From task management to teamwork optimization, standard operating procedures (SOPs) can reduce errors, explain current workflows, and ensure a basic level of quality control.
Combine it all and add a sprinkle of work prioritization tools, and SOPs can save money for the entire organization.
But of course, you need to know how to create these document processes first. That’s where finding an SOP software solution comes into play.
In this guide, we’ll cover the top SOP software for documenting, organizing, and optimizing your business processes.
What Should You Look for in SOP Software?
The best SOP software makes the creation process easy. It helps your end-to-end process management with a few features you can use in your evaluation process:
- Ready-to-use templates: A set of established SOP templates to implement without much setup
- Helpful tutorials: Straightforward project and procedure documentation that allows for more seamless business operations
- Collaboration: Cloud-based knowledge sharing that makes your knowledge base and an overview of your work processes available to all your employees
- Integration: A direct connection to your task management software that allows for integrations, such as automated task reminders based on your SOPs
- Easy SOP maintenance: The ability to easily create operations policies for employee onboarding and overall knowledge management
- Price: Free SOP software features to test functions before committing to paid plans
Above all, it needs to make implementing and sharing SOPs simple for your organization. The good news: Most of the top SOP software solutions below share these must-have features.
The 10 Best Standard Operating Procedure Software in 2024
ClickUp is an all-in-one project management software designed for teams of all sizes and industries. What sets ClickUp apart is its ability to create version-controlled documents for core processes while serving as a centralized hub for company-wide productivity and collaboration.
And with ClickUp AI, it requires less effort to maintain consistency and quality as processes change over time. Generate quick summaries, get pre-formatted content, and elevate your team’s writing in just a few clicks.
ClickUp also integrates with thousands of other work apps, consolidating your processes and data into one system!
ClickUp best features
- ClickUp Docs enable procedure documentation with both dynamic and static documents for effective version control
- A comprehensive library of SOP software templates that include ClickUp’s SOP Template, statements of work, and process maps
- Its direct integration with ClickUp’s task management solution turns your SOPs into easily tracked and repeatable processes
- An easy-to-use interface makes your SOPs available for all team members
- Defined and segmented user roles make the SOP software usable for everyone—including organizational leaders
- The free version can be limiting for some advanced SOP software features and storage space
- Some users are not fans of the interface, especially the color and font choices of the software
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $5/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Business Plus: $19/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace member per month
ClickUp ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,000+ reviews)
Bonus: Check out 10 Free Technical Documentation Templates
It may primarily be a training platform, but Coassemble can hold its own in the SOP software realm.
Specifically designed for small businesses, this tool works particularly well for foundational documents, such as a team charter. Custom and templated modules allow your team members to read core procedure documents, simple checklists for working together, and other documents.
Coassemble best features
- Pre-built training modules allow new members of the organization to learn about your standard operating procedure and other established team knowledge that will benefit their work
- Cohort-level user segmentations for creating checklists and modules align with the existing knowledge of the platform’s users
- Flexible permissions structures ensure the right people have the right access to the right SOPs
- Integration with your existing tech stack allows you to assign tasks and communicate your digital SOPs more easily
- Its visual emphasis makes implementing standard operating procedures engaging for users
- It is not true standard operating procedure software, meaning you’ll need those integrations in your efforts to build and communicate your standardized processes
- Uploading content, especially visual content, such as images, can be complex within the software
- Bulk enrollment of new users may be complex, resulting in longer and more repetitive tasks for admins
- The platform does not optimize version control on the backend, complicating SOP management in larger organizations
- Pro 10: $50/month
- Pro 20: $120/month
- Premium 20: $160/month
- Pro Unlimited: Custom quote required
Coassemble ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (166 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (34 reviews)
Here, we have our first dedicated SOP software. SweetProcess specifically helps you monitor and improve your processes, monitor responsibilities, and manage tasks accordingly.
The goal of the software is exactly what the right SOP software needs to accomplish: creating an online, operational manual for everyone to access that allows you to create SOPs, streamline your daily tasks, and make fewer mistakes in the SOP creation process and ongoing implementation.
SweetProcess best features
- It easily documents your procedures, policies, and processes in a simple dashboard overview
- The software helps your team implement your SOPs through simple workflows and automated tasks
- The software creates a public or private knowledge base to communicate any SOP others need to know about
- It sets teams up within your user roles to streamline communication and task assignments
- The software provides free templates for anything from events to fire drills, compliance workflows, and more
- This dedicated software makes integrating it with broader business management tools more challenging
- This platform limits imports to Word documents and visuals, leaving other file types behind
- Adding teams to a process is not necessarily intuitive and requires manual work within the software
- $99/month for teams with up to 20 active members
- $5/month extra for every additional team member beyond that limit
SweetProcess ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (5 reviews)
- Capterra: No reviews yet
Tallyfy is a beneficial SOP software that helps you document and automate any tasks within your organization. From forms to approvals, onboarding, and even client-facing tasks, it’s earned its place as one of the top SOP software options out there.
The concept behind the software is simple. Capture your most important and best SOPs in a single system and create blueprints so everyone knows what to do. Then create self-automating processes to do your work right every time.
