Top 5 Resource Management Software (2022 Reviews)
Looking for the best resource management software?
Planning and managing resources can be exhausting — especially when you’re handling multiple projects simultaneously.
But every resource manager must take care of their resources efficiently to ensure that they meet their project goals and deadlines.
While that sounds like a lot of work, it doesn’t have to be!
With powerful resource management software, this becomes a piece of cake.
It’s almost as effortless as Harry dealing with villains in the Kingsmen movie series!
In this article, we’ll review five resource management tools to help you find the one that suits your project needs. We’ll highlight their key features, pros, cons, pricing, and customer ratings to give you a comprehensive understanding of each tool.
Let’s get started.
What Is Resource Management?
Before diving into each tool, let’s take a quick look at what resource management is and why you need resource management software.
After all, no secret agent is going to tackle a mission before assessing it first, right?
Resource management is the process of planning, allocating, and monitoring your resources in the most efficient way possible.
Luckily, unlike Eggsy, you won’t have to fight dangerous criminals to manage your project resources!
What are the key responsibilities to resource management?
In project resource management, your key responsibilities include:
- Resource planning: creating a strategy for proper utilization of your resources
- Resource allocation: process of assigning resources to a project
- Resource utilization: making the optimum use of each project resource
- Resource leveling: process of adjusting your project schedule and resource allocation to meet any sudden resource demands
- Resource forecasting: predicting resource needs for upcoming projects
And to carry out all these tasks properly, every resource manager needs the right resource management strategy.
But what if you don’t have a strategy?
Not implementing an effective resource management strategy will result in this:
- Your team won’t have clear insights into the project’s resource planning and scheduling process
- You might face severe resource bottlenecks due to over or under-utilization of resources
- There will be communication gaps and conflicts between team leaders and members — especially in remote project management
- You won’t be able to meet your deadlines in time and could overrun your budget
In panic-mode already?
Just let your resource management software take care of everything, like how Harry takes care of Eggsy.
Why Do You Need A Resource Management Software?
Sure, it’ll help manage your project resources.
But that isn’t all.
Resource management tools will also help you:
- Get quick overviews of your project: project overviews help you better plan and manage your resources according to resource demand
- Make smarter allocation decisions: by knowing how each project resource works, you can make proper resourcing decisions
- Maximize resource utilization: with a clear view of each project resource, you can avoid underutilization and overutilization of resources
- Minimize miscommunication: with task-specific comments, communication with project team members and team leaders becomes much more effective
- Measure productivity: access detailed reports of your team’s performance and take necessary steps to boost their efficiency or balance their workload
Sounds impressive, right?
Here are the top resource management software for 2021:
Top 5 Resource Management Tools 2022
You now know why you need a resource planning software.
But when there are tons of resource management tools available, how do you pick the right one?
After all, not every spy gadget will suit your style!
So here’s a tour of the best resource management tools to help you pick the management software that suits your needs perfectly.
This resource management tool has everything you need to manage project resources in the best way possible.
Whether you need help with resource planning, resource scheduling, or task management, ClickUp is the only tool you need.
Think of it as an all-in-one project resource solution — like Harry’s umbrella!
Here’s a quick look at some key features of this project management software:
1. Goals to help you set project goals and track them
No agent ever goes on a mission without knowing what they want to accomplish.
They always set their goals and ‘targets’ before going in, right?
Project management is no different.
But how do you implement this kind of resource planning?
Writing them down on a piece of paper clearly isn’t the best option:
So what can you do instead?
Use ClickUp’s Goals!
Goals in ClickUp are high-level containers that can be broken down into smaller, achievable Targets.
For example, if your Goal is to build a new digital Kingsman weapon, your Targets could be “beta testing” or “improving the UI.”
Your team can now work on finishing these smaller Targets to ultimately achieve the project Goal. Additionally, as you complete these Targets, your overall Goal progress percentage is automatically updated — giving you an idea of how close you are!
But that’s not all, this resource planning software also lets you:
- Quantify your project Goals with OKRs (Objectives and Key Results)
- Set up weekly scorecards
- Move Agile sprint backlogs into a Goal to start project sprints quickly
2. Create Tasks, Subtasks, and Checklists to manage your projects efficiently
A project has a lot of moving parts, right?
