Are you on the hunt for the perfect task management app to keep you on top of your productivity game? Well, look no further. We’ve compiled a list of the 10 best to-do list apps for Mac that are sure to boost your work rate and help you achieve your goals.
Check out our top picks and start crossing your tasks like a pro—no more missed deadlines or countless sticky notes, just pure productivity bliss. Let’s dive in to the top to-do list apps for Mac!
What Should You Look For When Choosing The Best To-Do List App For Mac?
When selecting the perfect to-do list app to use on your MacBook, there are several vital aspects to consider. Before making a final decision, look out for these key features and functionalities:
- Collaboration Features: For work, explore to-do list apps that enable task sharing, commenting, and task delegation. and track progress across team members. Even for personal tasks, apps with collaborative features like these will let you share notes and to-dos with family and friends.
- Third-party integrations: To improve your workflows and boost productivity, a to-do list software that integrates with other tools you already use on your Mac—calendars, emails, workspaces like Slack, and task management—is just what you need.
- Multi-device compatibility: If you work across multiple devices, then we recommend going for a to-do list platform that is compatible with all your Apple devices—iPad, Apple watch, iPhone, and more—not just your Mac. This choice will ensure you access your tasks or notes wherever is most comfortable for you at any time to create tasks in a to-do list app.
- Easy-to-navigate user interface: Whatever to-do list app you choose for your Mac, it should have a clean and simple interface. This simplicity will ensure you don’t spend so much time figuring the app out such that you have little to no time left for creating tasks or managing them.
- Customization capabilities: When determining what-to-do list solution to use on your Mac, flexible customization options are non-negotiable, from tags, to labels, deadlines, reminders, and notifications. These features will help you personalize the app to your specific needs and get the most value out of it.
The 10 Best To-Do List For Mac
A to-do list app will help you stay organized and on top of your tasks. To help you choose the right fit for your personal or business needs, here are our top 10 to-do list apps for Mac.
ClickUp is the ultimate productivity suite—its wide range of customizable features for task management, projects, Docs, and goals make it an ideal to-do list app (and digital planner). The app also boasts a user-friendly interface and seamless integration with over a thousand other productivity solutions.
So, for individuals to boost their productivity—and teams looking to hit (and surpass) their project management KPIs, ClickUp is the best to-do list app for Mac (if we do say so ourselves).
ClickUp best features
- Customizable tasks: ClickUp lets you create, assign tasks, and track or manage tasks easily. With this feature, you can also simplify big and complex projects by splitting them into subtasks. And to streamline task management even more, ClickUp allows you to set due date reminders, reschedule list items, and assign tasks to others as necessary.
- Spaces, folders, and lists: For easy tracking, ClickUp provides a project hierarchy structure where tasks are organized into lists, lists are categorized into folders, and folders are saved in workspaces.
- Templates: Save time and energy by using ClickUp’s pre-made and customizable templates for different personal and business use cases, from project outlines to action items, simple to-do lists, checklists, and more.
- Time tracking for Mac: ClickUp offers a time management feature that lets individuals calculate the duration spent on tasks and set time estimates, improving the accuracy of future planning and reducing time consumption significantly.
- Notes: Take notes and document projects from anywhere in the world at any time with ClickUp. The notepad function helps you populate your to-do list on the go so you don’t forget important tasks.
- Loaded free version: ClickUp’s free version is loaded with other task management and project management features you won’t get in these other to-do apps.
- Learning curve for some
- Limited control over notification settings
- Free Forever (free version)
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (6,700+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,600+ reviews)
GoodTask is an intuitive task app that’s based on Apple’s reminders and calendars. It serves as both a checklist app for simple to-dos and a task management software for complex projects.
While GoodTask is great for Mac users, it also syncs easily with other devices in the Apple ecosystem to display checklists to you wherever you are.
GoodTask best features
- Great user interface
- Quick actions and text snippets
- Daily, weekly, and monthly schedule view
- Smart lists
- Theme maker for customizing your app’s appearance
- Web app prone to app crashes
- New iOS updates sometimes lead to performance issues
- Doesn’t have features like other project management apps in this list
GoodTask customer ratings
- G2: Unavailable
- Capterra: Unavailable
3. Things 3
Things 3, built by Cultured Code, is a leading task manager for daily planning, project management, and progress tracking. Its unique design and seamless UI have made it a user favorite and earned it recognition as Apple’s Design Award Winner—twice.
A niche app for Apple devices, Things 3 also makes life easier for its users by integrating with workspaces like Slack and enabling project sharing.
Things 3 best features
- Calendar events and views for task and meeting reminders
- One-time app purchase/payment (forever)
- Aesthetic design
- Upcoming list – for planning your week ahead
- Tags for task grouping
Things 3 limitations
- No free versions
- No web-app interface
- Lacks collaboration features
Things 3 pricing:
- For Mac: $49.99
- For Apple watch and iphone: $9.99
- For ipad: $19.99
- Complete set: $80
Things 3 customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.9/ 5 (130+ reviews)
Bonus: Task management apps for Mac!
One of the most popular to-do list apps and task managers, Todoist lets you break tasks into subtasks and prioritize them as you see fit. While it’s well-established as a life-planning and family-and-friend collaboration tool, Todoist also offers a business plan for teams looking to better manage their official tasks.
The app’s simple user interface and dashboards make it easy for Mac users to quickly organize tasks, assess progress, stay accountable, and achieve more daily.
