With the number of time-saving tips, tools, and techniques within our reach, losing track of time isn’t really an excuse anymore. 😳
Your calendar might even be time-blocked down to the second as we speak!
Still, it’s hard to know where our time goes in the day, and sometimes finding proof of work for every minute spent on the clock just isn’t possible! We get it. 🏼
Time management software like Hubstaff aims to remedy this problem.
With features to oversee your workforce, track time across devices, and automate timesheet processes, Hubstaff sounds like every manager’s dream come true! But TBH, that’s just not the case in actuality.
Whether you’re struggling with Hubstaff at this very moment or on the fence about whether it’s the right tool for you, you’ve come to the right place! Read along as we dive into everything you need to know about Hubstaff before you buy and 10 of its top alternatives.
What is Hubstaff?
Hubstaff is a project time tracking software to help teams manage their workforce through time-based features including reports, GPS tracking, timesheets, and invoicing. Five different products make up Hubstaff’s entire workforce management platform:
- Hubstaff Time for basic time tracking and reports
- Hubstaff Desk for timesheets, proof of work, and URL tracking
- Hubstaff Field for team management on location
- Hubstaff Tasks for general project management
- Hubstaff Talent for attracting remote workers
Each product has a separate pricing plan. And while their use cases vary slightly, they’re all supported by the same four pillars: time tracking, employee monitoring, workforce management, and project management—but the first three categories are where Hubstaff really shines. A ton of features live within these four categories. Some of the most popular are:
- Time tracking across devices
- Automated online timesheets
- Time reporting and insights
- Employee URL, activity, screenshot, and app monitoring
- Employee scheduling and efficiency tools
- GPS tracking
- Payroll and invoice tracking
But before you start entering the company card into Hubstaff’s billing page. It’s important to consider its limitations and challenges.
We love boosting productivity as much as the next person, but at what cost? Be mindful that a product like Hubstaff—which can take screenshots of your employee’s monitors every 10 minutes, reveal search histories, and track your mouse activity—might make some members uneasy.
This sort of time data can be great for finding gaps in productivity and making positive changes to fill them, but there are other ways to monitor time during the day that simply don’t give off the Big Brother vibe.
What’s more, Hubstaff lacks key project management features including several key workflow views, collaboration abilities, brainstorming tools, a document editor, and more.
Not to mention, it’s pricey! If you’re on a team of more than two people, you will be forced into Hubstaff’s Time Pro Plan, starting at $8.33 per user, per month.
Lucky for you, you don’t have to settle for this! You can surpass every Hubstaff hindrance by investing your time in one of its top alternatives instead. 🙂
The 10 Best Hubstaff Alternatives to Try Right Now
A lot more goes into proper project time management than simply tracking your employee’s time. It’s what you do with the information that makes the difference. Instead of monitoring their every move, invest your time and energy in a Hubstaff alternative that can do more with the time you track!
ClickUp is the only all-in-one productivity platform built for teams across industries to consolidate their work into one dynamic knowledge base. Its rich set of time-saving features is designed to streamline processes, align the team on goals, and stay on track, including customizable Dashboards, a global timer, and over 15 highly visual workflow views to manage productivity from every angle.
Whether you’re reprioritizing your daily tasks, adjusting project timelines to stay on budget, or invoicing a client, ClickUp makes it all happen with ease and efficiency.
ClickUp best features
- Notes, labels, and tags for context in every time entry, and advanced filtering and sorting
- Over 15 unique views, including a Workload view to distributing tasks among the team
- Flexible project time tracking to start and stop time from any device, task, or window
- Customizable timesheets for a deep dive into your team’s productivity
- Automated formulas to accurately calculate your billable time
- High-level reporting that can group entries by time estimates, date and time, billable or non-billable, and more
- Template: Use ClickUp’s pre-built time-tracking templates and more!
- Can be an adjustment period learning ClickUp’s rich feature set
- Some views are not yet offered in the mobile app
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $5 per month, per user
- Business: $12 per month, per user
- Business Plus: $19 per month, per user
- Enterprise: Contact ClickUp for custom pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (5,510+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,510+ reviews)
nTask is a collaborative task and project management software that helps teams manage projects, tasks, resources, communication, and more. It provides users with the ability to stay on top of their workloads with advanced task organization tools like custom lists and checklists.
nTask’s automatic time-tracking tool runs in the background. Once the timer is stopped, the system logs the minutes/hours.
Workspace owners and administrators can see how many hours team members have put in to complete a task. The individual hours worked on the task by a specific resource can be viewed simply by clicking on the arrow next to their name.