You have assignees, deadlines, task dependencies, Scrum meetings… the list just goes on!
And manually keeping track of all these will wear out even the most accomplished Kingsman agent!
Luckily, ClickUp can break down your entire project into Tasks, Subtasks, and Checklists for better project and task management.
Here’s how it works:
- Tasks and Subtasks: break down your project into smaller tasks and subtasks. Instead of tackling the whole project, your team can now work on it step-by-step
- Checklists: create simple to-do lists to map out steps, quality check items, etc. for any task. Project team members can check these off quickly according to their progress
Task management has never been this simple!
3. Use Multiple Assignees and Teams to meet strict deadlines
For long and challenging missions, you may have to assign more than one agent.
Similarly, in project management, some complex tasks require additional human resource allocations to speed things up a notch.
With ClickUp’s Multiple Assignees, you can allocate many team members to any task instantly!
This way, if you’re falling behind a tight project schedule, you can perform resource leveling and assign more human resources to speed up the task and level your team’s workload.
But wait, that isn’t all.
Like any Kingsman agent, you have multiple options at your disposal.
If you have to assign something to a team, just use ClickUp’s Teams feature to assign it to a group instantly!
This way, you’re not wasting time adding individual assignees – you just create a group, assign it to them and watch them take care of the rest.
The Agency needs to keep an eye on their agents on missions to help them achieve their goals.
Likewise, an excellent resource manager needs to know what his project team is working on for efficient human resource management.
ClickUp’s Profiles gives you a detailed overview of each team member’s assignments.
You’ll get full clarity on:
- What someone is working on
- What they should work on next
- What they have completed recently
But that’s not all you can do for asset management!
ClickUp’s Box view gives you a visual overview of your team’s workload. This way, you can quickly identify members with a lighter workload and assign them to important tasks when needed.
5. Use Comments to discuss a specific task
If Harry and Eggsy are on the field together, they need to stay in touch to discuss mission details.
Similarly, your project tasks will often need discussions and clarifications.
In ClickUp, every task has a built-in Comment section that lets team leaders and members have task-specific discussions. This is super handy for teams that are working remotely due to the current pandemic.
You can use this feature to:
- Clarify what to do in the task
- Address a task-specific issue with the right context
- Share relevant files
- Assign comments to specific members
6. Time Estimates to make better resource allocation decisions
Timing is very crucial for any mission.
You stay in the building a minute longer and it could blow up along with you!
In project management, you won’t have to deal with exploding buildings — but you will have to deal with deadlines. And as we all know, missing a deadline could result in verbal explosions from your clients!
Luckily, ClickUp’s Time Estimates let you set how long your team should work on a task. This will also help determine how many resources you need to allocate for that task.
And if the task becomes overdue, this resource planning software will instantly notify you via email.
7. Gantt Charts and Dashboards for tracking your team’s progress
No spy agency would want their agents to go AWOL — they might go rogue!
Similarly, how do you ensure that your team and project are on the right track?
Here’s how an asset management tool like ClickUp helps:
- Gantt chart: Gives you a visual overview of a project’s progress over a time period. Unlike other boring and complicated Gantt charts, ClickUp’s Gantt chart feature has powerful automation and is super fun to work with.
- Dashboards: Give you high-level views of everything in your workspace. From Scrum project status charts to task priorities, you can tailor your Dashboard to display what you need. It doesn’t matter if it’s human resource, sales, or even marketing resource management — ClickUp can handle it all!
- Offers a feature-rich free version
- User-friendly interface
- Drag and drop feature for easy project management
- Can quickly allocate a task to any team member
- Custom statuses to keep track of your project status
- Pulse feature to know what each team member is working on in real-time
- Can assign multiple team members to a single task
- Customize how you receive project notifications
- Smart search feature to find all your resources quickly
- Supports native time tracking as well as integrations with third-party time tracking apps
- Priority feature helps highlight how urgent a task is
- Can track your remote team’s productivity
- Offers loads of app integrations with other software like Slack and Salesforce (via Zapier)
- Available as desktop, browser, and mobile apps
- No white labelling available
- No tags for Docs
- Cannot export Dashboards
You can check out ClickUp’s product roadmap here.
