Meticulous record-keeping is essential for running any healthcare service. Whether you have a small practice or a large facility, you must constantly manage patient evaluations, appointments, treatment plans, discharges, and other procedural data.
Manually handling admin tasks in a healthcare facility is neither practical nor efficient. You need a patient management software system to bring order to your day-to-day operations. 🩺
These systems are typically all-in-one solutions for healthcare providers, clinics, and institutions. They’re packed with features to minimize the admin workload, centralize patient data, and make internal processes less prone to human errors.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to the 10 most reliable patient management tools on the market. Explore their capabilities and see how they help with operational effectiveness and patient care.
- What is Patient Management Software?
- 10 Best Patient Management Software in 2023
What is Patient Management Software?
Patient management software tools are designed while keeping healthcare institutions and their employees in mind. They help reduce the administrative burden by streamlining records and automating workflows, ensuring your team can provide an optimal patient care service.
You can expect features for creating, managing, storing, and accessing patient records, scheduling appointments, organizing calendars, handling patient admissions and discharges, and even billing. Having a quality healthcare project management tool by your side gives you more time to focus on customer relationships and revenue management.
How to choose the right patient management software for healthcare professionals
Practice management software solutions come with various feature sets to cater to various admin needs. In general, focus on these characteristics as you evaluate products:
- Document management and record-keeping: The right tool should offer robust doc management options to allow you to create, edit, and store patient records, reports, and treatment plans securely
- Forms: It should let you create e-forms for patient evaluations, admissions, and discharges for better patient engagement
- Scheduling: The platform should offer a comprehensive calendar for creating and tracking integrated schedules for doctors, nursing staff, and lab technicians
- Templates: It should offer a collection of templates to help you create professional-looking patient records, manage schedules, and stay on top of your duties
- Reminders: Built-in reminder functionalities help you prepare for upcoming appointments and track no-show patients
- Secure and HIPAA-compliant: The platform must offer patient data protection and other security and encryption protocols required by HIPAA
10 Best Patient Management Software in 2023
We’ve combed through dozens of patient management tools and handpicked the top 10 that offer the best mix of functionality and ease of use. Explore our list and find a program that ticks all the boxes for your practice! ✅
As a top-rated task and project management system, ClickUp packs a punch with impressive features to handle healthcare facility workflows at any scale.
The ClickUp Healthcare Project Management tool comes with an umbrella of functionalities. The first is ClickUp Docs—ideal for centralizing patient records, clinician onboarding material, and other admin paperwork. Seamlessly link documents to tasks to connect patients with specific caregivers or doctors.
ClickUp Dashboards offer 15+ views to visualize and balance workflows and medical supplies. Use the traditional List or Board views to oversee workloads, patient details, and resources. Monitor multiple workflow streams on the Calendar view, perfect for scheduling appointments and meetings.
The ClickUp Form view helps you create e-forms for capturing data like patient intakes, evaluations, discharges, team assessments, and surveys.
Have a busy facility? We’ve got you! With ClickUp Reminders, you can get notifications for appointments and critical procedures. Set up Automations on the platform for recurring admin tasks like sending emails or generating discharge paperwork.
Level up your patient management game with premade templates: ClickUp Patient Management Template and ClickUp Patient List Template. They come with Custom Fields (like HMO Identification Number, Designation, Place of Birth, and Insurance) to organize client information.
ClickUp integrates with 1,000+ tools, including Slack, RingCentral, Zoom, Calendly, and Zapier.
ClickUp best features
- Secure, privacy-oriented, and SOC 2-compliant platform
- ClickUp Docs for creating work and research documents
- Healthcare-specific CRM templates
- Customizable reminders
- 15+ views to monitor patient info, workloads, and supplies
- 1,000+ integrations
- Automates repetitive tasks
- Customizable Forms for electronic health records (EHRs)
- High-end scheduling capabilities
- New users need time to master the platform
- Not all views are available on the mobile app
- Free forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
*All listed prices refer to the yearly billing model
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,700+ reviews)
2. Salesforce (Customer 360)
Salesforce is a robust CRM platform with an appealing product for healthcare providers and institutions—Customer 360.
With Customer 360, you get a suite of features to manage your customers—in this case, patients. Create and share forms to add detailed patient records with attributes like contact info, clinical data, appointments, medication prescriptions, preferences, and assigned physicians to reduce bottlenecks. Track medication records, dosages, and refills in real time.
The tool’s intelligent appointment management features let you optimize your workdays. For instance, you can inform your patients what lab reports they need to bring to appointments beforehand and avoid misunderstandings.
