Top 25 Asana Alternatives & Competitors For Project Management in 2022
If you transition between your inbox, Asana, and a bunch of other work apps—or if you just could use a guiding hand about project management software—we wrote this article with you in mind!
Visualize this dream scenario…
Your to-do list is long for a typical Thursday, but there’s no confusion about task priorities. While in a complete zone of focus, an avalanche of notifications breaks the stillness, but it doesn’t get under your skin. You’re confident in the process and systems that your team can follow and implement. Because of this, you can scale and impact. ✨
What if this wasn’t limited to our wildest productivity dreams? What if we can keep our creative wells flowing without sacrificing the time?
Asana is a popular project management tool, but that doesn’t mean it should be your default. Popularity won’t do your business any good if you’re left with unfinished projects at the end of the quarter!
The good news? From this shortlist of top Asana alternatives, we’ll help guide you through questions and concerns about choosing a project management software.
- What Are the Best 25 Asana Alternatives? Project Management Tools
- Do I Need an Asana Alternative?
- ClickUp Waits For You
What Are the Best 25 Asana Alternatives? Project Management Tools
ClickUp is a free project management solution that allows every team to manage projects, collaborate smarter, and bring all their work under one tool. Whether you’re new to project management apps or a total power user, ClickUp’s customization can stretch to any team size—remote or in-office—for the best productivity of your life.
Among the hundreds of powerful features ClickUp has to offer, here are four you can start with to overcome the disconnect between your tasks, team, and tech.
Key Feature #1: ClickUp Docs
Build short-form project briefs to robust resource wikis with ClickUp Docs. Docs are integrated with your projects and tasks, making it convenient to manage everything in one place! Top it off with a suite of customizations, and Docs can easily replace your other tools to organize any type of data. 🛠👩💻
Here’s what you can do in ClickUp Docs:
- Import content from other apps into ClickUp Docs to use rich formatting and collaborative editing
- Ask and answer questions, provide feedback and approval, or suggest content with rich text formatting, embeds, and attachments
- Set Doc permissions and share your content with your organization (or the world!)
- Apply tags to filter and find the Docs you’re looking for even faster, and more!
👉 Create professional-looking Docs in ClickUp today! 🤩
Key Feature #2: Multiple Assignees in ClickUp
Tasks in ClickUp can be used for different types of work—assignments, meetings, design reviews, OKRs—anything that keeps you and your team aligned on what’s happening. Do your projects often require two or more functional teams to reach the goal? Combining individual and team-driven efforts under one task improves workflow efficiency and productivity! 👩🎨👩💼🏆
We want every person using ClickUp to have the power of customization in their hands. So if you’re on the side of “one task, one assignee,” we got you covered! The Multiple Assignees ClickApp can be turned on or off for each Space.
👉 Get peace of mind knowing your team’s shared responsibilities and true workloads with the multiple assignees feature! 👥
Key Feature #3: Email in ClickUp
No one enjoys having to scroll and expand a mile-long email chain from their inbox—this is the quickest way to delay projects! The Email in ClickUp feature relieves the tension associated with miscommunication because everything you need to know about a task is in one place! Here’s what you can do:
- Easily switch between sending a comment to internal teammates and sending an email to anyone outside of ClickUp directly from a task
- Keep email conversations organized into their own threads or a new comment
- Create one (or many!) signatures for each ClickUp member
- Send saved responses from a template
👉 Watch our Email in ClickUp tutorial to see it in action! 🎥
Key Feature #4: ClickUp Automations
Automations in ClickUp are a must-have for agile project management! A simple but powerful solution for any workflow, automation mitigates the burden of recurring manual work: assigning tasks based on criteria, updating statuses, sending emails to prospects, and more! 🤖🪐
If you’re interested, ClickUp University has a course about Automations and other time-saving features! See you there?
- Choose from 100 native integrations along with thousands available through Zapier and Integromat
- Plan, manage, and accomplish your daily, weekly, quarterly, and yearly Goals
- Integrate Asana and ClickUp with Zapier
- No Dashboard export feature
- Not all ClickUp views are available on the mobile app… yet! 🔮
- Free Forever Plan (best for personal use)
- Unlimited Plan (best for small teams ($5/member per month)
- Business Plan (best for mid-sized teams ($12/member per month)
- Business Plus Plan (best for multiple teams ($19/member per month)
👉 If you need a full software suite to handle your Enterprise workloads and processes, we’d love to help set you up for success! Please contact Sales when you’re ready.
- G2: 4.7/5 (3,880+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,480+ reviews)
If this isn’t your first time on the project management software hunt, you’ve most likely come across Trello. Trello organizes projects into boards inspired by Kanban, a workflow management method. A board is filled with task cards containing notes, attachments, images, documents, and other data to collaborate with teammates.
