There are two sides to the increasingly widespread use of artificial intelligence (AI) in content creation. On one hand, AI is like a wizard that creates quality content in the blink of an eye, saving you tons of time you can invest in other valuable projects. But it’s not all rainbows and butterflies—generating content with AI has its flaws.
Besides being potentially unethical, AI-generated content can be unreliable and flat-out inaccurate.
As AI tools become more advanced, identifying the content created by them gets more and more challenging. This is where AI detection tools come in—they analyze texts and images to discover whether they were created by a human or AI. 🕵️
In this article, we’ll introduce you to the 10 best AI content detectors on the market to help you distinguish between human- and AI-generated content.
What Is an AI Detection Tool?
An AI detection tool analyzes content to identify trends and patterns that qualify it as human- or AI-generated. When analyzing texts, AI content detectors look for a lack of depth and creativity, repetition of certain words and phrases, specific sentence lengths, or inaccurate or outdated info.
In the case of images or videos, AI detection tools scan elements like objects, poses, or written characters to determine their origin. 🔎
The tools used for AI detection are backed by powerful technology, but it’s important to mention they aren’t always accurate. They can make a mistake, so you shouldn’t jump the gun and trust a tool blindly.
How to choose the best AI detection tools for your needs
There are plenty of AI-detection fish in the sea—how do you catch a quality one? If you want a tool that hits the sweet spot between functionality, ease of use, and reliability, look for the following characteristics:
- Multiple language model support: It should be able to pick up on AI-generated text created in GPT-3, GPT-4, Bard, Claude, and other models
- Accuracy: The right AI detector should have minimal false positives and negatives and offer somewhat reliable results
- Scalability: It should be able to analyze large data items without compromising accuracy
- Customizability: The AI detector should let you customize the analysis process to focus on particular criteria that align with your needs
- Reporting options: The AI content detector should provide an overview of your analysis history and allow you to identify trends that could potentially fuel the improvement of your content
- Cross-platform compatibility: It should work equally well on multiple operating systems and devices
10 Best AI Detection Tools You Should Try in 2023
We’ve analyzed dozens of AI detector tools and selected the top 10 that stand out for their reliability, good reviews, and fantastic features. Check them out and see which tool aligns with your needs and offers the most benefits.
Looking for an AI detector solution for your enterprise? Copyleaks is just what you need—the tool offers sentence-level analysis, full model coverage (including Bard and GPT-4), and impressive reliability.
In fact, this AI detector has a self-reported 99.1% accuracy and a 0.2% false positive rate across AI-generated content.!
As Copyleaks analyzes texts sentence by sentence, it gives you precise info on which parts were written by humans and what is potentially AI-written text. You can even see the AI-paraphrased sections.
Copyleaks understands 30 languages, so it’s an excellent tool for multinational enterprises. Plus, it can analyze source code, making it a fantastic option for programming and software development teams.
Copyleaks best features
- Sentence-level analysis
- Full model coverage
- 99.1% accuracy (self-reported)
- Supports 30 languages
- Viewing the results can be laggy compared to some AI-content detection tools
- No option to exclude certain parts of a text
- $9.16/month for 1,200 pages (each page covers up to 250 words of scanned content)
*The listed price refers to the yearly billing model
Copyleaks ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (less than 5 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (80+ reviews)
If you’re all about convenience and simplicity, ZeroGPT may be the way to go for AI detectors.
The platform offers numerous advantages that make it appealing. For example, ZeroGPT supports multiple languages, including English, French, Indonesian, German, and Hindi. This makes it suitable for educators and content teams worldwide to detect AI-generated text and understand other AI content.
Another exciting feature you’ll get with this platform is ZeroGPT API, which you can use to incorporate the tool in other apps and programs and enjoy real-time AI content detection.
When you scan a piece of content with the tool, you’ll get the percentages representing the chances that it was written by a human or generated by AI/GPT. As you scroll down, you’ll see parts of the text that appear to be AI-generated highlighted in yellow.
ZeroGPT best features
- ZeroGPT API can be used similarly as other AI writing tools
- Multiple language support across AI-generated content
- No hidden costs or limits on how much text you can analyze
- No option to attach files for analysis in the content detector
- The interface can appear outdated to some users
ZeroGPT ratings and reviews
- No reviews
3. Winston AI
Winston AI is an easy-to-use AI content detector with an intuitive dashboard. It analyzes your text in-depth and displays the percentage-based likelihood of it being AI-generated content.
The platform supports multiple file types—you can copy and paste your text or upload a docx., .jpg, or .png file. Winston AI boasts cutting-edge optical character recognition (OCR) technology that allows it to read text from images and even handle handwritten texts with ease.
The AI-detector has a self-reported accuracy rate is 99.6%. Besides showing the overall probability of a text being AI-generated content, Winston AI gives a sentence-by-sentence assessment, letting you dig deeper and pinpoint problematic areas.
