Discord has become the favorite platform for communication and socializing among gamers and online communities. With its user-friendly interface and voice and text communication tools, it’s not a surprise Discord has gained widespread popularity across other user bases.
But for fans of Discord looking for more accessible tools with professional-level quality, you have options. There are Discord alternatives that offer similar features and benefits—and we’ve put together the top 10!
What Should You Look for in Discord Alternatives?
Look for a platform with the highest security standards to promote community engagement, share multimedia content, and stay connected regardless of anyone’s location or device.
An alternative to Discord that’s intuitive to use helps improve productivity because people can navigate the app and easily find the information they need. Think of the types of topics you’ll want to discuss with your network:
- Professional development and certification
- Business strategy and leadership insights
- Events, conferences, and trade shows
- Industry trends and challenges
- Career opportunities
Having a feature-rich platform with chat and collaboration tools provide greater flexibility and creative freedom to express thoughts, ideas, and solutions. Here are other key features to keep in mind when choosing a Discord alternative:
- Security and privacy, including two-factor authentication, end-to-end encryption, and data protection measures
- Communication channels such as text, voice, and video chat to collaborate in real-time or asynchronous
- Responsive platform support with documentation and video tutorials to quickly troubleshoot issues
- Customization for personal profiles to better represent your community and brand
- Integrations with third-party apps such as project management software and email
- Notification controls to mute channels, set quiet hours, and customize per device
- Formatting and styling with rich text editing and emojis for better expression
- Built-in video conferencing solutions for real-time discussions
- Search functionality to find specific information quickly
The 10 Best Discord Alternatives
ClickUp is an all-in-one productivity platform with hundreds of customizable features to create a frictionless experience. The built-in Chat view in ClickUp lets small and large groups connect with each other conveniently from multiple devices!
Best of all, ClickUp provides visual collaboration tools like Whiteboards and Mind Maps to go beyond traditional chat channels and documents. Leverage extra visibility with @mention comments and actionable messages with video and audio Clips for any topic discussion.
ClickUp best features
- Over 1,000 integrations to bring all relevant data and information into one platform
- Assigned and threaded comments in any ClickUp Doc, task, or Whiteboard
- Tons of visual collaboration features available on every pricing plan
- Free and accessible help resources, webinars, and online support
- Over 15 customizable views to manage work from every angle
- Secure infrastructure environment with end-to-end encryption
- Notes, labels, and tags for advanced sorting and filtering
- Powerful free version with unlimited Free Plan members
- Mobile Apps, including iPad, iPhone, and Android
- Drag and drop workflow arrangement
- Create and keep track of your Goals in ClickUp
- So many powerful collaboration tools can pose a learning curve for some users
- Not all views are available in the mobile app—yet
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $5/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Business Plus: $19/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (6,500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,500+ reviews)
Slack is a team communication and collaboration hub that brings together people, data, and tools in one place. It helps teams stay organized, connect all their software tools, and work together more effectively to get things done faster.
With Slack, users can create channels for specific topics or conversations, set reminders for tasks and deadlines, share files, track progress on projects, and more. Slack is also integrated with thousands of other apps, making it easy to extend discussions even further!
Slack best features
- System roles to classify a team member as an administrator to manage Slack accounts or non-administrator
- Channels to create central, shared spaces for conversations, files, and people
- Workflow Builder to automate routine actions and communication
- Huddles and clips with audio and video options
- Limited customization options in individual settings
- Support for data loss prevention is an Enterprise plan feature
- Free plan
- Pro plan: $7.25/month per person, billed yearly
- Business+ plan: $12.50/month per person, billed yearly
- Enterprise Grid plan: Contact Slack for pricing
Slack ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (22,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (30,000+ reviews)
3. Troop Messenger
Troop Messenger is a comprehensive messaging app designed to help users work together more efficiently. It’s an all-in-one messaging and collaboration solution for virtual and remote teams, offering features like group chat, file sharing, audio and video calls, task management tools, chatbots, custom integrations, and more.
Users can collaborate in real-time and stay connected with ease. The platform also offers a powerful search function that allows users to quickly find messages and files, helping them to stay organized and up-to-date on the latest conversations.
Troop Messenger best features
- Build messaging to send to a high volume of users and groups at once
- Private chat systems, including self-messages
- Message-forward functionality
- Read and type indicators
- Text and voice chat
Troop Messenger limitations
- Registered Troop Messenger users only have access to live support
- Steep learning curve to personalize the platform
Troop Messenger pricing
- Enterprise: $5 per user per month
- Superior: $9 per user per month
- Premium: $25 per user per month
Troop Messenger ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (10+ reviews)
Chanty is a collaboration platform with features such as chat, video calls, file sharing, and task management to help users stay connected and productive. With Chanty, users can share ideas, assign tasks, and get feedback from others quickly.
Plus, all communication is securely stored in one place so that it can be easily accessed at any time. Its notifications system lets users know when there are new messages, updates to tasks, or important files. This ensures everyone is up to date on the most current status!
Chanty best features
- 4k video and audio with support for up to 1,000 video participants
- Conversation actions to rename or leave conversations
- @mentions to notify members
- Voice messages for replies on the go
- High contrast Dark theme
- Task views are limited to Kanban, list, and calendar
- Roles and permission controls are paid features
- Free plan
- Business plan: $3 per user per month
Chanty ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (30+ reviews)
Next on our Discord alternatives list is Mumble, an open-source, low-latency, high-quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming. It can be used for group communication over the Internet or other networked connections. Mumble provides clear audio at a low bit rate and minimal processing delay, which makes it ideal for gaming applications.
