10 Best Org Chart Software for 2022
You’ve probably heard the phrase “hyper-growth” thrown around in either viral posts, email newsletters, or even your own company meetings—when the organization is growing by leaps and bounds across departments. More leads are pouring into your sales funnel, and you’re ushering in new hires to handle the ever-expanding tasks and processes.
This is exciting! And requires some hefty planning and organization to pull it off right.
Keeping track and making sense of how so many new roles fit together in an organization is challenging and sometimes stressful. How do you know who is reporting to who? And who is responsible for a particular task?
Enter: org charts. 🏹
Org charts are great assets for making sense of how everyone’s roles fit together, especially for companies experiencing an influx of new hires. But how do you make one? Well, you guessed it—there are a ton of resources to help you do that, and we’ve done the work to help you choose the one that suits you best.
Let’s dive into the top 10 org chart software options to dissect key features, pros, cons, reviews, and more.
What is org chart software?
We’ll confirm your suspicions right here and now—yes, org charts is short for organizational charts. And while it may seem like an HR-only tool and part of HR KPIs, they actually benefit everyone working for the company.
An org chart is a diagram that displays your company’s entire employee structure, showing every department, how they relate to each other, and the roles that fill them out.
Org chart software tools come in handy when you desire to model your workforce for maximum efficiency and effectiveness, or when you’re trying to figure out the right person to contact across departments you’re not familiar with. The result is an org chart that helps people know who reports to who, who does what, and the flow of the company.
Plus, growing companies experience frequent change when it comes to department structures, so having an updated org chart accessible to everyone at all times is important for executing processes with confidence and efficiency.
What are the top 10 best organizational chart software?
Buckle up for our top 10 org chart software, ranked and reviewed for your convenience.
ClickUp is an all-in-one productivity tool that teams across industries turn to optimize their processes, monitor project updates, and collaborate smarter, all on one platform. ClickUp is designed for teams of any size—from solopreneurs to large-scale enterprises, making it a flexible and ideal resource for growing companies looking to generate org charts to higher levels. 🚀
Whether you’re a newbie or a guru, you can customize ClickUp’s capabilities to fit your team’s size and needs.
While ClickUp is packed with hundreds of functional tools, we recommend you begin with these two for your org chart and digital diagramming needs (without coughing up any coin!): Whiteboards and Mind Maps. 📈
Key feature 1: ClickUp Whiteboards 🎨
With ClickUp Whiteboards, creating an org chart has never been easier or more fun. Draw freehand in coordinated colors, drag connections between shapes, drop in images or media, and embed Docs to bring your org chart to life—all on an endless canvas with real-time editing to work alongside the team without overlap.
- Create a whiteboard like a pro with templates designed to add a flexible structure to your diagrams
- Work on your ClickUp Whiteboard with the team or on your own with Personal View to prep your chart before you present it
- Convert any shape on your board directly into a task in ClickUp to act on your ideas instantly
- Add media, embed links, bring in Docs, reporting, and draw relationships to add context to your board
- Add or edit objects quickly using hotkeys known as Slash Commands. 🔥
👉 Learn how ClickUp Whiteboards and Docs can redefine collaboration among your team.
Key feature 2: ClickUp Mind Maps 🧠
If you thought ClickUp Whiteboards were cool, you’re going to love Mind Maps. Plus, you can even make a Mind Map on your Whiteboard! But more on that in a little bit. 🤓
A mind map is a hierarchical diagram that you build around one or more main ideas. It enhances the non-linear organization of information, allowing you to view and analyze a concept like a pro.
Some common mind map use case examples include project management, business strategy planning, and manufacturing.
ClickUp Mind Maps gives you space to stretch your org chart and ideas to infinity! No wonder it scoops the first position among the best mind mapping software. Not to mention, you can add Lists, tasks, checklists, and subtasks from your workspace directly to your ClickUp Mind Map, allowing it to stay automatically updated if those resources are edited.
- Easily to build, tweak, and delete org charts directly from Mind Maps
- Switch to Blank Mode and build your mind map from the ground up
- Enjoy clean visibility of your org chart by filtering out empty branches
- Update everyone outside your Workspace about your project’s progress
👉 Delve deeper into how Mind Maps will change the way you manage projects.
