Tired of dealing with paper timesheets? We’re here to help you find construction time-tracking software that’ll make your life easier.
You shouldn’t have to worry about inaccurate billable hours and job costing cutting into your profitability. Let technology handle the little things so you can focus on flawless job sites. ✨
This article highlights the top 10 construction time-tracking software tools in 2023 and what to look for to find the right option for your operation.
What Should You Look for in Construction Time-Tracking Software?
Finding construction time-tracking software to save your business time and money is all about features. The best time-tracking software for construction businesses often includes features such as:
- Affordable plans: Time-tracking software for small businesses shouldn’t break the bank, and you deserve something you can afford
- Mobile device compatibility: Mobile apps for Android and iOS are a must so you and your contractors can use your construction time card app on-site
- Communication: Real-time communication with your contractors and employees helps keep everyone on the same page (even when they’re on different job sites)
- Integrations: Good integrations can automatically sync your time clock app with your other construction project management software
- Templates: Employee scheduling is easier with payroll processing and time management templates
- Notifications and reminders: Construction workers are busy, but notifications prompt them to clock in and out for accurate project monitoring
The 10 Best Construction Time-Tracking Software to Use in 2023
We narrowed it down to the best construction scheduling software so you don’t have to sift through dozens of options.
Ready to find the right time-tracking software for you and your team?
Yeah, we’re biased, but ClickUp won G2’s Best Project Management Software Products for 2023. Why? Because it’s a stellar product for all things project management.
ClickUp simplifies project tracking with real-time reporting and analytics no matter how many jobs you have going. It gives you the tools to set goals, track time data, calculate labor costs, schedule work hours, communicate with field crews, and more. 👷
The best part? With the ClickUp Free Forever plan, you get free Gantt chart software, construction timesheet templates, employee time tracking, accounting software, and detailed reports.
ClickUp best features
- The ClickUp project time tracking feature allows you and your workers to record time from your mobile device, web browser, or desktop; it’s compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge
- ClickUp’s Gantt chart view makes project visualization and management a breeze, allowing you to manage priorities, track dependencies, and collaborate with your teams
- Integrations with 1,000+ tools let you keep everything on ClickUp’s intuitive and customizable dashboard
- ClickUp’s time tracker makes it easy to implement effective time management techniques and track how each team member spent every minute of the workday
- Some users might face a learning curve with ClickUp’s features according to reviews, but this can be solved with the app’s free tutorials
- Map view doesn’t offer real-time GPS tracking for every team member
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace member per month
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,700+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,800+ reviews)
2. Buddy Punch
Buddy Punch is time-tracking software for consultants, construction companies, and businesses needing accurate time data. Larger companies can assign multiple team members to each project manager to keep their crews organized and efficient.
It’s a cloud-based time clock that pre-populates Excel spreadsheets and payroll reports based on employee hours. Employees clock in and out using Google, iOS, and Android apps or directly from their browsers.
Buddy Punch best features
- GPS time-tracking function lets you view who’s working and where they’re at; you can also limit where they can punch in and out from for accurate mobile time tracking
- The app has integrations with payroll tools like QuickBooks, SurePayroll, Excel, ADP, and Gusto
- Advanced features like paid time off accrual tracking, automatic breaks, job codes, and availability management make navigating the construction industry easier
- Custom notifications and approval requests can be created each time a team member punches in or out using the construction time clock
Buddy Punch limitations
- There is no free plan, and the standard plan doesn’t allow time scheduling
- Some reviews mention issues updating and scanning time cards
Buddy Punch pricing
- Standard: $2.99/month per user plus a $19 base fee per month
- Pro: $3.99/month per user plus a $19 base fee per month
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Buddy Punch ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (200+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (800+ reviews)
Connecteam is a contractor and construction timesheet app that allows managers to increase productivity and track work hours. Prevent time theft and improve billing accuracy with GPS tracking features and automated employee check-ins that streamline multi-team workforce management.
The Connecteam “Operations” plan simplifies employee scheduling, task management, and shift assignments. Access advanced features like mobile-first forms, custom checklists, and shift reports to increase productivity and save time for managers and team members.
