The right software makes all the difference when it comes to your team members’ ability to focus on their roles, simplify simple tasks, and manage their time. This is especially true in the construction industry, where it’s critical to optimize your team’s talents on construction projects in the field.
There are a ton of tools to assist with this challenge, but many are designed for large corporations with deep pockets. The solution? Construction project management software created with small businesses in mind. An equally powerful tool that’s tailored to your needs, goals, and budget.
To help you reach the best results faster, we’ve compiled a list of the best solutions for small businesses in search of the right construction project management software. We’ll compare key features, limitations, pricing, reviews, and more to help you make the most informed decision for your small business needs. 🧰
- What is Construction Management Software for Small Businesses?
- What Should You Look for in Construction Management Software for Small Businesses?
- The 10 Best Construction Management Software for Small Businesses to Use in 2023
What is Construction Management Software for Small Businesses?
Construction management software is any tool or app that allows teams to understand their goals, timelines, deadlines, and requirements. These apps use popular project management features (that you may already know and love) to ensure teams have the correct budget, resources, and materials ready.
The best construction management tools give project managers one collaborative place to work from when they’re on the go—an online platform to oversee their business processes, safety, budgets, reporting, and client communication. Adopting this software should make your construction project manager’s work life significantly easier, and be the most effective solution for simplifying processes and streamlining workflows for an overall better team and client experience.
What Should You Look for in Construction Management Software for Small Businesses?
There are a ton of options to choose from when it comes to construction project management software—even for small businesses. Some tools are highly customizable and can align with any construction project, while others are tailored to a specific purpose or business need—like order management software or construction time-tracking software.
As you compare different options, consider:
- Key features: Does the software tool have the right features? Does it go beyond your expectations?
- Functionality: Does it serve the purpose you need, like procurement management or manufacturing scheduling?
- Views: Can you view and organize your projects in the way you work best?
- Customization: Can you customize the software to match your requirements?
- Ease of use: Is it a user-friendly software? Could your entire team learn it quickly?
- Pricing: Is the software affordable? Does the cost become prohibitive as you scale?
- Support: Can you contact the support team easily when you need it?
- Ratings and reviews: What do other users say about the product experience?
Your needs are likely to be as unique as your business, so take some time to consider what you truly need so you can find the most relevant software for you.
The 10 Best Construction Management Software for Small Businesses to Use in 2023
For small businesses, finding the best construction management software is a must-have if you want to stay organized, manage risks, and serve your clients in the best possible way. To help you find the right tool for the job, here’s our shortlist of the best construction software for small businesses in 2023.
ClickUp is the ultimate all-in-one project management tool construction teams rely on to collaborate, organize, plan, and execute work of any kind—no matter the size of your team or budget. With a rich set of features and over 15 ways to visualize your workflows, ClickUp is the ideal solution for construction management teams juggling tight timelines, various shipments, contractors, clients, and more.
Among these dynamic views, you’ll find Gantt, Timeline, Calendar, and Workload view—perfect for construction project managers prioritizing key milestones and goals while balancing their team’s action items. Plus, teams in the field can depend on ClickUp’s unique Map view to manage location-specific tasks and see all of your job sites at a glance.
You can also create estimates, purchase orders, and schedules for every project with calculations in Custom Fields. Even include details like budgets, job site locations, and subcontractor details, so you can filter, group, and report on your work.
To get started in ClickUp even faster, browse its vast Template Library and choose from over 1,000 pre-built assets for any use case, including multiple development plan templates and the Construction Project Management Template.
ClickUp best features
- Build custom workflows for your construction processes and projects
- Manage general contractors, specialty contractors, and team members’ time and tasks
- Review and annotate submittals, requests for information (RFIs), drawings, and take-offs
- Use the Board view and Calendar view to make ClickUp your ultimate construction scheduling software to track project progress
- Build a CRM database of your project clients and partners
- Manage your sales pipeline with easy-to-customize workflows
- Streamline task management in the same place as your project goals and resources
- Improve team communication between the field and the office
- Create and share ClickUp Docs and files with team members
- Use filters to stay up to date on task activity and status changes
- There can be a bit of a learning curve adjusting to so many key features
- Not all views are available in the mobile app yet
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,900+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (3,800+ reviews)
CoConstruct is a construction project management tool designed especially for home builders and remodelers. Teams and solo business owners can use the tool to organize projects, communicate with clients and partners, and manage their operations in one place. ✅
CoConstruct best features
- Create and manage construction projects with a streamlined project planning system
- Track projects from beginning to end with to-do lists and schedules
- Manage pricing for fixed-price and open-book jobs seamlessly
- Manage timesheets, and invoice clients directly
- CoConstruct is designed for homebuilding teams, so other types of construction teams might prefer a different tool
- Some users suggest it’s difficult to export data to use in other software tools
- Essential: Contact for pricing
- Advanced: Contact for pricing
- Complete: Contact for pricing
CoConstruct ratings and reviews
- G2: 4/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (800+ reviews)
3. Contractor Foreman
Contractor Foreman bills itself as “#1 for contractors” looking for affordable and easy-to-use business management software. Teams can use this construction project management software for project, finance, people, resources, and document management. 📝
Contractor Foreman best features
- Oversee projects with timelines, schedules, and Gantt charts
- Generate estimates and send invoices to clients
- Manage contracts and communication with subcontractors and partners
- Organize files, photos, and equipment logs
Contractor Foreman limitations
- Some users report difficulties using the software on browsers like Safari
- It can be overwhelming for new users and for solo construction workers, according to some customers
Contractor Foreman pricing
- Basic: $49/month for one user
- Standard: $79/month for three users
- Plus: $125/month for eight users
- Pro: $166/month for 15 users
- Unlimited: $249/month for unlimited users
Contractor Foreman ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (500+ reviews)
