgency and ration your work hours accordingly
- Accountability: When tasks are tracked, there’s no room for ambiguity. Everyone knows what’s expected of them, fostering a culture of responsibility
- Progress visualization: It’s genuinely rewarding to see how far you’ve come. Task tracking allows you to visualize the progress made, boosting morale and motivation to keep striving as you hit your KPIs or personal growth metrics
- Improved decision-making: Having the big picture on all tasks and their statuses makes it easier to make informed decisions
10 Expert Tips on How to Keep Track of Tasks at Work
We’ve got a treasure trove of 10 ways to help you effortlessly track your tasks. From tried-and-true methods to modern tools and strategies, we’ve got you covered. 💫
1. Use reliable task management software
In the battle for effective task monitoring, one of the most powerful weapons at your disposal is a task management tool itself. These new-age tools bring innovation and efficiency at your fingertips, simplifying task tracking with features like:
- Customizable notifications to stay on track with timely reminders
- Task automation to run repetitive tasks on autopilot and save time
- Progress tracking to visualize movement and stay updated on delivery timelines
- Analytics that generate insightful reports to understand your productivity levels and pinpoint areas for improvement
You’re probably wondering: Can a task management tool do ALL that? Yes, ClickUp can!
ClickUp is a versatile, all-in-one task and productivity management solution designed to streamline workflows and boost efficiency in any workspace.
ClickUp 3.0 comes with an intuitive task management suite designed for seamless multitasking and organizing and managing projects at any scale. It equips you with features to plan custom task flows within deadlines and monitor everything in clean Dashboards.
What’s better? With ClickUp AI, you drastically reduce the time and mental energy spent on creating and monitoring tasks. It combines natural language processing and bre-built prompts, enabling you to:
- Create tasks and project timelines in seconds
- Generate action items and subtasks in the context of tasks
- Summarize comment threads and meeting notes to get updates on tasks
If you’re leading a large cross-functional team, use ClickUp’s Workload view as your task management genie. The layout grants you an all-encompassing look at your team’s assignments, due dates, and workload equilibrium.
The Table view is equally potent, giving you a spreadsheet-like format for task tracking. Its customizable columns support detailed record-keeping, sorting, filtering, and swift bulk actions.
2. Prioritize tasks based on effort or urgency
When it comes to staying on top of your tasks, here’s a little trick that can make your life a whole lot easier: prioritize them based on factors like urgency or effort required. Experts recommend using the eat-the-frog technique, which requires handling unpleasant or challenging tasks first, boosting a sense of achievement and relief.
Need help figuring out what your frog is? Leverage the Eisenhower Matrix!
It’s a simple four-quadrant box that helps you plot, visualize, and determine priority tasks by urgency and importance, sorting out less urgent activities that you can either delegate or not do at all.
If you want to feel more in control and less overwhelmed, fall back on the ClickUp Eisenhower Matrix Template. It lets you hit the ground running with a ready-made tool for capturing priority tasks efficiently.
This visual aid is like your task prioritization compass, helping you make quicker, more accurate decisions about what requires your immediate attention. Drill down into each quadrant to define what to Do (your frog), Schedule (tadpole?), Delegate, or Delete!
Download this free task management template today to beat work anxiety with meaningful action!
3. Set due dates and reminders to stay on top of deadlines
Ah, deadlines, the heartbeat of productivity! 💓
As much as we might hate them, they demand we:
- Add structure and order to our workflows, ensuring nothing slips through the cracks
- Manage time more effectively to avoid missed deadlines
- Eliminate confusion and prompt people in a team to work together and get the job done
One sure-shot way to reduce the stress of looming deadlines is through task and due date reminders. Trust ClickUp Reminders to help you out with features like:
- Setting daily reminders for you and your teammates
- Getting task summaries of each workday
- Managing notifications on the go from browser, desktop, and mobile devices
There’s more! With ClickUp Task templates, you can easily add and edit due dates in various views, such as Gantt, Board, Calendar, and Table view, enabling unmatched flexibility in visualizing deadlines.
Try our favorite to-do list templates to map and remap your due dates faster than ever:
- ClickUp Daily Task List Template
- ClickUp Work To Do Template
- ClickUp Simple To-Dos Template
- ClickUp Simple Task Management Template
4. Break down large tasks into smaller subtasks for better management
Many of us make the mistake of adding vague tasks to our to-do list. For example, consider a builder named Bob adding “Build a new house” as a to-do item. Would that make sense? No! He needs to add items like “Finalize building design” and “Waterproof raw materials” to his list—that’s the fine line between task and project management.
The takeaway: break down mammoth tasks into smaller, more manageable subtasks. This isn’t just a neat trick—it’s a proven strategy that enhances productivity to make your project feel less daunting.
Start by identifying the key components of a task and assign a subtask for each. As you tick off each subtask, you should be a step closer to completing the project.
Let’s say you’re handling a massive marketing campaign for a new product launch. In this case, a shortcut would be to use the ClickUp Project Management Tasks Plan Template to break down your tasks and track their progress in one place.
With this template, you can set up subtasks like designing promotional materials and running social media ads for your marketing campaign. Assign tasks to your team members with specific access controls, ensuring each person’s responsibilities are clear. Then, you can visualize the project’s progress through timelines and Gantt charts, see when each task starts and ends, and ensure everything is on track for the big launch day! 🥳
Pro tip: With Task view 3.0, you can easily create subtasks by clicking the “+” icon next to the subtasks heading. This allows you to add multiple subtasks to a task in a jiff!
5. Establish an accountable chain of authority with task delegation
Team success is all about collective effort, and embracing delegation is the golden rule for tracking who’s responsible for what. 🎖️
Planning a smart delegation network ensures every task can be linked to a chain of authority, responsibility, and accountability. This is especially crucial if you have a remote team that often lacks coordination.
