How does your team quickly plan projects, track progress, and measure success? And how do you do it without a complete view of your tasks from start to finish?
While it’s certainly not a new process, more teams are relying on project management tools with Gantt chart software to visualize all their tasks over time. These tools are essential to help you stick to project schedules, budgets, and deadlines.
After all, time is money! 💸
Speaking of money, some of Gantt chart features get costly in hurry–especially when it’s buried in a platform of expensive features. But for this blog, we’re sticking to a budget and only showing you the best free Gantt chart software options!
You may be surprised to hear it, but there are plenty of powerful Gantt chart tools out there that are completely free. So what are we waiting for?
Let’s take a look at the 18 free Gantt chart software options for 2023 and beyond!
First, let’s determine what makes a Gantt chart and its benefits in project management.
What is a Gantt Chart?
A Gantt chart is a horizontally stacked bar chart that allows you to visualize your project on a timeline and easily track the status of your project tasks. It’s an essential project management tracking method because it allows you to closely follow the status updates of your project tasks.
Gantt charts help project managers and team leads visualize tasks and project timelines. These charts show a full view of who’s working on what, the order of each task, and whether tasks overlap or link to one another.
Why not get started today? Download your free Gantt chart maker template and see how easy it is to build a project timeline!
What Are the Benefits of Gantt Chart Maker Software
Online Gantt software helps you visualize linked tasks, check the amount of time to finish specific tasks and verify who’s assigned to each part of the project.
Using a Gantt chart is one of the best ways to streamline your work processes, which is beneficial if you want to see where your individual activities intersect and change. In fact, Gantt Chart software helps you:
- Visualize connected tasks, due dates, and dependencies
- Monitor the amount of time it takes to finish tasks
- Verify who on your team is assigned to each part of the project
- Understand how tasks and Milestones relate to one another
- Prevent tasks from moving on without specific work being completed
We’d recommend setting up a Gantt chart online after you already have your project plan and due dates ready. Then you can schedule your tasks, fill in the deadlines, locate the task dependency, and assign it to the right team members.
Experienced project managers can use work breakdown structures to split duties into smaller sections. This makes it easier to assign the appropriate project deliverables for each Gantt section.
Once you’ve got your Gantt chart running, you’ll have a better view to actually see any potential roadblocks, projects at risk of falling behind, critical path issues, or any workarounds that could keep you on track.
Your executive team or clients will love Gantt charts because they’re easy to understand in a presentation. It shows the individual tasks without diving into the specifics. 📊
18 Best Gantt Chart Software for Free in 2023
Here’s a complete list of the top 18 free Gantt chart software you can use to manage projects and timelines.
ClickUp is the world’s highest-rated productivity and the best free Gantt chart software used by highly-productive teams in small and large companies. From planning and scheduling tasks with time estimates t high-level overviews of everything in your Workspace, ClickUp is the ultimate project management tool.
One of the most requested features from our users, since we started, was the opportunity to create beautiful Gantt charts in ClickUp. And we wanted to make sure we did it right. ClickUp gives you several ways to view different tasks, projects, and Spaces on the ClickUp Gantt Chart view.
On top of that, ClickUp has a ton of other project scheduling features. Use the Workload view to help with resource management, calculate project budgets, and create a balanced workload system for your entire team. Go about managing projects the way you want to with Custom Statuses for your tasks.
Whatever you choose, ClickUp is the best Gantt chart software option for 2023 because of its endless features to successfully complete your current and future projects.
ClickUp key features
- Assign tasks to multiple assignees: Assign tasks and specific groups or teams to instantly use your timeline for managing tasks and to determine resource management needs per task
- Advanced sorting: Easily tag tasks with client names to see how tasks link up in the Timeline view so you don’t have to create to-do lists for your related tasks
- Project scheduling and time management: Work on the right tasks at the right time with detailed start dates and due dates so team members can see when specific tasks need work and track the time it takes to complete
- Task dependencies: Create dynamic Gantt charts online to visualize dependencies with simple dragging features to draw lines between tasks
- Progress percentage: Get actual percentage figures of a task’s progress to manage your project timeline
- Automatic critical path calculations: Determine which chain of tasks is essential to project completion to have a clearer idea of what needs to be prioritized (and what can be rescheduled) to hit the deadline
- Milestones: Signify the closure of a project or end of a larger group of tasks (i.e. client approvals) to benchmark progress and stay on course with your project timeline with visual “diamond” shapes that mark milestones
Need more info on Milestones? Check out our ultimate guide to project milestones.
