Remote work is the name of the game these days—and that’s not going anywhere.
We all got a taste of what it’s like to join meetings from the comfort of our pajama pants, and we never looked back!
But we’re not alone here. In fact, three-quarters of the global workforce believes remote work is the new normal, and companies have followed suit as roughly 85% of businesses now offer flexible work policies.
With this rise in dispersed teams comes a greater need for powerful and collaborative project management software to align members on key goals and streamline daily processes.
Whether you work from home, from the office, or a little of both, project planning software is a must-have tool. Designed to assist you in every step of your workflow, project management software cuts down the time-consuming nature of project planning with features for managing tasks, teams, communication, and productivity from anywhere and at any time.
The issue we face isn’t whether we need project management software. It’s which one do we choose? Of the hundreds of tools on the market, we’ve done our homework to bring you the best of the best.
Follow along for everything you need to know about the best project management software including the top 10 tools for your business, key features, pros and cons, pricing plans, customer ratings, and more. 🙌🏼
What to Look for in a Project Planning Tool
The right project planning tool for you hinges entirely on your team’s unique needs. This includes the size of your team or company, the product or service you provide, whether your team collaborates in real-time, budget, and more.
That’s not all though.
More than just finding a tool that can do it all, it’s important to invest in software your team will actually use which makes UI, ease of use, and convenience a major factor to consider.
So, how do these factors really impact your decision long term and what else should you keep an eye out for before settling on your next project management software? We’ll show you!
Ease of use: Efficient project planning software should provide an intuitive and uncluttered user interface without compromising its functionality. The more accessible and easy to navigate the tool is, the more attractive it will be to each team member. Plus, fewer headaches! While the right software shouldn’t require hours-long tech training, still make sure there are plenty of customer support resources like webinars, help documents, and YouTube channels for fast solutions.
Features and functionality: Consider the software’s ability to support key project planning strategies and tools like Gantt charts, multiple project views, workflow automation, workload management, and more.
Collaboration: Especially if your team works asynchronously, make sure your project management software supports in-app chat, integrates with communication tools like Slack, and has the capacity to add comments.
Customization: Project management software works for you—not the other way around. Choose a tool that is flexible enough to scale with you and seamlessly align with your current processes and project plans. This will not only help the team adopt the tool faster but give you a fresh perspective on your workflows.
Integrations: Integrations extend the functionality of any project management software and help streamline your processes faster. Merging the power of project management software with tools you already use to manage your email, scheduling, meetings, data, and more.
Price: With so many tools at your disposal, there is no reason why you should have to break the bank for the project planning tool of your dreams. You don’t need an enterprise-worthy budget for rich features and zero compromises, trust us on this.
Customer satisfaction: Purchasing software without reading user reviews is like ordering seafood from a restaurant before looking it up on Yelp—it’ll come back to haunt you. Sure, a tool might sound great on paper, but what do its top customers think? Check official review sites like G2 or Capterra to see how well products follow through on their promises.
That might sound like a lot to ask of a single software, but it’s completely doable! We’ve sorted through every contender to bring you 10 of the very best project management tools for every team.
10 Best Project Planning Software Tools
ClickUp is a productivity platform designed to bring teams and work together—all in one place. From daily tasks to complex projects, ClickUp’s intuitive interface creates a seamless experience for everyone to stay connected. Whether your team works asynchronously or in real-time, you’ll have the context and tools needed to keep projects moving.
Take your productivity to new heights by integrating ClickUp with your favorite apps and software so you’ll always have a single source of truth. Plus, ClickUp integrates with 1,000+ other work tools including Slack, Hubspot, Zapier, Chrome, Microsoft Teams, and more!
