Running an effective marketing organization is no easy feat in today’s digital world. There are more channels, campaign types, and data sources than ever before.
As a marketer, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed with how to organize it all… and even harder to pay attention and prioritize what matters.
The good news is that your team, channels, and all of those initiatives don’t have to live in walled-off marketing apps or spreadsheets anymore (and if they do, it’s time to make a change)!
ClickUp is a solution born out of that exact necessity: the need for a single source of truth where you can organize your team, collaborate together, and track progress toward marketing goals big and small.
Nowhere does this apply more than our internal marketing team here at ClickUp, where the platform itself has long become the foundation for managing and growing a highly-effective marketing organization.
In this article, we’ll walk through how our very own marketing team uses ClickUp every day to stay organized, move fast, and break things.
Hear from each team member on how they use ClickUp to meet their unique needs, from content and social media to paid advertising and beyond.
Each member of our team will also show their three favorite features they use daily — so you can start replicating them in your own marketing workflows.
Let’s get started!
1. Organizing Our Team With a Scaleable Hierarchy
Our marketing team was only two people a year ago.
Now, our team is 20+ strong, each role with its unique set of needs and workflows.
As we’ve scaled in size and scope of work, it’s become more important than ever for us to stay organized so we can scale and pivot marketing operations to align with company-wide business goals.
We do it all with ClickUp’s unique Hierarchy, which makes organizing a team super simple and provides the flexibility to expand operations as your team grows!
ClickUp’s Hierarchy structures everything we do as a Marketing team.
It provides us with:
- Total transparency across the team and sub-departments within the team (no more “who’s doing what?” conversations)
- A flexible organization of Spaces, Folders, and Lists that house every initiative and can expand (or contract) based on changing needs
- An Everything view which is basically God mode for seeing everything regardless of where it lives and can be filtered by dates, assignees, custom fields, and more
Hasn’t your Hierarchy grown more complex over the last year?
You bet it has.
Today, we have 7-figure ad budgets and over 10+ sub-departments running at 100% all at once. And we haven’t lost one iota of control. Everything has a dedicated location inside our Marketing Space, where we can get granular from the top-down with views – our next chapter.
2. Viewing All Our Marketing Work In One Place
With our team organized under a clear Hierarchy, we now have the ability to see everything that’s being worked on past, present, and future using 10+ customizable views.
Every view brings a unique way for the team to tackle their marketing work.
- See all of our tasks and ideas at a glance in List view, using tasks to catalog everything from social media posts to ad campaigns
- Coordinate big, cross-team projects and timelines in Gantt view
- Manage team resources and work capacity with Workload and Box views
- Drag and drop schedule content or launches in Calendar view
- Track workflows for tasks and ideas, from conception to delivery, in Board view
- Map out and draw relationships between complex ideas (such as SEO keyword research) with Mind Maps
- …and much more
Sometimes you need a bird’s eye view to see everything the team is doing in a day, week, or month.
Other times you might want to get more granular to learn how a specific task or idea is progressing with your team.
3. Setting, Tracking, and Achieving Marketing Goals
Everything we do as a marketing team has a purpose that’s connected to our goals.
Goals act as our North star; they help us focus on the prize, prioritize our work, and hold ourselves accountable.
In ClickUp, there’s a feature for this, and (surprise) it’s called Goals!
We set weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals, both department-wide and for individual team members.
We have the power to track the progress of these goals by setting Targets. These can be tied to task completion, numerical values, money, or simple true/false fields. The best part is that if your Goals are tied to tasks, ClickUp updates your progress automatically!
We review our weekly Goals as a team each Monday morning and then set goals for the next week on Sunday — that way we’re constantly progressing as a team. It helps us stay accountable and visualize what we’re working towards.
4. Managing Marketing Channels and Campaigns
Here comes the fun part: how each of us uses ClickUp to plan, track, and manage our marketing channels and daily workflows for specific use cases!
