Whether you’re the manager at a nonprofit organization or you own a gym, you know how important it is to grow your membership base. Active members help with everything from fundraising events to community building.
Also, it doesn’t hurt that active members tend to spend more. Just sayin’. 💰
However, there’s one little problem. You need a way to manage all your membership dues and contact information in one place. You don’t have time to switch between different platforms.
That’s where member management software comes in.
Member or membership management software helps professional associations, chambers of commerce, and other member-based organizations manage their members. From online payment processing to member portals and beyond, the right software will do a lot of the heavy lifting for you. 🏋️
In this guide, we’re revealing the key features of the best membership management software, plus we’ll share our 10 favorite member management solutions of 2023.
What Should You Look For in Member Management Software?
Member management systems should make your life easier. Look for platforms with time-saving functionalities like:
- Payment processing: Storing members’ credit card information puts a lot of legal burdens on your organization. Fortunately, a membership management system comes with a self-service member portal where folks can plug in their payment information and manage their membership. Members enjoy more convenience and you don’t have to store card numbers—it’s a win-win! 🏆
- Member database management: A customer relationship management (CRM) platform holds all member data in one place. Instead of spreading member information across spreadsheets and emails, you’ll have an all-in-one membership dashboard for quick reference
- Member engagement: Membership management software does more than payment processing. It should come with a few features to deepen your relationship with members (and thereby improve retention). That might include email campaigns, online communities, or event registration pages
- Automated features: Modern member management tools should streamline your workflow. Whether it’s automated check-ins or onboarding flows for new members, go with membership management software that does the work for you
The 10 Best Member Management Applications to Use in 2023
We know you’re busy, so we did the research to find the right member management application for you. Check out this list of the best membership management software platforms for 2023.
That’s right. The universe’s favorite project management tool also happens to be the ideal membership management platform. Use ClickUp CRM to track customer information and visualize your pipeline to persuade more would-be members to join your organization. 🙌
ClickUp is a secure database software that includes simple Table Views so you can see all member data in one place—and it’s easy to import and export that data. Calculate customer lifetime value, renewals, engagement rates, and a lot more.
While ClickUp is an excellent membership database solution, it’s also a billion other things. It isn’t just for collecting member data—it’s for executing all of your big plans.
You have the freedom to design the ClickUp Project Hierarchy however you want. Unlike other client management software, we don’t make you fit into a box. You’re free to design your own workflows and work how you see fit.
You don’t have to start from scratch, either. Simply customize a ready-made ClickUp template and you’re off to the races:
- Use the ClickUp Membership Strategy Template to brainstorm your next big move
- Copy the ClickUp Membership Directory Template to create your own database in seconds
- Rely on the ClickUp Directory Template to build a membership directory lickety-split
ClickUp best features:
- ClickUp CRM tracks all member data and displays it alongside your projects, tasks, analytics, and more
- ClickUp Templates save you time on finicky administrative tasks
- Visualize member engagement metrics with ClickUp’s real-time dashboards
- Brainstorm Goals for your organization and hold your team accountable by converting Goals into Tasks
- ClickUp has so many features that newbies sometimes find it intimidating (but we believe in you!)
- Some features, like ClickUp AI, are only available to paid subscribers
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Business Plus: $19/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,700+ reviews)
2. Wild Apricot
Wild Apricot is a web-based membership solution that does a little bit of everything. Use its member database to track member information. Try the website builder for your existing website management. Or build your own mobile app to connect with members on the go.
Are you going all-in on e-commerce? Use Wild Apricot’s online store feature, which allows you to list products in your membership portal. Members can even set up recurring payment processing for their membership fees—so you don’t have to lift a finger. 🧘
Wild Apricot best features:
- Create event listings and customizable registration forms in seconds
- Automatically generate invoices and receipts for payment processing
- Integrate Wild Apricot with WordPress and widgets
Wild Apricot limitations:
- Some users say their members experienced errors
- Other users say the platform isn’t user-friendly
Wild Apricot pricing:
- Personal: $60/month for 100 contacts
- Group: $75/month for 250 contacts
- Community: $140/month for 500 contacts
- Professional: $240/month for 2,000 contacts
- Network: $440/month for 5,000 contacts
- Enterprise: $530/month for 15,000 contacts
- Global: $900/month for 50,000 contacts
Wild Apricot ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (530+ reviews)
ClubExpress has focused on simplifying club management for over 20 years. Use this member application to schedule email blasts, text members, generate surveys, and even create discussion forums.
The member engagement features are particularly robust. If you want to stay in regular contact with your members—and who doesn’t?—ClubExpress is a solid option.
ClubExpress best features:
- ClubExpress offers unlimited cloud-based storage
- Choose from over 20 pre-built modules to get the functionality you want
- ClubExpress allows members to manage their data and payment history in the member portal
- Some say the forum feature is hard to use
- Other users say the platform is hard to navigate overall
- Up to 200 members: 42 cents/member, billed monthly
- 201 – 300 members: 38 cents/member, billed monthly
- 301 – 500 members: 34 cents/member, billed monthly
- 501 – 1,000 members: 30 cents/member, billed monthly
- Over 1,000 members: Contact for pricing
ClubExpress ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4/5 (240 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (510+ reviews)
MemberClicks streamlines membership management for professional associations, chambers of commerce, and trade associations. It bills itself as an all-in-one automation, engagement, and revenue-generation platform for any organization that manages members.
MemberClicks comes with staff workflows, event management, and member engagement features like classrooms, job boards, and forums.