- Choose from 1,000+ integrations natively and through tools like Zapier
- Provides real-time updates and visual cues when teammates view, comment, or edit a task you’re in
- Easy to add project files or resources like Docs directly to tasks
- Mission control center with Dashboards to monitor sprints, team planning, or project statuses
- Build custom Gantt chart templates for repeated workflows or use one from its Template Center
- The Free Forever Plan limits users to 100 uses of the Gantt view
- Complex customization features can be overwhelming for some
- Free Forever Plan
- Unlimited Plan: $7 per member per month
- Business Plan: $12 per member per month
- Enterprise: Contact us for more details!
ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7 out of 5 stars (4,798 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7 out of 5 stars (3,102 reviews)
Redbooth isn’t only a Gantt chart maker—it’s full-scale project management software that offers Gantt charts and timeline views for project planning.
Redbooth key features
- Task management templates: Create task lists, edit the start and due dates, and add multiple assignees to work on a task
- Project templates: Store the same task list for complex projects as a template
- Chrome extension: Manage projects from your browser in real-time
- Color-coded for easy recognition with tasks divided by section
- All-in-one features include video conferencing and chat
- Manage various projects on one timeline
- No task dependencies in the free version
- Confusing interface and not fun to use
- No project management features like time tracking, a workload view, or advanced reporting in the free plan
- Free: Up to two users
- Pro: $9 per user per month
- Business: $15 per user per month
- Enterprise: Contact for more details
Redbooth customer ratings
- G2: 4.4 out of 5 stars (90+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4 out of 5 stars (80+ reviews)
3. Toggl Plan
Toggl Plann is another one of the best free Gantt chart tools and it comes with some stunning visual project planning tools to match.
Toggl Plan key features
- Interactive design: The drag-and-drop interface is intuitive and fun to use
- Timeline view: Team members have a bird’s eye view of tasks and deadlines
- Collaboration tools: Plan projects and work with your team members in real-time
Toggl Plan pros
- Beautiful visuals and elegant project timeline features are like project planners, showing you where daily tasks occur on the timeline and how they overlap
- Public link for free Gantt charts to share with others without a Toggl account
- High-level resource management views allow you to see which weeks are fully booked and the number of hours needed for each project
- Estimate project costs or project baselines with simple Gantt charts
- Works with most operating systems
Toggl Plan cons
- No dependencies which is an essential Gantt chart software feature
- The paid plan is needed to access important features like recurring tasks, multiple assignees, and in-app notifications
- Limited integrations with other Toggl tools and third-party apps
Toggl Plan pricing
- Solo: Free
- Team: $9 per user per month
- Business: $15 per user per month
Toggl Plan customer ratings
- G2: 4.2 out of 5 stars (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5 out of 5 stars (100+ reviews)
ProofHub offers a 14-day free trial to try its robust Gantt charts to help teams plan, manage, and track task progress.
ProofHub key features
- Task management: Visualize task dependencies, highlight critical paths, and drag and drop tasks
- Team collaboration: Connect instantly using a built-in chat application, discussion boards, and comments
- Productivity management: Track the progress of your tasks with critical path analysis, milestones, and baselining (often helpful for software development teams)
- All-in-one work management platform
- Get a full picture of your projects in a single timeline view: tasks, dates, deadlines, and assignees
- No per-user fee, flat pricing
- No single sign-in on Google
- Notification management could be improved
- Free trial only: there are no free-forever plans
- Free Trial: 14 days
- Essential Plan: $45/month
- Ultimate Control Plan: $89/month
ProofHub customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (60+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (65+ reviews)
Another option on our free Gantt chart software list is nTask. This tool comes with an interactive view into your Gantt charts with the ability to double down on milestones, to-do lists, checklists, and risk management. Like many software on this list, it is also a project management software with other features including Kanban boards.
nTask key features
- Automatic creation: Create Gantt charts as you work on different projects, append tasks and add project schedule details
- Simple user interface: Drag and drop feature to drag timelines, manage task dependencies, create and assign risks
- Multiple assignees: Work with collaborators on the same project for better resource planning & management
- Interactive Gantt charts for managing tasks and other things like timelines, dependencies, to-do lists, and individual project milestone tracking
- Setup meetings to ensure round-the-clock communication between project stakeholders
- Create and manage multiple Gantt charts simultaneously
- Users have mentioned that it is not as easy to preview the information on tasks
- Can be difficult to manage multiple projects
- Calendar and reporting functionality is limited
- Basic: Free
- Premium: $3 per user per month
- Business: $8 per user per month
nTask customer ratings
- G2: 4.4 out of 5 stars (15+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2 out of 5 stars (90+ reviews)
6. Instagantt for Asana
Instagantt is a Gantt chart integration for Asana. While Asana has always been a good project management solution, it didn’t have any Gantt chart software features.