ClickUp for Content Management
We grew ClickUp on the back of thoughtful organic content that answers important questions and builds our brand’s solution at the same time.
Blogs, website landing pages, and support documents have all been crucial to expanding our organic footprint and connecting with people that are searching for solutions.
“Before ClickUp, it could be challenging to find the latest email thread with the most up-to-date copy or finalized design. Slack conversations are great for initial ideas, but digging through threads and setting reminders for yourself can only go so far,” explains Erica.
“Now that I use ClickUp every day to manage and track content, it’s easy to bring people in for project collaboration and have all the information in one handy place.”
All of our website content is planned, tracked, and managed right in ClickUp.
We’re able to organize everything using a variety of views:
- Blogs, landing pages, and email campaigns (existing and planned) with List view
- Pipeline for content creation with Board view
- Scheduled outreach and content publishing with Calendar view
- Quick data entry and monitoring Custom Field items (such as links to published webpages or third-party tools) with Table view
When we want to go deeper, we can simply click on any task to see:
- Its status
- Who’s working on it
- Start and Due dates
- Related tasks, Docs, and attachments
- Comments and any team activity related to the task
As you can tell by now, we use tasks for more than just tasks.
With ClickUp, you can use tasks as a running inventory of your blog posts, landing pages, and anything else (sky’s the limit here).
We’re also able to use those tasks as contextual conversations around something very specific, so we never have to look for Slack or email conversations to see where things stand with a particular content item or campaign.
“Content is… everything! When it comes to managing the emails, landing pages, blogs, videos, designs, etc. it’s much more efficient to do it all from one place,” says Erica.
“Many pieces of content overlap and ClickUp allows me to quickly jump around to reference other tasks as our team works to create the best content possible. Ideas are easily stored in a List, creative briefs are outlined in Docs, and progress is tracked in a Dashboard. ClickUp is a one-stop-shop for Content Management.”
Erica’s top three ClickUp features for Content Management:
- “The collaborative ability of ClickUp Docs makes it easy to draft a blog, outline a landing page, create email variations, and more!”
- “I live and breathe out of Home — with so many initiatives going on at the same time, I simply slap a start and due date to the task so I can easily keep track of everything that needs my attention and when. I can even toss a Reminder into Home for those fleeting thoughts so I never forget again!”
- “ClickUp has incredible commenting abilities, but sometimes those comments require action from another person. Assigned Comments make it clear that work still needed doesn’t slip through the cracks and they’re easy to reference back to if a task is getting held up.”
ClickUp for SEO Management
What good is your content if people can’t find it?Our SEO strategy helps guide all the organic content we create and that strategy starts in ClickUp.
Jeremy, like other SEOs, relies on advanced tools to conduct keyword and competitor research, map out content campaigns, and track the performance of those campaigns over time.
While some of those tools live outside of ClickUp, he can still embed the important data from those tools (such as keyword lists or Analytics reports) directly into ClickUp with Embed view.
When it comes to organizing keyword clusters and reviewing with the rest of the team, Jeremy can give a visual outline of how each keyword cluster relates and links to one another with Mind Maps.
Another important part of SEO is managing relationships with third-party publishers and websites to create quality backlinks to your content.
Managing these relationships is infinitely easier in ClickUp, as Jeremy created his own CRM for quick data entry and analysis using Table view.
Jeremy’s top three ClickUp features for SEO Management:
- “Recurring tasks aren’t revolutionary but can be a huge time saver! There are plenty of habitual day-to-day actions that can benefit from the custom recurring features in ClickUp. I have daily tasks for clearing my email and checking my Feedly account for digital marketing news. I also have weekly tasks for technical auditing and diving into all organic search data.”
- “Embed view is underrated. I can bring Google Sheets, Miro whiteboards, or even Google Data Studio reports directly into ClickUp. This helps cut down my open Chrome tabs (I still have too many 😏 ) and provides clearer visibility of my work for the rest of the team.”