👉 Find out why ClickUp is the better solution than Trello!
- Create commands to automate almost any action with Trello’s Butler
- Board, Timeline, Table, Calendar, Dashboard, and Map views
- Limited email integration
- Not suitable for large-scale projects
💸 Trello Pricing
Trello offers free and paid plans starting at $5/user per month.
Trello Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (20,410+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (12,390+ reviews)
Hive provides task management, project templates, and time tracking to reflect how you work on a day-to-day basis. Choose from Hive’s thousands of integrations to get the information you need from multiple sources into one centralized location. Users can also create personalized to-do lists and automate their workflow for greater efficiency.
👉 Compare Hive and ClickUp features!
- Auto-schedule meetings from a task card for better team collaboration
- Unlimited projects and tasks
- No custom statuses feature to support specific processes
- Time tracking is a paid feature
💸 Hive Pricing
Hive offers free and paid plans starting at $12/user per month.
Hive Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (290+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (140+ reviews)
Wrike project management software is ideal for small agencies needing a customizable workspace to organize shared calendars, schedule projects, and collaborate with ease. What’s more, approvers can expedite feedback using Wrike’s visual markup tool.
- Kanban board allows complete visibility to tasks
- Time tracking feature to compare estimated versus actual time spent
💸 Wrike Pricing
Wrike offers free and paid plans starting at $9.80/month per user.
Wrike Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (2,350+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (1,700+ reviews)
nTask is a cloud-based project management platform helping teams manage everything from resource planning to project deliverables. Similar to other Asana alternatives on this list, nTask offers Kanban boards to create a project plan and visualize tasks. Users can also create checklists with to-do items, so nothing falls through the cracks.
- Team workload management tools to align remote teams
- File attachment and document management
- Not suitable for larger teams of 50 or more
- Kanban boards are a paid feature
💸 nTask Pricing
nTask offers free and paid plans starting at $3/month per user.
nTask Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 3.9/5 (10+ reviews)
Next on the list is ActiveCollab, an all-in-one project management solution for smaller teams to plan and organize work. This platform has a user-friendly interface that’s simple for complex projects. To get started, members can use sample projects to test organization options.
- Projects from select management tools can import into ActiveCollab
- Support any file type to upload in tasks and comments
- Limited integrations
- Invoicing is a paid feature
💸 ActiveCollab Pricing
ActiveCollab offers a free version for three members and paid plans starting at $6.25/month per user.
ActiveCollab Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (370+ reviews)
The next Asana alternative is monday.com, a project management tool helping cross-functional teams align on their most important work. For example, project managers looking for real-time reporting can easily create project dashboards to increase the communication workflow.
👉 Compare Monday.com and ClickUp features!
- Unlimited boards and docs in the free plan
- Customizable workflows to easily track projects
- Features are not in-depth compared to other Asana alternatives on this list
- Dashboards are a paid premium feature
💸 Monday.com Pricing
Monday.com offers free and paid plans starting at $8/month.
Monday.com Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (3,290+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2,540+ reviews)
NiftyPM lets you work on large-scale projects with multiple team members. Like most project management tools, it’s a collaborative workspace that helps you and your team organize tasks, track time, and manage documents.
- Portfolio management feature to view members and statuses at a glance
- Offers different user roles and permissions to control access levels
- Free plan is limited to two active projects
- Expensive paid plans to use core features
💸 NiftyPM Pricing
NiftyPM offers free and paid plans starting at $39/month.
NiftyPM Customer Ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (110+ reviews)
Bitrix24 is a work management and CRM software helping teams manage customer relations, plan projects, and collaborate with others. In Bitrix24’s free plan, users can set up task roles, track time, and work with tasks and add comments using email.
👉 Read our full review of Bitrix24!
- Add and edit tasks during a video call without pausing
- Visual project management features include Gantt charts and Kanban boards
- Task templates and recurring tasks are not available in the free plan
- Task dependencies are limited to 5 in the free plan
💸 Bitrix24 Pricing
Bitrix24 offers free and paid plans starting at $39/month.
Bitrix24 Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.1/5 (420+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4/5 (490+ reviews)
Airtable is a project management tool that helps teams create detailed databases for their work. Users can group and sort data in custom fields with views like Grid to include only the relevant project information.
👉 Read our full Airtable review!
- Drag-and-drop tools for easy management
- Customizable system of rows and columns to display information quickly
- Not suitable for agile project management
- Lack of mobile functionality
💸 Airtable Pricing
Airtable offers free and paid plans starting at $10/month.
Airtable Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (1,300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,220+ reviews)
Teamwork is a project collaboration software ideal for small businesses looking to organize tasks for simple navigation. With Teamwork’s calendars, project milestones, and status update features, users can comfortably support both internal teams and clients.
