Top 5 Todoist Alternatives (Features, Pros, Cons, Pricing)
Looking for the best Todoist alternatives?
Todoist is no stranger to project management; they’ve been alive and kicking since 2007!
But since it’s one of the veteran organizational apps, wouldn’t it be a little rusty by now?
While it’s to-do list has been updated to keep up with the frantic pace at which we work, it’s starting to show its age a bit.
For starters, Todoist has very basic project management features compared to other tools. Additionally, it requires a lot of add-ons as life support!
In this article, we’ll discuss why you need a Todoist alternative and the top five project management tools along with their pros, cons, pricing, and reviews.
Let’s get started!
What Is Todoist?
Todoist is a minimalistic task management tool that allows you to organize, plan, and collaborate on projects.
What are its best features?
- Assign tasks to yourself or your team
- Recurring task due dates
- Deadline reminders
- Progress tracking
Todoist offers one free version and two paid versions.
Todoist Premium costs $3/month, and Todoist Business costs $5 per user/month.
That may sound alright, but when projects become complex, you’ll have bigger fish to fry. And you want to look beyond basic task management.
That’s when the search for Todoist alternatives comes into the picture.
Why Do You Need Todoist Alternatives?
Todoist is a good task management app, but it’s not great.
To answer this, we’ve compiled a list of issues that Todoist is infamous for.
And here they are:
- There’s no built-in time tracking features
- You can’t create custom statuses to align with your workflows
- And here’s the most frustrating thing: the free version is now limited to 5 projects (old limit was 80!)
But these are just a few of the Todoist drawbacks you’re going to face in the long run.
No need to panic!
We have some good news.
We’ve created a curated list of the best Todoist alternatives, so you won’t have to tear your hair out looking for a better project management and productivity app.
What Are the Top Five Todoist Alternatives?
There are quite a few amazing project management and collaboration tools on the market that’ll help you toss away all the struggles that Todoist comes with.
Let’s take a look at them:
With ClickUp, you can do anything imaginable when it comes to managing projects.
Here’s are some features that make ClickUp the world’s leading project management software:
A. Custom Views
ClickUp has a ton of different task views to offer.
After all, everyone likes to group, sort, or use the same filters over and over again for viewing their project tasks (although you can do that in ClickUp too)!
With custom views, you can choose how you want to organize your tasks.
For example, if you prefer to use a task list like Todoist, you can use the List view.
Not only you can view your tasks in a neat list, but you also can:
- Group and sort tasks by status, assignee, priority, etc.
- Add up numeric columns, so you can calculate budgets, averages, and more
- Store List Info and set priorities, attachments for each list
Here are a few more Task Views you can use:
- Box view: Lets you see what everyone is working on and determines who’s overloaded with work
- Calendar view: Schedule all your tasks and appointments effectively
- Activity view: View the latest updates within a project
ClickUp offers its own built-in time tracking features, so you don’t have to rely on any other app.
With the Global Timer, you can easily track the time taken to complete a specific task.
You can easily jump from task to task by starting a new timer for a specific task. And finally, you can also start and stop the timer from any device that you’ve logged into.
Plus, the timer is super easy to use, that you can start tracking in no time (pun very much intended.)
Got a crazy idea but don’t have the time to work on it?
You can instantly jot them down within ClickUp, and convert them into tasks so you can work on them when your schedule frees up.
What’s cool is that you can use the Notepad as a shopping list, errand list, or a place to jot down any interesting thoughts you might have.
And remember, no idea is a bad idea!
What’s a project management tool without features to help you collaborate with team members?
ClickUp’s Comments allows you and your team members to have clarity on their different objectives and keep communication strong.
In ClickUp, different comments are meant for different purposes.
Let’s take a look:
- Assigned Comments: used to convert a comment into an actionable task to ensure that your team member takes action on it
- Comment Replies: used to reply to comments and create conversations on one topic or task
- Quote Comments: used to address a specific portion of comments like so:
E. Gantt charts
ClickUp’s Gantt Chart is unlike most clunky Gantt charts out there.
It’s easy to read and visually appealing!
And it’s smart too.
Here’s what the Gantt chart does automatically:
- Update progress percentage
- Calculate critical path
- Reschedule a task or a group of task
- Manage and create task dependencies
You just need to take one look at your Gantt chart, and you’ll know which tasks are open, active, or completed.
Imagine the amount of time you can save!
Here’s something new for your morning routine.
Your Home stores every task, reminder and to-do list assigned to you.
You won’t need to spend hours searching for a task because they’re waiting for you at Home!
It’s the best place to see what you need to do for the day, grab a coffee (or tea…we won’t judge), and get started!
- Great task management capabilities
- Create and store task templates for easy use
- Tons of integrations (Google Drive, Time Doctor, Teams, Zoom, etc.)