- “Task dependencies can be super helpful for optimizing your workflow. For example, we can optimize content for SEO during the creation process but can’t add internal links pointing to that post until it goes live. Rather than constantly checking the content schedule, I can use a blocking dependency in combination with an Automation to assign a task for internal links when the article is published. There are endless use cases for this!”
ClickUp for Paid Media Management
As we’ve grown, we’ve also expanded our ad budgets. How do you manage and efficiently scale campaigns across Google, Facebook, and other ad networks all in one place?
That’s a question that only our Paid Media Manager, Soala Bell-Gram, can answer:
Operating across multiple paid channels presents a lot of headaches for marketers — campaign management and data is often in many places at once. Keeping an eye on performance becomes even more important when you literally have millions of dollars on the line.
With ClickUp, we’re able to bring all of those campaigns from third-party tools into a single place for easier viewing and management.
“ClickUp helps solve a lot of pain-points for media buyers by using fully standardized templates for building and launching all paid marketing efforts in a way that is very collaborative,” says Soala.
Soala organizes all of his campaigns by bringing them into a Table view, each with its own Custom Fields for links to the relevant ad platform, data sheets, and more.
Then, he can dive deeper by pulling up the task for a specific Google or Facebook ad, each with its own set of subtasks relevant to that ad’s workflow.
“Most of the time, the ad creation and reporting process can be quite cumbersome, especially when you have to document or use a checklist every time; but, ClickUp’s customizable templates help you streamline that process without creating more work or spending more time and ultimately helps you stay more organized.”
The ad lifecycle is also another challenge solved by ClickUp: Soala can coordinate the copywriting, design phase, and deployment of every ad with Custom Status workflows.
Now, let’s look at testing. Every paid ad manager worth their salt knows that testing is key to improving ad performance over time. Soala is able to plan and track all of his tests right within ClickUp using a List made for testing Google and Facebook campaigns.
“When ads are live, accurate reporting plays such a big part in understanding & measuring success. With ClickUp, you can create native reports within the platform or embed reports from google sheets into your ClickUp account directly so you never have to create unnecessary tabs that add up quite fast.”
Soala’s top three ClickUp features for Paid Media Management:
- “Embed view allows me to bring all of my advertising reports directly into ClickUp so I don’t have to constantly switch from website to website.”
- “Table view is a godsend for making quick data entry and seeing campaigns at a glance. It’s like an Excel sheet but offers more functionality and is nicer to look at.”
- “Task relationships are crucial for navigating to relevant tasks and also creating a clear order of operations for each campaign, from concept and production to wrapping up the results and sharing with the team.”
ClickUp for Social Media Management
Social media management is no easy task when you’re managing posts (and community outreach) across Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Reddit, and Twitter — all at once.
Manually checking every platform for every post is a headache for most social media marketers. Thankfully, you can bring everything into a single field of view with ClickUp to make management easier and save time.
Our team is able to bring every post, every social media asset, into a single place with ClickUp.
Posts are laid out in List view, segmented based on channel, then pulled into Calendar view for a visual summary of what’s scheduled. This way, Aubrey always knows exactly what has been scheduled, what still needs to go live, and what’s already been posted across our social profiles.
What’s more, Aubrey can also track important community outreach initiatives with Partnership, Sponsorship, and Influencer Lists! Custom Fields help with maintaining the status of partner relationships—and with our new email feature, Aubrey can send and receive messages from ClickUp partners directly from within her tasks!
We can also collect important social mentions (both positive and negative), and house them in a task view that makes addressing all feedback and managing community sentiment much easier than using a million spreadsheets.
“Now knowing firsthand how ClickUp helps automate and coordinate our social media endeavors on a daily basis, I simply can’t imagine an alternative workflow outside of the platform,” says Aubrey.
“When all relevant social media features are set up and firing on all cylinders within a Workspace, it’s a truly seamless experience!”
Aubrey’s top three ClickUp features for Social Media Management:
- “Calendar View is the ultimate power feature for social media managers. Since there’s so much granular customizability available within ClickUp, this is no ordinary social calendar—every last element of a post (visuals, drafts, links, docs, etc.) can exist within scheduled tasks to provide total transparency and collaborative communication across the entire team!”