👉 Compare Teamwork to ClickUp!
- No extra cost to have client users
- Notebook feature for organized document sharing
- Project templates are not available in the free plan
- Integrated team chat is a paid feature
💸 Teamwork Pricing
Teamwork offers free and paid plans starting at $10/month.
Teamwork Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (940+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (690+ reviews)
Hubspot is a customer relationship management (CRM) and task management software for businesses that need to manage their funnel and relationships with prospective customers. The platform offers marketing, sales, content management, operations, and customer service products. Users can sign up to use the free features or upgrade to premium versions within these products.
- HubSpot CRM is free, including a reporting dashboard, company insights, deal tracking, and pipeline management
- Offers the HubSpot Academy for inbound marketing, sales, and customer service professionals
- Limited feature scope based on plan
- Lack of granular reporting
💸 Hubspot Pricing
Hubspot offers free and paid plans starting at $45/month.
Hubspot CMS Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (1,190+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (50+ reviews)
13. ProProfs Project
Proprofs Project is a web-based project management tool allowing teams to track progress, collaborate with others, share task feedback, and more. In addition, with advanced features such as time-tracking and invoicing, client billing is uncomplicated.
ProProfs Project Pros
- Instant messaging and file-sharing ability for seamless collaboration
- Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and Calendar view to plan and visualize projects
ProProfs Project Cons
- No free plan is available
- Roles and Permissions is a paid premium feature
💸 ProProfs Project Pricing
Proprofs Project offers free and paid plans starting at $2/month per user.
ProProfs Project Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (50+ reviews)
Smartsheet is a project management tool that lets you manage, track, and plan multiple projects. The key feature of Smartsheet is the Control Center—a portfolio and project management solution. Project managers can save time on manual work with the Control Center’s automation capabilities.
👉 Check out our Smartsheet Project Management Guide!
- Custom branding can be applied to the entire account
- Project budgeting to see planned versus actual hours spent to keep projects on budget
- No free plan is available
- Not suitable for small agencies
💸 Smartsheet Pricing
Smartsheet does not have a free plan. Paid plans start at $7/month per user.
Smartsheet Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (6,090+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (2,220+ reviews)
Workzone is a project management software with an efficient email alert feature that takes users directly to the important task item within Workzone. Ideal for enterprise organizations, teams can view a comprehensive dashboard to see projects across departments, clients, or campaigns.
👉 Compare Workzone and ClickUp features!
- Efficient custom project request forms
- To-Do List feature that automatically sends an organized list of tasks
- No free plan
- Robust customization options are paid premium features
💸 Workzone Pricing
Workzone does not have a free plan. Paid plans start at $24/month per user.
Workzone Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (160+ reviews)
Toggl is a project management software comprised of three solutions: Toggl Track, Toggl Plan, and Toggl Hire. Toggl Plan’s visual roadmaps complement change management when managing multiple projects in spreadsheets introduces more work than support.
- Streamline communication with comments and shared project timelines
- Automate repetitive tasks with recurring tasks
- Workspace guest users (external stakeholders or teammates) are paid premium features
- Project data exporting to use with other tools is a paid premium feature
Toggl offers free and paid plans starting at $8/user per month.
Toggl Plan Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
Basecamp is a project management software helping remote teams organize tasks, track project progress, and collaborate over tasks. The tool aims to bring task management and project team communication under one tent with features like to-do lists and message boards.
- Check-in feature to send recurring questions
- Message board feature to post announcements, send progress updates, and more
- Not suitable for small agencies with multiple projects happening simultaneously
- Limited free plan
💸 Basecamp Pricing
Basecamp offers a free and paid plan at $99/month flat.
Basecamp Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.1/5 (4,940+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (13,350+ reviews)
Jira is a bug-tracking and project software geared towards agile teams and technical power users. With advanced reporting options, including user workload, average issue age, and recently created issues, project managers can make informed decisions to plan smarter sprints.
👉 Read our Jira project management guide!
- Customizable scrum boards to track progress
- Integrations with over 3,000 apps
💸 Jira Pricing
Jira offers free and paid plans for ten users starting at $7.50/month.
Jira Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (4,440+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (11,180+ reviews)
Podio is a project management tool providing a structure for teams to collaborate easier, find information faster, and choose between different work views. In addition, users can create task automation to keep people and projects connected with a Podio workflow.
- User-friendly interface
- Podio add-ons available for specific use cases
- Limited free plan
- Sales dashboards are a paid premium feature
💸 Podio Pricing
Podio offers free and paid plans starting at $7.20/month.