The good news is that ClickUp has several innovative tools to bridge the communication gap by establishing a transparent team hierarchy. Enforce effective delegation and crystal-clear communication standards so that you have someone answerable for every task.
Make use of the ClickUp Calendar To Do List Template and its By Role view to simplify task delegation within your organization. This tool has a default field for Productivity Level, which is ideal for monitoring employee performance. You can also set trackable Goals for each employee and measure their progress through weekly scorecards.
6. Utilize labels or tags to categorize tasks
Ever felt like your to-do list is a chaotic jigsaw puzzle missing a few vital pieces? That’s where labels and tags come to the rescue. They’re like the Sherlock Holmes of task tracing, ensuring each task gets its “elementary” identity, making it a breeze to spot and prioritize. 🕵️
This is all fine and dandy in theory but absolutely satisfying in practice—especially if you’re using ClickUp’s color-coded tags and labels to prioritize.
For instance, agile teams love using the ClickUp Task Management Template for sprints. It lets you set task priorities with colored flags, labeling them as Urgent, High, Normal, or Low, which serves as a visual cue for teams.
This template has built-in Custom Fields to show who’s in charge, when things are due, and how long they might take. Follow task progress through statuses like In Progress, Review, Revision, and Complete.
7. Use filters and search functionality to quickly find specific tasks
You know how hard it can be to find that one needle in the haystack, right? Large teams often suffer from the inability to find task-related info when needed, and it can have a brutal impact on your final output.
With ClickUp’s Universal Search, you can instantly pinpoint the specific item you’re looking for instead of rummaging through an endless list of tasks. Similarly, you can leverage Dashboards and the List view in ClickUp to scan your task progress and deadlines in seconds.
With every plan in ClickUp 3.0, you’ll have the option to choose filters, such as:
- By status: Filter tasks by status, like Completed, In Progress, or Pending so you can quickly identify what demands your attention
- By date: Review tasks based on deadlines and see what’s due when
- By assignee: Particularly useful in team scenarios, as you get to track individual team members’ tasks
8. Create task dependencies to establish relationships between tasks
Defining task dependencies is essential for tracking interconnected tasks. It’s like saying, “Task A, you’ve got to wait for Task B to finish before you can start.”
And guess what? ClickUp lets you set these dependencies right in your tasks or views. You get a visual interface to determine and track which tasks rely on others, ensuring everything happens in the right sequence.
Most ClickUp task templates let you draw some kind of roadmap for completion. You can try the ClickUp Activity List Template to designate a careful task timeline for your team. Create links between tasks and documents to build an advanced database for your workflows.
9. Take advantage of task comments and notes
If you’re neck-deep in tasks, it’s often easy to miss the context of a particular deliverable. For example, you check your task list and find an item called “Review old inventory and send a report.” Now you suddenly don’t remember which inventory to check and who to send the report to! 😅
You’ll find that adding comments and notes to your tasks can provide precise instructions, enhancing your overall tracking process. ClickUp has game-changing features to prevent lost-in-context scenarios. You can use:
- Contextual notes: Use digital sticky notes to jot down insights or thoughts related to a task for future reference
- Instructional comments: Add detailed instructions within the task to guide the assignee, reducing errors and confusion
- Progress logs: Regularly updating task comments with your progress can create a comprehensive log, preventing task duplication
- Proofing: Sharing collaborative feedback and suggestions through proofing can lead to improved task outcomes
10. Regularly review and adjust task lists to stay organized
Every day, set aside a little time to give your to-do list a friendly check-in. We know it sounds tedious, but trust us, you’re only making your tomorrow easier. Take a moment to see what you’ve triumphantly completed and if anything needs adjustment. Make it your daily ritual to get things done, and watch yourself transform into an unbeatable task ninja!
Talking about getting things done (GTD), David Allen’s GTD productivity method is a great way to reduce mental clutter, adopt self-correction measures, and complete work efficiently. It involves planning and tracking tasks through five steps:
The ClickUp Getting Things Done Template takes inspiration from this methodology and combines it with modern tools like pre-built views, Custom Fields, and Docs. It’s your go-to tool to prioritize, track, execute, and, most importantly, organize tasks precisely the way David Allen would approve!
How to Keep Track of Tasks: One Step at a Time
Even with the best task management tools, juggling a plethora of tasks in a day can feel like herding feral cats if you don’t have a plan.
So, let’s nail this step-by-step—here’s a plan that can set you up for success from the get-go:
- Download a task monitoring app of your choice: You can sign up for ClickUp or any other productivity app that you fancy
- Plan your workflows, recurring tasks, and to-do lists: Once you’re set with the app, start with the basics. Create the primary goal, break it down into tasks, define the expected completion parameters, and then assign who’s to do what
- Get your priorities right: Use a system to prioritize daily tasks, such as the Eisenhower Matrix or priority labels, and set up reminders to stay on track
- Start time blocking: If your day tends to get interrupted by unforeseen distractions, we recommend practicing time blocking. It implies allocating specific time slots in your day for non-negotiable tasks. This method helps you prioritize delivery without getting sidetracked
- Finish your calendar integration: Integrate your to-do list or task management app with your calendar to see pending tasks alongside appointments and meetings. For example, you can sync your ClickUp Calendar with any external calendar to streamline your day
- Establish a regular task tracking hygiene: With your workflows set, all you have to do is revisit your task monitoring app as often as you like to check progress
Own Your Workday With ClickUp
Remember that the real magic happens when you apply task-tracking strategies consistently. The first step can be the hardest one to take, but platforms like ClickUp make the process a whole lot easier. With its built-in productivity analytics, time-tracking tools, and routine task Automations, you can shape your workday any way you like!