Top 18 Task Automation Software (Definition & Examples)
Today, task automation software is used almost everywhere.
There are robots in the assembly lines to automate manufacturing.
Our bill payments and vacation responders are automated.
Even corporations use artificial intelligence or specialized automation software to boost their efficiency, like EVE, an automated robot in WALL-E. 🤖
Automation has allowed us to reduce the amount of manual tasks in our workflow, resulting in increased productivity, better consistency, more time to focus on the core aspects of the business, and so much more.
It’s safe to say that automation technology has forever changed the way we live and operate our day-to-day lives.
In this article, we’ll learn about task automation and highlight the 18 best task automation software available today. Read on to discover what each tool has to offer and find out which one could be the perfect match for your business. 💘
- What Is Task Automation?
- How to Choose an Automation Software?
- 18 Best Task Automation Software
- Task Automation Examples
- Which Automation Tool Will Power Your Work-Ship?
Let the app exploration begin.
What Is Task Automation?
Task automation involves using a tool or software to reduce or eliminate the manual effort required to perform simple tasks. The goal is to automate tasks and make processes more efficient to increase human productivity.
Now, the right task automation tools for your needs will depend on the processes or tasks you wish to automate.
To help you decide, let’s explore some of the best task automation tools available today.
How to Choose an Automation Software?
When you start your search for the best automation software for your business, we recommend keeping a list of the top features you are looking for in an automation tool.
Below are useful automation software features to look out for:
- Email capabilities
18 Best Task Automation Software
Here are 18 popular automation tools that should be on your radar:
ClickUp is one of the highest-rated task automation software and project management tools used by productive teams worldwide.
With ClickUp, you can create recurring reminders for meetings, automatically assign tasks, move statuses, post comments, and more.
Let’s see what makes ClickUp the #1 task automation software on our list.
ClickUp’s intelligent automation not only reduces your manual effort but also helps you automate tasks to free up resources and put them to creative use.
How does automation work in ClickUp?
If a trigger happens and meets a condition, ClickUp automatically executes a specific action.
We’ll explain with a WALL-E example.
EVE, the Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator’s task:
If a specimen of vegetation is found on earth, place it inside the chest cavity and deactivate.
With ClickUp, you can automate EVE’s task by setting the three aspects:
- Trigger: vegetation specimen
- Condition: found on earth
- Action: place it inside the chest cavity and deactivate
All of that, without any coding!
And while you can create custom automations like above, this powerful workflow automation software offers 50+ pre-built automations to help you get started instantly.
Here are some ways you can automate tasks:
- Automatically assign people to tasks
- Add a tag to the task when a priority changes
- Change the status when the due date arrives
- Post a comment when a status or assignee changes
But that’s not all.
Here are more reasons why ClickUp is a great automation solution:
- ClickUp Recurring tasks: set automated tasks on repeat so you don’t miss important work
- ClickUp Task reminders: create a reminder from any comment in a task or notification
- Custom task statuses: add different stages for any manual task to keep track of what your team is working on
- Form view: collect the information from a form and send it automatically to a list
- Gantt charts: get an overview of a specific task to manage deadlines, track dependencies, and handle bottlenecks accordingly
- Assigned comments: if a comment requires an action, quickly assign it to any teammate
- Task checklists: create to-do lists of routine tasks to mark items as either done or not done
- Task dependencies: add ‘blocking’ or ‘waiting on’ dependencies between tasks to set an order of operations
- Due dates: set deadlines for a particular task, subtask, or list
- Email in ClickUp: send emails automatically based on custom fields, form submissions, or task events
- Integrations: choose from 1,000+ integrations for better workflow automation
ClickUp has a Free Forever Plan that supports unlimited tasks and members. The paid plans start as low as $5/user per month.
ClickUp user ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (3,280+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,260+ reviews)
Tallyfy is a great automation tool that lets you automate mundane tasks without coding or complex flowcharts. For instance, you can use it to show or hide tasks based on powerful rules.
However, this task scheduler offers limited customization for the user dashboard.
Guess you can’t tally your process automation the way you want.
Tallyfy key features
- Free assignment of tasks and forms for data collection
- ‘Report issue’ feature to segment chats
- Rules setting to hide and show tasks
- Structured form fields to use and organize data
Tallyfy pricing plans start at $5/user per month.
Tallyfy customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.3 (5+ reviews)
3. Zoho Flow
Zoho Flow offers excellent business process automation to counter information silos. You can use it to connect your key apps and automate multi-step workflows.
But on the downside, it has limited integration options outside the Zoho ecosystem.
