The human resources department is the nuts and bolts that hold a company together, handling core tasks like job candidate selection, employee onboarding, time tracking, performance management, and more. But to get it all done, modern HR teams need the help of sophisticated HR software.
BambooHR has long been one of the leading HR software packages out there. HR professionals in thousands of corporations worldwide use it, and it’s known for its ability to create a centralized database for storing and managing employee information.
But it’s not the right HR software for every company. Some BambooHR alternatives may offer better pricing, more robust integration capabilities, and a smoother experience. If you’ve been looking for an alternative to BambooHR, you’ll want to explore these top ten BambooHR competitors.
What Should You Look For in BambooHR Alternatives?
When you start searching for BambooHR alternatives, there are five things you’ll want to consider:
- User-friendly interface: HR software is only as good as its user interface. If the software is complex to use or makes it challenging to find the information you need, it won’t be much help to anyone. Look for software with an intuitive interface to get to the basics quickly and dive into the details later
- Robust feature set: BambooHR alternatives may offer an applicant tracking system, performance management systems, payroll functions, benefits administration, etc. Some organizations may only need one or two of these core HR functions, and others may need an even more sophisticated set of features. Know what you need from your HR software before you start shopping around
- Excellent integration capabilities: The more your HR software can connect to other apps and programs in your tech stack, the better. Integrations can help with streamlining HR processes, including communicating with employees, managing employee benefits, or helping you run payroll automatically
- Plenty of training and customer support: HR management software manages many complex and sensitive processes, so it’s rarely simple. Choose software that offers comprehensive training resources and responsive customer service so you can smoothly implement the new software into your core HR processes
- Budget-friendly cost: Most BambooHR alternatives offer a scaling price structure, meaning you typically pay per employee. Before you commit to a software platform, though, ensure that you understand the software’s total cost, including the subscription fees, implementation costs, and any potential additional charges
Many of the BambooHR alternatives on this list offer a free trial period. Use these offers to play around with the software and see if it will fit your HR needs.
The 10 Best Alternatives to BambooHR to Use in 2024
ClickUp allows you to customize your Workspace with robust features and multiple views to create an efficient centralized space for all your HR needs. Plus, with over 1,000 integrations, you can automate many HR processes and supercharge your to-do list. Use automation in ClickUp to trigger tasks, update statuses, or communicate with your team.
You’ll also have access to awesome HR management templates. Start with the ClickUp HR SOP template to help create an effective standard operation procedure list for your organization. Then, check out free templates for payroll processing, performance management, and more. Use them to have your HR workspace up and running in minutes.
From recruitment to talent management and onboarding, ClickUp has a solution for all your HR management needs. Free up your human resources team to manage the human side of HR and let ClickUp handle the rest.
ClickUp best features
- ClickUp is customizable so that you can create custom workflows, task lists, and fields specific to the needs of your organization’s HR needs
- Awesome collaboration features make it easy for teams to work together, whether coordinating with hiring managers on the recruitment process or partnering with teams on employee performance management
- ClickUp makes document management and knowledge sharing easy, so teams can access the information they need while HR teams can keep sensitive employee data safe
- Free templates save teams time when building new processes, such as creating an applicant tracking system or building performance reviews
- The scalable system makes it easy to adjust for small and medium-sized businesses, as well as for large organizations
- ClickUp has a rich list of features and capabilities, so new users may find it takes some time to learn about everything they can do within the platform
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (9,100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (3,900+ reviews)
Connecteam is an employee management platform specifically designed for deskless and remote workers. It provides tools for workforce management tasks, including communication tools and ways to handle scheduling, training, and more.
