Ever since OpenAI’s ChatGPT was introduced to the world, marketers, small businesses, and content writers have been looking for an AI content writing tool to make their workloads easier.
But while ChatGPT has been used for numerous outputs⏤from financial planning to nutritionist advice to AI social media posts⏤it’s not the only tool in town.
You’ll find plenty of AI content generator platforms with advanced features that help with blog writing, writing product descriptions, performing keyword research, and even evaluating existing content. It all can feel overwhelming if you’re unsure where to start.
Luckily, we’ve done our homework so you don’t have to. Here, we’ll share the 10 best AI writing tools, comparing features, pros, cons, reviews, and pricing.
What Should You Look for in an AI Writing Tool?
Artificial intelligence (AI) writing tools are based on large language models (LLMs). LLMs are trained using self-supervised machine learning and natural language processing techniques on vast amounts of data. OpenAI’s ChatGPT-4, for instance, was trained on 300 billion words.
Once trained, artificial intelligence models are let loose. Anyone can use them by inputting “prompts” (the same as you do with search engines to find keywords), and the AI tools generate responses and create content. Hence, the term generative AI.
The AI writing software you choose should have the following features:
- Tools built on LLMs: Size matters when it comes to language models. Opt for ChatGPT or machine learning foundation models of a similar size for content writing. Otherwise, even detailed prompts will produce spam and poor-quality content
- Lots of control over text outputs: You should be able to influence the style, tone, language, and content any AI writing software creates
- A user-friendly web-based app: AI content writing tools should make your work easier, not harder. Look for one that’s as comfortable as any marketing agency software you already use. It should work as an AI writing assistant and not a replacement writer
- Affordable for your content output: The generative AI technology and software market is evolving quickly, so prices will likely change as new features are developed. But you don’t want to spend a lot if you’re using an AI writing tool to generate ideas or summarize documents
Now let’s see how the best AI writing tools compare.
Top 10 AI Writing Tools Currently Available in 2023
Whether you are a business owner, content writer, or a part of a marketing team, AI writing tools can boost your writing process and reduce repetitive, time-consuming writing tasks—like summarizing your latest campaign, crafting sales emails, or generating blog post ideas.
Here’s a list of the 10 best AI writing tools with all the details you need to know.
ClickUp, the all-in-one productivity platform, now includes ClickUp AI, an AI content generator and assistant that will help you get your work done faster. This AI writing software is helpful for beating writer’s block, brainstorming, and streamlining your content creation process.
It’s designed to accelerate productivity with research-backed prompts for every role and use case. This includes dozens of prompts for marketing teams, content managers, and writers to help you create anything from briefs and case studies to the high-quality marketing copy, product descriptions, and blog content.
The best part about ClickUp is you can use its AI tools to write compelling copy and also keep all your Docs in one place. Or you can use the ClickUp Notepad to jot ideas down and store them within the platform.
Whether you need to create a marketing calendar or social media plan, ClickUp is the only productivity software equipped for teams of any size in any industry. Elevate your writing skills and quickly bring your thoughts to life with ClickUp AI.
ClickUp best features
- An AI writing tool tailored for generating bios, brief writing, turning ideas into content outlines, case studies, copy for landing pages, product descriptions, and more
- An extensive Template Library for building workflows, document projects, and process maps in record time
- Advanced features like collaborative Whiteboards and Mind Maps for turning ideas into actionable plans with your team
- 1,000+ integrations to accelerate, customize, and simplify your workflows by bringing other tools into ClickUp, including Slack, Google Drive, and many more
- ClickUp Automations reduce busywork so you can focus on what matters
- It comes with lots of features, so there may be a learning curve (fortunately, there’s a detailed Help Center, webinars, templates, guides, and support to help you make the most of the platform)
- Slack integrations aren’t perfect—yet
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7 per user per month
- Business: $12 per user per month
- Business Plus: $19 per user per month
- Enterprise: Contact ClickUp for custom pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace member per month
ClickUp customer reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (6000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3000+ reviews)
Rytr is an AI writing tool built on OpenAI’s GPT-3 API, created specifically for content generators and writers, SEO, and copywriters.
