Do you find yourself getting distracted when working on a tight deadline? Or end the day feeling unproductive and wondering where all the time went?
We’ve all been there. From calendar reminders to office meetings and to-do lists, it can get overwhelming to accomplish everything consistently.
We all want to get more done in less time. 🕖
The key to being productive is your ability to manage time effectively. That’s where time management apps come in.
Whether you’re a manager looking to delegate tasks to your team or a freelancer setting up your monthly calendar, there’s an app tailored to your needs. We’ve put together a list of the 10 best time management apps for you to pick from. Read on.
What is a Time Management App?
A time management app is a mobile or desktop-based software application designed to help users plan, keep track, and optimize how they allocate their time across all tasks and manage projects.
They help individuals and professionals organize their schedules, increase productivity, and achieve a better work-life balance. ⏳
Whether you’re a multitasking champion or looking to bring order to the chaos in your personal or professional life, time management tools help you work faster by attributing time records to various tasks and projects.
Plus, they come with added features such as note-taking, to-do lists, task managers, time organizers, project management, and habit tracking. Because it’s not the time in itself you’re tracking but what you’re spending it on.
What Should You Look for in Time Management Apps?
- Cross-platform compatibility: Pick a time management tool that has cross-platform compatibility, which allows you the flexibility to track time spent on a particular task and work across multiple devices, including mobile phones, tablets, and desktop
- Activity tracking: The time management tool should include creating a to-do list of tasks, categorizing, setting priorities and deadlines, and tracking work hours throughout the day. Time management apps must also have the ability to edit time tracked and allow time-blocking manually to stay focused on critical tasks
- Reporting and analytics: A rich analytics dashboard analyzes your productivity and helps identify improvement areas. Use this data to set time estimates accurately
- Intuitive interface: A clutter-free, easy to use and intuitive app interface helps you focus on managing your time rather than figuring out the app navigation
- Integration capabilities: Time management tools should offer seamless integration with project management, communication, invoicing, and calendar apps for professionals and project managers to automate workflows
- Offline functionality: Consider a time management app that can track time spent even when you work offline so that you stay on top of your time even without being connected to the Internet
- Prebuilt templates: Having access to pre-built time budgeting and daily planner templates helps you get started instantly without having to build a daily planner from scratch
The 10 Best Time Management Apps to Use in 2024
Tracking time sets the foundation for any project’s success. You want to deliver projects on time as a team because delays can lead to budget overruns.
A time management app built into your project management platform saves your team the hassle of moving between the time tracking tool and your project management platform. It is a single source of truth to manage time effectively and stay on track towards your goals.
ClickUp’s time management app lets your team track time from any platform, invoice your clients for billable hours, and integrate timesheets into your project workflows.
A wide range of time-saving features, including start and end dates, due date remapping, timesheets, and rescheduling dependencies, make it the best time management app.
ClickUp best features
- Track your time anywhere—on the desktop or the mobile app. The time-tracker works across devices and links time data to ClickUp tasks
- The ability to manually add time entries for past activities and even edit previously tracked entries makes project time-tracking a breeze
- Forecast and set expectations with time estimates, split time estimates between team members on tasks, and view rollups for time estimates to get the bigger picture
- Distinguish between billable and non-billable hours to charge your clients accurately
- Switch from one environment to another without losing out on the current progress of the timer using ClickUp’s global timer ⌛
- Use pre-built templates such as the Time Management Schedule Template, time log templates, and more to organize your day and projects without breaking a sweat
- Timesheets and Billable Reports are available only on Business and Enterprise plans
- Customizing the ClickUp app involves a slight learning curve
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (9000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3800+ reviews)
Our tasks and projects are often scattered in different journals, to-do lists, or even note-keeping apps on our phones.
We miss time slotting them since we don’t see them in one place, leading to missing deadlines on key activities.
Visualizing all our upcoming tasks in one place is the primary step to successful time management.
Notion’s time management tool allows project managers to plan tasks better by visualizing them in one place, supporting multiple calendars and Kanban views, and improving productivity with effective monitoring.