- Mobile-friendly platform to create and view your org chart on the go
- An all-in-one solution for every tool in your tech stack—no need to bounce between tabs and over 1,000 integrations to smooth over your workflow
- Invite and collaborate with the entire team to build the org chart
- 24/7 customer support and in-depth webinars
- Choose from a growing library of ready-made templates or customize your own to save time
- It gifts you 100+ native integrations including Integromat and Zapier
- The mobile app doesn’t have all ClickUp views…yet! 🔮
Hop onto a Free-forever plan to see how ClickUp can work wonders for you. Then upgrade to skyrocket your org chart creation (the following prices are billed yearly):
- Unlimited ($5 per seat per month): Tons of powerful Whiteboards features, Docs, templates unlimited tasks and members, 100MB of storage, and more
- Business ($12 per seat per month): Unlimited storage, unlimited integrations, unlimited Dashboards, Agile reporting, and more
- Business Plus ($19 per seat per month): Google SSO, unlimited teams, custom exporting, advanced public sharing, advanced automations, and more
- Enterprise (Custom pricing, contact us!): Subtasks in multiple Lists, custom role creation, custom permissions, increased automations and API, and more
ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (4,430+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2,820+ reviews)
2. The Org
The Org is another one of the best free org chart software to create and share your organizational structure with everyone—and we mean everyone. Anyone can access the org charts created on this platform, so you can peek into other leading companies’ org charts (Think: Google, Tesla, Netflix, and Amazon) and borrow inspiration from other powerful companies to fuel your business.
The Org top features
- Explore: Browse and follow leading behemoths in various industries for powerful inspiration
- Guides: Grab in-depth and free resources to create better org charts, sharpen your hiring skills, and boost your team structures
- Talent: Looking to entice top-in-class candidates? Show off your culture and people using a public org chart.
- Scout: Get high-quality and curated candidates on your calendar
The Org pros
- User-friendly UI makes using the platform a breeze
- Allows your team to interact with other companies’ crew, share ideas, and show off what you got—almost like org chart social media!
- Candidates can view your open roles and see if they’d be a good fit
The Org drawbacks
- TBH, you just might not want to share your org chart with external parties yet
The Org pricing
You can use this org chart software free of charge!
The Org customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
A cloud-based workspace, Lucidchart allows you to do more than just crafting your own org chart. From creating mindmaps and wireframes to brainstorming ideas, the tool holds up against a lot of major tests.
You can start from the ground up or grab a template to create org charts quickly.
Lucidchart top features
- Diagraming features: Diagram your processes and people for optimum communication of complex ideas.
- Intuitive interface: The cloud-based platform makes diagramming painless, no matter the operating system, device, or browser
- Collaboration tools: Fire up your collaboration! Grab collaborative cursors, in-editor chat, co-authoring features, and shape-specific comments.
- Auto-visualization: Generate ERDs, org charts, and more using auto-visualization
- Data linking: Overlay crucial details on existing diagrams to view data in context instantly
- Integration: Integrate with Asana, Microsoft Office, Slack, Google Workspace, and other apps where the conversation is already taking place
- Easy to use
- Presentable and printable interface
- Enable Single Sign-On
- Ready-made templates
- The icon library offers limited common icons, only technical-based assets
- Cannot customize default color and size
- Difficult to customize the portal
- Cannot re-create a new chart on an already personalized one
- Free: Three editable documents, 100 templates (including HR templates), and basic collaboration features and integrations
- Individual (from $7.95): Unlimited editable documents, over 1,000 professional templates
- Team (from $9 per user): Advanced collaboration features and integrations
- Enterprise (customized price): Advanced admin controls
Lucidchart customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (1,610+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (1,430+ reviews)
Creately is a general diagram software with a robust org chart, commenting, and collaboration features. With this tool, your professional diagrams are just a few clicks away. And while Creately is cloud-based, you can also run it offline!
Creately top features
- A workspace that goes beyond visuals: Free your data from spreadsheets and tables. You can add tasks, data, links, notes, workflow status, and more
- Robust Syncing: The same item can appear as a process step, sticky note, or cake! (if that works for you)
- Sensible data integration: Pull in only desired items from usually unrelated platforms
- Stunning user interface
- Easily-customizable org chart
- The free version gives you more room than expected
- A limited number of tutorials
- Creating lines between connections can be difficult
It has a free plan for your test drive test. You can then upgrade to:
- Free: Three workspaces, one folder, a limited number of shapes, basic collaboration features, limited storage
- Personal plan ($4 per month): Unlimited workspaces, unlimited folders, unlimited shapes, 5GB of storage
- Team($4.80 per user, per month): 10GB of storage, unlimited collaboration features, priority support
- Enterprise (custom pricing): Advanced team admin features, SSO, customer success support
Creately customer reviews
- G2: 4.4 (220+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4 (150+ reviews)
ChartHop is one of the new kids on the block when it comes to org chart software. This org chart maker aims to help organizations communicate every individual’s role better and provide transparency by showing who is joining or leaving a company.