- “Custom Fields are important for preserving relationships with every partner, sponsor, and influencer on our community Lists. Detailed information (such as contact names, start dates, email threads, and communication statuses) ensure that our outreach and relationship-fostering efforts are always on point.”
- “Email in ClickUp is amazing! The ability to send an email to a social influencer or potential partner directly from within a task (that already houses all of their details!) is absolutely invaluable. This feature literally keeps all important information in ONE place, and has been a total game-changer.”
Last but not least, is the creative part of our team that’s responsible for making all of the beautiful videos and visuals for everything — from the GIFs on our landing pages to the slick videos in our YouTube and Facebook ads.
With ClickUp’s views, Isaac can get a high-level view of where all of his work stands for each creative project at any time.
Isaac can also monitor the workflow for each creative project he’s working, such as a video shoot or animation, with Board view. Each Board view is customized for the specific design process for each asset with Custom Statuses, that he knows exactly where things stand in the creative process.
When Isaac needs more info for a specific creative asset, he simply clicks into the task and can see where everything stands with that creative task: its status, what’s coming next, and any related file attachments.
ClickUp Comments and tags make it easy to fast-track requests and approvals for every design need.
“Once a design is ready for review, I can simply tag our director for final approval via Comments. Once he receives approval, he tags whichever team is responsible for deploying the asset!”
Isaac’s top three ClickUp features for Creative Management:
- “Docs are an essential tool for me to draft up treatments and scripts for video projects. Using their collaboration and commenting features, I can get specific feedback on the areas that need to be tweaked without having to send endless correspondence back and forth! And since they’re native within ClickUp, Docs can live directly within the task of the video I’m working on!”
- “Task Templates: a lot of video projects I work on are repetitive; meaning they follow a similar process from video to video, and get reviewed by the same people. Task Templates allow me to save what the subtasks within the video task are, and also include the necessary people involved in the process as Watchers. So whenever I’m starting a new video in the series, I can quickly apply the Task Template, and know that all the subtasks and people that I’ll need on the task will be there.”
- “Notifications. Everybody uses notifications to keep up with what’s going on, but Notifications in ClickUp do a lot more for me than just tell me what happened. Within notifications, I can react to comments, reply, attach files, download files, access links, and so much more, without having to go into individual tasks. Having so much access to different tasks in one place allows me to quickly respond to the smaller things and identify the bigger stuff that needs more attention!”
5. Other Features We Use on the Daily
Now that we’ve touched on how different departments within our Marketing team use ClickUp and their favorite features, here’s a roundup of a few runner-ups that we all use on the regular.
We use Dashboards every week to pull data from projects, tasks, and wider initiatives to understand how we’re tracking as a team. We use widgets for Time Tracking, Workload, Notifications, and more to see everyone’s workload for the week.
This helps us understand who has too much on their plate and who might need help catching up!
Every one of us has more than we could possibly do in a single day so time management is key!
We use Time Tracking in two different ways. One, for tracking time for new types of tasks to create a benchmark for resources we need to dedicate for that type of task. We also use Time Tracking to create billable reports for third-party contractors.
Time Estimates are also a useful way to set benchmarks for tasks that we assign ourselves or others each week. They act as a transparent way to gauge the time resources we expect that task to take. We then use these estimates to see if we’re under or over capacity each week with our Workload view!
6. ClickUp = One Place For All Your Marketing
By now, you’re probably realizing that there are limitless possibilities when it comes to customizing ClickUp for marketing. That’s because there are!
With our development team launching new features every week, we’re still finding new ways to make all of ClickUp’s awesome features make us even more effective as a marketing team.
Our Marketing Workspace is never really “done.” Like a true marketing team, we’re constantly growing and adapting our approach to what works best.
Now it’s your turn!
How will you use ClickUp to level up your marketing team?