WhenToWork has been an industry leader for online employee scheduling services for over a decade.
The best capabilities of this tool lie in shift planning and management, integration, conflict resolution, cost-saving, and helping employees maintain work-life balance.
WhenToWork’s affordable pricing structure combined with high-quality features has made it a preferred choice for universities, hotels, and retail stores alike.
However, some users believe that WhenToWork hasn’t been able to keep up with advancements in AI. Some others are looking for an alternative with a simpler user interface.
If you’re among them, we’ve curated a list of the 10 best WhenToWork alternatives for employee scheduling. Use it to make a decision faster because when it comes to the scheduling process, time is money! 💰
- What Should You Look for in WhenToWork Alternatives?
- The 10 Best WhenToWork Alternatives to Use in 2024
- Other Employee Management Tools
- Go Beyond WhenToWork Alternatives
What Should You Look for in WhenToWork Alternatives?
Here are some top features that make a good employee scheduling tool:
- User-friendly interface: Look for tools with an intuitive design for easy navigation and quick adoption by your team
- Flexibility: Choose software that accommodates various scheduling needs, including shift changes, time-off requests, and real-time updates
- Mobile accessibility: Opt for apps that offer mobile compatibility, allowing employees and managers to access schedules, make changes, and communicate on the go 📱
- Integration capabilities: Check for integration with other essential tools, such as payroll, time tracking, and communication platforms, to enable overall workforce management
- Automated scheduling: Consider tools that use smart algorithms for automated scheduling, helping to optimize shifts based on employee availability, skills, and preferences 🗓️
- Compliance and regulations: Ensure the software helps you stay compliant with labor laws and regulations, helping you avoid legal issues related to scheduling and employee rights
- Cost-effectiveness: Consider the overall cost of the app, including any subscription fees or additional charges, and weigh it against the value and features it brings to your organization
- Employee empowerment: Choose apps that empower employees by allowing them to input preferences, request time off, and manage their schedules within defined parameters 💪
The 10 Best WhenToWork Alternatives to Use in 2024
Here are the top 10 tools that will be worthy alternatives to WhenToWork. Explore their features, limitations, and pricing to pick the ideal one.
With Deputy, you get an all-in-one employee management platform backed by efficient scheduling, time and attendance tracking, and wage and hour compliance. The best part? It has an easy-to-use employee app and integrates with payroll, POS (Point of Sale), HR systems, and more via API/webhooks. 📊
A great WhenToWork alternative, Deputy has introduced new features on its platform, like Deputy Hire’s integration with Indeed. You can use it to publish your job to Indeed and promote it before potential applicants, all within Deputy Hire.
Deputy best features
- Organize teams in minutes and reduce unnecessary costs
- Capture accurate timesheets for payrolls
- Track important workforce data
- Simplify compliance with wage and hour laws using smart tools
- Limited non-English languages for the interface
- GPS difficulties with large and multi-location operations
- Free Trial: For up to 31 days
- Scheduling: $4.50/user per month
- Time & Attendance: $4.50/user per month
- Premium: $6/user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Deputy ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (240+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (680+ reviews)
7Shifts is a restaurant scheduling software that simplifies team management to boost performance for managers. It offers an easy ‘drag n’ drop scheduler’ and customizable templates. By enabling managers to prepare and publish employee schedules within minutes, the tool frees them to focus on more important activities.
If you’re in the restaurant business looking to expand branches, 7Shifts can be a great WhenToWork alternative. 👨🍳
This software integrates all stages of the employee lifecycle in a restaurant, from hiring, training, scheduling, and payment to retention and engagement.
