Gantt charts are ideal for project management because they provide a visual overview of the timeline and scope of a project. They make it easy to estimate project timelines and identify potential bottlenecks in your workflow.
And when they’re embedded into project management software, Gantt charts gain superpowers—they can link to tasks and assignees, move related tasks when deadlines change and show you a project’s real-time progress.
Unfortunately, many Gantt chart software work only (or better) on Windows systems. But if you’re a Mac user, don’t worry—there are tools that work on your device. Find out more in this list of 10 Gantt chart software for Mac users.
What Should You Look for in a Gantt Chart Software for Mac?
When choosing a Gantt chart software for Mac, consider the following features:
- User Interface: A user interface should be easy to use and understand. It should make it easy to access all the features you need
- Automation: You should be able to automate routine steps and simple workflows to save time spent on making Gantt charts
- Collaboration: Gantt chart software should make collaboration easy by allowing team members to assign, view, and comment on tasks
- Performance Monitoring: Performance monitoring is a must-have for any Gantt chart software. This feature lets you track the progress of various tasks and analyze how they affect the overall project timeline
Read on to learn about the 10 best tools for making Gantt charts on a Mac.
The 10 Best Gantt Chart Software for Macs
ClickUp is a cloud-based productivity suite with a Gantt chart view for project management. It makes Gantt charts look beautiful with an uncluttered UI and customizable elements.
Like the rest of the platform, ClickUp’s Gantt chart tool for Mac is a pleasure to use, with a responsive drag-and-drop interface and support for multiple collaborators working simultaneously on the same chart.
Explore our Gantt chart tool by downloading ClickUp for MacOS and starting with this simple Gantt template.
ClickUp best features
- Automatically identifies potential bottlenecks with intelligent tracking of critical paths
- Dynamic timeline view, including automatic rescheduling of all linked tasks when you move a task with dependencies
- One-click sorting according to the due date, priority, assignees, date created, and other sorting options
- Track project progress in real-time with dynamic progress percentages
- Get a bird’s eye view of all ongoing projects in one Gantt chart with clear color coding
- Responsive drag-and-drop interface for multiple collaborators to make changes to the chart
- Users on the free plan can’t export Gantt charts as PDF or PNG files
- New users may find the extent of customizability overwhelming (something you can mitigate by starting with Gantt chart templates rather than from a blank canvas)
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $5/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Business Plus: $19/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
Check out the best overall project management software for Mac for a broader overview of your options!
2. Toggl Plan
Toggl Plan is a project planning and management tool that provides a Gantt chart view. You can create Gantt charts for any project and easily view the status of tasks and progress. Toggl also doubles as a team calendar and project planner.
If, after reading about Toggl Plan’s features and limitations, you’re not sure you want to try it, check out this list of Toggl alternatives.
Toggl Plan best features
- Segmented Gantt view makes it easy to identify long-term tasks
- Add context with file attachments, comments, and checklists
- Responsive design ensures the chart adjusts itself when resizing windows
- Has integrations with popular apps like Asana, Trello, Jira, Zendesk, and Basecamp
Toggl Plan limitations
- Can only add one file attachment per task
- You can’t hide “done” tasks unless you’re on the pricier Business plan
Toggl Plan pricing
- Free trial
- Team: $9/month per user
- Business: $15/month per user
Toggl Plan ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
Bonus: To-Do List Apps for Mac
TeamGantt is a powerful Gantt chart software for Macs with a good-looking UI and an emphasis on team collaboration. It includes features like task-specific chats, automated task, and project scheduling, and an intuitive drag-and-drop interface.
TeamGantt best features
- Real-time collaboration, no matter how many people are on the project
- Beautiful color-coded Gantt charts and timelines
- Drag-and-drop interface for easy rescheduling of tasks
- Automated task scheduling to save time (no need to manually adjust due dates)
- Sometimes slow to load
- Minor, occasional glitches like milestones not being displayed
- Lite: $24/month per manager + 5 collaborators per manager
- Pro: $59/month per user + unlimited collaborators
- Enterprise: $99/month per user + unlimited collaborators
TeamGantt ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4.8/5 (800+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
Smartsheet is a popular Gantt chart software for Mac users. It offers features like task dependencies, timeline drag-and-drop controls, and automated notifications to help you keep track of project progress. Smartsheet also supports collaboration with multiple stakeholders for more efficient communication and easier task assignment.
Note that a lot of competitors offer similar features, so be sure to compare Smartsheet with alternative software before you commit to a paid plan.
Smartsheet best features
- Gives you granular control over access permissions, security, and data management
- Real-time changes and updates to keep all team members in the loop
- Lets you automate workflows, such as recurring feedback requests at predefined intervals
- Has an active community of expert users who share best practices and software-related solutions
- Limited formatting capabilities
- Some users find that the software can get clunky when dealing with multiple task sub-levels
- Pro: $9/month per user
- Business: $32/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Smartsheet ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (9,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (2,000+ reviews)
Teamwork is a project management platform with a Gantt chart tool for Mac. It lets you track multiple projects and work on the same chart simultaneously with your team members.
