Looking for the best Toggl Alternatives?
Toggl is a time tracking tool that also offers some project management and recruitment capabilities.
And at first glance, Toggl may seem like a little magic wand that can wipe all your time management problems away!
However, look closer, and you’ll see that Toggl comes with significant limitations.
In this article, we’ll briefly look at what Toggl is and some of its critical limitations.
We’ll then cover the top ten Toggl alternatives and explore their key features, pros, cons, pricing, and user ratings to help you find the perfect time management tool.
AABRA-KA-DABRA . . . let’s begin 💫!
What Is Toggl?
Toggl started as a time tracking tool to help you stay productive.
It measured how much time you spent on tasks, provided insights on team collaboration, and helped understand how profitable your business is.
However, the tool has evolved to offer more than just an automatic time tracking software.
Today, Toggl offers three products:
- Toggl Track: track the time spent on a workflow accurately
- Toggl Plan: plan and manage your projects
- Toggl Hire: screen and hire candidates efficiently
What more can you ask for, right?!
Well, if you’re like many Toggl users, you’d probably ask for fewer drawbacks for sure. 😕
Here’s a sneak peek at some of Toggl’s critical limitations:
- Limited productivity features, so there’s not a lot you can do to keep your team members focused
- Limited reporting options so you can’t gain deeper insights into team performance
- Separate plans for time tracking, project management, and recruitment makes it expensive
So which tool should you use instead?
Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered 😇!
10 Fantastic Toggl Alternatives
Toggl could have been your time tracking tool of choice if it weren’t for those glaring limitations.
Let’s explore these Toggl alternatives’ key features, pros, cons, pricing, and user ratings:
ClickUp is the world’s #1 project management tool used by 200,000+ super-productive teams in companies like Uber, Airbnb, and Google, as well as startups across the spectrum.
But you’re looking for something that’s focused on time tracking, right?
Don’t worry. ClickUp’s got your back! 💪
ClickUp offers a free time tracking software and other productivity management features to help you track and analyze time spent on tasks and projects.
For starters, ClickUp comes with a Native Time Tracker you can quickly activate inside your Workspace.
Start the Timer to record the time spent on each task, or manually add time entries to keep up.
Using the global timer is a cakewalk:
- You can start and stop time from any device you use since it works on the web app, desktop app, and mobile app
- Quickly shift between multiple projects or tasks you’re working on by creating new time entries
- Keep the Timer visible in the Mini Mode so that you never forget to stop tracking when you complete a task
But that’s not all.
You can also add Labels to time entries for easy filtering, mark time as Billable for quick invoicing, and even add Notes to time entries to specify what exactly you’ve been working on.
- Easy-to-use and intuitive user-interface
- Offline Mode allows you to work from anywhere and sync your tasks whenever you get an internet connection
- Create reminders anywhere within the Workspace to stay ahead of important project deadlines
- It’s super easy for project managers to plan tasks and manage timelines with the interactive Gantt view
- Available as apps for Android or iOS, as well as Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms
- Receive project notifications on your browser, web app, mobile, or email address
- Users can’t export Dashboards from ClickUp
Check out our product roadmap to see how we’re fixing these minor drawbacks and making ClickUp even more magical! ✨
ClickUp offers multiple pricing plans. ClickUp has a feature-rich Free Forever Plan with unlimited projects and users. The paid plans start as low as $7/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,390+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (3,720+ reviews)
TimeCamp is a popular time tracking app that gives you insights into task management and project performance.
But can you rely on it to track productivity while you go hiking away from your basecamp? 🌄
TimeCamp Key Features
- Automatic time tracking records how much time you spend on work or any other task
- Productivity tracking helps you set goals and monitor your productive and idle times
- Website and app usage monitoring tracks the time spent on specific apps, websites, and documents
- Can generate accurate invoices based on time tracked
- Attendance tracking helps monitor clock ins-and-outs, leaves, and overtime
- One-click approvals allow you to process employee timesheets quickly
- The interface is complicated to use
- You can’t customize the dashboard
- Productivity reports offer limited flexibility, so you can’t gain deeper insights into time usage info
TimeCamp offers three pricing plans. The Basic Plan starts at 7 per user per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (530+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (170+ reviews)
Check out these TimeCamp alternatives!
Clockify is a time tracker and timesheet app used to track hours worked across projects.
But should you use Clockify as your go-to time tracker? 🙇
Let’s find out.
Clockify Key Features
- The time tracker allows you to track time spent on tasks automatically or enter hours manually
- Their timesheets lets you log weekly activities, add notes, and view total time spent per activity/day
- Its reports help you understand who worked on what, how much your billable hours are, and allows you to export this data
- Comes with basic project management software capabilities like tasks, estimates, statuses, and more
- Lets you track time spent on other web apps like Jira, ClickUp, GitHub, etc.
- Available as desktop apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux, as well as mobile apps for Android and iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone
- Most users mention that the tool can get a little buggy often
- User-interface is complicated
- No reminders to alert you that the timer is still running, so users log unnecessary time if they forget to turn off the timer
Clockify offers three pricing plans. Paid plans start at $9.99 per user per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,590+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (100+ reviews)
Check out our full Clockify Vs. Toggl guide!
4. Time Doctor
Time Doctor is an employee time tracking and productivity management software popular with remote team members.