ChartHop allows you to manage the ever-changing org chart and store changes for future reference so you can throw your PowerPoint and spreadsheet company directory out the window.
ChartHop top features
- Visualize: Slice and dice your data-rich org chart by several data points like team, tenure, and performance rating
- Export historical versions: Export and audit the whole org chart, last quarter’s snapshot, or just a department
- Filterable employee directory: Coworkers can share skills, interests, hobbies, etc. The results? Stronger relationships
- Individual employees can set goals and be kept accountable
- Promotes a positive company culture
- Locating some crucial features quickly may be challenging
- The org chart zooms in and out quickly making it difficult to navigate effectively
- Some lag when loading
- Basic (free up to 150 employees): Manager and employee tools, org chart feature, employee directory, SSO
- Standard ($8 per employee, per month): Implementation services, people analytics, performance reviews, surveys and feedback
- Premium ($12 per employee, per month): ATS integration, additional integrations, dedicated customer success manager
ChartHop customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (80+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (60+ reviews)
Pingboard claims to be “an org chart with a superpower.” It boasts a whopping 32,000+ templates. So whatever your organization structure may be, Pingboard has your back to map it out in a way that makes sense.
You can craft a complete employee directory with pieces of personal data like interests, job titles, positions, birthdays, and contact details.
Pingboard top features
- 360 degrees view of connections: Quickly identify who reports to who and how your organization fits together
- Automatic updates: Someone joined the organization, changed their name, or moved up the ladder? Pingboard will update their details automatically
- Announce open roles: Get the word out about internal opportunities and expected roles. Who would they report to and work with?
- Secure sharing: You can share the org chart with the board of directors, consultants, and others
- Private org chart: Brainstorm reorg and hiring ideas before posting open roles on the live org
- Can integrate with individual’s calendar for streamlined communications regarding new employees, birthdays, and work anniversaries
- Mobile responsive
- Integrates with various platforms like OneLogin, Google Suite
- If you’re on the free plan, you will fight off your fair share of repeated prompts urging you to upgrade, even if you’re satisfied with the free plan
- A bit more pricy than its closest competitors
- Team (starting from $99 per month for 50 seats): Directory and profiles, org charts, peer recognition, custom fields, reports, and org sharing feature
- Company (starting from $199 per month for 1,000 seats): Advanced syncing, API
Pingboard customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (280+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (580+ reviews)
7. ClosePlan by People.ai
People.ai brings you ClosePlan, a third-party Salesforce application. This software allows you to build an org chart directly from your current Salesforce contacts.
CloseUp Relationship Maps offers sales teams a seamless org chart creator to visualize an organization’s structure, and view leads through to a close.
ClosePlan top features
- Engagement data: People.ai sources data from collaboration system, calendar, and email. The result? In-depth visibility into opportunity progression and quality
- AI-powered insights: Identify obstacles along the deals’ journey to get leads back on track. This boosts close rates tremendously
- Quantify deals and funnel health: Boost revenue predictability by quantifying deals and sharing them across the organization
- “Smart” relationship maps: Automatically generate these maps in Salesforce and auto-populate the activity and contact fields
- Provides real data for B2B sales teams to build accurate forecasts
- Offers the capability to classify and track opportunities as they crawl through a sales funnel
- Speeds-up sales cycle: You can identify budget owners and influencers that can accelerate the process
- Has a steep learning curve
Contact People.ai for pricing
ClosePlan customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 5/5 (1 review)
Don’t let Gliffy’s lower prices fool you. It gifts you an intuitive drag and drops interface to kickstart your org chart creation. There are tons of ready-made templates and you can customize their styles, fonts, and colors to reflect your brand style and needs.
Gliffy top features
- Diagram with ease: Employ robust themes or templates to breathe life into your idea. Drag and drop shapes are there too!
- Share: Get a URL to share your creativity. You can also embed it in your website
- Collaborate swiftly: Hand-pick people that can see, edit, and chat about your drawing
- Integration: Use Atlassian to add a drawing to Confluence and Jira
- Track Everything: Track previous versions and revise if necessary
- Import-export: Import previous diagrams and give them a fresh touch. Export new ones.
- Getting started using Gliffy is a breeze
- Familiar and user-friendly user interface with drag and drop functionality
- Extra charges for Confluence add-ons
- Limited features in personal plan
After 2 weeks of a free trial, you can upgrade to either professional or enterprise plan.