So, if you work with various apps, you may have to explore other automation tools that let you do so.
Zoho Flow key features
- Zoho Flow’s logic feature to create contextual workflows
- Deluge (Zoho’s scripting language) to help data flow between apps
- Centralized log of each workflow’s history
- Dashboard to view all business processes and metrics
Zoho Flow pricing
Zoho Flow pricing plans start at $10/month.
Zoho Flow customer ratings
- G2: 3.9 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (5+ reviews)
Jira is a task automation tool that lets you build rules in just a few clicks. For example, you can decide when a subtask closes, auto-assign issues to engineers, schedule different tasks, etc.
However, you can’t assign multiple users to the same issue, so you’ll end up doing a few tasks manually anyways.
Jira key features
- Wide range of automation templates
- Sandbox and release tracks to manage product changes and updates
- Set automation rules across multiple projects
- Integrate with popular software like Slack, GitHub, etc.
Jira is free for up to 10 users. Its paid plan starts at $7/user per month.
Jira customer ratings
- G2: 4.2 (3,900+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4 (10,600+ reviews)
Check out these great alternatives to Jira.
With Wrike, you can create team-specific automation to streamline business processes.
You can use digital publishing and shared team calendars to keep due dates clear and shorten feedback loops.
However, Wrike’s mobile app doesn’t strike a chord with its users.
Wrike key features
- Customized dashboards and request forms
- Visual proofing and automated approval systems
- AI-powered service automation and project risk prediction
- Custom request forms to auto-create and auto-assign tasks
Wrike offers a free plan. Paid plans start at $9.80/user per month.
Wrike customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (1,670+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (1,670+ reviews)
Learn more about these Wrike alternatives.
If you’re looking for robotic process automation or test automation, you can try LeapWork.
It’s a no-code tool with a process automation language that everyone can understand and use to scale.
However, debugging complex workflows can be tricky.
You’ll have to take a leap of faith to use LeapWork.
LeapWork key features
- Supports web and desktop applications built on any platform
- Hyper-visual representation of bugs
- Advanced calendar assistant to get an overview of tasks
- Workflow and assignee management
LeapWork pricing is available on request.
LeapWork customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (40+ reviews)
You can use ProcessMaker as a business process automation tool to automate repetitive tasks like form and approval-based processes across departments.
You can connect to third-party systems via API and also leverage robotic process automation for more functionality.
However, it’s difficult to add a new automated process in ProcessMaker.
ProcessMaker key features
- Business process modeler to drag and drop tasks and decision points
- Dashboards to monitor processes
- No-code forms and display screens
- Approve or reject requests directly from email inbox or Slack
The standard premium version of this app costs $1,495/month (billed annually).
ProcessMaker customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (240+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (170+ reviews)
No coding skills are required to automate your workflow or business process with Pipefy.
Simplify request management, deploy digital workflows, and reduce errors by automating manual work.
Pipefy key features
- Custom integrations from chat apps to ERPs
- Service portals centralize documents, policies, and request forms
- Automated emails along with templates
- Advanced reports filter and combine information from processes
Pipefy offers a free plan. Paid plans start at $22/user per month.
Pipefy customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (170+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (260+ reviews)
Zapier works brilliantly as a third-party connector for 750+ apps. It lets you integrate, automate, and innovate with just a few clicks.
However, the whole integration thing can get quite complicated. You may want to just zap out of it.
Zapier key features
- Automate multiple tasks with a single trigger
- Filters to set the ground rules
- Zap history to keep a running log of automation
- Automated workflow templates
Zapier has a free plan. Its paid plan starts at $29.99/month.
Zapier customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (740+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,800+ reviews)
As Windows lacks a macro recorder, RoboTask is a desktop automation tool designed specifically for Windows PC.
It has a macro recorder to record mouse and keyboard actions for automating tasks.
However, it can take a while to get used to its scary and outdated interface.
So who’s going first?
RoboTask key features
- Runs applications and open documents automatically
- Manages automatic backups
- Sends letters and files by email
- Acts as an alarm clock
RoboTask costs $150/license.
RoboTask customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
Alfred is a workflow automation tool for Mac users. You can use it as a hotkey tool to navigate your interface with the keyboard or automate workflows.
However, Alfred doesn’t offer good community support for plugins.
Alfred key features
- Clipboard history to locate any text, image, or file
- Powerpack to create an automated workflow
- Deep integration with macOS to give system commands
- File buffer to select and take action on multiple files simultaneously
You can download this workflow management software for free. Contact sales for paid plan pricing.