MemberClicks best features:
- Host virtual conferences or trade shows
- Draw more visits to your member portal by setting up a job board
- Create a dedicated space for members with the CommUnity feature
- Some users say the platform lacks useful editing features
- Others say MemberClicks training videos are out-of-date and unhelpful
- Contact for pricing
MemberClicks ratings and reviews:
- G2: 3.7/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (450+ reviews)
Do you run the chapter of a trade association? StarChapter specializes in chapter management for both volunteers and admins. We like its Board & Management feature, which gives board members a central hub to share information. 📈
Use StarChapter to import membership data and integrate it with several national associations with ease. It’ll also generate detailed reports about your membership program, which is useful if you need to present to the board.
StarChapter best features:
- Process payments with StarChapter Pay
- Create a custom website for your chapter
- Automatically send group emails and track email deliverability
- Some users say it’s hard to edit in StarChapter
- Others say they want cleaner formatting and more customization options
- Essential: $83/month for 150 members, plus a $779 setup fee
- Growth: $105/month for 300 members, plus a $1,079 setup fee
- Advanced: $133/month for 600 members, plus a $1,319 setup fee
- Pro: $165/month for 1,200 members, plus a $1,559 setup fee
StarChapter ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4.2/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (580+ reviews)
Mindbody is membership management software tailored to fitness, wellness, and beauty businesses. However, it’s most popular with gyms, yoga studios, and dance studios. 💃
If you want to make a name for yourself, Mindbody provides a white label app for managing member schedules and payments on the go.
Mindbody best features:
- Accept payments and schedule classes from within the Mindbody Android or iOS app
- Generate insights on your business with reports on sales, clients served, and utilization rates
- Use Mindbody to schedule employees, manage employee performance, conduct reviews, and do payroll
- Some users say they had a negative experience with Mindbody customer service
- Others say the sales reps are a bit pushy
- Contact for pricing
Mindbody ratings and reviews:
- G2: 3.6/5 (370+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4/5 (2,600+ reviews)
7. Workfolio Directory
Workfolio is a suite of tools that professional associations use to save time and streamline workflows. We like the microsite feature, which allows you to create microsites for your clients or build your own personal website—no coding required.
Workflow Directory is an equal parts staff directory, microsite platform, and profile management tool. It also offers specialized software solutions for legal, healthcare, and education, so there’s something for everybody. 🌻
Workfolio Directory best features:
- Build your own website in minutes with the WYSIWYG site builder
- If you’re a B2B operation, create a client microsite to wow your prospects
- Use the advanced member directory builder to create a robust directory with zero coding
Workfolio Directory limitations:
- Some users say they had to get creative to customize this member management application
- Other people say Workfolio has a lot of downtime
Workfolio Directory pricing:
- Team: $99/month for up to 50 members, billed annually
- Company: $249/month for up to 500 members, billed annually
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing, for 501+ members
Workfolio Directory ratings and reviews:
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (4 reviews)
Need a little zen in your life? ZenPlanner is a membership management and billing software for gyms and fitness businesses. It’s actually a full-on product suite with business software, a website builder, a CRM, billing, and more.
ZenPlanner has unique use cases for martial arts, functional fitness, boutique fitness, and gymnastics if you want software tailored to your business. 🤸
ZenPlanner best features:
- ZenPlanner comes with advanced workout tracking to give members more actionable data
- Users can automate emails, billing, and attendance tracking
- Use ZenPlanner’s partner, UpLaunch, for marketing automation, paid ads, and website creation
- While ZenPlanner is pretty good about rolling out new features, several people say the mobile app isn’t that great
- Other users say the platform is hard to navigate
- Up to 45 members: $99/month
- Up to 60 members: $129/month
- Up to 75 members: $149/month
- Up to 100 members: $176/month
- Up to 150 members: $209/month
- Up to 200 members: $227/month
- Up to 250 members: $247/month
- Over 251 members: $267/month
ZenPlanner ratings and reviews:
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.3/5 (240+ reviews)
MemberLeap is a three-pronged membership management software for membership management, event planning, and member engagement.
It might not look like the most modern membership management solution, but this platform is a solid option for membership billing, event app creation, and mass texts.
MemberLeap best features:
- MemberLeap simplifies collaboration and committee management
- Create interactive exhibit booths for virtual events
- Build message boards that allow members to chat with each other
- MemberLeap requires manual entry for some member data
- Some users say they had to reach out to customer support for bug fixes
- Contact for pricing
MemberLeap ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4.7/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (70+ reviews)
GrowthZone is all about growing your membership figures. If it’s high time to scale, this association management software (AMS) will get you there. It comes with helpful membership features like contacts, event planning (including online events), billing, and communications. 👀
But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. GrowthZone also comes with productivity tools like a form builder, web content management, and a mobile app builder.
GrowthZone best features:
- GrowthZone integrates marketing automation and sales funnel management
- Give your staff a mobile AMS app for loading contact data, managing event check-ins, and more
- Automate email marketing campaigns to personalize the member experience without lifting a finger
- Some users say GrowthZone does so much that it’s hard to get up to speed
- Other users report having difficulty with GrowthZone’s email marketing tool
- Contact for pricing
GrowthZone ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4.6/5 (40+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (190+ reviews)
ClickUp: The Membership Management Tool of Your Dreams
Members make your world go ‘round. Instead of spending hours every day sending emails or managing member data, choose the right membership management platform for the job. With the right tool in your corner, you’ll give members a better experience while cutting down on finicky admin tasks.
You’re busy and don’t have time to switch between different platforms. When time is money, go with the best membership management software: ClickUp. 🤩
We bring your projects, tasks, templates, communications, and membership management into one place. It’s so good, you’ll hardly know what to do with all the time you’ve saved.
But you don’t have to take our word for it—give it a try for yourself. Sign up for ClickUp now. It’s Free Forever!