- Professional ($8 per month for up to nine users, $6 per month from 10 to up to 50 users): Unlimited diagrams, access to templates, 24/7 email support, commenting, private sharing
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Gliffy’s Atlassian apps also come at a price. 🥵
Both Gliffy Diagrams for Confluence and Gliffy Diagrams for Jira cost:
- $10 per month for up to 10 users
- $3.80 per month from 11 users, up to 100
Gliffy customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (90+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3 (50+ reviews)
A product of Freshworks, Freshteam allows you to create clear org charts painlessly. Organize people, processes, and positions to ensure everyone is on the same page.
Manage HR functions in a single place: Hiring, onboarding, worker’s details, and HR workflows. No more confusion about who is to do what.
Freshteam top features
- Automate mundane tasks: Claims to cut down HR workload by a whopping 75%
- Onboard faster: Reduce new employees’ onboarding questions
- Keep everything organized: Organize and store employee data under lock and key
- Manage time-off: Stress-free tracking and reporting of absence and offs
- Seamless integration: Integrate with 100+ apps to bring every individual to the same wavelength.
- Saves time through automation
- Tracks new hire’s journey and stages
- Capability to curate professional career page
- User experience can be confusing
- Incapable of tracking applicant diversity
- Limited analytics features
- Free (up to 50 users): Up to three published job postings, recruitment team inbox, basic career site, org charts
- Growth ($1.20 per employee, per month + $71 monthly platform fee): Up to 20 published job postings, job board integrations, customizable career site, time off approval workflows
- Pro ($2.40 per employee, per month + $119 monthly platform fee): Up to 100, published jobs, social recruiting, custom job fields, E-sign software
- Enterprise ($4.80 per seat, per month + $203 monthly platform charges): Unlimited onboarding and offboarding checklists, custom URL and SSL certificates, one-click data export
Freshteam customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (200+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (130+ reviews)
Organimi is an easy-to-use org chart software that sticks to the tools you simply need to chart your company’s web of departments. Use a CSV import to craft an organization chart swiftly and add color to your chart to reflect your brand.
Organimi top features
- Create in minutes: Connect with a current HR system or use a direct integration or CSV file to build an org chart quickly
- Keep everyone in the loop: Share the org chart privately or publicly. You can also embed it on a site!
- Channel your inner artist: Grab their SmartChart Legend to show off your creativity in designing an org chart
- Put a face to the name: Connect with the titleholder, thanks to Photo boards and Directory features.
- Responsive technical support
- Multiple options to scale up your organization structure
- Easy to update members’ details
- Some users struggle to set up a new group with a similar title as others in the company
How many employees do you plan to add to the org chart? That will determine the amount to pay.
- Basic (starting from $10 per month, up to 150 employees): Unlimited charts, orgs, and custom fields, manual and automated chart building, chart branding customization
- Premium ($20 per month, up to 150 employees): Unlimited admins, dedicated success manager, access to matrix organizational charts, API access
- Contact for a custom plan with custom pricing
Organimi customer reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (80+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (130+ reviews)
Org Chart Software to finally get things together
Org charts are a must-have part of every modern organization—you can track your entire workforce, visualize data, manage profiles, monitor key metrics, and stay on top of best HR practices.
While the internet clutter is awash with solutions that promise results, our best choices make your search painless. Here’s a rundown of what we found:
- ClickUp: Powerful features that replace any app—built for all organizations, every team size, and any industry
- The Org: A public org chart network for everyone
- Lucidchart: For creating org charts to present to groups
- Creately: For an org chart you can comment on and access offline
- ChartHop: A newer software that aims to replace company spreadsheets and powerpoints
- Pingboard: More pre-made templates than most other solutions
- ClosePlan: See leads and opportunities from A to Z in Salesforce contacts
- Gliffy: For fully drag and drop freedom
- Freshteam: A modern solution for HR
- Organimi: For easy org chart import from CSV
We know it’s a big ask to give 10 software options a try, but there’s no better place to start on your org chart journey than the start of this list—with ClickUp!
Productivity is at the core of every ClickUp feature. With its highly visual Mind Maps, collaborative Docs, and Whiteboards, ClickUp gives you the power to create the org chart of your dreams and easily share it among the team.
And imagine having freedom on a canvas that’s directly connected to your workflow? Turn your org chart into something you can act on with ClickUp. Plus, it integrates with over 1,000 other work tools, allowing you to manage every angle of your organization in a single platform.
Let’s put all of your work in one place. Get Started with ClickUp today. 💡