Accounting is complicated enough, why not lean on tools designed to lighten the load?
Accounting project management software is a must-have resource for front and back-office procedures—especially for independent accountants, operation managers, and consultants.
These tools help accountants calculate and share accurate invoices, track billable time, streamline personal workflows, and communicate with clients. The success of your accounting project management software has everything to do with your bottom line, so you want to make sure the tool you choose is flexible, easy to use, and accessible to internal and external stakeholders.
With so much pressure riding on picking the perfect software, it’s important to do your research before investing in the next accounting project management tool to pop up in your search results. But luckily for you, you’ve come to the right place!
We’ve researched and tested the top accounting project management tool to create this list of our 10 favorites. Find key feature breakdowns, drawbacks, pricing information, ratings, and more!
What is Accounting Project Management Software?
Accounting project management software helps accountants oversee their workflows, manage client relationships, track billable time, issue invoices, and stay on top of key action items—it’s no small feat!
Think of this tool as a combination of accounting project management and CRM tools. In true accounting fashion, it’s vital that your accounting project management software support multiple views to create spreadsheets, tables, and databases for budget, client, and task management. The best tools are also easily accessed by stakeholders and customers to approve or view upcoming invoices.
Productivity features like time tracking, multiple assignees, assigned comments, and workflow automation are major assets in accounting project management software, as these features help accountants streamline processes, improve collaboration, and ultimately, increase profitability.
The best accounting project management software will also integrate with tons of other work tools to bring more information into your platform and stay updated at all times.
10 Accounting Project Management Software
Even with this knowledge in mind, it can be hard to choose the best accounting project management software due to the number of tools on the market alone!
Budget, team size, industry, and work style all play significant roles in guiding you to the best software for your needs. The challenge is, that the personal trial and error process can be time-consuming and ultimately unproductive if you don’t have a constructive starting point.
And that’s why you have us!
Use this detailed list to kickstart your software search. We’ve compiled a list of the 10 best accounting project management tools for any team, including thorough comparisons, drawbacks, pricing, reviews, and more.
ClickUp is an all-in-one productivity platform with hundreds of visualization tools to automate routine tasks and centralize communication from a single workspace. Whether you’re managing a large firm or a small team, ClickUp makes your project management processes easier. With features like automation and project time tracking, you can keep track of tasks as they move through the workflow. 🧑💻
For larger firms, ClickUp’s efficient and effective workflow management tools can make it simpler to keep everyone on the same page with monthly goals and financial KPIs. Set up lightning-fast spreadsheets in Table view, create high-level client and project dashboards, and get time-saving reports about where everyone’s time is going. Let ClickUp do the heavy lifting so you can focus on what matters most: Growing your business and serving your clients better!
ClickUp best features
- Over 1,000 integrations with other work tools, including Zoom, Slack, Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, and more
- Add time estimates that you can split between the team to forecast your workload
- Custom statuses and project Milestones to convey progress updates at a glance
- Record time from any browser window with the ClickUp Chrome Extension
- Build custom timesheets, reports, and insights with time-tracking widgets
- Forms to instantly create actionable tasks out of bug submissions
- Automatically calculate billable time for accuracy across all invoices
- Automated formulas to accurately calculate your billable time
- 50+ Task Automations to streamline any workflow
- Not all views are available in the mobile app—yet
- Its rich set of features can create a learning curve for some users
- Free Forever Plan
- Unlimited Plan: $5/month per member
- Business Plan: $12/month per member
- Business Plus Plan: $19/month per member
- Enterprise Plan: Contact Sales for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,500+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (5,400+reviews)
2. Jetpack Workflow
Accounting managers know that staying organized and on top of day-to-day tasks is critical to running a successful business. But all too often, managing clients’ financials can be overwhelming and tedious. Jetpack Workflow simplifies the accounting process from start to finish.
With its easy-to-use graphical interface, real-time task visibility, assigning deadlines, automating approvals, and sending invoices are made easy. Plus, it integrates with your existing accounting software like QuickBooks and Xero, so you don’t have to learn how to use a new system. And because Jetpack Workflow helps you stay on top of tasks faster, you can reduce delays and errors in billing.
Jetpack Workflow best features
- Custom scheduling functionality to automate deadlines
- Client project views with filter, sort, and search
- My Work page to view workload capacities
- 2,000+ apps using Zapier integration
- Billing sync with QuickbooksOnline
- Unlimited clients and docs
- 70 workflow templates
Jetpack Workflow limitations
In the search function, if you’re not careful you’ll enter info on the wrong client. The search box (until clicked) will show one client name and lower data entry screen will still be on the previous. —Capterra review
I wish you could tag a client with a label in their file like we can with templates. Also, would like to see a password protected area to keep client sensitive data like username and passwords for their accounts that even JetPack employees would not have access to for security reasons. —Capterra review
Jetpack Workflow pricing
- Organize: $36/month per user, billed annually
- Scale: $39/month per user, billed annually
Jetpack Workflow ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (50+ reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (10+ reviews)
QuickBooks is an accounting software product for tax professionals to streamline bookkeeping and payroll processes. It helps simplify the way businesses manage their finances and make informed decisions. With QuickBooks, all your financial data is stored in one place, which makes it easy to access and analyze information quickly.
