10 Best Lucidchart Alternatives for Diagrams in 2022
In the past few years, switching from on-site to hybrid and remote work created a huge gap for organizations and leaders wanting to continue effective team collaboration. The disconnect made super popular diagramming applications like Lucidchart essential to maintain team collaboration—no matter where the team was physically located.
Eventually, organizations grew to rely on diagramming tools, but many asked if there were better Lucidchart alternatives. Processing and creating flowcharts, floor plans, organizational charts, or other company diagrams requires accessible and easy-to-use tools—especially with the rise in remote work.
Unfortunately, diagramming programs differ between tools, and choosing one depends on your specific needs. That’s why we put together a list of the 10 best Lucidchart alternatives in 2022 to give you a breakdown of all your options.
But first, let’s look at one of the most popular options, Lucidchart.
What is Lucidchart?
Lucidchart is a web-based diagramming tool used by people in various industries to create detailed diagrams out of images, data, or templates. It allows collaboration with other users and comes with multiple integrations, including Google Workspace and Atlassian, among others to streamline your process.
Lucidchart is available through four plans:
- Individual ($95.40 per year)
- Team ($108 per person per year)
- Enterprise (custom pricing)
Each comes with its limits and feature restrictions. That’s why some users feel like Lucidchart falls short.
For example, it is entirely web-based and doesn’t have any desktop apps to use. Such areas could be just disconcerting to some and a complete deal-breaker for others.
If you have any specific requirements missing from this tool, you might want to consider these 10 Lucidchart alternatives to help you get exactly what you need.
10 Best Lucidchart Alternatives for Diagrams
Apps like diagramming, tasks, docs, spreadsheets, goal tracking, time tracking, resource allocation, and even email all used to be handled separately. ClickUp replaces them by putting together the best collaboration and productivity apps in a centralized hub.
ClickUp is one of the best Lucidchart alternatives because it has the same collaboration features but is much more powerful to increase team productivity. On top of it all, it’s highly rated and preferred by startups, giants, and small businesses worldwide.
ClickUp is perfect for teams that want to work smarter and more efficiently on a masterfully intuitive platform. It’s customizable for any sort of workflow due to its several notable features.
It can diagram and help you manage products and projects, track bugs, and manage academic and administrative resources for students or administrators. Here are some of its most notable features:
Owners or admins of a ClickUp Workspace can choose from 35+ ClickApps to customize their team’s experience. Each ClickApp adds a different functionality to the platform, and you can enable as many as you want! Some of them include:
- Clip: Screen Recording allows you to create one-click videos of your screen without leaving the platform
- Docs Home: Organize and work on all your documents from one central place
- LineUp: Give each person an order of tasks to do next or provide clarity to your team on what’s in your queue
- Pulse: See who’s online, what people are working on, and what they did today in real-time
- Time Tracking: Calculate how long a task is likely to take based on its subtasks
All these ClickApps allow you to improve your team’s productivity!
With ClickUp Automations, you don’t have to handle repetitive tasks manually. You can easily automate them to focus on more productive tasks. It doesn’t even require you to build your own code! You can use pre-built automation recipes or customize them to automate such tasks as:
- Changing assignees and priorities or applying tags and templates to status changes
- Assigning teammates to a task when statuses change, tags added, or priorities shift
- Updating task statuses, assignees, tags, and more when a priority changes, a new task is created
- Setting actions to take place when a certain date arrives
- Changing the status, assignee, tags, and priorities when a task is created
- Updating your work when it moves to a new location, from swapping assignees to adding new tags or a template
With so many custom and pre-built automation, ClickUp can save you and your team a lot of time and avoid errors.
ClickUp Mind Maps allow you to plan and organize projects, ideas, or existing tasks. It allows you to create a flow diagram of your ideas and illustrate the relationship and hierarchy between concepts. It is perfect for creating a team plan, organizing ideas, and visualizing task structures.
Using it is as easy as drawing on paper, only that it has the added advantage of being saved immediately. It allows you to easily share it with your entire team, keeping everyone in the loop about the project’s progress.
As more organizations switch to remote and hybrid work environments, there has been a higher demand for more tools critical to collaboration. One such tool is a whiteboard.
Whiteboards in ClickUp stand out from the rest because it allows you to turn real-time ideas directly into actionable projects. It allows all team members to collaborate in real-time, and everyone sees everyone else’s cursor movement. It also allows you to add content to the whiteboard in various ways, such as texts, notes, images, and videos, among others.