If you’ve forgotten to stop the timer, don’t worry! Task and project owners, workspace administrators, and workspace owners have the ability to edit and add time.
nTask best features
- Dedicated workspaces for better task management
- Resource planning and task allocation
- Gantt charts and task dependencies
- Financial settings in projects
- Attaching large files when sharing takes longer than normal
- Only suitable for teams with less than 50 team members
- Premium: Starts at $20/month for 5 users
- Business: Starts at $60/month for 5 users
- Enterprise: Contact nTask for pricing
nTask ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (100+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
Clockify is a time tracking software designed to help you manage your working hours and get more done in less time. It’s suitable for individual freelancers, teams, and businesses of all sizes.
A unique feature Clockify offers is changing the start time of the running timer. For example, if you forget to start the timer at the beginning of the day, you can manually adjust the start time to reflect when you began working. This feature is especially useful for those who aren’t in the habit of tracking time. As a result, you aren’t overcharging clients or working more hours than you should!
Clockify best features
- Chrome, Firefox, Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android apps
- Kiosk Mode to clock in and clock out using a shared device
- Charts and activity breakdown on time dashboards
- One-click hour blocking on calendars
- Teams may require training to learn all of its features
- Lacks a user-friendly interface
- Basic: $3.99/user per month, billed annually
- Standard: $5.49/user per month, billed annually
- Pro: $7.99/user per month, billed annually
- Enterprise: $11.99/user per month, billed annually
Clockify ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (4,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
Check out these Clockify alternatives!
4. Toggl Track
Toggl Track is a helpful tool for freelancers looking to stay on top of their tasks. With the ability to track time spent on tasks, they can easily measure and analyze their workflow. (Which helps them make informed decisions about what to spend more or less time on!)
As a result, freelancers can increase their efficiencies by creating repeatable project templates and processes based on their task data.
Through the use of intuitive dashboards and reports, Toggl Track provides an easy way to visualize and understand the time spent on each task. This helps freelancers better manage their workflow and maximize their productivity, which can have a direct effect on the success of the business.
Track time with the Toggl Track and ClickUp integration!
Toggl Track best features
- 100+ integrations with Chrome and Firefox browser extensions
- Summary, detailed, and weekly reports
- Historical billable rates
- Fixed free projects
Toggl Track limitations
- Free plan members can’t pin the most frequently-used time entries for easy access
- Not suitable as a task management tool on its own
Toggl Track pricing
- Team: $9/user per month, billed annually
- Business: $15/user per month, billed annually
Toggl Track ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (1,000+ reviews)
Everhour is a time-tracking and resource management platform designed to help teams stay organized, collaborate more easily, and increase their overall productivity.
It features simple, intuitive interfaces for manually tracking time, allocating resources across projects, automating invoicing, budgeting projects, and more. By utilizing Everhour’s versatile suite of tools, you can streamline processes within your organization without sacrificing visibility or control.
Another use case for Everhour’s time tracking features is using it for categorizing standard leave types. It helps businesses manage their workforce and ensure they have the right coverage when employees are out for weeks or months. For example, managers can use these categories to estimate how many employees will be available each month, allowing them to better plan projects and anticipate workloads.
Check out the Everhour and ClickUp integration!
Everhour best features
- Budget settings and labor costs
- Planned vs reported task progress
- Summary charts
- Time log and time approvals
- Lack of advanced customization for time summaries compared to other Hubstaff alternatives on this list
- Lacks time categories for enhanced employee time tracking
- Lite: $5/user per month, starting at 2 users
- Team: $8/user per month, starting at 5 users
Everhour ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (300+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (100+ reviews)
DeskTime tracks employee productivity so managers, teams, and employees can measure their performance and identify trends. The platform collects data about the time they spend on different tasks and applications.
The time tracking software also offers different tools to help managers identify areas where employees can make positive changes to encourage better productivity. A points system incentivizes employees to stay productive, while health and wellness tracking encourages a healthier work-life balance.
DeskTime best features
- URL and app tracking
- Pomodoro timer
- Shift scheduling
- Custom reports
- Not suitable for teams that perform tasks away from the screen
- Limited basic features on the free plan
- Lite: Free for 1 user only
- Pro: $6.42/user per month, billed annually
- Premium: $9.17/user per month, billed annually
- Enterprise: $18.33/user per month, billed annually
DeskTime ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (400+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
Harvest is a time-tracking tool that helps businesses and teams stay on top of their hours, projects, and budgets. With Harvest, users can easily track hours spent on tasks, review timesheets in real-time, generate invoices with ease, and manage expenses more effectively.