If you want another add-on for your Asana projects, then Instagantt may be your answer for online free Gantt chart software. This bonus gives a robust experience in project scheduling software.
Instagantt key features
- Workload management: Detect when your team members are overloaded with tasks so that you can distribute them equally
- Progress tracking: Track project progress for every daily task and subtask on your project
- Change tracking: Track schedule changes and project delays in real-time
- Milestones and different colors to show the progression of your Gantt chart
- Robust features such as path and baseline to understand existing projects
- Export your Gantt chart timeline in JPG or PDF files
- Free Gantt chart templates available
- Requires Asana account to access the free plan
- Linked tasks cannot be moved without affecting the other tasks
- The interface is not as clean as other apps and visualization can be cumbersome with many tasks
- No true time tracking features
- Single User: $7 per month
- Multiple Users: $5 per user a month
Instagantt customer ratings
- G2: 4.5 out of 5 stars (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3 out of 5 stars (290+ reviews)
Bitrix24 is a project management solution and team communication platform that wants to put all of your business needs into one solution. It also offers a Gantt chart program to track and manage tasks.
Bitrix24 key features
- Free unlimited projects: Create as many charts as you want
- Online storage: You can store up to 5GB on the Bitrix Cloud
- Project management app: Manage your tasks and projects from anywhere with an iOS and Android app
- Supports all four types of Gantt chart dependencies: Start to Start, Start to Finish, Finish to Start, and Finish to Finish.
- The tool interface is designed with the free Gantt chart front and center
- Offers a free version for unlimited users on the cloud app
- On-premise plan is extremely expensive with no free plan available
- Difficult to obtain tech support
- Slow-loading widgets and set-up process
- Basic: $49 per month
- Standard: $99 per month
- Professional: $199 per month
- On-premise Enterprise: Contact for details
Bitrix24 customer ratings
- G2: 4.1 out of 5 stars (410+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.0 out of 5 stars (490+ reviews)
Not sure about this tool? Check out the top Bitrix24 alternatives.
Agantty is truly a free project management software with a mission to make creating Gantt charts a piece of cake.
Agantty key features
- Export as PDF: Export tasks in your project time frame as PDFs for easier reference
- Rights management: Decide which team members can view or edit specific tasks
- Reminders: Send task reminders to team members via email
- Create unlimited projects and tasks for free
- Tasks are automatically added to your Gantt chart
- Clean, easy user interface
- No mobile app is available
- The English version does not work with the Safari browser
- No comment/chat feature in tasks
Agantty is a free Gantt chart software with some paid extensions.
Agantty customer ratings
- G2: 4.0 out of 5 stars (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6 out of 5 stars (80+ reviews)
For those that are super enthusiastic about Gantt charts, take a look at TeamGantt, cloud-based software with a super-sharp design.
TeamGantt key features
- Customizable views: See your tasks as a simple list, calendar, or Gantt chart
- Team availability: Manage resources and identify which team members are available to work on more tasks
- Planned vs. actual timeline: Compare the original timeline projection with the actual timeline to see if your entire team is on track
- Add attachments to your Gantt chart on Mac
- Moving and assigning tasks is simple because of its Gantt chart generator drag and drop functionality
- Offers features like to-do lists, calendars, resource management, and capacity planning
- The free plan is only limited to three users and with limited functionality
- Importing data from other platforms can be difficult
- Can be a bit laggy
- Standard Plan: $24.95 per month
- Advanced Plan: $29.95 per month
TeamGantt customer ratings
- G2: 4.8 out of 5 stars (790+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6 out of 5 stars (180+ reviews)
10. Tom’s Planner
We’re not sure who Tom is, but Tom’s Planner is a simple Gantt chart platform that comes with free templates.
Tom’s Planner key features
- Free templates: Choose from around 500,000+ templates, or create your own template
- Filters: Find any tasks by filtering your Gantt chart by resource, activity, team, and more
- Import projects: Import your project schedule and Gantt charts from MS Project, Excel, Trello, and Basecamp
Tom’s Planner pros
- Drag and drop functionality with task dependencies.
- Easy filtering and custom color coding, so your Gantt charts appear the way you want
- Lightweight tool that you can easily export and share
Tom’s Planner cons
- Visually outdated with the grid and blocky interface
- The free plan allows for only one project and doesn’t have collaboration features
- Cannot create detailed project plans such as hourly scheduling
Tom’s Planner pricing
- Personal: Free
- Professional: $9.95 per month
- Unlimited: $19.95 per month
Tom’s Planner customer ratings
- G2: 4.4 out of 5 stars (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6 out of 5 stars (5+ reviews)
StudioBinder offers planning software specifically set up for the events and film production industry and includes a Gantt chart creator.