Winston AI currently supports English, German, Spanish, and French languages.
Winston AI best features
- Features OCR technology
- Processes handwritten texts
- Sentence-by-sentence assessment
- Easy-to-use AI detector interface
- Multi-language support
- One of the few free AI content detector options on this list
Winston AI limitations
- The reporting option could benefit from improvements
- Relatively fewer supported languages compared to competitors
Winston AI pricing
- Essential: $12/month for up to 80,000 words
- Advanced: $19/month for up to 200,000 words
*All listed prices refer to the yearly billing model
Winston AI ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4/5 (less than five reviews)
Crossplag is a popular plagiarism detection tool. One of its newer features is the AI content detector, which uses machine learning algorithms to accurately identify the origin of a text and tell you if it’s AI- or human-generated.
The AI detector is trained to recognize the patterns present in human-written texts. Crossplag identifies deviations from these patterns and displays percentages indicating the chances of your text being created by AI.
Using the tool is a no-brainer—all you need to do is copy and paste your text, press “Check,” and let Crossplag do its magic. 🪄
Crossplag best features
- Easy to use
- Trained with over 1.5B parameters for maximum accuracy
- Lack of graphics in the interface
- English is the only supported language
- Contact for pricing
Crossplag ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (less than 5 reviews)
GLTR (short for Giant Language Model Test Room) is an AI detection tool developed by MIT-IBM Watson AI Lab and HarvardNLP. It lets you conduct a forensic analysis of a text to determine whether AI created it.
Based on GPT-2 technology, the tool analyzes every word to identify how likely AI would predict it. It does so by focusing on the context before the word in question and the probability that AI would generate a specific sequence of words.
So, if GLTR estimates that AI tools often generate the word you’re interested in and the word before it together, it will flag it.
If the word you’re analyzing is within the top 10 AI predictions, GLTR will color it green. For the top 100 predictions, you’ll see the color yellow, and for the top 1,000 predictions, the word will be red. Everything above 1,000 is violet.
Simply put, if a text is mostly green, there’s a high chance AI generated it.
GLTR best features
- Offers an in-depth text analysis in its AI writing tools
- Color-codes the text for easier navigation
- Assesses the position of words to determine if AI was used
- Made in 2019, so it may not be efficient for newer technologies
- Interpreting the results can be challenging for first-time users
GLTR ratings and reviews
- No reviews
6. Content at Scale
Content at Scale’s AI detector offers a straightforward, no-frills way to assess a text and determine if it’s created by humans, AI, or a mix of both.
The tool has been trained with blog posts, essays, Wikipedia entries, and thousands of articles to display reliable and precise results. It can identify whether a text was generated by ChatGPT, Bard, Claude, and other tools.
When you run the analysis, the tool color-codes your text to indicate which parts are most likely generated by AI and which were written by humans. The color green means your text is of human origin, while red is alarming and suggests AI did the “writing.” Yellow and orange indicate that your text may need rewriting to avoid sounding robotic and be on the safe side.
Content at Scale best features
- Easy-to-interpret results
- Offers an option to rewrite AI text to sound human
- Analyses each sentence
Content at Scale limitations
- AI rewrites aren’t always reliable
- Results can be unclear
Content at Scale pricing
- Pro version: $49/month
Content at Scale ratings and reviews
- No reviews
Originality.ai is a two-in-one solution—it features an AI detector AND a plagiarism checker. It can spot texts created by ChatGPT, Bard, and other well-known AI tools with remarkable accuracy.
Originality.ai is ideal for teams, thanks to its innovative options like adding coworkers to the platform, viewing scan history, and sharing results. It’s primarily targeted toward content marketing and SEO agencies, but anyone who wants to ensure their content is AI-free can use it.
Besides the AI detector and plagiarism checker, Originality.ai offers free readability tests to help you create easy-to-digest and engaging content.
Originality.ai best features
- Combined AI detector and plagiarism checker
- Shareable reports
- Collaborative options
- Readability tests
- Limited options on the pay-as-you-go pricing model
- Numerous users reported inaccurate results
- Pay-as-you-go: One-time payment of $30 for 3,000 credits (one credit scans 100 words)
- Base subscription: $14.95/month for 2,000 credits (each additional credit is $0.01)
Originality.ai ratings and reviews
- Product Hunt: 2.9/5 (20+ reviews)
Undetectable.ai is a unique tool with two important functions. It lets you scan your text and identify AI content, but it also allows you to “humanize” AI-generated parts and avoid your content getting flagged. 🚩
Using the platform is a cakewalk—paste the text in the provided box and press the Check for AI button. You can customize the targeted readability and purpose to ensure the tool understands your intent.
If the results indicate some parts of your text are AI-generated, press Humanize to turn them into content that can potentially bypass other AI detectors.
