The secret to smooth-operating architectural projects? Planning, planning, and more planning.
Having your finger on the pulse of your project progress, resources, schedule, and setbacks is vital to delivering on your promises to all clients, stakeholders, and team members—to the point where it’s absolutely necessary to seek help from powerful project management software designed to help architects work efficiently.
There are tons of benefits to using project management software with features to help teams increase productivity, but architects must look for additional functionality that speaks to their unique challenges, processes, and work styles.
But how do you pick?
Lean on this detailed list of the top 10 project management tools for architects to find the best tool for your needs. Take note of every must-have feature to look for in high-quality software, and compare app breakdowns, drawbacks, pricing, and more.
What Should You Look for In Project Management Software for Architects?
There are a ton of functional tools on the market today, but each one is tailored to specific use cases.
For architects, schedule management, reporting, and collaboration tools are key. But what do those features look like on paper?
Here are the top five non-negotiable features to look for in your next software for project management for architects:
- Multiple project views to visualize your timeline, tasks, and schedule
- Custom sharing and collaboration features so clients can access, view, comment, or edit materials as needed
- Time tracking and billable time calculations to ensure your invoices are accurate and prompt
- Instant reporting and milestone tracking to visually convey your progress toward completion
- Tons of integrations to extend the functionality of your project management tool and bring more context into every task
The 10 Best Project Management Software for Architects
With your budget, team, and must-have features in mind, use this list to guide your software search.
Follow along as we dive into the top project management tools for architects to find the software that best fits your needs.
Successful architectural projects require careful planning and organization. But it can be difficult to keep track of all the moving pieces in a project—from materials to timelines, estimates to checklists.
Whether you’re managing a small renovation or a large-scale build, a productivity platform like ClickUp helps architects stay on top of their tasks from start to finish!
ClickUp takes the guesswork out of project management with powerful features like Gantt charts, Calendar view, and process automation. You can create task dependencies with just a few clicks, as well as assign tasks to team members and contractors anywhere in the world.
Plus, ClickUp easily integrates with other software and apps so you can manage work from a single, dynamic workspace!
ClickUp best features
- Over 15 project views, including Calendar, List, Board, Gantt, and the unique Workload view
- Fully transparent platform to align team members on project progress analytics, goals, priorities, and time
- Detailed Start Dates, Due Dates, and Exact Times for accuracy when scheduling deadlines and Milestones
- Over 1,000 integrations to bring all relevant data and information into one platform
- Custom statuses and project Milestones to convey progress updates at a glance
- Custom timesheets, reports, and insights with time-tracking widgets
- Project Milestones for resource planning and scheduling
- Advanced time estimates to forecast your workweek
- Create Task Checklist Templates to speed up task creation. Check out our RACI matrix examples!
- Not all views are available in the mobile app—yet
- So many powerful collaboration tools can pose a learning curve for some users
- Free Forever Plan
- Unlimited Plan: $5/month per member
- Business Plan: $12/month per member
- Enterprise Plan: Contact Sales for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,500+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (5,400+reviews)
Monograph is a project management software designed to make architects’ lives easier. It streamlines the planning process by providing all the elements of project planning in one place, from scheduling and budgeting to meetings and to-do lists. Monograph also offers a shared company calendar so that everyone involved in a project can conveniently collaborate in the same space. Plus, each user can customize their interface to keep things digital and organized.
This project management software is best for phase-based projects. By dividing the work into smaller, more manageable phases in Monograph, you can better keep track of progress, identify areas that need further attention, and even spot potential problems before they become bigger issues. The goal is always to get the project completed faster while still maintaining the highest quality standards.
Monograph best features
- Time and expenses tracker through MoneyGantt
- In-app Timer to track billable and non-billable time
- Project Reports comparing free performance
- Resource and forecast staffing tools
- Lacks a variety of project views
- Time Log exports are limited to a CVS format
- Monograph starts at $40/user per month, billed annually
Monograph ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
- G2: 4.3/5 (2 reviews)
The next project management software for architects is Newforma. This software tool is specifically designed for architecture and engineering firms. It offers a wide range of features that streamline processes and boost productivity. With Newforma, architects can quickly access project materials, create timelines and task lists, store documents, share information with colleagues and collaborators, review design plans, and monitor progress in real-time. As a result, architects are easily able to stay on top of their projects and complete them on time.
