The key to writing excellent content today is doing it quickly. If you spend too much time editing, you’ll end up publishing content that is no longer relevant to your audience. So, how do you proofread your content without spending painstaking hours reviewing each sentence? You let artificial intelligence (AI) do it for you.
Today’s AI proofreading tools quickly scan your content and offer suggestions far beyond a basic spellchecker. AI proofreading tools check your grammar, give prompts for simplifying complex sentences, and even help you adjust your tone to align with your brand voice or target audience. AI proofreading happens in seconds, allowing you to push out quality content fast.
Explore the possibilities of AI proofreading software with these 10 tools available in 2023!
What is AI Proofreading and How Does it Work?
AI proofreading, or automated proofreading, uses natural language processing and AI to review and correct written content. It checks content for style, punctuation, grammar, and spelling errors.
AI proofreading analyzes your text and breaks the content into sentences and words. It compares your text against its vast database of language rules and learned patterns to detect potential errors and offers suggestions to improve readability. You can then review the recommendations and choose to accept or reject them.
AI proofreading software can significantly speed up the proofreading and editing process, reduce human error rates, and improve the overall quality of your content. These tools are becoming more intelligent and useful and are now a mainstay in the modern writer’s toolbox.
How to choose the best AI proofreader tool
Choosing the best online proofreading tool starts with defining what you want it to accomplish. Are you looking for general proofreading? Or do you want a tool that helps you adjust the tone? Consider the type of professional writing that you’re doing. Some AI proofreading tools are better for editing academic writing, while others are great for marketing copy.
Once you’ve determined your goals, look for AI tools that are easy to use. They should have an intuitive interface and make the editing process easy. They may even connect with your favorite writing programs, like Microsoft Word or Google Docs, or run on your browser to check your content on various social media platforms.
Also, consider the price of AI writing tools. While many are free or offer free versions, some of the best features may be behind a paywall. You might want to pay for premium versions if you need their full editing prowess.
And remember, you don’t have to settle for one AI editing tool. Many of these tools can work together to provide multi-layered editing support. Play around with a few options on this list and find what fits your needs and workflow.
10 Best AI Copywriting Tools 2023
ClickUp has long been a favorite project management and collaboration tool. ClickUp’s AI tools propelled the platform to the next level, making it a powerful proofreading software. From your ClickUp Docs, the AI interface can help you quickly create content using natural language prompts.
Need to draft a marketing plan for something you’re releasing next week? Tell ClickUp AI what you need to do; it will help you create a launch plan in seconds. The AI can help you write emails, design a user testing study, summarize meeting notes, and create an action plan.
ClickUp best features
- Generates summaries of lengthy documents, meeting notes, or even comment threads so you get the highlights without wasting your time
- Offers suggestions to make your content more concise and engaging and tailors the text to your target audience
- Acts as an AI writing assistant to help you brainstorm ideas for your next novel, marketing campaign, or the wording of an email
- ClickUp AI isn’t part of the platform’s free plan, so you’ll have to sign up for a monthly plan to access its robust tools
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI: Available on all paid plans for $5/Workspace member/month
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,700+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,700+ reviews)
Grammarly is one of the best-known online proofreading tools on this list, with over 30 million daily active users. Its popularity comes with good reason. The platform is super user-friendly and integrates seamlessly wherever you create content. You can use it in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, your web browser, and even your phone. It detects and corrects spelling and grammar errors in real-time and offers insights to improve your writing skills.
Grammarly best features
- Suggests word changes to make your writing more varied and remove repetition
- Includes a plagiarism checker that scans your text and ensures it’s not too close to other online content
- Offers suggestions for tone and ways for you to reach your writing goals
- Suggestions can be overzealous, so users should be cautious about accepting them without reviewing the changes
- Many of the proofreading software’s best features are behind a paywall
- Premium: $10/month
- Business: $15/month per member
Grammarly ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (4,300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (6,900+ reviews)
3. Slick Write
Slick Write is a free browser-based proofreading software that checks your content and offers suggestions on style and tone. You can customize the suggestions to suit your style and check your document’s statistics to see how you measure up. The free platform has some robust features, including ways to check the flow of your sentences, remove passive voice, and check adverb usage.
Slick Write best features
- Customizable settings allow you to tailor edits to your style and needs
- Web-based platform means there’s no software to download
- Word association screen can help you break free from writer’s block
Slick Write limitations
- While it’s an excellent basic editor, some users may miss some of the more advanced AI tools that other proofreading software options offer
Slick Write pricing
Slick Write ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (5+ reviews)
WhiteSmoke’s natural language processing helps users edit and refine their content. While suitable for anyone who wants help with their English language writing, its target users are non-native speakers and academic writers. The platform goes beyond simply offering suggestions by explaining why a suggestion may be a better option, teaching writers to create better content while they edit.