You can even use it to track daily sales, generate invoices, and manage accounts receivable. Additionally, QuickBooks provides helpful features such as tracking bill payments due, setting up payment plans, and creating accurate financial reports.
QuickBooks best features
- Income tracking and auto-sort expenses
- Business miles auto-tracking
- 1099 contractors management
- Professional invoice generator
- Job costing analytics
- Mobile app
- General ledgers
- Receipt capture
Often lots of errors and hassle when trying to perform some activities. To reach support is complicated. Subscription price is expensive and not flexible (for instance, once you enroll to higher plan and activate some features, you cannot downgrade your plan any longer).—G2 review
I feel that the reporting features could be more robust. Additionally, I think the accountant-user side has some features that are lacking from a business-owner perspective. It also happens to be the mostly costly option on the market. —Capterra review
- Simple Start: $30/month
- Essentials: $55/month
- Plus: $85/month
- Advanced: $200/month
QuickBooks ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (5,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4/5 (2,000+ reviews)
OfficeTools is a practice management software designed for small to mid-sized accounting teams. It helps teams organize clients and their accounting information. With OfficeTools, you can easily create invoices, track time and project progress, and ensure accurate financial reporting—all while automating most of your daily project management tasks.
This accounting solution tool also makes it easier to collaborate with your team members with financial document storage in one secure location. This way, you can quickly review key documents without having to search through multiple folders. Plus, it eliminates manual data entry, so you can spend more time on higher-value activities such as consulting or providing strategic advice.
OfficeTools best features
- Credit card payment processing and ACH transactions through OfficeTools Cloud
- Built-in machine learning to automatically tag and categorize documents
- Project tracking functionality
- Microsoft Exchange integration
- Client billing status and rates
- Day, week, and month calendar views
- Unlimited contacts
The biggest challenge for our organization is that some of the functionalities built into office tools are not compatible with the major vendors requiring our staff to learn new shortcuts.—G2 review
This software is constantly freezing and giving error messages.—Capterra review
- Starts at $49/user per month
OfficeTools ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (100+ reviews)
- G2: 3.7/5 (80+ reviews)
5. Microsoft To Do
Microsoft To Do is a task management tool designed to make it easy for a growing accounting firm to stay organized and on top of work. With its streamlined features and intuitive design, users can add tasks, set due dates, attach files, and access their information from anywhere.
The application provides powerful search capabilities for quickly locating important data, allowing accountants to focus on what’s important and get more done. It also syncs seamlessly with other Microsoft applications like Outlook and Office 365, creating a single workspace that efficiently streamlines accountants’ daily workflow.
Discover free project management software to help manage virtual teams!
Microsoft To Do best features
- Reminders and due dates in daily checklists
- iPhone, Android, Windows, and web apps
- Smart daily planner
- Outlook Tasks integration
- Quick access sidebar
- Custom backgrounds
- To do list sharing
Microsoft To Do limitations
Not being able to move items from one list to another is a real headscratcher for me. And also, there should be a settings option one could check to automate moving uncompleted tasks to subsequent days.—Capterra review
Some versions allow for categories, but not all, which I would prefer. While this is certainly not a deal-breaker for me, it does leave me wishing that I could rely on setting categories to further organize and view my tasks across devices.—Capterra review
Microsoft To Do pricing
- Microsoft To Do is free with a Microsoft account
Microsoft To Do ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (40+ reviews)
6. Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet-based project management tool designed to help accountants create and present financial reports. It allows users to create spreadsheets that contain data, formulas, visualizations, macros, analysis tools, and more.
With Excel, accountants can quickly and accurately generate complex reports in a way that’s both easy to understand and aesthetically pleasing. Excel provides accountants with an efficient and cost-effective way to make sense of financial reports and streamline their workflow.
Microsoft Excel best features
- Tables to connect to data from Power BI (Business Intelligence)
- Formatting, sparklines, and tables to create visual content
- Integrations with other Microsoft 365 products
- Real-time collaboration within spreadsheets
- Formulas to perform calculations
- Mobile, desktop, and online apps
- Template library
Microsoft Excel limitations
Switching between Excel and its versions is often incompatible.—Capterra review
Microsoft Excel can sometimes be difficult to use due to the lack of detailed instructions and tutorials for some of its features. More transparent explanations would help me better understand this program’s full capabilities.—G2 review
Microsoft Excel pricing
- Microsoft Excel is available as a standalone version for $159.99 or with a Microsoft 365 subscription
Microsoft Excel ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (18,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
7. Xero Practice Manager
Xero Practice Manager is an accounting practice management software designed to help tax and accounting firms better manage their client relationships and finances. It streamlines processes such as bookkeeping, invoicing, and financial reporting, giving accountants the ability to provide better services to their clients while boosting their firm’s productivity.
With its user-friendly design, Xero Practice Manager makes it easy for the team to improve efficiency and profitability. By eliminating tedious manual data entry, they can concentrate on providing the best advice and guidance to their clients, leading to stronger client interactions.