Architects of all experience levels will find Newforma useful. Its intuitive interface makes it easy to set up and manage projects, while its advanced features give architects full control over the process. From managing bids and contractors to tracking change orders and project costs, Newforma helps keep things organized.
Newforma best features
- File server, SharePoint Online, BIM 360, and ProjectWise content accessible in a single view
- Submittals and RFI Dashboard to monitor overdue and upcoming items
- Outlook Add-in to drag and drop emails into a project folder
- Project Center to manage key document deliverables
- Newforma Plans App only supports Apple devices
- Limited PDF editing functionality
- Contact Newforma for details
Newforma ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 3.8/5 (8 reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (90+ reviews)
Outplanr is a powerful tool for managers and teams that allows them to turn mundane to-do lists into comprehensive action plans. With Outplanr, teams can set up projects quickly and easily by breaking down tasks into manageable steps. By seeing an entire task at once, teams can ensure they’re on the same page while avoiding confusion and productivity blockers.
Outplanr makes it easier to track progress by giving teams the ability to monitor their action plans in a visually appealing way. They can view an overview of all the tasks associated with each project, which helps them stay organized and updated on the team’s progress. Additionally, teams can adjust their schedule based on any changes or new developments, which gives them more control over their architectural project.
Outplanr best features
- Time tracking widget
- Upload widget to track the progress of file completion
- Actual vs estimates project completion times
- Native iOS, Android and MacOS, and Windows Desktop apps
- Lack of customization options in project views
- Limited native integrations
- Starts at $15/month for 3 people
Outplanr ratings and reviews
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: 4.3/5 (10+ reviews)
The ArchiSnapper project management software makes it easy to generate accurate field reports and collaborate with others on architectural projects. It’s a powerful solution that helps teams capture multiple dimensions of a job quickly, making sure all projects are accounted for. With its intuitive design, you can use the ArchiSnapper app to easily keep track of details about jobs, tasks, and other types of data.
For teams working remotely, ArchiSnapper helps keep everyone connected. It enables simple and efficient communication across departments and locations, with detailed status updates immediately available. Plus, you can also share documents with others, so everyone is always on the same page. Whether you’re managing a single project or multiple tasks across several locations, ArchiSnapper ensures that you’re producing accurate field reports and collaborating with your team quickly and effectively.
ArchiSnapper best features
- Customized field reports and punch lists
- Numbered pointers on plans to visualize location-based work
- Annotation functionality on drawings available in Web, iOS, and Android apps
- Email templates
- Expensive pricing plans compared to other tools
- Limited Gantt chart functions
- Starts at $29/month per user, billed annually
ArchiSnapper ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (40+ reviews)
- G2: N/A
Architectural project managers need an accounting tool that can keep their finances, project costs, and expenses up-to-date. Xledger is a great solution to streamline onsite work management and accounting operations. The user-friendly platform allows ease of access and a range of features designed to simplify the process.
Xledger allows architects to stay on top of their financial planning with a host of powerful analytics tools. Automated reports, customizable dashboards, and detailed forecasting are all possible with this robust platform. With Xledger, you’ll be able to make smarter decisions faster—enabling you to move quickly and efficiently toward goals.
Xledger best features
- 200+ predefined and standard reports
- Automated time and expense billing
- Xledger Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows phones
- Project costing, reporting, and follow-up on construction projects
- Limited ability to handle different levels of complex projects
- Lack of communication capabilities compare to other project management tools
- Contact Xledger for pricing plan details
Xledger ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (6 reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (2 reviews)
Heeros (formerly Taimer) is a project planning tool for teams that need a better way to stay on top of tasks, deadlines, and budgets. Teams can easily set up notifications to track progress and plan projects down to the last detail. By integrating into existing workflow systems like DocuSign, Google Calendar, and HubSpot, Heeros eliminates tedious tracking and boosts productivity to help architectural firms deliver projects faster.