Notion best features
- Task tracking feature to visualize all your planned tasks and projects in one place, prioritize and keep track of their progress
- Timeline view gives flexibility to scope projects, adjust timelines, and customize the views so that you can plot projects and tasks chronologically
- Notion AI auto-fills data, creates analytics reports, and auto-generates new writing ideas to save time while brainstorming
- Mobile app can be slow to use
- The app has a learning curve
- Free for individuals
- Plus: $8/month per user
- Business: $8/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Notion AI can be added to any paid plan for $8 per member/month
Notion ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (4835 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (1946 reviews)
Imagine you’re planning a business event. There are tasks dependent on multiple people across teams. For instance, printing the backdrop depends on the design being ready, while another team is in charge of getting it printed.
Whenever there are dependencies, it is essential to visualize them to understand which task exceeded the budgeted time and caused the delay.
MyLifeOrganized (MLO) creates flexible hierarchical lists with subtasks and defined dependencies to pinpoint the blockers in getting the job done.
MyLifeOrganized best features
- Drag and drop interface for creating to-do lists and rearranging them in the form of a list or virtual tree for easily tracking time
- Create sub-tasks within tasks and even add dependencies within tasks
- Prebuilt template to implement time management techniques such as David Allen’s “Getting Things Done”® (GTD®) approach
- Interface design is not intuitive and easy to use
- Users need an additional subscription to enable cloud sync across devices
- MLO for Android (one-time fee, no monthly charge)
- Professional: $29.99
- MLO for iOS (one-time fee, no monthly charge)
- Professional: $29.99
- MLO for Windows (one-time fee, no monthly charge)
- Standard: $49.95
- Professional: $59.95
- Cloud sync service (to sync progress across different devices)
- $19.95 per year
- $12.95 for six months
MyLifeOrganized ratings and reviews
- G2: Not enough reviews
- Capterra: Not enough reviews
As a project manager, it is essential to understand how your team invests their time and whether there is a better way to maximize everyone’s productivity.
Rize is a time management app that uses AI to improve focus and productivity and build healthy work habits. It helps you manage your tasks between multiple ongoing projects and avoid distractions.
Automatically track tasks, categorize your team’s activities in real-time, analyze how they are investing time, and help them optimize their productivity.
Rize best features
- Automatically tracks time spent on your computer without having to start or stop timers
- Create custom categories to get better insights into where your time is spent
- Set the number of hours to be spent working in a day and get notifications to prevent overworking
- Users report that issues arise while setting up custom categories
- Not available on iOS and Android
- Free trial, only for a month
- Monthly: $16.99 per month
- Annual: $9.99 per month
Rize ratings and reviews
- G2: NA (0 reviews)
- Capterra: NA (0 reviews)
Too many in-person or email check-ins can be overwhelming for your team. What’s worse is that they spend most of their time replying to your emails, which leads to lost productivity.
Using Wrike’s calendars, relevant stakeholders get real-time project progress without checking multiple emails to keep everyone aligned. The project calendar tracks deadlines, project progress, workload clashes, and potential bottlenecks.
Wrike best features
- Wrike’s time-tracking software displays accurate time spent on different projects/tasks, which can be compared with planned hours
- Track time utilized to get the exact billable hours and then sync it with your finance systems for invoicing
- Keep your teams updated with essential milestones for project planning and work in sync on inter-departmental tasks
- Does not have built-in analytics for visualization
- The timeline view does not have an undo feature; you cannot reschedule tasks
- Free: $0 per user per month
- Team: $9.80 per user per month
- Business: $24.80 per user per month
- Enterprise: custom pricing
- Pinnacle: custom pricing
Wrike ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (3500 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (2535 reviews)
6. Toggl Track
Managing billable hours accurately is a key challenge project managers face when working with different team members across the globe. Time management apps help maximize your team’s time on any client project.
Businesses use Toggle to bill clients, measure profitability, and manage workloads. View your tracked time entries in a grid or calendar format, and the time reporting dashboards show where your team spends their time daily and weekly.
