Looking for the best BPM software?
Business process management is one of the most essential processes for any company. It helps you optimize your workflows to make sure everything flows as smoothly as possible.
However, BPM is an intricate process, so you can’t just use any tool for it, right?
That’d be like popping into your garden shed, taking out a hammer, and calling yourself Thor!
We admire the confidence, but we’re pretty sure Thor didn’t get his powers from Home Depot…
Similarly, what you need is a specialized BPM tool.
It’s a platform dedicated to optimizing and automating all your business-related processes and workflows.
In this article, we’ll cover what BPM software is and highlight eight popular BPM tools available today. We’ll review key features, pros, cons, pricing, and customer ratings to help you pick the best one!
This Article Contains:
(Click on the links below to jump to a specific section)
- What is BPM software?
- What are the three types of BPM?
- What is the best BPM software?
- The 8 best BPM tools in 2020
(includes key features, pros, cons, pricing, and customer ratings)
Let’s get started!
What Is BPM Software?
A BPM platform or business process management software is a tool that helps businesses optimize and automate their business processes.
Business management software can help you:
- Optimize your workflows for operational efficiency
- Identify areas where you’re lagging to implement continuous improvement
- Gain detailed insights into various aspects of your critical business processes
What are the three types of BPM?
Here are the three types of BPM solutions:
- Human-centric: human-centric bpm process management focuses on the human-work processes to create collaborative workflows
- Document-centric: focuses on enhancing the flow of documents within the organization; from the formatting stage to verification
- Integration-centric: combines business process management with service-oriented architecture to adapt to changing business needs
Now that you’re familiar with the 3 types of BPM, let’s take a look at the best BPM software available today.
What is the best BPM software?
ClickUp, Process Street, Kissflow, and the other tools we’ve listed in this article are the best BPM tools available.
Why are they the best?
Because most of them contain the features you’d want in a BPM tool.
Think of it this way:
Mjolnir. Thunder. Unbelievably silky blonde hair.
That’s what you’d expect from Thor, the God of Thunder, right?
Here are a few specific features that every excellent BPM tool must have:
- Workflow automation: business process automation to speed up the interactions between business users, employees, systems, and data
- Document management: create, share, store, and collaborate over files
- Communication and collaboration: conversation, chat, and threads for relevant discussions and idea management
- Analytics: set metrics and KPIs to analyze your performance
- Easy integration: key integrations to allow businesses to share data across other business application tools and systems
The Top 8 BPM Tools In 2020
Here’s a list of the top eight business process management tools that’ll help you optimize any work process in 2020:
Widely used by 100,000+ super productive teams from startups to giants like Google, Airbnb, and Uber, it’s the only workflow software you’ll need to manage all your project-related processes efficiently.
Whether it’s process automation, tracking progress, or resource management, ClickUp can handle anything you throw at it!
How ClickUp helps in business process management:
- Workflow Automation: with 50+ pre-built workflow automation commands, you can automate repetitive tasks in a jiffy or even customize and build your own automated workflows for workflow management
- Custom Task Statuses: create relevant and customized task statuses for any type of project
- Task Checklists: use detailed to-do lists to breakdown your tasks into smaller, manageable chunks
- Docs: easily create, share, and store project or company-related documents with your virtual or in-house team
- Dashboards and Reporting: use ClickUp’s Agile Dashboards to visualize and measure your project progress and team performance with charts like Velocity, Burnup, Burndown, and Cumulative Flow Diagrams
- Multiple Assignees: easily assign more than one team member or even a Team to a collaborative project or task
- Powerful Integrations: whether it’s a communication, video calling, or time tracking tool, ClickUp offers integration with tons of apps from Slack and Zoom to Toggl and Google Drive
- User-friendly interface
- Offers a feature-rich free version
- Easy workflow management with drag and drop functionality
- Create an automated process for easy task management
- Can adapt to any project style with Multiple Views
- Can quickly assign tasks to any team member
- Plan complex processes or draw process diagrams with Mind Maps
- Can keep track of project timeline with Gantt Chart
- Can highlight a task’s Priority as low, normal, high, and urgent
- Create Task Dependencies to ensure the tasks are attempted in the correct order
- Supports Native Time Tracking to know how long your project and workflow tasks take to complete
- Available as powerful desktop, browser, and mobile apps
- No white-labeling available
- Can’t export Dashboards
But don’t worry, at ClickUp, we’re constantly working on making things as perfect as possible.
Click here to check out our roadmap to learn about what’s next on the menu.
ClickUp offers a powerful free version with tons of useful features. However, for added functionality, paid plans start at just $5/user per month.
ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (1300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2000+ reviews)
2. Process Street
Process Street is a simple BPM solution that helps an enterprise manage recurring business processes.
But are you barking up the wrong “street” if you use it to manage your business process?
Let’s take a look!
Process Street key features
- Can quickly create and assign checklist workflows
- Dashboard for tracking task activity in real-time
- Offers dynamic checklists with if/then logic
- Approvals for streamlining an authorized BPM process
- Scheduled checklists and process automation modules
Process Street pros
- Simple user-interface
- Can easily create structured documents
- Can add audio and video files to documents
- Easily track daily activity with activity feed
Process Street cons
- No offline version available
- Doesn’t offer desktop apps
- Base pricing plan lacks priority support
Process Street pricing
Offers a 14-day free trial with the Standard plan. Paid plans start at $15/user per month.
Process Street customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (110+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (480+ reviews)
Kissflow is a cloud-based BPM software solution for businesses of all sizes. This workflow management software supports business processes automation and performance monitoring features.