Connecteam best features
- Employee time clock automatically updates online timesheets to ensure accuracy and keep everyone up to date
- Assign shifts in one click and get a top-down view of shift-related tasks to simplify team management
- Digital forms, checklists, timesheets, and payroll logs are available on a mobile interface that managers can access at the job site
- Let your team clock in and out using the mobile app or an on-site kiosk app, and get real-time notifications for each check-in 🤩
- Communication and HR features require separate paid plans in addition to the Operations plan that includes access to the construction timesheet software
- Time clock with GPS locations (not updated in real-time) is restricted to paid Operations plans; Live GPS location tracking and geofencing is limited to the most expensive Operations plan
- The Small Business Plan: Free
- Operations Basic: $29/month for the first 30 users
- Operations Advanced: $49/month for the first 30 users
- Operations Expert: $99/month for the first 30 users
Connecteam ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (250+ reviews)
Insightful is a workforce analytics app for employee productivity monitoring and remote team management. While it isn’t a dedicated construction time clock app, it has several comprehensive features and a lightweight interface for on-the-go teams.
Check analytics based on your team members’ productivity and simplify compliance with top-tier security and privacy features. Insightful inspires productivity, improves workflows, balances workloads, and automates time tracking.
Insightful best features
- A top-down view of all team members and the hours they’ve worked for the day allows managers to compare productivity
- App and website analytics give managers insights into what employees are accessing while they’re on the clock
- You can track progress toward each milestone and deadline to ensure the entire project stays on schedule
- Automatic check-ins minimize human error and the risk of time theft
- No free plan, and some customers report that the free seven-day trial wasn’t enough time to get a feel for the app
- Some reviews mention inconsistent time tracking and loss of employee time data
- Employee Monitoring: $6.40/month per user
- Time Tracking: $10/month per user
- Automatic Time Mapping: $19/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Insightful ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (90+ reviews)
Raken is a field management app that allows you to collect accurate, real-time project data and translate it into digital documentation. Get insights to help reduce costs, improve productivity for field crews, and make remote collaboration easy.
Since Raken is a dedicated construction timesheet software tool, project managers can access features like offline mode designed for on-site use. It’s ideal for contractors and construction workers needing features for tracking time or even a pay period.
Raken best features
- Contractors and employees can upload time-stamped videos, photos, and notes to the office’s web app for thorough documentation
- Offline mode and automatic syncing allow team members to use Raken to track time when they’re outside service areas
- Daily reports and productivity tracking enable team managers to address productivity concerns before they become issues
- Customizable checklists and toolbox features help keep managers and team members on the same page
- Some reviews mention difficulty creating daily reports and navigating the app interface for project tracking
- No visible pricing information on Raken’s website or popular review sites like G2 and Capterra
- Customers must complete a questionnaire and request a price quote based on their business information
Raken ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (60+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (150+ reviews)
ExakTime is a cloud-based time-tracking software for construction project managers and field crews. Create detailed reports of employee productivity using the digital time clock data, and fill out timesheets online so you can focus more on your business.
Your team members can use ExakTime to clock in and out with the click of a button. Once they’ve clocked in, project managers can use location tracking to see real-time GPS updates. 🗺️
Construction companies will enjoy the onsite job tracking capabilities—making it easier on you field operators or construction workers.
ExakTime best features
- Convenient and wireless JobClock designed to withstand weather and harsh environments in the field for phone-free time tracking
- Photo ID capture ensures security with quick and easy identity verification
- GPS tracking feature shows location-based information on timesheets to improve accuracy and cost management
- Integration and syncing with popular payroll apps like QuickBooks and Sage
- Some customer reviews report extensive manual input required for each timesheet
- No free version and plan pricing may be too expensive for small operations
- Advanced: $9/month per employee plus a $50 base fee per month
- Premium: Contact for pricing
- Elite: Contact for pricing
ExakTime ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4/5 (150+ reviews)
Clockify is a time-tracking app designed for multiple projects and teams. Time tracking, employee kiosk pins, and project templates are available on the free plan, designed for unlimited users and businesses of all sizes. 🤑
Use Clockify to gather data, examine employee performance, and generate custom reports. Paid users can also set hourly rates, allocate tasks based on availability, track labor costs, and analyze their budget.
The construction timesheet software is a great option for all types of businesses working in the field or onsite.