Heeros is also focused on helping teams with resource scheduling. Gantt and Grid views show deadlines, workload, and capacity so project managers can plan with full transparency. For example, the Gantt view allows project managers to see the phases of a project timeline and plan dependencies.
Heeros best features
- Scheduling and resourcing with task prioritization
- Kanban boards for collaboration
- Built-in time track to budget, track, and assign hours based on team capacity
- Bills, purchase orders, and expenses management
- Limited ability to handle different work styles and preferences
- Project management is a paid feature under the Business plan
- Free plan
- Contact Heeros for paid plan details
Heeros ratings and reviews
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: N/A
Teamwork is a collaboration tool designed to help teams collaborate on projects. Its easy-to-use interface allows members of a team to assign tasks, set deadlines and goals, track progress, and communicate with each other in one central hub. With Teamwork, leaders can also access real-time reporting so they can stay up-to-date on their team’s progress.
Teamwork streamlines the process of managing projects. Teams can keep up with timelines and ensure tasks are being completed by creating checklists and due dates. They can also share files and documents within the platform and use collaboration tools to have productive conversations around those items. It facilitates better communication between team members and makes it easier for the team to stay on track with their project by offering a comprehensive view of the entire project history.
Teamwork best features
- Resource management for day-to-day capacity planning
- Project management templates for team collaboration
- Desktop and mobile apps to update work while on-site
- Unlimited free client users
- New users can get overwhelmed by the overload of features and UI design
- The platform can take time to update project fields when assigning tasks
- Free Forever
- Deliver: $9.99/month per user, billed yearly
- Grow: $17.99/month per user, billed yearly
- Scale: Contact Teamwork for details
Teamwork ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (700+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (1,000+ reviews)
TeamGantt is a handy project management software to help architecture firms plan projects using visual charts. By leveraging the power of Gantt charts, TeamGantt gives architects the flexibility to visualize their tasks and milestones. With easy-to-use drag-and-drop features, architects can simply move the timeline to keep tabs on the latest status. This allows them to respond quickly to changes in their project demands, making difficult tasks easy to handle.
Architects can also identify critical paths in the project timeline, plan out resources needed for each task, and even track issues and delays. TeamGantt’s Gantt charts bring transparency and order to architecture projects, allowing teams to make informed decisions.
TeamGantt best features
- Resource management tab
- Portfolio views and reports
- Project plan templates
- Planned timeline vs. actual timeline
- Complex dependency functionality for smooth architectural project management
- Time tracking is a paid feature
- Lite: $19/month per manager, billed yearly
- Pro: $49/month per manager, billed yearly
- Enterprise: $99/month per manager, billed yearly
TeamGantt ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
- G2: 4.8/5 (800+ reviews)
Try out these TeamGantt alternatives!
Basecamp is an online project management solution designed to help teams work together and stay on track with their projects. It offers a range of features to help teams collaborate, assign tasks, manage deadlines, store files, and communicate effectively with everyone involved in a project.
Its intuitive design allows teams to break down tasks into manageable chunks and prioritize them according to importance. With the ability to assign tasks, set deadlines, and discuss objectives in real-time, teams can stay organized and productive. Basecamp’s tools make it easy to keep everyone in the loop by allowing users to share files, upload images, and make comments right within the platform.
Basecamp best features
- Hill Charts to visually see progress uphill or downhill over time
- In-app individual or group direct messages
- Project, assignment, and schedule dashboard on one page
- Real-time chat and messaging system
- Limited progress tracking functionality
- No task priorities
- Unlimited users: $299/month, billed annually
- For freelancers, startups, or smaller teams: $15/month per user
Basecamp ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (14,000+ reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (5,000+ reviews)
Check out these Basecamp alternatives!
Choose the best Project Management Software for Architects
Project management software is crucial for architects to efficiently manage their projects and teams. Among the various options available, ClickUp stands out as the best tool. With its intuitive design, customizable features, and seamless integration with other tools, ClickUp offers a comprehensive solution for architects to manage their projects, tasks, and teams with ease.
Whether you’re a solo architect or leading a team, ClickUp provides the flexibility, transparency, and collaboration you need to take your projects to the next level.