Toggl Track’s best features
- Toggl Track Chrome extension allows you to automatically start and stop the tracking time app even when your computer has been idle, but a timer is still running; it also offers ways to correct the recorded block of time
- Create accurate project budgets based on time-tracking data and track billable hours for projects in a client dashboard
- Integrates with all leading Google Calendar, project management tools, HR and accounting platforms
Toggl Track limitations
- Users report instances where session finish times were not captured in the desktop app
- There is no task management or planning feature; you cannot schedule and track your team’s workload
Toggl Track pricing
- Free: For upto five users
- Starter: $9 per user per month
- Premium: $18 per user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Toggl Track ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (1553 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2235 reviews)
Time data is crucial for workload and resource planning, provides real-time estimates of project progress, and is also important for better forecasting and budgeting.
Accurate time-tracking data is instrumental for managing personal and professional projects.
Time management app Asana’s embedded timers help log time automatically and feed real-time data to the analytics dashboard, helping teams stay on track.
Asana best features
- Native time-tracking feature to estimate the time needed to accomplish a task and record the actual time spent
- Create sub-tasks, assign them to team members, and view their progress in real-time 🤝
- Time tracking data can be reported in the analytics dashboard and supports sorting with custom fields such as estimated time, time spent, and more
- Embedded time-tracking is supported only on the Advanced tier plan and above
- The interface is not as intuitive as other apps
- Free: for personal use (time tracking supported through integrations only)
- Starter: $10.99/month (does not support embedded time-tracking)
- Advanced: $24.99/month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Asana ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (9522 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (12270 reviews)
Organizing a big event? TimeTree helps coordinate your events by sharing important information and work schedules. It is a one-stop shop for sharing plans and discussing upcoming exciting events in one single calendar.
TimeTree also has chat capabilities that family, friends, and hobby groups can use to create a calendar for each community and plan events.
TimeTree best features
- Share information in calendar format using the TimeTree Public Calendar
- Streamline all communication in one place and send reminders, photos, or attachments related to the event
- Shared calendar can have up to 200 members
- There is a limit of 20 calendars per account
- Free one-month trial
- Premium: $4.49 per month
TimeTree ratings and reviews
- G2: Not listed on G2
- Capterra: Not enough ratings
It’s difficult to stay consistent while forming new habits. The interactive time management app Habitica offers a reward system highlighting your progress and making it more tangible.
Stay on top of tasks, accomplish to-do lists, boost productivity, and get rewarded every time you complete a major task on this free gamified app for time and task management.
Habitica best features
- Track and manage your time, work habits, daily goals, and to-do list with Habitica’s mobile apps and web interface
- Level up your Avatar and unlock in-game features whenever you check off tasks
- In-game rewards and punishments and a strong social network to inspire users
- Gamification may not be a big motivator for some people
- Monthly: $4.99 and includes 25 gems
- 3 Months: $14.99 and includes 30 gems and one mystic hourglass
- 6 Months: $29.99 and includes 35 gems and two mystic hourglasses
- Annual: $47.99 and includes 45 gems and four mystic hourglasses
Habitica ratings and reviews
- G2: Not enough reviews
- Capterra: Not enough reviews
With busy work schedules and multiple ongoing projects, you need help managing your personal productivity. Trello’s time management app improves your personal time management, refines prioritization methods, and tackles your to-do list.
Trello combines all tasks, teammates, and tools by using their boards, lists, and cards to understand resources and time allocation better.
Trello best features
- Track your personal productivity deadlines with Trello’s Calendar View
- Use Timeline to overlook all tasks of your project progress over time. Simply drag and drop to start or alter due dates as priorities shift 📆
- Manage workloads, overcome bottlenecks, visualize metrics like due dates and assigned tasks, and keep stakeholders informed with Trello Dashboard
- No built-in support for time-tracking
- The free version has limited capabilities
- Standard: $5 per user per month, billed annually
- Premium: $10 per user per month, billed annually
- Enterprise: $17.50 per user per month, billed annually
Trello ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (13427 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5 /5 (23018 reviews)
Maximize your Productivity with the Best Time Management Apps
When you have a lot going on in your life, it can cause stress and a lot of missed deadlines. The right time-tracking app can help you manage your time effectively, improve personal and professional productivity, and achieve a better work-life balance.
When choosing between time management apps that fit your bill, focus on the features, cross-platform capability, integrations with leading project management tools and calendars, automation, and analytics to help you get more out of your time.
ClickUp’s time-tracking features, coupled with the all-in-one project management software, allow you to focus on the most critical tasks.
Try ClickUp for free today and get more done in less time.