Other popular features include:
- It is very easy to use and has powerful features
- It has many tools to simplify the handling of multiple tasks and projects
- 24/7 world-class support
- It can be used for project and task management, as well as a knowledge base
- It can be accessed on mobile, making it easy to keep track of projects
- Might be too complex for an individual’s needs
- Not all ClickUp views are available on the mobile app just yet
- Free Forever Plan (best for personal use)
- Kanban boards
- Unlimited tasks and members
- Collaborative Docs
- 24/7 Support, and more
- Unlimited Plan (best for small teams ($5/member per month)
- Everything in the Free Forever Plan
- Resource management
- Unlimited Storage, Dashboards, Custom Fields
- Agile reporting, and more
- Business Plan (best for mid-sized teams ($12/member per month)
- Everything in the Unlimited Plan
- Custom reporting
- Advanced automation, time tracking, and Dashboard features
- Timelines, Mind Maps, and more
- Business Plus Plan (best for multiple teams ($19/member per month)
- Everything in the Business Plan
- Subtasks in multiple Lists
- Custom permissions
- Custom capacity in workload
- Personalized admin training, and more
👉 If you need a full software suite to handle your Enterprise workloads and processes, we’d love to help set you up for success! Please contact Sales when you’re ready.
Draw.io is open-source diagramming software, meaning it is completely free. Despite its limited design options, it is one of the best Lucidchart alternatives because of its cost-free nature and several features. However, its limited design options make it perfect for simpler projects.
You can use Draw.io to create network diagrams, flowcharts, UML diagrams, Organizational charts, and ER models among others.
The software is browser-hosted and can be used online or offline on all operating systems. Because it integrates with Google Drive, OneDrive, Confluence Server/Cloud, Dropbox, and more, it is great for projects that require collaboration.
To simplify diagramming, it has several templates and supports multiple import-export formats. It also has a convenient search function to enable working on projects faster. You don’t need to create an account to use Draw.io.
- It is completely free
- It integrates with Google Drive, OneDrive, and GitHub, among others
- Easily produces good quality diagrams
- Allows grouping of shapes
- It doesn’t have the advanced features of others in this list such as ClickUp
- Sometimes when opening an existing diagram, the view is usually fully zoomed in, which can be a bit disconcerting
- Draw.io is free to use
Creately is a diagramming tool that works just as well as, if not better than, Lucidchart but is more affordable.
It comes with an easy-to-use interface, neat and free from clutter. It also features an extensive library of templates for all topics and industries and automation and drag-and-drop features to create flowcharts and other diagrams fast and easy. The contextual toolbar that suggests the shapes you can use as you draw isn’t available in Lucidchart.
Creately has several real-time collaboration tools such as video conferencing. They allow you to work seamlessly with your colleagues and track changes when the need arises. It also supports all devices so you can take your work with you wherever you go.
The software has more than 50 diagram types and supports multiple languages. It integrates with Slack so if your team does a lot of work on Slack, it is a huge plus.
- Very easy to use with excellent collaborative features
- Everybody can see the changes made by others immediately, making it simple to respond and decide
- The free version comes with several features
- It is affordable compared to others on this list
- Instinctive and simple to utilize
- It’s hard to import an SVG record
- Users report a hard time getting shapes and lines to connect well
- Free plan
- Personal plan at $4/month
- Team plan at $4.75/month/per user
- Enterprise plan (custom pricing)
No list of Lucidchart alternatives would be complete without one of the most well-known names in visual diagramming, Visio by Microsoft.
Visio is owned by Microsoft and is part of the 365 toolsets. It is a very powerful diagramming tool that allows you to easily collaborate on projects thanks to its annotations, co-authoring, and skype integration features. It allows real-time collaboration to increase the productivity of the team.
This software has an intuitive interface. Compared to Lucidchart, it has more templates, customizable shapes, and starter diagrams.
Any diagrams created in Visio are accessible to everyone due to its various accessibility features such as the narrator. Its notable features include high security, business process modeling, data flow diagrams, and 3D maps, among others.
- Can utilize thousands of symbols from various categories like devices, flows, etc.
- It has several features that are easy to use
- The integration with other Office products is great
- It is easy to find Visio resources online.
- Formatting is a challenge when you have large projects, and it’s difficult to view all of them
- It is very pricy
- Has fewer integrations
- The standard Visio is worth $309.99, and the Visio professional is $579.99 for a one-time purchase. You can subscribe to Visio plan 1 for $5 per user per month, or Visio plan 2 for $15 per month per person
One of the reasons why Gliffy is so popular is how easy it is to use for beginners. It has an easy drag-and-drop interface, and you don’t have to have experience with a diagramming tool to use it, thanks to its many templates and themes.
Gliffy is one of the more convenient Lucidchart alternatives because you can download a Chrome version when you don’t have an internet connection.
Although it doesn’t have an API to allow you to build your integration solutions, it integrates with popular apps such as JIRA, WordPress, and Confluence.
- You can use it offline
- Easy to set up and use
- You have unlimited access to templates
- Easy to share your work
- Its object customization is limited and can’t be used for complex diagramming
- Does not have a free version
- It is not as versatile as ClickUp or Lucidchart
- $8/month/per 1-9 users
- $6/month/per 10-50 users
- Enterprise (custom pricing)
XMind is a great choice for timelines, mind maps, and flowcharts. With features such as timeline, matrix, and fishbone chart, it has considerable advantages over Lucidchart when it comes to mind mapping.