StudioBinder key features
- Interactive Gantt charts: Simplify managing a production workflow with a drag-and-drop interface
- Calendar templates: Speed up your workflow by using a free online Gantt chart template or create your own custom templates
- Comments: Create Gantt chart comments with ease. You can even upload files as comments
- Project files and task details are immediately pulled up by clicking on one of the Gantt chart bars
- Easy to use and intuitive layout
- Offers one place to make notes, write scripts, share and receive feedback, and make call sheets
- The free plan only allows for one project without Gantt chart functionality
- Support is not available on the weekends
- Can be expensive for small teams
- Free Forever
- Indie: $29 per month
- Professional: $49 per month
- Studio: $99 per month
StudioBinder customer ratings
- G2: 4.1 out of 5 stars (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7 out of 5 stars (3 reviews)
Bonus: Choose from several Gantt charts for event planning
12. Office Timeline
Want to make a Gantt chart in PowerPoint? Office Timeline is your best bet. This tool is a free online Gantt chart tool that helps create visual project timelines and charts for your presentation slides.
Office Timeline key features
- Smart layout engine: Automatically generates excellent visuals that can be styled as you like it
- Real-time collaboration: Invite your team members to collaborate so that they can see your chart or edit it further in PowerPoint without wasting any precious time
- Browser integrations: Being a web-based Gantt chart, you can use it to create charts in Google Docs
Office Timeline pros
- Best suited for new users who have never used a Gantt chart before
- ‘Wizard’ gives you step-by-step instructions to create a Gantt chart
- Import project data from Excel, Wrike, and Smartsheet for your presentation
Office Timeline cons
- No collaboration features, automatic software updates, or assigned tasks
- Collaboration can be tricky if members do not have the updated version
- The design could be more visually interactive
- No time tracking
Office Timeline pricing
- Desktop Version: $99 per year
- Online Basic Edition: $59 per month
- Online Pro Edition: $99 per month
- Online Pro+ Edition: $149 per month
Office Timeline customer ratings
- G2: 4.3 out of 5 stars (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6 out of 5 stars (30+ reviews)
Another way to have a free Gantt chart tool is by creating a Gantt chart in Excel. This may make some sense if you’re already using Microsoft Excel on a daily basis. But we don’t need to reiterate all of the reasons why Excel project management doesn’t work.
Excel key features
- Free templates: Plenty of free online Gantt charts templates are available in Excel
- Break down projects: View your projects by project phase, percentage completed, task, due date, or assignee
- Team collaboration: Share your chart with your project team to review and edit collaboratively
- Set deadlines and end dates
- Quickly summarize data
- Compatible with a variety of file formats
- Not ideal for software development teams
- Inefficient team collaboration and no notifications or reminders
- Graphing tools can be difficult to use
- Overlapping years of feature additions and subtractions makes standardization of the process difficult
- No time tracking features included
- Online Excel Version: Free
- Desktop Version: $159.99
- Online Version with Microsoft 365: $6.99 per user per month
Excel customer ratings
- G2: 4.7 out of 5 stars (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8 out of 5 stars (16,800+ reviews)
14. Microsoft Project
Microsoft Project is a popular project management platform that offers Gantt chart software and detailed instructions to add your charts to a Microsoft PowerPoint.
MS key features
- Task list: List each of your project’s tasks in the grid portion on the left side of the Gantt chart diagram and organize them into a summary task with subtasks
- Zooming in and out: Zoom out to get a bigger picture of your project’s tasks or files by displaying years and months, or project managers can zoom in to see the exact start and finish dates for your project schedule
- Highly customizable: Customize your Gantt chart tools and bars with different colors, shapes, and patterns. You can also add text to your bars, change the height of bars, and change the appearance of link lines between bars
MS Project pros
- Powerful features and detailed options
- Gantt charts show all timeline info in one view with a split screen
- Access many Gantt chart templates
MS Project cons
- Steep learning curve and an overwhelming amount of data for individuals or small teams
- Expensive pricing plans
- You need to purchase all the software in the Microsoft Suite and cannot use Projects separately
MS Project pricing
- Project Plan 1: $10 per user per month
- Project Plan 3: $30 per user per month
- Project Plan 5: $55 per user per month
Microsoft also offers three on-premise plans for enterprise work management.