- User roles and permissions that make it easy to work with internal and external partners
- Sharable screen recordings that can be converted directly into a task
- Automations that will simplify your workflows
- Project planning templates for every use case in the ClickUp Template Center
- Board View is separated by status columns so you can visualize where you are in your workflow with each task (useful for Sprint planning)
- Threaded comments that you can delegate to the team from any task, Doc, or Whiteboard
- Capacity planning tools like project briefs for resource management
- Task management tools like global time tracking and time estimates
- The level of customizability and the number of features available may lead to a learning curve
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7 per month per user
- Business: $12 per month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (1,400+reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
Hive is a project management software designed with a focus on team collaboration which shows in its variety of communication features. Project teams can collaborate with Hive Chat, Hive Mail, comments, project access, and multiple and shared inboxes.
With Hive, you can choose between the numerous ways to get your team focused on what you are working on through messages, card priority levels to alert them of urgent tasks, and tagging them in the comments.
- Flexible views
- Instant messaging functionality
- Executive summary templates
- Portfolio management
- Time tracking
- Kanban boards, Gantt charts, tables, and calendars for easy planning
- Excellent communication features
- Intuitive and pleasant user interface
- Easy to integrate with various tools
- Steep learning curve due to the vastness of capabilities
- Limited functionality for mobile versions
- Limited views
- Solo: Free
- Teams: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact Hive for details
Hive ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (370+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (150+ reviews)
Monday.com is one of the popular project management software helping project managers handle basic and complex projects. The platform enables users to easily collaborate, customize workflows, track project progress, and analyze information.
Built for transparency and collaboration, Monday offers features that allow you to handle all your tasks. Teams can view data through highly visual dashboards and manage multiple projects efficiently.
- Resource management
- Third-party collaboration
- Reporting dashboards
- Numerous custom integrations
- Ability to add custom integrations with Open API architecture
- You can add freelancers as well as third-party agents
- Enables detailed reporting
- Integration with store inventory can be confusing
- No download or export button
- Free plan
- Basic plan: $8/month per user
- Standard plan: $10/month per user
- Pro plan: $16/month per user
Monday ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (5,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2,000+ reviews)
This is another leading, free project management app built for teams and freelancers in various industries. nTask offers a simplified user interface in a robust software solution incorporating sophisticated and powerful features to manage projects in all phases.
nTask provides numerous features that help you monitor multiple projects at the same time. It lets you set the basis for an efficient project management system with its transparent and easy-to-use collaboration channel.
- Multiple workspaces
- Visual project management to track projects
- Ability to add comments or convert comments to tasks
- Gantt charts to monitor project progress
- Efficient tracking
- Optimizes tasks and planning with kanban board views
- Custom statuses for a personalized workflow
- Lacks advanced reporting features
- Not built for large teams
- Free plan
- Premium: $3/month per user
- Business: $8/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact nTask for details
nTask ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (10+ reviews)
TeamGantt is project planning and project management software helping project managers, teams, and organizations visualize project plans in an easy-to-use online Gantt chart.
It helps teams set project milestones, manage projects, create dependencies, and receive real-time updates. It also provides functionality to share project plans with clients, vendors, or other stakeholders—keeping everyone informed and aligned on project goals.
- Easy-to-access availability tab for resource management
- Portfolio views and reports
- Planned timeline vs. actual timeline
- Flexible setup for project tracking
- No recipient logging in when sharing charts
- Available on Mac (Check out the best project management software for Mac)
- Complex dependency functionality
- No in-app notifications
- Views are often behind changes
- Limited Free plan
- Lite: $19/month
- Pro: $49/month
- Enterprise: Starting at $99/month
TeamGantt ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (800+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (189+ reviews)
Check out these TeamGantt alternatives!
MeisterTask is a project management software designed to help teams of all sizes and across industries collaborate on their project planning, tasks, and deadlines. It’s an Agile planning tool that offers intuitive task boards for project planning and task tracking.
- Activity stream on each board for team collaboration
- Customizable project dashboards with real-time updates
- Comment tags help keep everyone informed
- User friendly
- Allows numerous integrations with solutions like Slack, Microsoft Teams, and GitHub
- Ability to customize project boards
- Easy team collaboration
- Mobile app is not as powerful as the desktop app (delayed notifications)
- No dedicated task priorities feature
- Free plan
- Pro Plan: $4.19/month per user
- Business Plan: $10.39/month per user
MeisterTask ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (850+ reviews)
ProofHub is a project management software that enables teams to complete time-bound projects. It is a highly customizable platform project managers use to personalize reports, workflows, dashboards, and request forms.