It is also encrypted to ensure privacy and security of communications. Mumble is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Additionally, it supports a variety of plugins to support various media like music streaming.
Mumble best features
- Custom chat commands and context menu entries
- Extensive user permission system (ACL)
- Friend recognition across servers
- Encrypted communication
- Setup guide wizards
- Users must pay for certain apps and add-ons for more functionality
- Limited help and support if there are troubleshooting issues
- Mumble is free to use
Mumble ratings and reviews
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
6. Steam Chat
Steam Chat is a voice chat service of the Steam platform that allows users to communicate with one another. It provides a variety of communication options, such as voice and video chats, group chats, and more. In addition to private messaging, users can also join public chat rooms to communicate with multiple users at once.
The platform offers a variety of customization options, such as creating custom avatars and adding friends for easy communication. Steam Chat is also integrated with other Steam services, allowing users to access their friends’ list on the platform and connect with them online.
Steam Chat best features
- Multi-media friendly chats, including video, pictures, tweets, and more
- Sharable links to invite people directly into a group chat
- Saved group chats with titles and avatars
- Drag-and-drop friend functionality
- One-click channels
Steam Chat limitations
- Lacks personalization features for a simple user interface compared to other Discord alternatives
- A user’s team level affects the friends’ limit
Steam Chat pricing
- Steam Chat is free to use
Steam Chat ratings and reviews
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
7. Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is a cloud-based collaboration platform developed by Microsoft, designed to enable employees within an organization to easily collaborate and communicate with each other. It provides users with the ability to connect and share files, chats, and tasks from one central hub.
The tool allows users to create channels for specific topics or teams, as well as search for content and conversations within their team. With its many features, Microsoft Teams is a powerful tool to help users stay connected, organized, and productive. It can be used in any business or educational setting to bring people together, share knowledge, and collaborate on projects.
Microsoft Teams best features
- Microsoft Office integrations, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Priority notifications every two to 20 minutes
- Voice calls, voicemail, and call transfers
- Screen sharing with blurred backgrounds
- Inline message translation
Microsoft Teams limitations
- Requires an Exchange Online (cloud-based) mailbox to use the platform to its fullest extent
- Steep learning curve to learn the different functionalities
Microsoft Teams pricing
- Microsoft Teams offers multiple pricing plans for Business and Home uses. A free Home account is available with limited features
Microsoft Teams ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (13,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (9,000+ reviews)
Skype is an application that allows users to make free audio and video calls. It also provides instant messaging, file sharing, video conferencing capabilities, and screen-sharing options. With the Skype mobile app, users are able to stay in touch while on the go. The application is available for both Android and iOS devices.
It can be used for both business and personal communication purposes. Skype also offers advanced features like call forwarding, voicemail, and conference calling. Additionally, users can make low-cost international calls with Skype credits or subscriptions.
Skype best features
- Message quotes for faster follow-up
- Message forwarding to other conversations
- End-to-end encryption for instant messages
- Spotify integration to preview songs
- Reactions, GIFs, citations, and more
- Works best within the Microsoft ecosystem to get the platform benefits
- Ads appear for users on the free plan
- Skype has free and paid plans, including a subscription, Skype Credit, and Skype Number
Skype ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (22,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (370+ reviews)
Ventrilo is a voice chat and communication program designed for online gaming, especially multiplayer games. Not only does Ventrilo provide gamers with a great way to stay connected during games, but it also has features like server lists, user and channel settings, voice activation detection, hotkeys, and more.
Additionally, Ventrilo provides users with a secure connection that is free from outside interference. This Discord alternative is also great for online meetings or conference calls, as it allows users from around the world to participate regardless of their location!
Ventrilo best features
- User-to-User private conversations, both voice calls and text
- Channel feature filtering and playback voice streams
- Persistent channel Admin passwords
- Text-to-speech (TTS) voice generation
- Minimal use of CPU resources
- Website content is extensive to read through and troubleshoot issues compared to other Discord alternatives
- Free for up to 8 people on the same server
- Ventrilo is free to use
Ventrilo ratings and reviews
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
Element is a communication platform for users to send and receive messages, images, and other data via instant messaging. The tool also allows users to create and join their own chat rooms while supporting audio and video calls.
The platform is available on Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, and web browsers. It is free to use but has additional features for premium plans, such as increased storage capacity and customization options.
Element best features
- Support and service levels agreements (SLAs) for cloud and on-premise deployments
- Group chat rooms for individuals or teams with access permissions
- Multiple network functionality to work and collaborate securely
- Unlimited one-on-one and group voice and video calls
- End-to-end encryption
- Element support is unable to reset passwords or reactivate matrix.org accounts
- Users are unable to register with a phone number
- Business: $5 per user per month
- Enterprise: $10 per user per month
- Sovereign: Contact Element for details
Element ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (5+ reviews)
Stay Connected and Organized With ClickUp’s Chat Tools
ClickUp offers an incredible chat communication experience that’s tailor-made for heightened productivity and efficiency.
Packed with powerful features such as integrations, task management, and creative tools like Whiteboards and Mind Maps, ClickUp creates a one-of-a-kind platform that goes above and beyond conventional chat channels and documents.
Plus, ClickUp offers a free plan with unlimited Free Forever Plan members and affordable pricing plans to get started with a small or large group! 🌐
Questions? Comments? Visit our Help Center for support.