Alfred customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: N/A
Kissflow is a business process management and workflow automation tool that lets you customize any process.
You don’t need coding knowledge for task automation.
However, with Kissflow, you can kiss goodbye to ease of migration.
Kissflow key features
- Drag and drop forms to create apps
- Real-time analytics for automated processes
- Process and workflow management without code
- Scalable to handle large data volume and complexity
Kissflow starts at $12/user per month.
Kissflow customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (470+ reviews)
- Capterra: 3.8 (10+ reviews)
Integrify is automation software that lets you design your process apps with forms, service portals, and reports.
However, it’s challenging to build a complex workflow or business process here.
Integrify key features
- Form designer to create re-usable forms
- Free, pre-built working process apps
- Customized notifications, reminders, and escalations
- Custom reports and dashboards
Integrify pricing is available on request.
Integrify customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (10+ review)
14. Gravity Flow
Gravity Flow is a WordPress plugin to create customized workflows that help automate your form-based processes and reduce human error. For example, use it to automate vacation requests, admission forms, purchase orders, etc.
However, since it’s expensive, it might make it harder for you to gravitate towards Gravity Flow.
Gravity Flow key features
- 40+ ready-to-use steps to design workflows
- Drag and drop process builder
- Detailed reports on each task and its bottlenecks
- Audit trail for a detailed timeline and activity log
Gravity Flow pricing
Gravity Flow pricing plans start at $99/year.
Gravity Flow customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
Flokzu is a business process management and workflow automation software.
Use its drag-and-drop interface to combine tasks, set business rules, deadlines, etc.
But this tool lacks something that could be useful in your process management.
Its drag-and-drop functionality fails to work with processes that have multiple branching paths.
You can hope for success by fluke on Flokzu.
Flokzu key features
- Timers and due dates for deadline enforcement
- Custom reports
- Database updates automatically using information from APIs
- Automated emails
Flokzu pricing plans start at $15/user per month.
Flokzu customer ratings
- G2: 4.9/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: N/A
Nintex is an easy-to-use automation tool for managing and optimizing any business process.
It offers a built-in drag-and-drop connector that makes it easier to visualize complex processes.
Nintex key features
- Robotic process automation for repetitive tasks
- DocGen® to build and share documents within Salesforce or Office 365
- Online forms to capture and submit data
- K2 Cloud software to design an automated workflow visually
Nintex pricing starts at $910/month.
Nintex customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (660+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (70+ reviews)
Trello is a popular project management and collaboration tool that offers built-in automation for routine tasks.
With this automation software, you can also expand with more features as your teamwork grows.
However, this automation tool only works if you’re online.
Prepare for radio silence.
Trello key features
- Natural language commands to automate anything
- Due date commands to trigger actions
- Calendar commands to perform actions at a specific time or day
- Custom buttons to build processes
Trello has a free plan. Paid plans start at $6/user per month.
Trello customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (11,870+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (19,770+ reviews)
Check out these great alternatives to Trello.
Make (formerly Integromat) is the leading visual platform for anyone to design, build, and automate anything—from tasks and workflows to apps and systems—without the need for coding skills.
Make enables individuals, teams, and enterprises across all verticals to create powerful custom solutions that scale their businesses faster than ever.
Make Key Features
- Multi-step scenarios with branching logic
- Automation toolset (filters, iterators, aggregators, routers, error handlers)
- 1,000+ available apps and 6,000 available endpoints
- Possibility to connect to any API with its HTTP module
Make has a forever-free plan offering 1,000 operations/month. Its paid plans start at $9/month.
Make Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.8/5 (160+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (230+ reviews)
Task Automation Examples
Invoice Task Automations
Using automation software can help you stay organized if you are handling invoices for your business.
Automation software can send an automatic reminder whenever you need to send invoices via emails.
It can also automate the invoicing process by:
- Automatically scheduling and sending recurring invoices
- Tracking whether the invoices have been paid
HR Task Automations
HR departments deal with a large number of recurring tasks.
HR teams can use automation software to automate tasks like:
- Screening potential candidates
- Managing benefits
- Scheduling appointments
- Administrative tasks
Which Automation Tool Will Power Your Work-Ship?
The automated project management tools listed here have some great task automation features to offer.
However, ClickUp leads the fleet with 50+ workflow automations and a feature-rich Free Forever Plan.
With this tool, you can automate a recurring task, set recurring reminders, create custom task statuses… the possibilities are endless.
Join ClickUp for free to sit back and see it handle all your work for you!