Undetectable.ai best features
- AI content detector and text humanizer
- Supports up to 10,000 characters at a time
- Easy to use
- Recognizes text from GPT-3, GPT-4, Bard, Claude, etc.
- Some users find the price too high
- The interface can seem outdated
- Free (limited options, no text humanizer)
- Yearly: $5/month for 10,000 words—can be customized
- For Business: Contact for pricing
Undetectable.ai ratings and reviews
- Product Hunt: 5/5 (less than 10 reviews)
- G2: 5/5 (less than 5 reviews)
Looking for a free, simple AI content detector with no bells and whistles? Writer ticks all the boxes and combines a no-frills interface with powerful functionality.
Your only job is to copy and paste the text you want to scan and select “Analyze text.” Writer will assess the content and display a percentage that shows whether your text is human- or AI-generated.
There’s also an option to add a URL and analyze its content’s origin.
Keep in mind that the maximum character number this handy tool supports is 1,500, so you may need to run multiple consecutive analyses to check a large text.
Writer best features
- Simple to use
- Can analyze content through URLs
- Offers a free grammar checker
- Doesn’t color-code AI- and human-generated sentences
- No option to upload text files or images for analysis
Writer ratings and reviews
- No reviews
10. Hugging Face
Hugging Face is an AI community where users join forces to work on and discuss models, datasets, and apps. It’s no surprise the platform offers a quality AI content detector that lets you scan your texts and check their originality.
The detector classifies content as real (human-generated) or fake (AI-generated) and displays the results in decimal points, which is fun and refreshing for tech-savvy users.
If you don’t enjoy this format, scroll to the bottom of the Hugging Face AI content detector’s page and click on the recommendation for a better user experience.
Hugging Face best features
- Excellent for tech-savvy users
- Community support
Hugging Face limitations
- Non-tech-savvy users may not find it useful
- Results aren’t as clear as with other AI content detectors
Hugging Face pricing
Hugging Face ratings and reviews
- No reviews
Other AI Tools
The AI tools we presented work by preventing the misuse of AI, while others strive to harness its full potential to make you more productive. A perfect example of the latter group is ClickUp, which lets you streamline workflows, manage documents, boost collaboration, and awaken your creative side. Let’s see how! 🖌️
ClickUp is a popular project and task management platform with dozens of options for seamless team collaboration, progress monitoring, document management, and workload organization. But let’s put those aside and focus on the platform’s first-class writing assistant—ClickUp AI.
ClickUp AI is the powerful ally you need when you lack the inspiration (or time) to compose an email, blog post, contract, offer, newspaper article, or any type of text. It’s your ticket to the land of perfectly crafted content!
To understand the writing assistant’s impressive functionalities, we must mention another of ClickUp’s standout features—ClickUp Docs. Use it to create, edit, share, and manage your documents in one place. Think of it as a virtual filing cabinet where everything’s meticulously organized and easy to find. 🗄️
ClickUp AI and ClickUp Docs in action
ClickUp AI and ClickUp Docs work together to give you the best user experience imaginable. Let’s say you need to write an email to a customer. You’ll open a ClickUp Doc and type “/ai.” Then, press “AI tools” and select the first prompt: Write an email. You only need to enter your customer’s name, purpose, talking points, and desired tone of voice, and ClickUp will generate the perfect email in seconds.
ClickUp AI isn’t just a content generator—it can help you:
- Summarize lengthy texts
- Generate action items
- Edit content
- Create surveys
- Suggest content outlines
- Come up with engaging social media content
- Improve your SEO game
Not sure how to reap the benefits of this AI writing tool? ClickUp templates come to the rescue! 🦸
The platform offers 1,000+ templates for different purposes, from managing workflows to tracking time. You’ll especially love the templates featuring role-specific AI prompts—they come with ready-made instructions you paste into tools like ChatGPT to generate desired responses.
ClickUp best features
- AI writing assistant
- Makes brainstorming, generating content, summarizing, and editing a breeze
- ClickUp Docs—a centralized document management hub and the perfect place for exploring ClickUp AI’s functionalities
- High customizability—provide the guidelines that make ClickUp AI more efficient and to the point
- Offers a rich template library
- The platform’s numerous options can feel overwhelming at first
- AI support for the mobile app isn’t available (yet)
- Free forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace member per month
*All listed prices refer to the yearly billing model
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,900+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,700+ reviews)
AI Detection Tools: Take Control over Your Content
Whether you use AI content detection tools or a platform that offers a robust AI writing assistant, you put yourself in the driver’s seat and ensure your content is original, relevant, engaging, and easy to read.
With ClickUp, you get much more than a writing tool—you get a project and task management platform and fantastic time-tracking, team collaboration, organization, and document management options, to name a few. Sign up for ClickUp and explore everything it has to offer!