Podio Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.1/5 (370+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (280+ reviews)
Freedcamp is a free project management tool that can organize schedules, tasks, wikis, and more to complete a project on time and within budget. Combined with third-party integrations, users will get the complete picture of the day’s priorities and what to focus on next.
- Unlimited tasks, projects, and storage in all plans
- CRM and invoices features
- Limited free plan
- Wikis are a paid premium feature
💸 Freedcamp Pricing
Freedcamp offers free and paid plans starting at $1.49/month per user.
Freedcamp Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (120+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (450+ reviews)
Scoro is a work management software for small to medium-sized businesses looking to manage revenue-driving activities for streamlined client billing. This Asana alternative empowers teams to shift their way of working from reactive to proactive.
👉 Learn why ClickUp is the better solution than Scoro!
- Drag-and-drop Planner and Kanban task board
- Quoting and pipeline tracking
- Not suitable for agile teams
- Custom features lack advanced capabilities
💸 Scoro Pricing
Scoro offers a 14-day free trial and paid plans starting at $26/month per user.
Scoro Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (260+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (170+ reviews)
Proofhub is a project planning software tool enabling teams to plan every step and visualize their work progress. It is a great platform for collaborating on ideas and keeping relevant files together.
- Private task lists for assigned people only
- Recurring events and tasks feature
- Lacks budgeting capabilities
- Not built for complex project management
💸 Proofhub Pricing
Proofhub offers a 14-day free trial and paid plans starting at $45/month flat.
Proofhub Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (50+ reviews)
The next Asana alternative is ONLYOFFICE, a feature-rich project tool complete with collaborative online document editors for all types of teams and industries. In addition, ONLYOFFICE’s project hierarchy is easy to customize using milestones, tasks, and subtasks for optimal organization.
- Access rights management feature for full permissions control
- Individual or group calendar features to schedule team meetings quickly
- Full-text search mail & document content is a paid feature
- Users not familiar with MS Office formats might have adoption difficulties
💸 ONLYOFFICE Pricing
ONLYOFFICE offers free and paid plans starting at $5/month.
ONLYOFFICE Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (300+ reviews)
24. Kantata (Mavenlink)
Kantata (Mavenlink) is a project management software that combines resource management, team collaboration, and business intelligence. This allows teams to understand how they perform operationally and make smarter decisions to achieve outcomes.
- Project accounting features including financials and tracking tools
- Geared towards professional services organizations
- Steep learning curve
- Limited task editing capabilities
💸 Mavenlink Pricing
Request a custom quote from Mavenlink.
Mavenlink Customer Ratings
- G2: 4/5 (660+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (550+ reviews)
Samepage is a collaboration tool with features like real-time document collaboration, team chat, video conferencing, and more. To help users execute projects successfully, the app lets members create pages to plan objectives, processes, schedules, and deadlines.
- Set Folder permissions to manage access rights on confidential information
- Document editing accessible on iOS and Android devices
- No multiple assignees features
- Limited free plan
💸 Samepage Pricing
Samepage is not accepting new signups at the time this article was written.
Samepage Customer Ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (210+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (810+ reviews)
Do I Need an Asana Alternative?
As a project manager, always being one step ahead is exhausting. You’re anticipating the needs of your team while keeping everyone (including yourself) moving and motivated. Asana is difficult because you can’t get a consolidated view of all the projects in the queue. So if it’s become difficult to customize your work management experience, it’s time to look for a better tool.
Here are five signs you need an Asana alternative:
1️⃣ You feel conscious about onboarding a new team member to the project tool.
The consequence of improper training impacts the entire team, so you’re committed albeit dispassionate about the tool.
2️⃣ Every task is a priority.
There’s a difference between being in a season of busyness and straight-up chaos. Unfortunately, your project management software or process isn’t working when your team is overwhelmed and burnt out.
3️⃣ Your stakeholders and clients are underwhelmed and confused by the reports.
The project report was supposed to take less than a half-hour to complete. What’s more, the static Excel spreadsheet initiated more questions than answers between pulling information from team members and formatting data.
4️⃣ No one knows what anyone is working on.
Team members are likely to miss critical information or due dates because of a lack of transparency. What’s more, incoming projects and opportunities will be affected because of the current state of capacity.
5️⃣ Your team looks to other software to fill in the gaps.
There’s the company project management tool… then there’s the tool everyone has on the side because it actually helps them get work done.
Bonus sign: you’re repeatedly asked to perform a function the project management software is not built to do.
ClickUp Waits For You
If you’ve been tasked to find the new project management software for your team, you know it’s not as simple as it looks. Decision paralysis is bound to kick in (if it hasn’t already) and time is of the essence.
Here’s the thing: you don’t have to do this alone. We want to help you answer a very important question. That question is… What do you want your next few hours, days, months, or even YEAR to look like?
For starters, how does saving one day every week sound?