Salesforce (Customer 360) best features
- Supports detailed patient records
- Customizable forms to collect info
- Intelligent appointment management
- Comprehensive medication records
Salesforce (Customer 360) limitations
- May be out of budget for smaller clinics
- Navigating and finding items can be time-consuming
Salesforce (Customer 360) pricing
- Enterprise: $325/month per user
- Unlimited: $500/month per user
*All listed prices refer to the yearly billing model
Salesforce (Customer 360) ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.8/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (Under 10 reviews)
eClinicalWorks is a healthcare platform packed with innovative tools. It features a Patient Portal, where patients can schedule appointments, view labs and medications, and even chat with their physician.
eClinicalWorks collaborates with healow apps for iOS and Android phones. Use healow Open Access to help patients schedule appointments according to open slots. With Check In, they can provide info about their insurance, sign forms and consent, and review their history before the actual visit. healowPay simplifies bill payment logistics.
Take advantage of eClinicalMessenger to remind your patients about their appointments, wellness checks, or lab results. You’ll love Eva, the platform’s AI virtual assistant! She can fetch patient histories, let you compare past and current progress notes, and book appointments in a jiff! 💃
eClinicalWorks best features
- Detailed electronic health records
- Works with healow apps
- eClinicalMessenger for reminders
- Eva, a capable virtual assistant
- Revenue cycle management (RCM) to monitor earnings
- Customer support may have long wait times
- The interface isn’t quite user-friendly
- EHR only: $449/month per provider
- EHR with Practice Management: $599/month per provider
- RCM as a Service: 2.9% of practice collections
eClinicalWorks ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.6/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 3.3/5 (300+ reviews)
NextGen is a comprehensive solution for electronic health records, practice management, and revenue cycle management.
The platform lets you create cloud-based EHRs for patients, covering their medical history, allergies, and medications used. Your staff and patients can access relevant records from any device.
In terms of practice management, NextGen has customizable scheduling options. You can configure calendars to prevent overbooking and allow patients to set up their appointments online. Your staff will appreciate NextGen’s color-coded scheduling templates, which are ideal for grouping patients.
NextGen’s revenue cycle management options can support various decision-making processes. Build transparent billing mechanisms, spot denials, and enhance the velocity of collections. 💸
NextGen offers digital documentation solutions that help complete PDF forms offline. When you’re back on the internet, connect to the cloud, and your forms will be synced.
NextGen best features
- Cloud-based EHRs
- Customizable scheduling options with color-coded templates
- Revenue cycle management
- Offline form management
- Occasional glitches
- The user interface could be improved
- Contact for pricing
NextGen ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.7/5 (140+ reviews)
- TrustRadius: 7.1/10 (8+ reviews)
Maintain patient-focused EHRs, boost clinical efficiency, and improve client relationships with athenaOne! 🤝
The platform lets you create and manage comprehensive patient records. Info about a patient’s history, allergies, problems, meds, and vaccines is always at your fingertips. Patients can review their records, test results, and appointment dates as well. Use athenaTelehealth to support your patients virtually and provide them with the necessary care.
Tired of missed appointments? athenaOne can send automatic reminders and provide an option to cancel, allowing you to adjust your schedule.
The platform supports mobile-based, in-person, and online payment options to make collections easier. When it comes to revenue cycle management, you’ll like athenaCollector—the feature checks insurance technicalities and catches claim errors before submissions.
athenaOne best features
- Automatic reminders with cancellation support
- Cloud-based medical billing
- Built-in tool to reduce the risk of botched claims
- athenaTelehealth for virtual support
- Initial setup and configuration can be challenging
- Closing prescriptions is not easy
- Contact for pricing
athenaOne ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.5/5 (90+ reviews)
- GetApp: 3.7/5 (700+ reviews)
AllegianceMD is a user-friendly tool combining robust EHR options with impressive practice management features.
With its ePrescriptions, you can get rid of prescription pads! The platform can:
- Check interactions between allergies, drugs, and diseases to help finalize prescriptions
- Track patient insurance eligibility
- Send electronic prescriptions to pharmacies
The Patient Portal makes your practice run smoothly. Patients can register online, fill out demographic data from the comfort of their homes, set appointments, send refill requests, and review their medical records.
Set automated reminders for patient appointments and prevent bottlenecks in your schedule. The portal enables patients to make payments online and view their statement history.