ProofHub’s visual interface lets you quickly determine priorities by moving between powerful Kanban boards, table views, and interactive drag-and-drop Gantt charts to stay on top.
- Good team collaboration
- Resource allocation
- Calendars for proper scheduling
- Interactive Gantt charts
- Customizable dashboard
- Customizability features
- Effective security features such as custom access rights
- Powerful mobile app for Android and iOS
- No additional functionality like budgeting
- Not built for complicated project management
- Essential: $45/month
- Ultimate Control: $89/month
ProofHub ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (40+ reviews)
Teamwork is among the best project management software due to its core modules that focus on task management and, particularly, project planning. Teamwork’s Gantt charts, milestones feature, desktop timer for time tracking, and clean user interface makes this software a winning choice.
- Intuitive task boards
- Email integration
- Color project templates and themes
- Budget management with invoicing capabilities
- Lots of customizability
- Numerous native features, like an invoicing tool for users with built-in timesheets
- Functional mobile apps
- The free plan is limited to only small teams working on a maximum of two or fewer projects
- Not meant for complex project management
- Free Forever
- Deliver: $9.99/user per month
- Grow: $17.99/user per month
- Enterprise: Contact Teamwork for details
Teamwork ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (1,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (600+ reviews)
Toggl is a project management tool that helps project managers keep track of project tasks and prioritize their workload. It comes with powerful project, task, and time management features that make project tracking and collaboration straightforward.
- Simple drag-and-drop interface for unlimited project plan timelines
- Backlog to save unscheduled project tasks
- Color-coded milestones
- Highly visual
- Allows unlimited project timelines
- Best for time tracking
- Manage workloads visually
- Save unplanned tasks for later
- Lacks extensive features
- The free plan is limited to solo users
- Free plan
- Team plan: $9/user per month
- Premium plan: $18/user per month
- Enterprise plan: Contact Toggl for details
Toggl ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (1,500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,800+ reviews)
Another simple but fantastic project management tool on the list is Trello. Famous for its iconic cards, this application functions like supercharged sticky notes. It is an excellent tool for managing projects and various tasks and features associated with the project using Trello boards.
The Trello boards display all the information required by the project manager to organize all the activities team members must complete.
- Easy drag-and-drop functionality
- Simple task management solution
- Allow power-ups for additional functionality
- Deadline reminders
- Email notifications
- User-friendly, simple interface
- Easy scheduling and task management
- Easy to upload files and attachments
- Ability to archive card records
- No views apart from Kanban views
- Lacks reporting functionality
- It relies on various external integrations
- No advanced features such as Gantt charts, Mind maps, and Docs
- Free plan
- Standard: $5/user per month
- Premium: $10/user per month
- Enterprise: Contact Trello for details
Trello ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (12,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (22,000+ reviews)
The Ultimate Project Planning Tool? Look No Further
Finding the most effective project management solution for your team sounds simple enough, but with all of the options available and the variety of functionality between them, there’s a lot more to consider before making your purchase.
These 10 options will give your search the kickstart it needs to find your desired software as quickly as possible. But if you’re looking for a tool designed to boost productivity and collaboration regardless of your team size, industry, or budget—look no further than ClickUp. 🙂
ClickUp is the only software on this list powerful enough to bring your work together across apps, saving you time and key resources that would’ve otherwise been spent hopping between tabs, navigating other tools, or waiting on updates.
With its rich set of features and vast Template Library for every use case, ClickUp helps teams streamline their planning processes and empowers them to work the way they want to. Plus, it can do it all at the fraction of the cost.
Access tons of dynamic project planning features, unlimited tasks, unlimited members, over 1,000 integrations, and more when you sign up for any ClickUp pricing plan, including the Free Forever Plan!
Gain the customization you’ve been searching for in project planning software without compromising on functionality when you sign up for ClickUp today.