MS Project customer ratings
- G2: 4.0 out of 5 stars (1,500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4 out of 5 stars (1,200+ reviews)
With Wrike online Gantt chart software, users can import files from Excel and MS Project or choose from 400+ integrations to copy information automatically. Wrike makes it easy for users to schedule tasks and see the actual progress of the entire project.
- Visualize progress and dependencies with our drag-and-drop builder
- Add MPP, MPX, and XML tasks to Wrike
- Control projects from one platform using critical path analysis, snapshots, and baselining
- Create tasks and link them using dependencies
- The project scheduler timeline automatically adjusts everything around changes made to tasks
- Notifications send to project members when users adjust assignees or dates for more accurate project planning
- Workload management feature provides a view into your task assignment process
- Not suitable for smaller organizations because user permissions are limited
- Lack of customized views
- Not ideal for large projects needing more storage space
- Professional: $9.80 per user per month
- Starter: $24.80 per user per month
Wrike customer ratings
- G2: 4.2 out of 5 stars (2,220+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2 out of 5 stars (1,680+ reviews)
16. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects provides a Gantt chart creator so users can sort tasks with the Milestone Gantt view or the Chronology Gantt view. This online Gantt chart software helps to deliver projects on time with essential task management and bug-tracking features. Its project management software is a good choice for those who enjoy a visually appealing Gantt chart maker to track task progress and the project schedule.
Zoho Projects features
- Use Zoho Project’s four types of task dependencies to manage dates: Finish to Start, Start to Start, Start to Finish, and Finish to Finish
- Rescale the Gantt chart to accommodate more Gantt bars or clean up the view
- Quickly get an idea of task statuses with clear color distinction
Zoho Projects pros
- Drag and drop between taskbars to define relationships between them
- Hover over the task name to display additional details
- Export the Gantt chart as a PDF to share digitally or print
Zoho Projects cons
- Not suitable for agile or marketing teams needing robust project management features
- Basic features require upgrading to paid plans
- Maximum of two projects on the free plan
Zoho Projects pricing
- Free: Up to 3 users
- Premium: $5 per user per month (up to 50 users)
- Enterprise: $10 per user per month (unlimited users)
Zoho Projects customer ratings
- G2: 4.3 out of 5 stars (230+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2 out of 5 stars (230+ reviews)
This open-source Gantt chart software is hosted locally (compared to cloud-based project management) and has a few simple tools for sketching out dependencies and timelines.
- Manage dependencies: Show dependencies between tasks by drawing a line between tasks
- Import/export files: Export and import your Gantt Charts to/from CSV files to analyze data in Microsoft Project and Excel, or export files to PDF or PNG to create printable charts and reports
- Open source: Modify the source code to create a management app that suits your needs
- View your projects for free with no hidden costs
- Simple interface and easy to set up
- Differentiate how many tasks you want to be grouped by colors or other elements such as cost
- Open source Gantt chart makes it easy to implement
- Not a full-fledged project management tool
- No resource visualization on the Gantt chart
- No online or app version to access your open-source Gantt chart
GanttProject is completely free as an open-source Gantt chart solution.
GanttProject customer ratings
- G2: 4.4 out of 5 stars (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2 out of 5 stars (120+ reviews)
Backlog is a project management software with an online Gantt chart feature allowing users to view and manage workloads at a glance and check in on others’ progress.
- Get a quick overview of progress before drilling down to see which tasks are falling behind or overdue
- Grant project members access to your workspace with role-based access control
- Visualize your timeline with a quick, high-level view of your entire project
- Create parent and child tasks for an organized workflow
- Invite clients, vendors lists, and freelancers to projects with guest roles
- Breakdown tasks into subtasks and checklists
- The free plan includes only one project
- Lack of custom fields
- Included features aren’t as many as some of the other online Gantt charts in this list
- Free (up to 10 users)
- Starter: $35 per month
- Standard: $100 per month
- Premium: $175 per month
Backlog customer ratings
- G2: 4.5 out of 5 stars (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5 out of 5 stars (70+ reviews)
Get Off the Chart Success With Free Gantt Chart Generator Software
Okay, now we know all of our best Gantt Chart options and what really determines them to be free.
The best Gantt chart tools are helpful, but some give teams more visual representations of where their work may overlap than others. In the end, you need to choose an online Gantt chart maker that helps your team plan projects and prioritize work.
Choose an option that provides plenty of customizable chart templates that actually help you track the project’s critical path or allow you to calculate project costs more effectively. Customization is key to the best Gantt chart options.
And if you’re looking for a place to start, just sign up for ClickUp for free and experience the perfect project management and Gantt chart tool yourself. We know you’ll love it!