7Shifts best features
- Reduce time spent on scheduling with a drag-and-drop schedule builder
- Integrate scheduling with a POS and payroll systems for efficiency
- Save on labor costs with its Optimal Labor tool
- Lower employee turnover with engagement statistics for each location
- Collect, divide, and distribute tips to FOH (Front of House) and BOH (Back of House) staff with a Tip Pooling feature
- Inability to change preset time frames. You need to enter shifts manually
- Limited mobile app analytics
- Comp: Free
- Entrée: $29.99 per month/location
- The Works: $69.99 per month/location
- Gourmet: $135 per month/location
7Shifts ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (90+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,130+ reviews)
3. Buddy Punch
Buddy Punch can help manage your entire workforce quickly and efficiently. As an HR tool, it helps you stay on top of time off, attendance, and overtime.
Managers can create employee schedules based on role, location, employee availability, and more. And employees can clock in/out on the web or mobile app. For employees who forget to clock out, an auto-scheduling feature can punch them out when their schedule ends.
You can also integrate various invoice, scheduling, and payroll processing tools and third-party apps into the tool. It’s most notable for its geofencing feature that records the exact time and place of the employees’ work.
Buddy Punch’s best features
- Track time or swap shifts using an all-in-one time tracking solution
- Integrate multiple punching options like pin codes, QR codes, and facial recognition
- Export reports in Excel or PDF to analyze where you can save labor costs
Buddy Punch limitations
- Users have reported difficulty in correcting wrong punch-ins or punch-outs
- Lacks an online timer to track billable hours
Buddy Punch pricing
- Standard: $3.99/user per month
- Pro: $4.99/user per month
- Premium: $6.99/user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
*$19 base fee applicable per month on the first 3 plans
Buddy Punch ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (920+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (220+ reviews)
A cloud-based employee scheduling software, Findmyshift allows you to time-clock, add shift reminders, and manage timesheets for employees. It monitors real-time analytics and disperses payroll calculations as well.
Using Findmyshift, you can cut out substantial scheduling paperwork and manage employee work hours seamlessly. Record time off directly on your staff rota, blocking staff off to avoid any scheduling conflicts. You can also manage time off requests from your staff directly alongside the rota.
Users appreciate Findmyshift’s real-time collaboration capabilities, which let managers and employees communicate, manage shifts, and make changes through the app.
Findmyshift best features
- Generate easy-to-understand reports
- Adopt the scheduler with minimal training, as it feels like a spreadsheet
- Set automated notifications and reminders
- Limited features on the mobile app
- Fewer integrations with payroll platforms
- Free: For teams of 5 or less
- Starter: $25/team per month
- Business: $40/team per month
- Enterprise: $77/team per month
Findmyshift ratings and reviews
- G2: Not enough reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (950+ reviews)
Wageloch commits to making your job as an HR manager easier so you can concentrate on making a real difference. This all-in-one rostering and payroll platform measures time and tracks attendance, provides reports and analytics, and offers local support to businesses across multiple locations.
Easily compare clock time with rostered time for accurate wage calculation; manage budgeting, penalties, and job costing on a single platform; and eliminate human error with smart HR capabilities, including fingerprint and GPS attendance.
Wageloch best features
- Track wage percentage data to cap costs
- Make accurate budgeting decisions through pay plug-ins
- Let your team access rosters through email and SMS
- Rostering software lacks employee onboarding
- Some users have reported errors with GPS tracking
- Workforce Management software (only): Starts at $107 ex.GST per month per location
- Workforce Management with HR System: Starts at $139 ex.GST per month per location
Wageloch ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (220+ reviews)
Calendly is a fully automated meeting scheduling platform. This WhenToWork alternative eliminates the back-and-forth in meeting planning for all users across the organization (and even outside it).
You can share a personal scheduling link so others can book appointments/meetings on your calendar. You can choose among various appointment types, set buffer times between meetings, and allow reminders and automated confirmations for meetings booked.
It integrates with popular calendars like Office 365, Google, and iCloud.You can customize the platform and introduce tools specific to your industry and departments.
This all-in-one platform enables you to build relationships, hire candidates, schedule appointments, close deals, and grow your business faster.