But can Time Doctor treat your team’s productivity pain points? 😩
Time Doctor Key Features
- The time tracker helps you track how much time is spent at work on each task, project, or client
- Productivity reports summarize hours tracked per day, week, or any date range you choose and helps you identify unproductive behavior patterns
- Timesheets and payroll help with automatic bulk billing and batch payments
Time Doctor Pros
- Offline time tracking lets you track project progress even if your internet gets disconnected
- Website and app monitoring makes sure that a remote worker or an in-office employee sticks to work-related and productive applications
- Available on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS devices
Time Doctor Cons
- Doesn’t offer a free version and only comes with a 14-day trial period
- Users can’t schedule tasks as they would in project management
- You can’t edit time directly from the desktop app and must log in to the web app for making changes
Time Doctor Pricing
Time Doctor offers three pricing plans. Paid plans start at $8 per user per month.
Time Doctor Ratings
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (390+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (250+ reviews)
Everhour Key Features
- Editable time log for changes and estimates
- Browser extension to track time
- Integrates with ClickUp, Basecamp, Asana, and more to track time within the apps
- Receive reminders about long-running timers
- List and board views for task management
- iPhone app to record time spent on tasks and projects
- No free plan is available
- Limited customization features inside project management views
- Small teams with four or fewer members must pay a minimum of five users
Everhour is $10 per user per month starting at five users.
- G2: 4.7/5 (120+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (260+ reviews)
Harvest is a free Toggl alternative with time tracking, reporting, and online invoicing capabilities that helps you get actionable insights into employee performance.
However, can you harvest well what you sowed here? 🌱
Harvest Key Features
- Timer lets you track time as you work or add hours manually later on
- Invoices pull your billed time to make it easy to share with and bill clients
- Forecast (project management app) integration with Harvest allows you to schedule tasks and manage deadlines
- Automatic reminders to send in your timesheets for approval
- Integration with PayPal or Stripe to effortlessly collect payments from clients
- Detailed reports to help you understand and manage the amount of work handled by your team members
- Paid plan is expensive when compared to other time tracking software
- No screenshot capturing functionality
- Doesn’t allow you to track web or app usage activity
Harvest offers two pricing plans. The paid plan starts at $12 per user per month.
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (450+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (720+ reviews)
Check out our in-depth article on Harvest vs Toggl.
Hubstaff is a complete project management tool with robust time tracking features for team members to keep time on their projects and tasks.
Hubstaff Key Features
- PayPal, Payoneer, Wise, and Bitwage integrations to send payments from the platform
- Idle time detection to stop tracking or reassign time
- Plan and schedule shifts and track team attendance
- Available on desktop, web, mobile, or Chrome
- Automated reminders to team members
- Add notes to time entries
- Employees might feel it violates privacy
- Desk-based employees who spend time on tasks offline are challenging to track
- Limited basic features on the free plan
Harvest offers three pricing plans. Paid plans starts at $7 per user per month.
- G2: 4.3/5 (370+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (1,180+ reviews)
Check out these Hubstaff alternatives!
RescueTime is a web-based time management tool that offers analytics to help users manage their time well and optimize opportunities for deep focus work.
RescueTime Key Features
- RescueTime Assistant tracks progress towards a personalized daily Focus Work goal
- Assesses and reports a user on their on Focus Work, communication apps, and distractions
- Blocks sites for deep focus when Focus Session is activated
- Provides an Activities page that categories work and personal
- Multitasking alert to help get a user back on track
- Web app offers an overview of a user’s work week and goals
- Falls short in project and task management
- No collaboration features
- Lack of customization capabilities
RescueTime offers a free trial. Request user/team pricing with RescueTime.
- G2: 4.2/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (120+ reviews)
Timeneye is a time tracking software with project management tools to help remote teams track time spent on simultaneous tasks and projects.
Timeneye Key Features
- Receive budget notifications, reporting, and project updates
- Access a calendar dashboard and team status overview
- Import and export data
- Create manual or automated time entries
- Add notes, tags, details to time entries
- Check activity in real-time with the personal recap chart
- No free plan is available
- Project management for development and agile teams will be limited
- Unsuitable for cross-functional team collaboration
Timeneye offers all-in-one pricing starting at $7 per user per month.
- G2: 4.6/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 5/5 (100+ reviews)
DeskTime is a time management software offering a detailed work activity analysis and productivity bar to track and gain insight on app usage each day.
DeskTime Key Features
- Offers cost calculation, private time option, and invoicing
- Tracks time spent on URLs, programs, and document titles
- Offline time tracking customized as productive, unproductive, or neutral
- Built-in Pomodoro time tracking software to remind users to take breaks from work
- Shareable out of office calendar to get ahead and plan workloads
- Gallery of team contact cards for communication convenience
- Not suitable for teams that perform tasks away from the screen
- Limited basic features on the free plan
- No task tracking capability
DeskTime offers four pricing plans. Paid plans start at $7 per user per month.
- G2: 4.7/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (230+ reviews)
Choose a Toggl Time-Tracking Alternative Today
Toggl is a pretty decent tool when it comes to time tracking and workforce management. However, it simply isn’t the best there is.
The tool offers limited flexibility with reporting, doesn’t support website blocking, and requires you to purchase separate plans for time tracking, project management, and recruitment.
You deserve better.
Fortunately, you always have ClickUp, the perfect Toggl alternative to rely on.
With ClickUp, you can track time using seamlessly and even add manual time entries. You can also create Goals, assign tasks to Multiple Assignees, draw Mind Maps, manage project progress through a Gantt Chart, and do so much more.
The possibilities are virtually endless!
Why not get ClickUp for free and make your time tracking experience truly magical?