So why use Rytr (or any AI writing platform) instead of Chat GPT? One of the advantages of using the AI-powered writing assistant is that the prompts and templates are built in for over 40 use cases, from writing Facebook Ad copy or social media posts to creating blog post briefs.
Rytr best features
- Write content in 30+ languages and use over 20 tones and styles
- Check for plagiarism when you write articles and edit the text outputs
- Create AI-based images from prompts
- Create customized use cases for content generation with a premium subscription
- Reviews and our research show that it’s not as powerful as other AI writing assistants
- AI writing app has word-count limitations, even on the unlimited plan
- Free plan
- Saver plan: $9 per month or $90 per year
- Unlimited plan: $29 per month or $290 per year
Rytr customer reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (750+ reviews)
- Trustpilot: 4.8/5 (2,100+ reviews)
Check out these newsletter tools!
With 1 million users and dozens of G2 awards, Simplified is one of the market leaders in AI writing and content creation apps. The AI writer suite helps you create high-quality content for landing pages, product descriptions, and blog content. This makes the list of best ai writing tools because it also helps with other formats, like graphic design, social media scheduling, and even video editing.
Simplified AI Writer best features
- 50+ templates for different types of content generation
- Tailor it to produce short or long-form content in 10+ tones and 30+ languages
- Repurpose your published content with the AI-powered Rewriter Tool
- Text outputs aren’t much better than ChatGPT-4 as it pulls outputs from their API
- Limitations on the number of team members at every price plan (no more than 5)
- Storage limitations of 1GB in the free version and up to 500GB at the highest-priced plan
- Free plan
- Small team: $30 per month for 5 users
- Business: $50 per month (5 users)
- Growth: $125 per month (5 users)
- Enterprise or Agency: Contact Simplified for pricing
Simplified customer reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (850+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (88 reviews)
Frase combines SEO research and AI writing, making it an all-in-one AI content generator and optimization tool. That’s good for SEO and content managers who need a comprehensive solution for turning out briefs quickly. With Frase, you can manage the end-to-end content lifecycle from research to optimization.
Frase best features
- SERP analysis and competitor evaluation generate outline briefs for blog content and marketing copy
- Built-in copywriter tool generates sections of copy, such as project proposals, introductions and FAQ
- To generate more than 4,000 words, the Pro Add-On costs $35 per month
- Lacks accuracy when generating SEO keywords and SERP-based recommendations
- No real free version compared to some other AI tools
- Solo: $14.99 per user per month
- Basic: $44.99 per user per month
- Team: $114.99 (3 users, and $25 per month for additional team members)
Frase customer reviews
- G2: 4.9/5 (280+ reviews)
- Capterra: N/A
Narrato is a relative newcomer to the AI tool writing scene, although not to content marketing. Content managers and SEO pros can use this AI tool for content writing and copywriting to create briefs, assign them to writers through the Narrato Marketplace, and manage the content workflow using the platform.
Narrato best features
- Content marketing project management tools
- Turnarounds in 24-48 hours with low prices and unlimited revisions
- Built-in plagiarism checker during the content creation process
- AI tool doesn’t always hit the target with content outputs
- 76,000-word monthly limit on the plagiarism checker
- Pro: $65 per month (up to 5 users)
- Business: $125 per month (up to 5 users)
- Custom: Contact Narrato for pricing
Narrato customer reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (5 reviews)
- Trustpilot: 3.2/5 (8 reviews)
WordAI is an AI copywriting tool designed to increase your content output by rephrasing, rewriting, and restructuring sentences and sections of text in everything from web copy to product descriptions and sales pitches. It can create up to 1,000 SEO rewrites from one piece of content through its natural language generation tools.
WordAI best features
- Designed to avoid duplication and artificial intelligence detection
- Content generation platform rewrites entire articles in a few seconds
- Editorial controls let you decide how close to stay to the original content
- Few reviews, many of which describe WordAI as a rephrasing or content-spinning tool
- Limited control and editing functionality for writers and editors
- Monthly: $57 per month
- Yearly: $27 per month (billed annually)
- Enterprise: Contact WordAI for pricing
WordAI customer reviews
- G2: 3.9/5 (17 reviews)
- Trustpilot: 2.6/5 (6 reviews)
Copy.ai is another relative newcomer to the AI content writing scene. It’s built on ChatGPT-4 API access, so it should produce a decent blog and copywriting drafts with the right prompts and inputs.
