5 Great MindMeister Alternatives & Competitors For 2023 (Pros, Cons, Pricing)
Look, we get it.
You might have tons of brilliant ideas flowing through your mind, and MindMeister is a great place to visualize and solidify them.
But that’s kinda all MindMeister is good for.
If you’re looking for mapping software that can do a little more than just mind mapping, then a MindMeister alternative is definitely what you need.
But with hundreds of mind mapping software, how do you know which one is as brilliant as your ideas?
In this article, we’ll cover why you need an alternative to MindMeister and review five fantastic MindMeister alternatives, along with their key features, pros, cons, pricing, and customer ratings.
Let’s map out these alternatives!
What Is MindMeister?
MindMeister is a web-based mind mapping software.
You can use it for brainstorming, project planning, and other creative tasks.
Once you’ve created a mind map, you can share it with others and even publish it online for all the world to see. 📸
Here are a few other things you can do with this mind map software:
- Collaborative mind mapping
- Customize map themes
- Conduct presentations using presentation mode
- Print your maps
3 Reasons Why You Need A MindMeister Alternative
Although those above features sound great, MindMeister has a few limitations:
1. Lack of task management features
MindMeister is an adequate tool for simple note-taking and ideation. Still, the mapping application is quite limited in the task management department.
Sure, your team can use MindMeister to develop and discuss a project idea, but what happens when you need to take action on that idea?
MindMeister just doesn’t have any project tracking features to help you execute that plan.
If only there was a task management tool that had both mind mapping and project management features…
2. Limited free plan
MindMeister’s free plan doesn’t let users export their mind maps or even add file and image attachments to their mind maps.
On top of that, you only get three mind maps for free!
Trying to calculate how that’s going to work for your team?
Don’t worry. We’ve done the math for you.
Our calculations show that MindMeister’s free plan is just too limited for any creative team.
3. Limited integrations
Here’s something else you can count on your fingers: MindMeister’s integrations.
The MindMeister software only integrates with nine tools, which include Dropbox, Evernote, and Google Docs.
So unless your team already uses those nine integrations, you’re going to have a hard time switching between tons of different apps just to get things done.
The 5 Best MindMeister Alternatives
It’s clear that MindMeister won’t cut it.
But don’t worry.
Here are the five best MindMeister alternatives available today:
ClickUp is the world’s leading project management and mind mapping software.
From providing you with advanced task management features to bringing out your best ideas, ClickUp is the ultimate alternative to MindMeister.
ClickUp key features
Here are just some of the ways ClickUp can get you and your team’s creative juices flowing: 💡
1. Mind Maps
Mind Maps help you plan projects, map out ideas, and even organize existing tasks.
ClickUp’s Mind Maps also come with two excellent modes:
A. Task mode
Map out your workflow for existing projects by quickly creating, editing, and deleting tasks (and subtasks) without leaving the Map view.
Task mode is a great way to see how all your projects connect.
Here’s what you can do in Task mode:
- Use different color connectors to identify a Folder, List, or Task. Once you reach the Task and Subtask level, the color will indicate the status of that task
- Apply Filters to view only the required branches
- Grab the branch’s diamond to move a task from one list to another 💎
Task mode’s intuitive drag and drop functionality lets you map out the workflow of your existing projects in just a few clicks!
B. Blank mode
Create a Mind Map from scratch that’s independent of any existing task structure with the Blank mode. 📝
You can fully customize your connector colors and convert them to tasks later.
Here’s what you can do in Blank mode:
- Use the re-layout option to arrange all the nodes automatically
- Use the node toolbar or your keyboard to delete or create a node
- Move a node and its connected branches by simply dragging it to any other node
But that’s not all.
Irrespective of if you choose the Blank mode or Task mode, the Mind Map view also lets you do other cool things like:
- Rename tasks
- Select multiple tasks for easy organization
- Use the Multitask Toolbar to convert tasks into subtasks, add tasks, and set due dates and priorities
- Zoom in and out no matter how big your mind map is 🔎
Don’t want to have a brainstorming session alone?
Public Sharing lets you share your Mind Maps with team members and clients for real-time collaboration.
Each task in ClickUp has a dedicated space for Comments. This way, teams can send quick task-related messages without wondering where the message was sent or if it will get lost.
You can also Assign Comments to team members if your comment requires action to be taken. Once the task has been completed, your teammate can resolve the comment.
The Notepad is the perfect place for you to jot down any crazy ideas that come to mind, even when you’re wide awake in bed at 4 am!
No one else can see your Notepad, so feel free to list down anything.
You can then convert these thoughts to actionable tasks you want to share with your team when you’re ready.
Create Docs, wikis, and knowledge bases anywhere in ClickUp.
Your Docs can have an unlimited number of pages, and you can share them with the people you choose.
You can even mention team members and create tasks from within the Doc.
Use Doc Relationships to link Docs among themselves or with tasks.
This way, you can access your Docs in more than one place without having to duplicate them every single time!
5. Gantt Charts and Timeline view
Mind maps help you develop brilliant plans.
But, what’s a brilliant plan without a schedule?
You know it!
That’s why the Gantt view lets you plan your time, manage your workload, and see what tasks are dependent on each other.
Simply draw lines between tasks to set, and you can visualize Task Dependencies.
You can also hover over the progress bar to see how close you are to completing a Folder or List.
The Timeline view is similar to Gantt, except you can have multiple tasks in a row.
The Timeline view displays your project tasks linearly so you can visualize your project roadmap with ease.
You can also Group Timelines for further planning and share them with anyone!
Still a little confused about the differences between Gantt charts and timelines? Here’s more info on Gantt Chart vs Timelines.