WhiteSmoke best features
- Picks up potential errors that less robust platforms miss
- Works in any text application or browser and even offers a mobile version
- Uses natural language processing and algorithms to continuously expand its suggestion capabilities
- User interface isn’t as smooth as other AI editing platforms
- $59.95/year (for browsers)
- $79.95/year (for browsers, MS Office, Gmail, and Windows)
- $137.95/year (full version plus warranty and phone support)
WhiteSmoke ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 3.8/5 (20+ reviews)
LanguageTool is an open-source proofreading software that helps you improve the quality of your written content. Like other platforms, it detects potential errors in the text, including punctuation errors, verb agreement, and sentence structure. Where LanguageTool shines is with its multi-language support. This makes it great for non-native English speakers or those who need to write polished content for an audience across the pond.
LanguageTool best features
- Offers spellchecking and editing suggestions in more than 30 languages and dialects
- Offers a web-based editor for free or a premium version that integrates with popular writing apps
- Helps you rephrase your sentences to match a desired tone
- Has a 20,000-character limit on the free version, so if you’re checking longer documents, you’ll have to break it up
- Premium: $69.90/year
- For teams: $132.80/year
LanguageTool ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
Ginger uses natural language processing and AI to improve written content. Put the grammar, punctuation, and spellchecker to work. Refine your copy using the platform’s rephrasing tools, which rephrase sentences to make them more formal, casual, playful, or professional. The writing assistant offers clear guidance to improve your writing, making you a stronger writer in the long run.
Ginger best features
- Powerful grammar and style suggestions help you avoid basic mistakes and craft more compelling copy
- Sentence rephrasing tool helps you change your tone in a single click, making it easier to express ideas
- Phrase bank can help you come up with different ways to express ideas
- Can be slow to load, especially if you’re working on a slower internet connection
- Premium: $13.99/month or $84/year
- Teams: $4.99/month per member
Ginger ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.0/5 (80+ reviews)
Want to know how your essays and academic papers measure up? PaperRater is an online grammar and plagiarism checker that helps students and professionals improve their writing. The platform algorithms identify plagiarism, grammatical errors, and style issues and offer suggestions to improve readability. The AI also scans the text and assigns an automated score, giving you an idea of how it will measure up when your audience reads it.
PaperRater best features
- Provides feedback on essays or papers before you submit them
- Requires no sign-ups with the free version, so you can start using it immediately
- Ensures you’ve cited everything correctly with a plagiarism checker
- While the algorithms are generally good, the suggestions aren’t always accurate
- Premium: $3.48/month (billed annually)
PaperRater ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
ProWritingAid is a comprehensive AI writing assistant for those who want thorough editing. It includes almost two dozen metrics to help writers evaluate and refine their text. Beyond the basics, this robust AI tool can help you identify cliches, refine transitions, and eliminate passive voice. The cloud-based platform works with virtually any text box, including Facebook, email, and your favorite word-processing app.
ProWritingAid best features
- Includes master classes on writing from industry experts to help you up your writing game
- Evaluates the readability of text in multiple ways so you know you’re getting it right, no matter the audience
- Provides instant feedback as you write for faster editing on the go
- Limited ability to customize rules and suggestions, so you may get more suggestions than you actually need
- Premium: $10/month billed annually
ProWritingAid ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (430+ reviews)
QuillBot is another popular AI proofreading tool, but this one shines as a true AI writing partner. The platform helps you generate new content or improve what you already have. It’s handy for paraphrasing text to summarize longer documents quickly.
It’s also great at generating citations, one of the most tedious academic writing tasks. Plus, it does all the basic grammar and spelling checks while offering explanations for specific suggestions.
QuillBot best features
- Helps you generate content using your prompt, making it easy to create copy even when you aren’t sure what to write
- Offers search results inside your drafting window so you can conduct research without opening multiple tabs
- Helps you change the tone to be more formal, simple, creative, or aligned with your custom rules
- Works with Chrome, Word, and Google Docs but has limited integration options outside of those platforms
- Premium: $99.95/year
QuillBot ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (120+ reviews)
10. Hemingway App
The Hemingway App is an AI writing tool that focuses on making your writing clearer and more concise. Named after Ernest Hemingway, a writer known for his clear and concise writing style, it uses the author’s editing process to inspire its user interface. Using highlights, it analyzes your copy for long, hard-to-understand sentences and passive voice.
The browser-based platform also offers readability scores to gauge how your audience might respond.
Hemingway App best features
- Most features are available in the free version
- Color-coded highlights make it easy to see where your writing is too complicated or wordy
- Suggests ways to improve your writing and eliminate bad writing habits, like passive voice
Hemingway App limitations
- Its limited features focus on a concise writing style, so it may not be suitable for all contexts
Hemingway App pricing
- Free (browser-based)
- App: $19.99
Hemingway App ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
Craft Perfectly Polished Prose With ClickUp
Online proofreading tools can help you edit your work faster and improve your writing style. Using these tools, you can catch errors you might otherwise miss and make your writing more compelling, engaging, and dynamic.
If you’re looking for a powerful AI proofreading tool to help you with all aspects of your writing, check out ClickUp’s AI tools. Along with the standard grammar and spelling tools, ClickUp’s AI helps you generate copy from scratch. Draft emails, blog posts, and even social media campaigns in a few clicks. You can even use the ClickUp AI tools to summarize long documents or generate action items from meeting notes.
Want to write better copy faster? Sign up for ClickUp and use the built-in AI features to improve your content creation process.