Calendly best features
- Set up internal and external meetings easily
- Generate booking links based on various event types
- Integrate with popular calendar platforms
- Access meeting analytics and IT-oriented features
- Lack of shift scheduling, time tracking, and team management features
- Limited customization in the free version
- Not everyone is comfortable sharing calendar information
- Standard: $10/user per month
- Teams: $16/user per month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Calendly ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,300+ reviews)
7. QuickBooks Time
Formerly known as TSheets, QuickBooks Time provides on-the-move time tracking tools to help you manage people and projects, helping you save money on the payroll. 💸
Easily track time based on tasks or activities and assign to projects. Manage billable time rates seamlessly by adjusting rates based on user, role, task, project assignments, etc. You can also create rules that enforce compliance with corporate time and expense policies across the organization.
QuickBooks Time’s best features
- Track, submit, and approve time from anywhere using the QuickBooks Workforce app
- Get complete visibility into who’s working on what
- Analyze time data, track trends, and gain insights into workforce productivity
- Foresee costs and plan efficiently through business insights
QuickBooks Time limitations
- Some users may find the platform’s features and settings complex to start with
- Users have reported discrepancies with clock-in and clock-out sync in the backend
QuickBooks Time pricing
- Simple Start: $30/month
- Essentials: $60/month
- Plus: $90/month
- Advanced: $200/month
QuickBooks Time ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (1,400+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (6,000+ reviews)
Going a step further than other WhenTowork Alternatives on this list, HROne optimizes 127 HR processes in one platform. Not just an employee scheduling tool, HROne is a complete human resource management system (HRMS) that automates the employee lifecycle—from performance to payroll and more.
One of its biggest USPs lies in attendance management—you can leverage it to auto-calculate employees’ paydays, time offs, holidays, and more.
Another strong suit of the tool is its zero-touch payroll feature. Once you have configured pay groups as per organizational structure and assigned salary structures to employees, HROne steps in with an automated CTC calculator to process error-free payroll in one tap. The automatic payroll scheduler also guarantees timely payouts to keep employees happy.
HROne best features
- Access a centralized database of employee information
- Allow employees to access and mark attendance when working on the field or out of the office for work
- Manage salary calculations, tax deductions, and employee benefits
- Get reporting and analytics tools for insights into workforce trends
- The abundance of customization options may lead to complexity
- Users sometimes encounter limitations in customer support
- Contact for pricing
HROne ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (990+ reviews)
- Capterra: Not enough reviews
An all-in-one timesheet tool and workforce management software, Hubstaff is appreciated for monitoring in-office and even remote teams of workers with actionable productivity data, multi-device time tracking, and team analytics for your business. It prevents payroll headaches and provides intuitive budgets for profitable projects. 🌟
When you use Hubstaff to create shift schedules, you’ll be notified about late, missed, or abandoned shifts automatically. You’ll also get a daily email summary of who worked when and where, eliminating the need for manual check-ins.
Whatever industry your business caters to, Hubstaff covers all employment types and integrates with your existing stack.
Hubstaff best features
- Monitor the time spent on tasks, projects, and client work using the time-tracking feature
- Integrate activity monitoring tools, such as screenshots and app/URL tracking
- Monitor work locations through GPS tracking and enhance accountability
- Generate productivity reports, allowing managers to make data-driven decisions
- New users can face a feature overload
- Activity monitoring tools can cause privacy concerns
- Starter: $4.99/user per month
- Grow: $7.50/user per month
- Team: $10/user per month
- Enterprise: $25/user per month
Hubstaff ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (430+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1,420+ reviews)
10. Ceridian Dayforce
Ceridian Dayforce is an HCM (Human Capital Management) software that combines multiple workforce management capabilities like labor planning, time & attendance, payroll, and scheduling.
Managers can build schedules and assign shifts based on budgets, demand forecasts, employee skills, and availability. Employees can request time off, swap shifts, and bid for open shifts through its self-service portal
It empowers your people through task management and absence monitoring. It’s a great tool for managing shifts while staying within the target budget.