Todoist best features
- Customizable lists
- Project templates
- Filter views
- Basic collaboration features; not ideal for advanced or complex project management
- Can only be used with an internet connection; not offline
- Pro: $4/month per user
- Business: $6/month per user
Todoist customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (750 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2200+ reviews)
OmniFocus, from The Omni Group, is designed for busy professionals that may easily be overwhelmed with multiple tasks and projects. If you have to interact with complex tasks every day then you should consider using OmniFocus as your Mac to-do list app.
The software makes completing your most important tasks convenient and flexible, as you can easily access your to-do lists on other Apple devices like an Apple Watch, iPhone, and more. And unlike some other tools on this list, like Todoist, Omnifocus enables offline access.
OmniFocus best features
- Real-time syncing across your multiple Apple devices
- Batch editing
- Siri adaptability
- Sharing menu – for importing action items from any app on your device
- No free plan
- For the web: $4.99/ month
- Pro: $9.99/month
- V3 Standard License: $49.99 – traditional one-time payment
- V3 Pro License: $99.99 – traditional one-time payment
OmniFocus customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (70+ reviews)
Built specifically for personal use, 2Do lets you plan your tasks and break them into bite-size steps for granular tracking. The app’s Mac version is a complete task editor which you can access from anywhere and at any time.
With 2Do, you can create tasks and update their status—scheduled, in progress, or done—accordingly. 2Do also lets you label tasks to organize them by relevant categories or similarities.
2Do best features
- Cloud sync with tools like Dropbox, CalDAV, and Toodledo
- Color-coded lists for related projects and tasks
- Sound or text notification alerts for undone to-dos
- Batch editing
- Automatic backups
- Advanced search capabilities
- Smart lists
- No calendar sync
- Poor collaboration features
- Incompatible with Android devices
- 2Do iOS: $14.99
- 2Do Mac: $49.99
2Do customer ratings
- G2: 3.5/5 (2 reviews)
- Capterra: Unavailable
Founded in 2016, TaskPaper is one of the oldest to-do list apps for Mac. Its latest version TaskPaper3 retains the plain-text format from the original app but with a modern twist.
The tool’s simple plain-text format also makes it ideal for users who find advanced project management apps distracting or confusing. TaskPaper3 seamlessly integrates with your Mac’s reminder system so you never have to miss a thing on your to-do list.
TaskPaper3 best features
- Task scheduling by date
- Drag-and-drop feature for organizing lists
- Distraction-free interface
- Export/import with Reminders app
- Dark mode
- If you appreciate graphics and visually-appealing user interfaces, TaskPaper isn’t for you
- No free plan
TaskPaper customer ratings
- G2: Unavailable
- Capterra: Unavailable
Any.do is a simple to-do list solution for individuals and teams. It enables people to collaborate on projects in real-time, manage tasks, and monitor business processes.
Any.do best features
- Color tags
- Real-time chat
- Integrations with third-party tools like Slack, Microsoft Teams, WhatsApp, and more
- Calendar and reminders
- 100+ templates for different projects and use cases
- Multi-device syncing
- Daily planner
- Not suitable for advanced project management
- Only offers a few features
- Premium: $3/month per user
- Teams: $5/month per user
Any.do customer ratings
- G2: 4.1/5 (190+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (160+ reviews)
9. Microsoft To-do
As to-do apps that are compatible with MacBooks go, Microsoft To-do is one of the most robust options. It is especially valuable for Microsoft 365 power users who can combine To-do’s task planning functionalities with other productivity tools within the hub like Outlook, PowerPoint, OneDrive, and more.
Microsoft To-do best features
- Intelligent and personalized suggestions for daily or weekly task planning
- Invites and sharing features for collaborating with friends, family, and colleagues
- Seamless integration with other Microsoft 365 tools
Microsoft To-do limitations
- Few features
- Limited task prioritization capabilities
- Confusing user interface
- Requires a Microsoft account to use
- No reporting features
Microsoft To-do pricing
Microsoft To-do customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2700+ reviews)
10. Tick Tick
Tick Tick is a 3-in-1 app for managing to-do lists, checklists, and tasks. It lets you organize your personal and work life, set task deadlines and reminders, and collaborate with others smoothly.
With over 30+ features for recording ideas and planning daily activities, Tick Tick is one to-do list app worth considering as a Mac user.
Tick Tick best features
- Flexible calendar views
- Voice input
- Easily converts emails into tasks
- Multiple reminders to avoid missing relevant due dates
- Syncs seamlessly with calendar apps
- Sorts tasks by time, title, tag, priority, or a custom filter you create
Tick Tick limitations
- Inability to edit, complete or delete tasks directly from the Google Calendar account linked to it
- Free version is very limited
Tick Tick pricing
- Premium: $27.99/year
Tick Tick customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (80+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (90+ reviews)
ClickUp: The No. 1 To-Do List App for Mac
Managing your tasks on Mac has never been easier with the abundance of to-do list apps available. While all the other apps on this list offer unique features and benefits, ClickUp is easily the best to-do app on the Mac App Store.
With its comprehensive and intuitive features, ClickUp makes managing your tasks a breeze. One of the stand-out features of ClickUp is its flexibility. Unlike many other to-do list apps, ClickUp is an all-in-one project management software that lets you customize your workflow to fit your specific needs.