So can you use it to “kiss” your BPM problems goodbye?
Let’s take a look.
Kissflow key features
- Assign and track service tickets for quick resolution
- Dashboards to get key insights into processes
- Can automate assignments, notifications, and escalations
- Single sign-on for any other platform like G Suite and Office365
- Can create process workflows without coding
- Can assign users to any step of the business process
- Offers customizable reports
- Can link workflows with third-party tools
- Can be difficult to onboard a novice business user
- Can’t assign tasks to multiple users without creating groups
- Expensive pricing plans
The paid plans for this BPM software solution start at $360/month.
Kissflow customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (460+ reviews)
- Capterra: 3.8/5 (20+ reviews)
Appian is an app development platform that allows developers to build process-centric applications. While it’s not a traditional process management software, it can help optimize your existing business activity processes.
Appian key features
- Drag and drop capability for creating processes quickly
- Ability to view real-time task and process related data
- Process repository to store previously designed workflows
- Low-code automation platform for process improvement
- User-friendly and intuitive interface
- Can easily define critical business policies and procedures
- Quickly create task forms and dashboards
- Can access workflows and processes from anywhere
- Limited flexibility when it comes to customizations
- Requires basic coding knowledge
- Can’t assign comments to a specific team member
Paid plans start at $60/user per month.
Appian customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (60+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (60+ reviews)
Bitrix24 is a communication and collaboration platform used by teams as a customer relationship management (CRM) and project management software tool.
However, if you’re looking for a simple software solution that you can use “24/7”, you might want to look somewhere else.
Check out our detailed review on Bitrix24 here.
Bitrix24 key features
- Offers tasks with templates, checklists, and subtasks
- Instant messenger for quick internal communications
- Can easily store and share documents in three types of drives
- Calendars for efficient employee and resource management
- Convenient and intuitive CRM interface
- Can easily help you monitor your sales funnel
- Can use it as an HRMS (Human Resource Management System)
- Offers both Android and iOS apps
- Difficult onboarding
- Limited built-in task statuses
- Lacks Agile management features like Agile charts
Paid plans start at $24/month.
Bitrix24 customer ratings
- G2: 4.0/5 (340+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.0/5 (420+ reviews)
Smartsheet is a spreadsheet-based business process management tool that helps in planning, managing, and tracking projects.
And if you’re a fan of spreadsheets, you’ll love it. However, unless you live in the 90s, this BPM software tool may seem outdated.
For an in-depth review, check out our Smartsheet review here.
Smartsheet key features
- Can create and use web forms to collect data
- Gantt view to get a timeline of project dependencies and milestones
- Row, card, and sheet conversations to easily discuss project details
- Sheet templates to quickly address specific business problems
- Can build simple, automated workflows for a repetitive and manual process
- Can upload attachments in conversations and sheets
- Third-party app integrations with apps like Salesforce and Jira
- Offers mobile apps for both Android and iOS devices
- Spreadsheets aren’t a user-friendly way to manage processes
- Lacks dedicated activity stream
- Lacks a built-in time tracking functionality
The paid plans for this BPM platform start at $14/month.
Smartsheet customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (2000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (1500+ reviews)
Nintex is a platform that helps you create, automate, and optimize business workflows and processes. However, it’s not the most affordable BPM solution for most teams.
Nintex key features
- Can visually plan and map business operations or processes
- Automate repetitive work with robotic process automation
- Optimize processes with third-party AI, machine learning and Natural Language Processing
- Offers workflows for process and document approval
- User-friendly interface
- Personalized dashboards and process mapping
- Drag and drop designer for easy workflow creation
- Can easily integrate with business apps like SharePoint
- Difficult to build and manage complex processes
- Third-party app integration can be difficult
- Expensive pricing plans
Paid plans start at $950/month for unlimited users with a limit of 100 processes.
Nintex customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (650+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (70+ reviews)
8. Bizagi Modeler
Bizagi Modeler, part of the Bizagi BPM Suite, is another popular business process management software. This process modeler tool helps users enhance the customer experience with optimization and business process improvement.
Bizagi key features
- Can create detailed workflow diagrams for quick visual overviews
- Can easily collaborate over any business process model
- Real-time notifications and activity stream for constant updates
- Processes can be published in formats like Word, PDF, and Excel
Bizagi Modeler pros
- Can simulate business processes to test things out
- Has a powerful workflow engine for operational efficiency
- Can work offline
Bizagi Modeler cons
- Highly limited cloud storage for the basic plan
- Only available for Windows devices
- No Gantt chart functionality
Bizagi Modeler pricing
Paid plans start at $9.50/user per month.
Bizagi Modeler customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (100+ reviews)
Optimizing your business processes is essential and finding the right business process management tool is crucial.
A great BPM software tool will help you automate processes, identify areas for improvement, and boost your collaboration to speed things up.
Luckily, picking the right software doesn’t have to be as challenging as looking like Thor; because let’s be honest, you don’t get to look that good overnight!
All you have to do is go through the list of tools we’ve mentioned here to find the one that suits your BPM strategy.
But to save yourself time (and money), why not give ClickUp a try for free?
It’s clearly the best BPM tool out there with features for automation, team collaboration, app integrations, and everything else you need to improve your business efficiency!
Greg is a Content Strategist at ClickUp, where he crafts copy and content for the most productive people in the world. When he’s not living in ClickUp Docs, he’s spending quarantine somewhere in San Diego, drinking wine, reading his Kindle, watching documentaries, or eating shit on his surfboard.