Plus, it offers a range of reporting tools to measure project performance.
Teamwork best features
- Task dependencies to quickly identify bottlenecks
- Set task priority to help the team focus on the most important work
- Balances functionality with user-friendliness
- Integrates with software commonly used by virtual teams, such as Google Workspace, Databox, Toggl Track, and various developer, accounting, and marketing tools
- Limited customization features
- More expensive than most of the tools on this list
- Starter: $8.99/user per month
- Deliver: $13.99/user per month
- Grow: $24.99/user per month
Teamwork ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (1,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (700+ reviews)
Monday.com is a “work OS” that aims to help you streamline your workflows and apps. Aside from a Gantt chart feature, Monday gives you project overviews, as well as dashboard and Kanban views.
You can keep an eye on each team member’s workload to evenly spread work across your team.
Like every piece of software, Monday has its limitations too. We’ve compiled a list of Monday alternatives to help you decide if this is the right software for you.
Monday best features
- A low-maintenance tool for task and project management
- Supports quick, seamless imports of Excel spreadsheets (CSV files) and converts them into smart boards that can be viewed as Gantt charts
- Easy-to-set-up automations to eliminate repetitive, manual tasks
- Integrates will collaboration, productivity, and design tools
- Doesn’t have powerful task dependency capabilities
- No option for assigning comments on Gantt charts to team members
- Basic: $8/user per month
- Standard: $10/user per month
Monday ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (6,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (3,000+ reviews)
SmartDraw is a Gantt chart and diagramming software for Mac devices. It’s ideal for highly technical use cases like engineers and app development.
Additionally, many users find it suitable for enterprises as it can provide single sign-on to thousands of users within an organization.
SmartDraw best features
- Has an intelligent formatting engine that helps you create your charts
- Comes with templates for 70+ visual formats, including Gantt charts
- Integrates with MS Office, G Suite, Jira, and more
- Imports Visio and Lucidchart files
- Software occasionally crashes
- Some users find the navigation confusing
- Single user: $9.95 per month, billed annually
- 5+ users: $5.95/user per month, billed annually
SmartDraw ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (107+ reviews)
Try out these SmartDraw alternatives!
GanttPRO is different from many options on this list because it’s a project management tool that’s based on Gantt charts. No bells and whistles—you plan, estimate, and track work using Gantt charts, plain and simple. Thanks to this level of focus, many users find GanttPRO easy to learn and use.
GanttPRO best features
- Lets you group tasks, subtasks, and milestones within a project
- Useful for resource management: Automatically calculates task and project costs based on resources you’ve linked to tasks and the resource’s cost per hour
- Has separate workspaces for personal and team charts
- Gives you options for granting team members viewing and editing permissions
- On the free version, the software places a watermark on your exported charts
- Lacks fluidity when zooming in and out and when using the slider
- Free trial
- Basic: $7.99/user per month
- Pro: $12.99/user per month
- Business: $19.99/user per month
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
GanttPRO ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (300+ reviews)
nTask is a project management software with interactive Gantt charts. It’s useful for prioritizing tasks, managing risk, and tracking progress. nTask’s Gantt chart tool is integrated with the rest of the platform, which means you can pull project info from various views and dashboards into your chart.
nTask best features
- Sends real-time notifications whenever a project status is updated
- Lets you assign issues and risks to team members without leaving the Gantt chart view
- Shows linked subtasks with a single drop-down click of parent tasks
- Integrates with hundreds of software, including calendars, spreadsheets, cloud storage, and communication apps like Slack
- Can be slow to load projects, charts, and query results
- Gantt charts aren’t available in the free plan
- Premium: $4 per month for 1 user (Tiered pricing depending on the number of users)
- Business: $12 per month for 1 user (Tiered pricing depending on the number of users)
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
nTask ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (17 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (100+ reviews)
Workzone is a project management software known for its supportive after-sales service and uncluttered UI. Despite being feature-rich, it’s easy to learn, especially with tutorials provided by the Workzone team.
Workzone best features
- The Workzone team provides unlimited training and support to customers
- High level of customizability so you can create workflows and charts that suit the way you work
- Many reviewers say they got fast and friendly responses from the customer support team
- Lets you create personal to-do lists and set up automated email reminders
- Only the Enterprise plan has a critical path function
- Some users find it difficult to create and customize templates
- No free trial
- Team: $24/user per month
- Professional: $34/user per month
- Enterprise: $43/user per month
Workzone ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (50 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (100+ reviews)
Get Crucial Insights With the Best Gantt Chart Software for Mac
Gantt charts give you insights that a simple timeline or even a Kanban board can’t. They show you which tasks will be happening at what time during a project’s duration, helping you plan, prioritize, and manage your resources more effectively. They help you spot and fix potential delays before they happen.
With the right software, you can maximize the value you get from Gantt charts. Start making Gantt charts for Mac in no time by creating a free workspace on ClickUp.
Questions? Comments? Visit our Help Center for support.