Xero Practice Manager best features
- Suggested matches to categorize and reconcile bank account transactions
- Expense management tools to submit or reimburse expense claims
- Integration with Xero’s practice management software
- Customizable templates and sample reports
- Inventory tools to populate invoices and orders
- Task and file management
- Time tracking
Xero Practice Manager limitations
One downside to Xero is that it can be a bit pricey for small businesses. It also lacks some more advanced features that more expensive accounting software offers. —Capterra review
Something I dislike with Xero Practice Manager would be that the interface looks kind of old-fashioned. Well it is easy to use but I hope the design could be improved in the near future. Hoping there would also be a filter option when searching for entities that have a certain characteristic.—G2 review
Xero Practice Manager pricing
- Early: $13/month
- Growing: $37/month
- Established: $70/month
Xero Practice Manager ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (20+ reviews)
TaxWorkFlow is a workflow accounting system designed to help accountants quickly and easily prepare tax returns. The platform makes it easy to organize documents and capture information. TaxWorkFlow eliminates time-consuming tasks such as manual data entry, enabling accountants to deliver accurate tax returns faster than ever before.
By using TaxWorkFlow, accountants can quickly create accurate tax calculations, produce accurate forms and generate reports in a fraction of the time it traditionally takes, allowing them to more easily serve their clients and optimize their profits.
TaxWorkFlow best features
- Cloud or in-house data storage for document management
- Onboarding email invitations for new staff with instructions
- Native or custom filters to instantly access key information
- Calendar view to arrange client appointments
- Document and client management systems
- Time and billing overview
- Native Windows application
- The interface is outdated compared to other accounting project management software
- No monthly pricing plans
- Contact TaxWorkFlow for pricing plan details
TaxWorkFlow ratings and reviews
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: N/A
Karbon is an accounting project management software designed to help growing businesses and accounting firms better collaborate, bring clients and systems together, and coordinate their data in one place. It streamlines communication, simplifies project management, and offers integrated solutions that effortlessly integrate with existing systems.
The collaborative project management platform provides secure, cloud-based storage and access control features that make it easy to keep everyone’s data secure and up-to-date. With its intuitive design and capacity dashboards, Karbon makes it simple to gain insights into your organization’s performance and quickly respond to rapid changes.
Karbon best features
- Bulk uploads and downloads to work items or contacts
- Client management and onboarding templates
- Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive integrations
- Work Scheduler for resource management
- Kanban boards and activity timelines
- Client tasks and auto reminders
Making bulk changes to work or teams or general setup is not efficient or fully available to admin users. I understand why but there are some times when this is a roadblock. If there were more levels of permissions for users maybe the ability to make more extensive changes more efficiently could be added to the team members with higher accessibility.—G2 review
On My Week, I can’t assign some tasks/work for today. Sometimes I can find my self scrolling down my week to search what I still need to complete today. Moving it to Working On Now is also not the best because I’m working on a lot of projects everyday.—G2 review
- Team: $59/month per user, billed annually
- Business: $79/month per user, billed annually
- Enterprise: Contact Karbon for pricing
Karbon ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (100+ reviews)
- G2: 4.8/5 (300+ reviews)
Canopy is a cloud-based project management software designed for accountants to stay organized and maximize their time. It takes care of the tedious paperwork associated with managing clients, automates repetitive tasks, and provides a single view of all client records.
The platform also provides real-time insights into the performance of both individual clients and the firm as a whole, which can be used to make more informed decisions and identify areas for improvement. With Canopy, accounting firms are better equipped to get ahead of their client work.
Canopy best features
- Calendar sync with Microsoft and Google
- One-time, recurring, and scheduled invoices
- Global Inbox to view and manage email
- Prebuilt forms for client requests
- In-app merchant onboarding
- Bulk action tool
- Saved filters
They have a few drawbacks such as the inability to send text messages (we use a third party system), lack of complex reporting (though easily created on the users end by CSV export and a little Excel wizardry), and a few other minor gruffs, but Canopy does have these on their radar (go check out the forums!) and is working on building these in over time.—Capterra review
The only thing I dislike about Canopy is that I do not have the option to change the color themes of the programming. I think I would enjoy Canopy even more if I was able to brand Canopy to the colors of our business. I think Canopy could have some more design features added in.—G2 review
- Canopy offers a free plan for up to 500 contacts with optional add-on packages
Canopy ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (200+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (220+ reviews)
You Can Always Account on ClickUp
A lot goes into effective accounting project management software, that’s why it’s critical to find a tool that is as flexible as it is powerful!
ClickUp is the only productivity tool that can centralize your work across apps and scale with you as you grow. Its dynamic Table view allows you to create intuitive and detailed databases with ease and efficiency to manage tasks, invoices, and customers—all from the same workspace.
Plus, it can do it all on every pricing plan.
No matter the size of your team or budget, ClickUp has every feature needed to streamline your accounting project and improve customer relationships from the jump.
So what are you waiting for? Try ClickUp today. 📈