Connecteam best features
- Facilitates communication with employees through chat, messaging, and announcement features
- Tools for creating and delivering training materials to employees, making the onboarding process easier
- Quickly create new forms and checklists for tasks like employee evaluations, safety inspections, applicant tracking systems, or other HR processes
- Some of the platform’s best HR tools are only available to higher-paying tiers, so smaller businesses with smaller budgets may find it limited
- Small Business Plan: $0
- Basic: $35/month for the first 30 users, then $0.60/month for each additional user
- Advanced: $59/month for the first 30 users, then $1.80/month for each additional user
- Expert: $119/month for the first 30 users, then $3.60/month for each additional user
Connecteam ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (310+ reviews)
Zenefits is a cloud-based human resources management platform with tools to help organizations manage their HR processes. It has a simple, user-friendly interface and an award-winning mobile app that allows employees to access their info on the go.
Zenefits best features
- Great tools for benefits administration, so you can easily manage benefits like health insurance, retirement plans, and other employee perks
- Easy-to-use time tracking features help you track employee schedules along with hours, breaks, and overtime while connecting to your payroll services
- Zenefits is one of the top BambooHR alternatives for compliance management, helping small businesses and large organizations stay compliant with various HR and labor regulations
- It can take some time (and effort) to get through to the platform’s customer service team, so you may find yourself needing to find workaround solutions to any issues you encounter
- Essentials: $10/month per employee
- Growth: $20/month per employee
- Zen: $33/month per employee
Zenefits ratings and reviews
- G2: 4/5 (450+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (810+ reviews)
Rippling is a cloud-based platform with a comprehensive HR and employee management tools suite. Rippling is an excellent alternative to BambooHR if you want to work on streamlining HR processes. You’ll have a centralized place for payroll, benefits administration, health savings accounts, recruiting, performance management, and more.
Rippling best features
- Automated payroll processing handles complex tasks like tax calculations, direct deposit setup, and compliance with payroll regulations
- Streamlined employee onboarding tools to help you with administrative tasks like document submission and task management
- Ability to extend functionality by incorporating its IT and security management features, which allow you to enforce security policies across your organization
- Not all of the HR platform’s capabilities are available on mobile, so admin and employees may find themselves in need of a desktop to get the most out of the platform
- Contact for pricing information
Rippling ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (2,100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.9/5 (2,900+ reviews)
Paypro promises to be the one HR management platform you’ll need, from hiring to retiring your workforce.
The cloud-based platform offers payroll, performance management, HR goal setting, benefits administration, and time-tracking tools. Plus, their expert implementation team can get your organization’s HR department up and running on the platform quickly.
Paypro best features
- An expert implementation team can do the heavy lifting of getting your HR team up and running on the system
- Comprehensive workforce management can handle every aspect of managing your team, including advanced features to help control labor costs and improve productivity
- Eliminates redundant workflows with a single database for all employee data, including time tracking, compensation management, benefits administration, and more
- Reports can be clunky and overcomplicated. So you may need to go through trial and error to get the information you need
- Contact for pricing information
Paypro ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.9/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (10+ reviews)
Namely is a cloud-based payroll and HR platform for small and medium-sized businesses. Known for its user-friendly interface, Namely offers a comprehensive solution for HR, benefits and compensation management, and applicant tracking.
It also provides an easy-to-use platform that makes employee self-service a breeze.
Namely best features
- Excellent self-service features allow employees to access and manage their HR information without bogging management down in admin tasks
- Talent management tools make it easy to handle things like employee performance reviews and employee development to nurture talent growth within the organization
- Easy benefits management so your organization can efficiently handle everything from health insurance to retirement plans
- Customer support can be tricky to contact, leaving users to troubleshoot issues on their own
- Contact for pricing information
Namely ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.9/5 (300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (420+ reviews)
Justworks is an all-in-one HR management software geared towards small-to-medium-sized organizations. The interface is intuitive and offers a range of tools to help streamline HR processes for both employers and employees.
It’s great for those without a lot of in-depth HR knowledge because 24/7 support is available to guide you through any issues.