Ceridian Dayforce’s best features
- Use the bar view to quickly identify when resources are overscheduled, under-scheduled, or idle
- Set scheduling rules to simplify complex scheduling scenarios
- Make data-driven decisions through AI and machine learning tools
- Maintain pay and scheduling compliance with labor laws
- Access and audit data continuously throughout the pay cycle
Ceridian Dayforce limitations
- Limited features on the mobile app
- Some users report integration difficulties with existing systems and third-party apps
Ceridian Dayforce pricing
- Custom pricing
Ceridian Dayforce ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (780+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (940+ reviews)
Other Employee Management Tools
We hope this list of WhenToWork alternatives will offer you the best options for employee scheduling software and applications. But if you’re looking for a comprehensive HR and employee management tool, they may not be the best choices.
While ClickUp may not have core scheduling features, its flexibility implies it has broader HR applications—onboarding, goal-setting, time-tracking, resource allocation, project management, employee training and development, attendance management, PTO tracking, and more.
ClickUp’s all-in-one HR management platform will help you manage your dream team with the utmost ease and finesse.
- Custom Views: Track employee performance, engagement, and development with customizable views that make it easy to align and monitor your workforce. Set broad Goals in ClickUp for all HR processes such as recruiting, training, evaluation, and others. Then use ClickUp Tasks to break them down, assign them to the right people in your HR team, and organize them the way you like with flexible sorting, filtering, and grouping options
- ClickUp Dashboards: Gain real-time visibility into employee workload, time tracking, task completion rates, and more with customizable dashboards and reports. Motivate employees to achieve the KPIs by showing progress over time.
- ClickUp Docs: Create centralized handbooks, employee directories, and HR policies with Docs. Work together with collaborative editing or adjust permissions and access controls to keep communication between managers and direct reports confidential
Customize your HR processes with ClickUp
ClickUp is one app that automates your entire employee management cycle your way.
Build your own HRMS inside ClickUp with customizable features including but not limited to
- Custom Fields to track employee and candidate info, add attachments for documents, links for external resources, and more
- Custom Statuses and ClickUp Automation for managing workflows across recruitment, onboarding, and development
- Reminders for interviews, follow-up communication, employee reviews, and more
- HR templates within ClickUp to fast-track and streamline all of your HR activities
Example: Use the ClickUp Attendance Sheet Template to monitor team involvement and engagement
- Customizable forms: Make data-driven decisions by organizing polls, surveys, and feedback rounds using request forms you can build from scratch. Track each employee’s feedback to track trends, mine important insights, and empower your human resources to the best of their talents
No matter what your HR use case, ClickUp has got you covered with a powerhouse of features. Move candidates quickly through hiring pipelines, empower new hires to make an impact faster with simplified onboarding, and streamline training with trackable tasks, docs, and comments for collaboration and feedback.
ClickUp is an ideal fit for small businesses with tight budgets and highly profitable conglomerates with thousands of employees alike! 🤞
ClickUp best features
- Access multiple templates for HR functions
- Customize your HR system to reduce manual busywork
- Connect with 1,000+ tools with native and third-party apps
- Access bulk of the premium features for free
- Use HR analytics to set up, monitor, and manage your KPIs
- Brainstorm and improve your writing with ClickUp AI. Get advanced writing suggestions tailored to your role and use case
- There can be a steep learning curve for new users
- Primarily a project management and team productivity platform for HR use cases, not a specialized employee scheduling solution
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,700+ reviews)
Go Beyond WhenToWork Alternatives
In the times we are living in, quality matters more than quantity. So help yourself cut through the noise and focus on key progress factors with employee management tools that do the work for you.
Once you’ve selected the ideal employee scheduling app, combine it with an all-in-one solution like ClickUp to centralize recruiting, onboarding, training, and managing your workforce.
Eliminate manual processes and spreadsheet chaos by leveraging ClickUp’s automation and real-time visibility into employee workloads, schedules, and development.
With powerful HR functionality and productivity features, ClickUp enables HR teams to focus less on clerical tasks and more on employee experiences, retention strategies, and workforce optimization.