Clockify best features
- The convenient kiosk allows employees to clock in and out on a shared device using pin codes for identification
- Timesheets enable project managers and contractors to view and edit weekly activities with check-ins at different job sites or locations
- Calendar lets employees see when they’re working, where they’re supposed to be, and update any days off or vacations
- Auto tracker logs the amount of time employees spend using apps and websites when they’re on the clock, helping track billable and non-billable hours (i.e. client billing)
- Some reviews mentioned difficulty editing timesheets in the event of user error
- GPS time tracking system, is unavailable on the Basic and Standard plans
- Basic: $3.99/month per user
- Standard: $6.99/month per user
- Pro: $9.99/month per user
- Enterprise: $11.99/month per user
Clockify ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (4,600+ reviews)
Hubstaff is a time-tracking and employee-monitoring tool for employees and freelancers. It has features like location monitoring and automatic payroll that work well for field teams.
Track time your way, manage invoicing, and see who’s doing what in real time to make sure projects are completed on time, every time. Hubstaff can also automate payroll, invoicing, and scheduling so you can spend less time with the small stuff and more time on the job site.
Hubstaff best features
- It integrates with 30+ apps, including PayPal, Slack, Asana, and Jira
- Geofencing features allow team members to start and stop time tracking based on location
- Automatic payments can be sent to contractors and employees based on custom work hours and pay rates
- The calendar feature lets you set up recurring and one-time shifts for different projects, track time-off requests, and customize company policies
- Some reviews report inaccurate productivity tracking
- There’s no free plan and two-user minimum for paid plans
- Starter: $4.99/month per user
- Grow: $9/month per user
- Team: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Hubstaff ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (400+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1,400+ reviews)
Jibble is a time-tracking software designed to record when your staff is on-site or at work for accurate payroll and attendance. The free plan allows access to many of the program’s advanced features, and the lightweight interface is simple to navigate.
You can generate automated timesheets, review company-wide reports, and clock in with biometric recognition. Since it’s designed with construction and field employees in mind, Jibble has several functions that make life easier.
Jibble best features
- Easy-to-navigate interface allows employees to clock in and out quickly without a learning curve
- Employee GPS tracking and facial recognition features are available on free plans with unlimited users, which is perfect for small businesses
- Integration with popular tools like MS Teams and Slack allows for quick team communication
- The timesheet app lets you monitor and analyze employee productivity on-site using a mobile, tablet, or desktop device
- Some user reviews mention employees not being able to regularly clock in and out due to software bugs and crashing
- Employees may struggle to add projects and project activities due to a lack of dropdown menus, according to some reviews
- Premium: $2.49/month per user
- Ultimate: $7.99/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Jibble ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (600+ reviews)
ClockShark is a cloud-based construction time-tracking software that simplifies accurate payroll and job costing. Track time, see who’s working, manage separate jobs, and schedule shifts with the click of a button to keep everyone on the same page.
ClockShark features GPS time-tracking features with tools that allow convenient scheduling so you can focus on getting every job done right. It’s built with construction and field workers in mind, so every feature is designed for your industry. 🏗️
ClockShark best features
- Team members can submit hours from the job site for accurate labor costs and timesheets
- You can set up a smartphone or tablet on-site to serve as a time clock kiosk without the need for additional equipment or multiple devices
- The app reminds employees to clock in and out when they enter and leave using geofences around job sites
- Integrations with QuickBooks, Sage, and other accounting tools make it simple to use timesheets for accurate payroll processing
- User reviews mention difficulty adjusting pay rate between tasks on a single project
- The GPS function can be disabled by the user, which may make it difficult for managers to accurately track their staff according to reviews
- Standard: $20/month base fee plus $8/month per user
- Pro: $40/month base fee plus $10/month per user
ClockShark ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (250+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,800+ reviews)
Streamline Your Time Tracking and Projects
Construction time-tracking software is a must for any business that manages field employees and contractors. These apps offer cutting-edge features, such as real-time progress tracking, GPS location monitoring, and simple ways to clock in and out. They’ll help streamline your workflow, accurately track billable hours, and keep projects on time and within budget. 🙌
Ready to embrace tech-driven time management and improved communication with your team members? Sign up for ClickUp today—it’s free!