This AI content generator and AI writing assistant promises premium content in seconds and offers templates for writing articles, social copy, emails, and more. Easily select from a library of short and long-form copy tools to help serve relevant copy and style suggestions based on your selection.
Copy.ai best features
- Template library to help produce blog outlines and briefs for writers
- Higher levels of security make it better for enterprise organizations worried about data compliance
- Recent reviews complain that the service drops from ChatGPT-4 to GPT-3 after a few minutes, limiting the quality of responses
- Many reviews say customer service questions go unanswered and canceling subscriptions is difficult
- Free: Up to 2,000 words per month
- Pro: $49 per month, with unlimited words (limited to 1 user)
- Enterprise: Contact Copy.ai for pricing
Copy.ai customer reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (160+ reviews)
- Trustpilot: 3.9/5 (160+ reviews)
QuillBot is an AI text generator and paraphrasing tool for short and long-form content. It won’t generate new text, but you can use it to summarize or paraphrase a document, article, or anything you give it.
This simple, web-based app can help you avoid plagiarism. Changes in the paraphrased text are color-coded so you can keep track of the written word alterations, which can help new writers on your team.
QuillBot best features
- Seven modes that set the tone or purpose of the modification
- AI-powered thesaurus for finding and swapping out overused words
- Technical issues can force users to spend excess time troubleshooting
- Limited number of monthly pages and words, even in paid plans
- Premium: $19.95 per month (1 user)
- Team: $7.50 per writer per month (minimum of 5 users)
QuillBot customer reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
- Trustpilot: 2.3/5 (75 reviews)
Try out these Quillbot alternatives!
Writerly is an AI productivity software suite for marketing, customer support, and e-commerce teams. Alongside its AI writing tool, Writerly also offers a generative AI Chrome extension. The Chrome extension lets you take ideas from articles as you browse and create content briefs for your writers.
Writerly best features
- Writerly Go integrates with Gmail to save time
- The Creator Cloud includes dozens of custom templates to write content and ad copy
- Can help catch grammar mistakes in the AI writer tool
- Low word counts on the free and lower-priced plans
- Templates need more customization than other content writing AI writing tools
- Free: 1 creator, up to 10,000 words
- Creator AI Chat: $4 per month for 1 user, unlimited words
- Creator AI Studio: $14 per month for 1 user, unlimited words, 50+ templates
- Team AI Studio: $34 per month for up to 3 users, unlimited words, 50+ templates
Writerly customer reviews
- G2: 5/5 (5 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (15 reviews)
Bonus: AI Calendars!
Copymatic is an AI tool that supports content creation in over 20 languages and comes with AI image generation. It’s a versatile and easy-to-use tool with templates, a chat function, a smart editor, and text-to-speech functionality.
Copymatic best features
- Content creation capabilities for everything from social media content to long-form blog articles
- Use a suite of AI tools across the internet with its Chrome extension
- Includes an AI chat assistant—CopyChat—for summarizing online content
- No revision button so rewrites cost extra, which can get costly compared to other AI content creation tools
- It can struggle to maintain desired tone or style with the AI-generated content
- Pro: $29 per user per month
- Team: $49 per month (up to 5 users)
- Enterprise: $99 per month (up to 25 users)
Copymatic customer reviews
- Trustpilot: 4.8/5 (1250+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (29 reviews)
Bonus AI Tools:
Find the Best AI Writing Tool for Your Needs
AI content generators and writing tools are still evolving. But even at this stage of their development, they can streamline work for marketers and writers during the content creation process.
For those looking to go beyond ChatGPT, there are lots of choices. Most features are similar: templates, web-based interfaces, and outline generation. Some come with additional tools, such as generating images.
When picking an AI writing tool, check out the features, reviews, and limitations. Select one that will help you create the volume of content you need while maintaining the quality your business is aiming for.
For an AI writing tool that integrates with a powerful all-in-one project management software suite, consider ClickUp AI. It won’t cost you a thing and you can sign up for free today!