- Save simple and advanced filters for your tasks
- Priority feature to show task urgency
- Customize project notifications to decide how you want to receive them
- Drag and drop capabilities for reordering almost anything
- Bulk rescheduling for remapping tasks or a project
- Create and access stored project files and documents with Docs
- Super user-friendly interface
- Create subtasks with priorities, assignees, and due dates
- Available on iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android
- Can’t export Dashboards
- No tags available for Docs
ClickUp offers three pricing options:
- Free Forever Plan: 100MB storage with unlimited users and tasks
- Unlimited Plan ($5 per user/month): Unlimited storage, lists, calendars, integrations
- Business Plan ($9 per user/month): Google single sign-on (SSO), custom exporting, advanced time tracking
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2050+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (1080+ reviews)
Get the list of top ClickUp Alternatives for more details.
2. Tick Tick
Tick Tick has a few powerful task management abilities, which make it a quality contender as a Todoist alternative.
But if you’re looking for a tool that offers a free version with many useful features, you may have to look elsewhere.
- Built-in Pomodoro timer
- Convert emails into tasks
- “Plan my day” to help prioritize tasks for the day
- Reminders for schedules along with location-based alerts
- Various calendar views
- Available for iOS (iPhone & iPad)and Android
- No native calendar sync
- Limited integration options
- Free version limited to only 99 tasks (we wish it was at least a round number 😏)
- Basic Plan can be upgraded to Premium Plan at $27.99 per year
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (40+ reviews)
- G2: 4.6/5 (20+ reviews)
Trello is a project management software that’s famous for its unique Kanban Boards.
However, just like a pop star in the 90s, Trello is a bit of a one-hit-wonder:
The entire tool revolves around Kanban.
All your tasks are cards that can be dragged and dropped into different project stages.
- Easy to use drag-and-drop interface
- Advanced checklists to create more detailed tasks
- Trello Power-Ups can help you add tons of functionality
- Great collaboration features
- Very minimal learning curve
- Checklist within tasks allows for prompt feedback
- Doesn’t show task dependencies
- Limited to a Kanban board view
- Not suited for large organizations
Trello offers three pricing options:
- Free Forever: Unlimited cards and lists
- Business Class ($12.50 per user/month): Advanced checklists and board collection with power-ups
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (17,500+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (10,800+ reviews)
Curious about Trello? Check out how to use automations in Trello.
nTask is a cloud-based task manager and project management tool that focuses on risk management and efficient collaboration. However, a productivity tool dedicated to risk management can also be a risk too!
That’s because you need a tool to do a whole lot more, like monitoring your team, generating reports, and connecting to other work tools.
Unfortunately, nTask can do neither of these things.
- Native meeting management tool for organizing, managing, and scheduling meetings
- Issue management module for identifying and tackling issues
- Converts comments into tasks using Slack
- Create unlimited tasks and to-do list items for free
- Prompt notifications, alerts, and reminders
- Compatible with your iPhone and iPad
- No email task management features
- Limited storage in free version
- Limited integration options
nTask offers three pricing options:
- Basic Free Plan: includes meetings, timesheets, and issues tracking
- Premium Plan ($3.99 per user/month): Basic plan features and bulk actions, custom filters, and 5GB storage
- Business Plan ($11.99 per user/month): includes premium features along with risk management, custom permissions, and 10GB storage
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (10+ reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (10+ reviews)
Asana is another great Todoist free alternative.
Whether you’re managing a large or a small team, Asana can help you.
However, a lot of their useful features such as unlimited tasks, timelines, dashboards, etc., require you to pay up.
(Well, that’s definitely going to eat into your vacation funds.)
- Powerful timelines for scheduling tasks
- Reminders and due dates
- Task milestones to track significant achievements and events
- Four project views including Kanban (similar to Trello)
- Real-time collaboration features
- Supports tons of third-party integrations
- Available on the iOS app store (for iPhone & iPad) and Google Play Store
- No offline mode
- Multiple assignees for a single task aren’t possible
- Mobile app isn’t at par with the web app
Asana offers three pricing options:
- Basic Free Plan: basic features including board view, 100MB storage, and list view
- Premium Plan ($10.99 per user/month): includes extra features like custom fields and milestones
- Business Plan ($24.99 per user/month): includes extra features like goals and integrations
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (9000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (6800+ reviews)
Finding a decent Todoist alternative doesn’t have to be a chore.
Just go through the five Todoist alternatives we mentioned and pick the one that suits your team best.
You’re welcome! 😊
And while all of the tools that made the list have their share of pros, ClickUp is clearly the best free Todoist alternative that has a lot more to offer.
So get ClickUp today for free and manage your projects like a boss!