Users have the option to track time from their browser, desktop, or mobile. This allows employees to accurately record the time they spend on different tasks, even when they are away from the office. This can help to identify inefficiencies and areas where time is being wasted, allowing managers to optimize their schedules.
Harvest best features
- Capacity reporting to understand team workloads
- PayPal and Stripe integrations to pay invoices online
- Custom time reminders for consistent time tracking
- Time and project dashboards
- Lack of batch-assigning time feature for employers working with multiple freelancers
- The free plan comes with only one seat and two projects (Check out these Harvest alternatives)
- Free: 1 seat, 2 projects
- Pro: $10.80/seat per month, billed yearly
Harvest ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (700+ reviews)
8. Time Doctor
Businesses, teams, and individuals can track and optimize their workflows with Time Doctor, a dedicated time tracking software. Users can make informed decisions about their daily activities based on detailed insights into how they spend their time.
With Time Doctor, users can create custom alerts, break down projects into tasks and subtasks, categorize tasks, set time limits for activities, analyze productivity levels with detailed reports, and more. Time Doctor’s advanced features allow businesses to improve efficiency, reduce waste, and boost productivity.
Check out the ClickUp and Time Doctor integration!
Time Doctor best features
- Work-life Balance widget to monitor employee time tracking and workloads
- Screenshots, screen recordings, and activity levels
- Client login access
- Offline time tracking
Time Doctor limitations
- Screen monitoring might capture personal information when it takes screenshots at random
- Lacks native project management tools compared to other Hubstaff alternatives on this list
Time Doctor pricing
- Basic: $70/user per year
- Standard: $100/user per year
- Premium: $200/user per year
Time Doctor ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (400+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (300+ reviews)
Paymo is a time-tracking tool that lets businesses keep track of how much time employees spend on different tasks, projects, and clients. For instance, Paymo’s automated reports provide a real-time overview of employee activity and billable hours, enabling managers to make informed decisions about resource allocation and budgeting.
By using the time log data, clients can receive accurate invoices, which can result in improved client relationships and more revenue. The Paymo time tracking tool can also be used to track both billable and non-billable time, allowing businesses to better understand their costs and optimize pricing.
Overall, the Paymo time tracking tool offers a range of features that can help businesses improve their performance, boost productivity, and streamline their billing and invoicing processes.
Paymo best features
- Mac, Windows, and Linux desktop widget
- Timesheet personalization settings
- Team member timesheet cards
- Project estimates and invoicing
- No advanced task management on the free plan
- Integrations only available in the paid plans
- Starter: $4.95/user per month, billed annually
- Small Office: $9.95/user per month, billed annually
- Business: $20.79/user per month, billed annually
Paymo ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (400+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
Timely is a productivity app best for remote workers to identify productivity trends across work. It’s designed to simplify how people organize their work and schedules. With Timely, you can easily track your time for any project with just a few clicks.
The app also comes with additional key features such as detailed reporting tools, budgeting tools, and real-time goal tracking. This allows you to easily monitor how much time you are spending on each project or task and identify areas of improvement to increase productivity. Additionally, it integrates with popular services like Google Calendar, Quickbooks, Azure, and more to make managing projects easier than ever before.
Most employee time-tracking software is designed to surveil employees on their apps and computer usage. If you have an anti-surveillance work policy, this software is for you!
Timely best features
- Real-time project plan overview to prevent looming challenges
- Workflow tracking to monitor specific tasks
- Automatic timesheets for accurate billing
- Work activity tracking in the background
- Issues with AI performance cause more work for the users to troubleshoot
- Time accuracy might be a hassle if you’re changing timezones
- Starter: $9/user per month, billed yearly
- Premium: $16/user per month, billed yearly
- Unlimited: $22/user per month, billed yearly
Timely ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (600+ reviews)
- G2: 4.8/5 (200+ reviews)
Build Trust and Boost Productivity With ClickUp
TBH, this list just scratches the surface of the top Hubstaff alternatives. But there’s no need to continue the search for the best time-tracking software when we’ve brought you the champion. 🏆
ClickUp is the only productivity solution that can help you save time, improve productivity, and increase profitability across the board! With hundreds of time-saving features, it’s the ideal Hubstaff alternative for any team.
Access unlimited tasks, multiple project views, flexible time tracking, and more when you sign up for ClickUp today and watch your productivity take on new heights. 🏔