- Powerful free version with unlimited users
- User-friendly interface with online and offline mode
- Agile Widgets to track progress and performance of your Agile team
- Multiple Views like project Board view, List view, and Box view for your project needs
- Assign Tasks to teammates so nothing slips through the cracks
- Send and receive emails within ClickUp tasks using the Email ClickApp
- Add comments to PNG, GIF, PEG, WEBP, and PDF files with Proofing and Annotation
- Use a Keyboard Shortcut or Hotkey to save time
- 50+ Task Automations to streamline workflows
- Integrates with several third-party software like Evernote, Time Doctor, Salesforce, and more
- Add and manage tasks using our Mobile Apps (iOS app and Android app)
- Can’t export Dashboards
Check out ClickUp’s roadmap here to see how we’re fixing these minor drawbacks and get our list of best ClickUp alternatives.
Also, get to know all the exciting features that this MindMeister free alternative has in store for you!
ClickUp has a powerful free plan for unlimited users. Paid versions start at just $5/user per month.
ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
2. Microsoft Visio
Microsoft Visio is a diagramming tool that lets you create org charts, mind maps, and even floor plans.
But Microsoft Visio’s cheapest paid plan is very limited.
You don’t get annotations, ready-made templates, or even instant updates!
Here’s how you’ll react when you come across month-old project updates you didn’t even know existed:
Microsoft Visio key features
- Connect the app to your data sources to get an overview of your business performance
- Convert Excel spreadsheets into charts
- Ready-made brainstorming templates
- Customizable shapes, colors, and connectors
Microsoft Visio pros
- Collaborate on a diagram using Microsoft Teams
- Share, edit, and view your process map from any browser or device, including iPhone and iPad
- Access library of symbols, stencils, and shapes ⬛🔺🟠
- Team members can view, comment, and share powerful Visio diagrams in Teams without a Visio license
Microsoft Visio cons
- No desktop version for Mac iOS and Linux users
- The cheapest paid plan can only be used in a browser. You’ll need to upgrade to use it on your desktop
- Not as intuitive as other mapping software
Microsoft Visio pricing
This mind mapping tool doesn’t offer a free plan, and paid plans start at $5/user per month.
Microsoft Visio customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (1,700+ reviews)
MindManager is a mapping tool that gives you a 360-degree perspective on your organization to reduce confusion, improve team communication, and enhance productivity.
But with this mind map tool, you’ll have to pay up some pricey add-ons if you want features like co-editing, publishing, sharing, and a Microsoft Teams integration.
Sounds like you’ll have to spend hundreds just to come up with a million-dollar idea!
MindManager key features
- Built-in business and educational mind mapping templates
- Drag and drop functionality
- Capture images, links, and notes with MindManager Snap
- Collaborate in real-time on diagrams
- Take your mind maps with you using the mobile app
- Create an org chart, flowchart, mind map, or concept map
- Access Gantt charts, budgeting features, and timelines
- This collaboration tool is available for Mac iOS and Windows users
- Steep learning curve
- A limited selection of images and icons to choose from
- No free plan available
This mapping software has pricing plans that start at $327.00 as a one-time payment/per user. The integrations cost between $99–118/year.
MindManager customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (50+ reviews)
XMind is a mind mapping tool that encourages you to let your ideas grow on trees.🌲
One of the downsides of this mind mapping software is that you have to sign up for a minimum of six months.
Don’t worry, ClickUp’s waiting for you with open arms. 🌹
XMind key features
- Outliner mode switches your mindmap into a list-based document
- An equation feature that lets you add mathematical and chemical equations
- Mind map templates like bubble mapping and question-storming
- Choose themes and customize shapes, lines, and colors
- Zen mode to help you concentrate on one mind map
- Choose from different structures like fishbone chart, matrix, timeline, and the org chart
- Export your mind maps as PNG, PDF, or markdown files
- Import from other mind mapping tools like MindManager, MindNode, and FreeMind
- No free plan available
- Lack of project management features
- Can’t create tasks from mind maps
This mapping tool has pricing plans that start at $39.99 for six months (limited to five systems).
XMind customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (70+ reviews)
5. Google Drawings
Google Drawings is a MindMeister alternatives free tool that lets you create personal artworks like a meme, sketch, or GIF.
Google Drawings key features
- Templates for different diagrams like a timeline, cycle, and hierarchy
- Arrows, lines, text boxes, various shapes, and a library of free images
- Comment on and edit drawings in real-time with teammates
- Create flowcharts, diagrams, concept maps, and even memes
Google Drawing pros
- Create unlimited mind maps
- Works with Google Docs and Google Sheets, and more
- Share your online mind map as a template so other people can use them too
- Your mind map is automatically saved and stored in Google Drive
Google Drawing cons
- No mobile apps
- This mapping tool is web-based, so you can’t use it offline
- Not as intuitive as other mind mapping software
Google Drawing pricing
You need a Google Account to use this mind mapping software
Google Drawing customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
The Final Branch Of Your Mind Map
MindMeister lets you capture and develop ideas, but does that mean it’s a good creative project management tool?
Unfortunately, MindMeister doesn’t provide teams with both mindmapping and project management features.
Luckily, there are a few mind mapping software that can easily take MindMeister’s place.
And while we did point out some decent alternatives to MindMeister, ClickUp should be the only stop on the map.
Not only does ClickUp have beautiful mind maps, but it also has tons of other team collaboration and task management features like Collaboration Detection, Task Priorities, and Recurring Tasks.
Get ClickUp for free today and experience a mind mapping tool that works!
Questions? Comments? Visit our Help Center for support.