AllegianceMD best features
- Handy electronic prescriptions
- Centralized patient database
- Automated reminders
- Refill request management
- The platform may lag occasionally
- The design could use an upgrade
- Contact for pricing
AllegianceMD ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (Under 5 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (20+ reviews)
7. Practice Fusion
Rediscover efficiency, ease of use, and functionality with Practice Fusion, a popular solution for independent practices large and small. 🌝
The platform offers convenient patient charting functionalities. Use thousands of premade templates to streamline workflows and boost efficiency. Create unique shortcuts to reduce keystrokes and fill out charts faster. Reduce manual entries by generating lists containing common diagnoses, pharmacies, and prescriptions.
Practice Fusion collaborates with over 98,000 pharmacies to help your patients get their meds based on electronic prescriptions.
Ordering tests? The platform works with 500+ labs and imaging centers—choose where you’d like your patients to get tested and get the results sent to your device.
Practice Fusion lets you create superbills that pull info from your charts to display detailed service charges.
Practice Fusion best features
- Works with 98,000+ pharmacies and 500+ labs and imaging centers
- Thousands of charting templates
- List generation and shortcuts for reduced manual entries
- Integrates with popular medical billing services like AdvancedMD and Veradigm
Practice Fusion limitations
- Occasional downtimes
- Several users mentioned billing issues causing revenue loss
Practice Fusion pricing
- Starts at $149/month per provider
Practice Fusion ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.9/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 3.7/5 (400+ reviews)
It’s burdensome to watch critical patients wait for treatment because of paperwork delays. Well, DocPulse can come to the rescue! 😷
This online patient management system helps you streamline all processes within your practice, from admission to discharge.
Use the platform to create forms for new intakes for your patients to fill out, assign rooms, and generate advance receipts. Set up different types of rooms and manage their availability in real time. The software’s auto compute bed charge option automatically calculates the length of stay and room type to give you accurate prices.
Other billing features include capturing advances and detailed discharge reports, handling refunds, printing receipts, and reconciling bills. The platform has numerous insurance support options that let you check a patient’s claims eligibility and capture payment data.
DocPulse best features
- HIPAA-compliant infrastructure
- Auto computation of bed charge
- Effortless insurance support and billing
- Detailed discharge reports
- Limited options to send reminders to patients
- No offline support
- Contact for pricing
DocPulse ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 5/5 (Under 5 reviews)
Want a tool that combines CRM, marketing, and healthcare project management? LeadSquared can impress you big time! The platform boosts patient intake, engagement, and retention with workflow automation, segment marketing, and team management tools.
The platform offers patient intake functionalities like:
- Self-serve patient portal
- Digital insurance verification
- Multichannel appointment reminders and follow-ups
LeadSquared’s task management and CRM features help keep your practice performance-oriented. You can track appointment vs. admission rates to monitor patient satisfaction. Use filters to review patient data by center, source, team, doctor, or month and establish accountability with precision.
Market your practice better by setting up automated text messages and emails and segmenting leads and patients based on diverse criteria, such as location or service type.
LeadSquared best features
- Self-service option for patients
- Automated marketing tools for promoting your practice
- Task assignment and monitoring
- The UI and UX could be better
- Lack of advanced marketing automation options
- Contact for pricing
LeadSquared ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (200+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (150+ reviews)
Go paperless with Clinicia—a first-class practice and resource management software. 🏥
With Clinicia, you can record the smallest details of every patient interaction and maintain spotless digital notes of their diagnoses, treatment plans, prescriptions, vital signs, and labs.
The platform supports specialists with unique record-keeping features. For example, dentists can generate and manage dental charts with detailed histories and visual representations for every treatment. 🦷
When it comes to issuing prescriptions, Clinicia guides you with suggested medicines from its preloaded database. New medicines and their dosages are automatically saved for future use. Share prescriptions with your patients via email or SMS or print them out.
Clinicia lets you generate bills, collect payments from your patients, and analyze payment collection over time. The platform also offers options for tracking expenses, letting you allocate your resources properly with tailored budgets.
Clinicia best features
- Suitable for specialists
- Easy prescription management
- Options for collecting payments and tracking expenses
- Supports email- and SMS-based marketing campaigns
- Some users had issues with duplicate entries
- No free plan
- Basic: ₹6,000/year (about $73)
- Standard: ₹8,500/year (about $103)
- Custom: Contact for pricing
Clinicia ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 5/5 (Under 5 reviews)
Keep Your Practice Healthy With the Right Patient Management Software
It’s amazing how software tools support informed operational and clinical decisions in the healthcare industry. 💉
Our listed patient management platforms significantly reduce the burden of paperwork and administrative tasks and help you focus on your main goal—taking care of your patients.
If you’re still confused and are looking for a cost-effective task and project management for your practice, we recommend starting with ClickUp.