Want to get more time back in your day? Here’s the tried-and-true recipe for ramping up your to-do list without burning out: Work smarter, not harder. 🧠
Workflow automation software has become the secret weapon for corporate teams to save countless hours each week. Setting up predefined workflows allows teams to automate repetitive tasks. From sending emails, following up on sales leads, or assigning tasks to subordinates, workflows streamline those redundant—yet necessary—business processes.
To start automating business tasks, you need the right software. Use these top 10 workflow automation tools to save your team valuable hours. ⏱️
What is Workflow Automation Software?
Workflow automation software automatically creates desired actions based on predefined triggers. These triggers and actions might be completed on the same platform, or your automation might connect unrelated apps through a no-code solution.
Here are a few automation examples people can use to streamline their workday:
- Every time a prospect fills out an online form (trigger), you receive an email (action)
- Every time you receive a Slack message from your boss (trigger), you get a text message notification (action)
- Every time you are assigned a new Asana task (trigger), the due date is copied to your Gmail calendar (action)
- Every time a new customer makes an online purchase through Shopify (trigger), they’re added as a client in Salesforce (action)
How to choose the best workflow automation platform for your business
Not every workflow automation software platform is right for every team. As you evaluate different solutions for your business, consider the following:
- Can you code? While some platforms are no-code solutions that offer easy-to-use, drag-and-drop interfaces, others might require a developer to set up. If you don’t have an in-house development team, you’ll definitely want a zero-code solution
- What apps do you already use? Ideally, your chosen solution will connect the apps you already use. Look for solutions that have built-in integrations for your existing email, CRM, project management, and e-commerce platforms
- What does the user experience look like? Workflow automation tools benefit every member of your team, from IT specialists to marketers to executive assistants. Make sure you select a platform that has an easy-to-navigate interface your entire team will understand
- What’s your budget? Platforms vary based on the number of apps, features, or user seats. Set a budget, then calculate how many team members will need access and which apps those team members use on a daily basis
10 Best Workflow Automation Software in 2023
Looking for an intuitive workflow system that can automate daily tasks? These 10 solutions help build custom workflows for your business.
ClickUp is the zero-code solution to streamline any process and eliminate busy work from your day. No matter the size of your team, ClickUp is powerful enough to consolidate your work across apps into one collaborative platform and automate business processes. This all-in-one project management solution is packed with hundreds of flexible features including ClickUp Automations and ClickUp AI to streamline, plan, execute, and track workflows of any kind.
Using Automations, users can choose from one of ClickUp’s 100+ pre-made Automation workflows or customize their own from over 50 different actions. Whether you want to automatically assign tasks or comments, change statuses, or trigger notifications, ClickUp Automations can make it happen.
And for everything else? ClickUp AI has you covered. Like your own virtual copywriter, ClickUp AI can generate text, summaries, task updates, translations, and more with the press of a button.
ClickUp best features
- Leverage 100+ predefined workflows so you don’t have to build workflow Automations from scratch
- Choose from hundreds of integrations with external apps to streamline your workday
- Implement workflows for every department through the no-code solution
- Select from 50+ actions to build custom workflows
- Prevent workflow errors by setting specific parameters using exact conditions
- The vast amounts of customizations might be overwhelming to new users
- Not all views are available in the mobile app yet
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5/month per user
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,900+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (3,800+ reviews)
Zapier is a workflow automation tool that connects 6,500+ apps through its zero-code solution. With the drag-and-drop editor, you’ll build automated workflows (called zaps) without writing a single line of code.
No longer are you limited to using tools with built-in integrations. Simply use the Zapier API to set triggers and create actions according to your predefined criteria.
Zapier best features
- Choose from 6,500+ apps on the platform
- Create custom workflows through if/then rules
- Create multi-step zaps to automate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Use filters to only run zaps with certain conditions are met
- Create a custom schedule so zaps only run at the right time
- While it offers a free solution, you might have to upgrade to a paid plan to create zaps with specific apps
- Creating multi-step process automations might be confusing to new users
- Free plan
- Starter: $19.99/month
- Professional: $49/month
- Team: $69/month
- Company: Custom pricing
Zapier ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (1,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
Integrify is a workflow management platform that helps businesses run more efficiently. Use the low-code workflow builder to assign tasks, collaborate on processes, create approval processes, or even attach documents for various automations.
Plus, create custom reports, build online forms, or use the Integrify API to integrate with other platforms.
Integrify best features
- Test-run task automated processes before deployment
- Use the Foresight tools to predict automation dependencies
- Copy and export processes to rebuild automations
- Allow users to attach and comment on documents
- Customizing the user interface can require some working knowledge of CSS
- Using integrations will require the use of a developer
- Free trial: Contact for trial
- Integrify automation: $875/month
Integrify ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (31 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (23 reviews)
Flokzu is a process improvement tool that allows teams to automate tasks in a matter of hours. The user-friendly tool makes it easy to develop your own forms or workflows. And the platform integrates with hundreds of apps—like Gmail, Dropbox, Trello, and Asana—so you’ll save time in your workday.
Flokzu best features
- Use the cloud-based, drag-and-drop builder to design custom workflows
- Get easily digestible statistics to understand which tasks are most valuable to your team
- Leverage multiple field types to design your business workflows
- Allow users to attach documents or add comments to assigned tasks
- There aren’t as many integrations as other platforms
- Other platforms offer more customizable conditions
- Standard: $17/month per user
- Premium: $22/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Flokzu ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.9/5 (29 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (71 reviews)
Monday is a business process management platform. Design your own custom workflow or start from a template. Then, set up team alerts and build customizable dashboards to manage progress.