Tallyfy best features
- No coding is necessary. Tallyfy’s approach to SOP enhances collaborative efforts, in part because it’s so simple
- Its enhanced transparency allows everyone in the organization to see not only your SOPs but also how the platform executes them daily
- Its fast and effective customer support helps you customize your own SOP software platform using the Tallyfy platform
- Task automation based on your SOPs turns theoretical best practices into real work improvements
- The user interface may be a little slow at times, especially within complex documents, processes, and SOPs
- Task management is relatively surface-level, as Tallyfy cannot manage more complex processes within your team
- AI suggestions can help to improve workflows but can also become overbearing if you already know what types of processes you’re looking to build
- Tallyfy Docs: $5/month per user
- Tallyfy Pro: $30/month per user
Tallyfy ratings and reviews
- G2: 5/5 (3 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (11 reviews)
5. Way We Do
This software is a tool for large organizations, franchises, and other multi-location businesses where communicating your SOPs can be challenging. As a result, its features tend to lean on the in-depth side, from integration for video and presentations to complex flowcharts.
Way We Do best features
- Ready-made SOP templates simplify building your library from the ground up
- Acceptance workflows enable organizational leaders to sign off on new SOPs and help you verify that different members of your team have read what they need to
- Activated checklists for new and established members of the organization to keep track of their training and reading materials
- A personalized dashboard includes checklist items, tasks due, and new SOPs to familiarize yourself with
Way We Do limitations
- It is relatively expensive compared to some of the other options on this list
- There is a long learning curve to the complexity of the software, in part because of its optimization for larger and more complex organizations
- The user interface in workflows is not always intuitive
- Training documentation is sometimes outdated and refers to older processes in learning the software
Way We Do pricing
- Entry: $99/month per 10 team users
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Way We Do ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (8 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.9/5 (11 reviews)
Trainual is knowledge transfer software designed primarily for new and ongoing employee training.
At its best, it’s a virtual and interactive training manual you can use for sharing organizational knowledge. It is all the better if you also use it as SOP software.
Trainual best features
- Its intuitive process transforms existing SOPs into step-by-step training documentation for your teams
- Role assignments manage both ownership of individual SOPs and training responsibilities
- It can easily embed external content, such as PDFs, GIFs, and videos
- Its extensive integration library of tools includes Loom, Slack, and a variety of project management software
- The focus on training and onboarding somewhat limits the ability to use Trainual as a dedicated SOP software
- Logins can be complex, with various modules requiring different logins rather than a more centralized solution
- This platform contains somewhat limited knowledge test options compared to other training software
- Train: $8/month per user
- Scale: $12/month per user
Trainual ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (400+ reviews)
Designed for agencies, ProcessKit helps anyone working with external clients ease onboarding. This software creates SOPs specifically for onboarding new clients, allowing agencies and similar businesses to follow those steps easily.
ProcessKit best features
- Simple client onboarding process templates help any agency start quickly
- Conditional logic in building workflows allows for more customized situations without compromising automation
- Its intuitive Kanban view tracks multiple client onboarding without confusion
- Task delegation involves multiple members of your team in executing your onboarding SOPs
- The customizable nature of the software means the initial setup process will take significant time
- Its features exclusively relate to client onboarding, limiting its use as broader SOP software
- One Plan: $49/month for up to three members, $19/month for each additional member, and unlimited guest accounts, like agency contacts
ProcessKit ratings and reviews
- G2: 5/5 (1 review)
- Capterra: 5/5 (2 reviews)
Organizations in manufacturing survive or fail based on their optimization of and compliance with individual SOPs. Dozuki comes to the rescue.
With SOP software designed specifically for this industry, Dozuki makes manufacturing simpler.
Dozuki best features
- Its powerful guide creation process can handle even the most technical documents in the manufacturing industry
- Its scalable training programs bring your SOPs into the field
- Its integrated translation features for multinational organizations bring their SOPs abroad
- It has a complex and somewhat limited ability to control access to different SOPs depending on user roles
- As complex software, onboarding is not always intuitive for new users
- It can integrate restrictions in videos and images into individual documents
- Contact for pricing
Dozuki ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (12 reviews)
JobRouter builds its value proposition on three pillars: process automation, document management, and data management. This platform sounds like the perfect tool to double as standard operating procedure software.
JobRouter best features
- Its fast and intuitive implementation allows you to start using the tool within days
- It offers top-notch customer service for new and existing users
- Building forms and processes is flexible, especially in going beyond the GUI to change templates at the core
- It is technically not SOP software, requiring some customization to work for this purpose
- Loading times can be slow, especially when switching between different features in the platform
- Contact for pricing
JobRouter ratings and reviews
- G2: No reviews to date
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (11 reviews)
10. Lean Power
Lean Power lets you take paper and PDF work processes and packages and convert them into digital versions and computer-based procedures. As such, it can work well as an SOP software tool to optimize your work instructions, saving labor and time.
Lean Power best features
- Its desktop app allows you to work outside of your browser and even in offline mode
- Its streamlined digitization process works especially well in a legacy industry reliant on paper instructions, such as manufacturing
- Real-time monitoring and analytics help you understand how your team implements SOPs in practice
Lean Power limitations
- Its purpose is not to build new digital SOPs within the software but to focus on digitizing existing SOPs
- Digitization is in English only, making it less usable in multinational operations
Lean Power pricing
- Contact for pricing
Lean Power ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.3/5 (3 reviews)
- Capterra: No reviews to date
Build a Standard Operating Procedure in ClickUp
Creating and documenting standard operating procedures is a great way to stay up-to-date and informed on individual and team workflows. With ClickUp, you can easily store SOPs in one central location, keeping everyone in the loop.
This method also allows for fast access to important information and instructions whenever needed, making it easy for team members to stay on track with their tasks.
Ready to get started? Create a free account today!