Procore is a construction project management software designed to make it easier for teams to manage projects, minimize risk, and deliver successful projects. The tool combines project and financial management with quality and safety features, so you can manage risk in the same place. ⚒️
Procore best features
- Organize on-site and off-site project teams with easy-to-use project management
- Use real-time data to monitor and mitigate risks
- Get an overview of current financials, and run reports
- Understand the full picture of a project with information logs
- Pricing plans aren’t publicly listed, so it’s hard to initially compare value against other options you’re considering
- Some users suggest the way settings are managed can be confusing
- Contact for custom pricing
Procore ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (2,100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (2,600+ reviews)
5. Autodesk Build
Autodesk Build is a construction project management software tool designed to create more streamlined workflows between your office and the field. Project teams can use the tool to manage projects, quality assurance, safety and risk, and budgets and costs. 👷
Autodesk Build best features
- View the latest project schedules to avoid miscommunication and errors
- Use custom views to create filters and see only the most relevant tasks
- Track issues, changes, and resolutions with built-in quality management features
- Monitor real-time costs against your initial scope by linking field data to your budgets
Autodesk Build limitations
- Setting up projects and assigning user rights and options can be complicated, according to some customers
- Some users report that learning the software can take some time, especially for those who aren’t used to this type of software
Autodesk Build pricing
- 550 Sheets: $495/year
- 5,000 Sheets: $870/year
- Unlimited Sheets: $1,625/year
- Unlimited Users: Contact for pricing
Autodesk Build ratings and reviews
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
Buildertrend is a construction management software platform for commercial teams, contractors, home builders, and remodelers. The software tool is designed to streamline and organize projects and processes, so contractors can focus on their role. 🏠
Buildertrend best features
- Oversee projects and track progress with built-in project scheduling
- Understand what’s happening with daily logs
- Track your change orders, selections, and invoices from one place
- Streamline and centralize client communications with a dedicated client portal
- Some users report frustration with the time-tracking feature, especially on mobile devices
- There can be a steep learning curve, and users report there are frequent updates to adapt to
- Essential: $99 for the first month, then $399/month
- Advanced: $399 for the first month, then $699/month
- Complete: $699 for the first month, then $999/month
Buildertrend ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (1,600+ reviews)
Float is a resource management and workforce planning software tool that makes it easier for teams to plan capacity and schedule work. The software combines people and project management into one interface, giving managers an overview of tasks, budgets, project phases, work hours, and capacity. 🌻
Float best features
- Organize projects with milestones, phases, and dependencies
- Use capacity forecasting to identify potential challenges
- Monitor compared vs. actual spending on construction projects
- Log timesheets and track work hours for your team members
- Float isn’t specifically designed for construction teams, though it can be a useful tool for them
- Some users report that the mobile app isn’t as user-friendly as the browser-based version
- Starter: $7.50/month per user
- Pro: $12.50/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Float ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (1,200+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (1,500+ reviews)
RedTeam is a construction project management software that offers several software tools, including Fieldlens for real-time field collaboration, RedTeam Go for project management, and RedTeam Flex for construction management. Together these tools allow construction teams to organize projects, finances, fieldwork, and reporting. 📊
RedTeam best features
- Move all your data to one place for easier project management
- Create repeatable processes to reduce the opportunity for risk
- Automate more than 100+ tasks with built-in automation
- Share reports and financial updates with clients in a user-friendly way
- There can be a learning curve while adjusting to the software, according to some users
- Some customers have reported slow servers and issues with freezing while editing
- RedTeam Fieldlens: From $39/month per user
- RedTeam Go: From $450/month for unlimited users
- RedTeam Flex: From $450/month for unlimited users
RedTeam ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (80+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (100+ reviews)
9. Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate
Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate is an all-in-one business management and accounting software tool that combines financial, service operations, and project management. Construction professionals can use the software to oversee the entire construction process alongside their financial management. 📈
Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate best features
- Track assignments, work orders, quotes, equipment, and site history
- Organize documents, and go paper-free
- Use project management features to identify issues and manage risk
- Streamline service operations to provide a better client experience
Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate limitations
- Some users suggest that the software’s reporting options are limited and hard to customize
- The system can be unintuitive and difficult to navigate, some users report
Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate pricing
- Contact for pricing
Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.5/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4/5 (500+ reviews)
Fieldwire is a construction management solution specifically for job-site management. Construction companies can use the software to coordinate team members, assign tasks, track performance, and reduce the risks involved with being on-site. 🏗️
Fieldwire best features
- Keep on-site and office-based teams in sync with a central system
- Create work schedules, and assign tasks to team members
- Track which team member worked on specific tasks or job sites
- Create and send customized reports that include all your project details
- Fieldwire is designed for job-site management, so teams would benefit from a more general project management system elsewhere
- Some users wish it was easier to compile weekly reports on job sites and projects
- Pro: $54/month per user
- Business: $74/month per user
- Business Plus: $89/month per user
Fieldwire ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (80+ reviews)
Manage Your Projects More Effectively With These Construction Management Software Tools
There’s the ideal tool for every construction team on this list, whether you want to manage risks on job sites or coordinate your team members and resources from one central place. There are also plenty of all-in-one software options that streamline the entire project lifecycle.
As one of the leading project management tools for teams across industries, ClickUp is our clear top choice. Its features are fully customizable and flexible enough to handle even the most complex projects. Plus, its ever-growing Template library and 1,000+ integrations help construction firms get their projects off the ground faster.
Try ClickUp for free today to experience a better way to run your construction projects. 🙌