Justworks best features
- Excellent customer support is available 24/7, with real humans providing answers to any questions you have about setting up your business on Justworks
- Employees can access and manage their HR information through an easy-to-use dashboard, making it simple to find data or submit forms
- Onboarding tools make it a breeze to bring on new employees, guiding them through the process of submitting direct deposit info, going over company policies, and more
- No mobile app available, limiting access for admin and employees on-the-go
- Basic: $59/month per employee
- Plus: $99/month per employee
Justworks ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (430+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (190+ reviews)
Gusto is an online platform that simplifies all aspects of human capital management and payroll for businesses. It’s a user-friendly platform offering many integration capabilities to streamline workflows associated with employee management. With a nice selection of HR tools for the price, it’s a good option for small businesses.
Gusto best features
- A simplified, automated payroll process takes the guesswork out of calculations and takes a lot of that admin off of your organization’s plate
- Excellent compliance tools help organizations stay up-to-date with ever-changing regulations so you can effortlessly manage employee data while meeting legal requirements
- Gusto acts as a broker for employee benefits, helping organizations connect with affordable health insurance plans for employees
- There is no free trial, so you have to pay up before you can test out the features
- Simple: $40/month plus $6/month per person
- Plus: $80/month plus $12/month per person
- Premium: Contact for pricing information
Gusto ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (1,700+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (3,800+ reviews)
PerformYard focuses on performance management, creating a centralized hub to create a high-performance culture within your organization. Through a simple interface, HR teams can use PerformYard to set HR KPIs, employee feedback tools, or performance evaluations to foster team growth and development.
PerformYard best features
- Customize performance reviews to create evaluations that align with your organization’s goals and values
- Continuous feedback tools create ongoing feedback loops so there is regular communication between employees and management on performance and goals
- Excellent analytics and reporting features can give you valuable insight into performance trends and help you identify strengths and weaknesses within the organization
- Reporting isn’t intuitive, so managers may need additional support to find the info they need
- Lacks some advanced features found in other HR platforms, like payroll tools or benefits management
- Performance Management: $5-10 per person per month, billed annually
- Employee Engagement: An additional $1-3 per person per month
PerformYard ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (750+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (80+ reviews)
10. Zoho People
If you need sophisticated HR tools for a large organization, you’ll want to check out Zoho People. This cloud-based human resource management software offers a huge range of tools and features.
Zoho People creates a central platform for managing all aspects of employee information, from attendance tracking features to performance management.
Zoho People best features
- Highly customizable so that you can create and tailor forms and workflows specific to your internal HR process, from the onboarding process to day-to-day admin
- Intuitive self-service portal allows employees to access and update their personal information, view payslips, and request time off. Employee engagement is higher, and there are fewer admin tasks for management and the HR team
- Excellent reporting features can give management teams insight into workforce trends, performance metrics, and other critical HR data to make better data-driven decisions for the organization
Zoho People limitations
- The interface isn’t always intuitive, causing users to rely heavily on customer support and training resources in the beginning
Zoho People pricing
- Free for five users
- Essential HR: $1/employee billed monthly
- Professional: $2/employee billed monthly
- Premium: $3/employee billed monthly
- Enterprise: $5/employee billed monthly
- People Plus: $8/employee billed monthly
Zoho People ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (280+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (230+ reviews)
Find the Best BambooHR Alternative for Your Organization at ClickUp
Efficient HR operations have a positive impact on the entire organization. They lead to increased employee satisfaction, smooth functioning of benefits services, and a happier work environment. This benefits employee retention and helps improve the organization’s bottom line.
The right HR tools can help you make this happen. The top BambooHR alternatives give you key features to help reduce admin workload, streamline people management, and create a better employee experience.
If you’re looking for alternatives to BambooHR, try ClickUp. ClickUp is a versatile option that can meet the needs of small businesses, mid-sized companies, and larger organizations.
Known primarily as a project management tool, ClickUp also offers a comprehensive suite of human resources management features. By using ClickUp, you can simplify your HR processes and improve communication with your employees.
ClickUp offers customizable workspaces, over 1,000 integrations, and many automation capabilities. You can centralize your HR needs, from recruitment to coaching and more, with solutions and templates for every aspect of HR management.
Sign up for ClickUp today to empower your HR team with a more efficient and effective management system.