XMind has minimalistic flowchart features to inspire creativity and generate ideas. So, if you want to brainstorm, XMind is better suited to it than Lucidchart. It also offers multiple ways to capture thoughts and structure them to stay organized.
You don’t have to be online to use XMind because it is an app, which can be installed on all platforms. This allows you to distribute projects seamlessly to increase efficiency and productivity.
Two versions are available: an older and simpler XMind 8 and a stronger and more complicated XMind 2020. The latter has more features and customization options.
- It is compatible with all devices
- Visually pleasing diagrams
- Users have several options on how to structure their mind maps
- Fast and responsive UI
- Generating Markdown files for the mind maps
- A few steps are needed to mark a label for each customized branch
- It needs more customization options
- $39.99/6 months
There are two features of Mindmeister that make it as likable as it is. First, its simple and intuitive interface makes it easy to create mind maps. Second, unlike Lucidchart, which is billed on a per-user basis, Mindmeister is billed per month. That means a whole team can use a single account instead of paying for each individual, making it more affordable than most. It also has several customization options and great collaboration features.
Some notable features of Mindmeister include 24/7 backup, team collaboration, project prioritization and management, and presentation-building tools. It also allows you to set project deadlines.
There is a free and a paid version. The free version allows you to publish and share a link to diagram drawings, but you must upgrade to the paid version to export it.
- It is easy to use and has good results
- You can incorporate costings, weblinks, and notes
- You can export your creations in a variety of formats
- It supports different types of media apart from text
- Can only be used online
- Exporting options are only available through paid accounts
- Free plan
- Personal plan: $2.49/month/per user
- Pro plan: $4.19/month/per user
- Business plan: $6.29/month/per user
If you would like another of the popular Lucidchart alternatives that will help you effectively collaborate and centralize communication through the entire team or organization, look no further than Miro.
Miro has a robust set of tools that allows your team to brainstorm ideas, map processes, and develop strategies. It also comes with smart frameworks and many templates to speed up operations. Among its notable features are sticky notes, infinite canvas, and embedded videos.
This app integrates with over 70 apps and an API to help you optimize various aspects of your products. It also offers advanced security (such as SSL encryption and audit log) to keep your work and files secure.
- Has advanced security features
- It is free and easy to register and start using
- Provides a good collaborative experience with your team members
- It has the flexibility needed to layout different ideas for different people and objectives
- Some editing options for different tools are limited
- It is not easy to change the board
- It is pricy
Similar to most on this list, there are four plans you can use to acquire Miro:
- Free plan
- Team plan: $8/month/per user
- Business plan: $16/month/per user
- Enterprise: (custom pricing)
If you already have design skills and experience with diagramming, you should consider OmniGraffle. In terms of Lucidchart alternatives, this app is exclusively for Mac and iOS users. If you have Windows or Android, look into the other options on this list.
OmniGraffle is an offline app with a ton of customization options to help achieve the desired outcome. On top of prototyping and diagramming, it also allows you to design vectors, so you can design almost anything you want using shapes.
The Omni Group, developers of the app, offers several apps you can use to complement OmniGraffle.
- Integrates and is complemented by other apps by the developer
- It has several customization tools and options
- Can be used online
- You can design almost anything you want out of shapes
- It is not for newbies
- Its templates are limited
- It is exclusively for Mac users
Some diagram software can be a bit too complex, especially compared to some of the Lucidchart alternatives in this list. However, Coggle has a straightforward build to make your design process as simple as possible.
Coggle allows you to easily create and share your flowcharts and mind maps. It also allows you to easily collaborate as you can invite your team members to collaborate on tasks. Moreover, any projects that you share appear on everyone’s browser instantly.
With Coggle, you can create flexible diagrams with loops and joining branches and create multiple starting points for your diagrams with more than 1600 icons. You also get unlimited image uploads, floating texts, and images to annotate your map. It comes with a wide selection of templates to help you get started in no time.
You can integrate Coggle with Google Drive to secure your data.
- It is visually appealing
- Easy to pick up and use
- Can be accessed from any device at any time
- Works seamlessly with Google services
- It can be difficult to use for presentations
- It has a limited number of colors
- Coggle can get clunky or feel slow when the mind map gets too big
Coggle has three pricing plans:
- Free forever
- Awesome plan: $5/month/per user
- Organization plan: $8/month/per user
Time to make the switch to one of these Lucidchart alternatives
The best alternative for you is one that answers all the problems you face in your day-to-day. The 10 Lucidchart alternatives above are great for diagramming and can handle several other tasks. We hope you will find one for your needs.
But if we had to point you to one, it would be ClickUp!
It handles not just diagramming but many functions such as automation, screen recording, and other tools to manage your team and projects. You can get in the driver’s seat and create a free ClickUp account!