ClickUp has a powerful free version with tons of helpful features. For added functionality, paid plans start at just $5/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1800+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (900+ reviews)
Float is a resource management tool that helps you make a resource plan or resource schedule easily. It lets you plan projects based on your resource capacity and also gives you detailed reports about your resource utilization.
- Powerful search feature that filters information by projects, people, tags, etc.
- Color-code projects to visualize your team’s workload easily
- Timesheet is pre-filled based on your work schedule
- Works as a basic HR software that can schedule time off for your team members
- Create project budgets and track its costs or hours
- User-friendly interface
- Has a drag and drop interface that can reassign tasks quickly as per resource demand
- Get real-time notifications about schedule changes via Slack and email
- Integrates with tools like Google Calendar for effective resource management
- Can visualize workload for better resource allocation and work management
- Can’t view your project schedule as a daily agenda
- Doesn’t have a free version
- No flexible access rights as it mainly depends on an individual’s role in the team
Paid plans start at $5/person per month.
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (800+ reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (500+ reviews)
3. Resource Guru
Resource Guru is a resource scheduling tool that offers various asset management features to help you track your resources.
- Centralized client and project management solution
- Resource availability bar that shows your free resources
- Employee leave and other absence management
- Supports color coding for easier resource categorization
- Has basic human resource management software functions like overtime management
- Easy to use interface
- Can use custom fields like “department”, “location”, etc. to filter resources quickly
- Has a Zapier integration with Salesforce
- Can view everyone’s assignments in a single collaborative calendar
- Can analyze your resource utilization with detailed reports
- Doesn’t have Gantt chart feature to track project progress
- Can’t create recurring tasks
- No free version available
Paid plans start at $2.50/person per month.
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (200+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (30+ reviews)
LiquidPlanner is a cloud-based resource scheduler and project management tool. It offers various features like project portfolio management, document management, time tracking, and more.
- Customizable dashboards that display crucial project data
- Automated resource leveling
- Project time estimate settings
- Can generate a timesheet based on your assignments
- Supports project and task level priorities
- Has a board view for teams who prefer the Kanban method
- Can easily compare your project’s status at a current stage with a past point
- Supports priority-based scheduling for efficient resource scheduling
- Can create reports for project status, resource utilization, marketing operations, etc.
- Doesn’t have a lot of native integrations (will have to rely on Zapier)
- Paid plans are far more expensive than other resource management tools
- Has a steep learning curve as the interface isn’t intuitive
- Doesn’t offer a free version
Paid plans start from $45/user per month.
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (600+ reviews)
- G2: 4.2 (70+ reviews)
Mavenlink is a project management software that helps you plan and allocate resources by understanding your resource utilization rates. Like Keyedin projects (another project planning tool), Mavenlink also lets you estimate future resource demand and perform capacity planning accordingly.
- Resource utilization reports
- File sharing among your team
- Time and expenses tracking
- Native business intelligence tool
- Resource forecasting
- Can assign tasks, monitor task status and track project activity
- Can be used as marketing resource management software to plan marketing campaigns
- Has integrations with Slack, G Suite, Salesforce and other software
- Can collaborate with clients on project timelines, approvals, etc.
- Resource forecasting feature only available in premium plans
- Not as user-friendly when compared to other software we mentioned
- No free version available
Paid plans start from $19/month for 5 users.
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (300+ reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (300+ reviews)
We get it.
Resource management can be a challenging activity.
But there’s nothing that a powerful resource management tool can’t take care of!
From planning and scheduling resources to conducting resource leveling, there are tons of resource management software tools that can help you out each step of the way.
Just go through the five we listed here to find the right resource management tool that meets your project needs.
And while all the tools we listed are good, ClickUp is definitely the most comprehensive project management solution for any team (Agile, Scrum… you name it). To get started, sign up today and get fully equipped to handle situations as easily as a Kingsman agent!