Plus, the platform integrates with 200+ apps and stores data in one centralized location—all without using a single line of code.
Monday best features
- Co-edit documents in real time by attaching them to processes
- Assign tasks, write comments, or share deliverables with internal team members or clients
- Integrate the platform with 200+ of your favorite tools
- Eliminate manual processes by creating customizable workflows in minutes
- The initial dashboard setup and onboarding process might be time consuming
- Some reporting features are rather rigid and lack customization
- Free (up to two users)
- Basic: $8/month per user
- Standard: $10/month per user
- Pro: $16/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Monday ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (4,000+ reviews)
Check out our full comparison on Monday vs Airtable.
Kissflow allows users to streamline workflow processes without a single line of code. The intuitive platform only takes a few days to set up, and it applies a simple three-step system to build workflows.
The platform allows company leadership to assign tasks, address bottlenecks before they happen, and measure the efficiency of workflows with built-in metrics.
Kissflow best features
- Build forms and workflows with an intuitive drag-and-drop builder
- Create dynamic assignments to assign tasks to an individual, multiple people, or entire departments. Or, create a round-robin to assign tasks at random
- Establish fixed deadlines for each task
- Use conditional logic to prevent human errors with more complex workflows
- The pricing model might not be suitable for scaling or small businesses
- The many capabilities of the software require a considerable learning curve
- Basic: $1,500/month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Kissflow ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 3.9/5 (39 reviews)
7. Zoho Creator
Zoho Creator is an all-in-one, low-code platform that allows you to create your own app. With a drag-and-drop platform, create custom solutions that solve virtually any business need.
Leverage its workflow automation features to respond to user interactions, schedule actions, route approval processes, and even process orders based on successful payments and invoicing.
Zoho Creator best features
- Integrate with multiple payment gateways to configure workflows with new online customers
- Set time delays between triggers and actions to create a workflow on your schedule
- Get SMS, email, or mobile notifications based on a number of different actions
- Create and deploy blueprints to keep even manual tasks on schedule
Zoho Creator limitations
- Some working coding knowledge is required
- If you don’t want to build your own app, this workflow automation solution may be overly complex
Zoho Creator pricing
- Standard: $8/month per user
- Professional: $20/month per user
- Enterprise: $25/month per user
- Flex: Custom pricing
Zoho Creator ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (150+ reviews)
8. Jira (Atlassian) Work Management
Jira Work Management is a software solution for project management teams to coordinate, collaborate, and ultimately get more done in less time. Multiple views (like list, calendar, board, and timeline) allow colleagues to track their progress from the big picture or on a nitty-gritty level.
Also, the automation features make it easy for teams to streamline certain tasks and build beautiful reports to conduct workflow analysis.
Jira best features
- Make sweeping edits to workflow automations through bulk changes
- Gain access to a template library of workflows for human resources, marketing, sales, and other teams to run tasks on autopilot
- Get sign-off on approval processes faster by automatically messaging stakeholders
- Use the calendar view to automatically recreate monthly tasks
- There’s a lack of customizations for some built-in reports
- The initial setup of the workflow management software may be overwhelming and difficult to understand
- Free (up to 10 users)
- Standard: $5/month per user (up to 3,500 users)
- Premium: $10/month per user (up to 3,500 users)
Jira ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (5,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (13,000+ reviews)
OnTask is an AI-driven document management platform. Draft documents, get signatures on legal contracts, leverage pre-built templates, and collect and transfer data. Your team will save valuable time using the no-code builder to automate everyday tasks.
OnTask best features
- Auto-fill in data from multiple sources to generate documents faster
- Route data from online forms for review and approval
- Automatically track secure, legally-binding, and HIPAA-compliant signatures for any document
- Leverage the template library to quickly build workflows for virtually any aspect of business operations
- More complex workflows require a great deal of knowledge, which could be difficult for new users
- It can be difficult to edit default SMS messages and emails
- Personal: $9/month per user (1 user)
- Business: $24/month per user (2 users)
- Business Pro: $99/month per user (3 users)
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
OnTask ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (5 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (63 reviews)
Pipefy’s workflow tools were built specifically for procurement, human resources, and IT departments. The AI-driven platform makes it easy for HR professionals to hire, onboard, and offboard new employees, while procurement decisions can get quotes, review suppliers, and send new vendors for executive approval.
Leverage the built-in, no-code automation workflows, or design your own from scratch.
Pipefy best features
- Leverage pre-built end-to-end automations for HR, procurement, and IT use cases
- Design your own custom workflows using custom fields
- Track ongoing tasks through custom reports and dashboards
- Control who sees what (and when) through custom roles and permission levels
- There are fewer pre-built templates outside HR, IT, and procurement departments
- Sometimes automated emails go to spam rather than client inboxes
- Starter: $0/month per user
- Business: $25/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Pipefy ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (200+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6 (300+ reviews)
Choose the Best Workflow Automation Software for Your Business
Automating workflows and repetitive tasks can save countless hours per week. When evaluating workflow automation tools, look for a solution that has a low- or no-code builder, integrates with your task management or project management apps, and fits your budget.
ClickUp Automations come complete with 100+ pre-built workflows, 50+ actions to choose from, and built-in integrations with your favorite tools. To see how ClickUp can help you save time each week, sign up today. 💡