A database management system (DBMS) can be a life saver for data management. It provides an organized way of storing, accessing, and managing the data. The DBMS makes it simpler to quickly access and update information from a centrally managed database.
With the help of a DBMS, users can add new data or edit existing data in the database. It also eliminates redundant tasks such as entering same data multiple times.
But which free database software should you go for?
In this article, we’ll explore what database management systems are and how you can choose the right one for your needs. We’ll also highlight the ten best free database software to help you out.
What Is Database Software?
Database software is a type of software designed to store and manage data. It is often used by businesses to organize and store large amounts of information, such as customer records or inventory information. Database software can be either client-server based or web-based, depending on the needs of the business.
Database software allows users to create multiple databases and tables that help organize information in an efficient and secure manner. It has powerful querying capabilities, making it easier for users to search for specific data quickly.
How To Choose the Right Free Database Tool for your Business
Choosing the right database solution can be as tough as deciding which Netflix show to binge on. There are just so many options to choose from!
Here are some filters you could apply to narrow down your search:
- Complexity: some database tools can be really complicated and would require some technical know-how. On the other hand, some free project management software helps you manage project-related data with ease
- Security: don’t want your data to fall into the wrong hands? Then, go for software that uses the latest data security techniques 🔐
- Integrations: integrations help you manage data across your favorite apps, be it your CRM software or your communication app
- Pricing: while we’ll be covering some of the best free database software, some tools will have paid plans that offer additional functionality, storage space, etc. So ensure you pick a database solution that gives you the best value for money
Now that we’ve completed our crash course on database software, let’s get down to business.
Top 10 Free Database Software
Here are the ten best free database software available today:
ClickUp is one of the highest-rated project management software in the world, loved by super-productive teams from startups to large corporations.
Use ClickUp’s Hierarchy to create your database and organize it into Workspace, Spaces, Folders, and more for effortless management. You can then use ClickUp’s filtering and search features to query the database and retrieve data based on specific criteria. ClickUp also allows users to import and export data, which can be helpful when working with large sets of data.
ClickUp key features
Here’s a quick look into how ClickUp helps you become a data ninja:
- Lists: list out your tasks with different tags, statuses, and Custom Fields to enhance clarity
- Docs: create all sorts of documents and store them alongside your projects for easy accessibility
- ClickUp’s Table view: use simple rows and columns to arrange, navigate, and export data in a flash
- Form view: collect customer feedback, client requirements, or any data you need with beautiful forms
- Relationships: link similar tasks and ideas, or even create an advanced database
- Dashboards: see what’s happening in your projects with a quick glance
- Resource management: use Workload view, Pulse, Profiles, and more to manage your resources efficiently
- Embed view: embed apps, websites, videos, or any content you need alongside your tasks
- Gantt chart: track your project progress using intuitive Gantt charts
- Views: Board, Box, Calendar, Timeline… open your eyes to unique work perspectives with ClickUp
- Custom Item Types: store, visualize, and present information any way you prefer, and add a layer of structure to relational databases
- Templates: Use ClickUp’s pre-built database templates like ClickUp’s Blog Database Template
- No Table view on the mobile app (yet)
Check out ClickUp’s roadmap to see how we’re fixing such minor issues, and explore all the amazing features that this free database software has in store for you. 🤩
- Free Forever Plan (best for personal use)
- Unlimited Plan (best for small teams ($5/member per month)
- Business Plan (best for mid-sized teams ($12/member per month)
- Business Plus Plan (best for multiple teams ($19/member per month)
Related 👉 Learn how to build a content database!
MySQL is an open source relational database management system from Oracle. Users can use the Structured Query Language to access and manage data in MySQL.
Wait, what’s a relational database?
A relational database management system stores similar data in tables, using rows and columns. It’s like an advanced evolution of your spreadsheets (minus all the stress.)
Fortunately, you don’t need an oracle to see if the MySQL database is truly yours.
We’ve read the cards for you… ✨
MySQL key features
- Data dictionary keeps a uniform record about database objects like tables
- Roles let you easily set privileges, like read-only access, to multiple user accounts
- Group attributes help a database administrator control the hardware consumption
- MySQL Workbench allows people like a database administrator, database architect, and developer work together
- Can perform poorly with larger datasets
- Server crashes can corrupt the system
- Outdated UI
- Community Edition (free)
- MySQL Standard Edition ($2000)
3. Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server is a popular relational database tool that helps you store and retrieve data using SQL queries.
It also has its own version of the SQL language called T-SQL (Transact-SQL) that provides additional functionality like error handling.
Microsoft SQL Server key features
- Built-in data classification, data protection, and monitoring features
- Enable customized data access based on user roles
- Power BI (Business Intelligence) Report Server to manage reports and KPIs
- Connector library helps you combine data from any data source
Microsoft SQL Server limitations
- Limited data partitioning capabilities
- Complicated licensing process that you’ll have to go through each time your license expires
- Can be expensive for small companies that want to scale up quickly
Microsoft SQL Server pricing
Here’s a quick look at some pricing plans of this database solution:
- Developer (free)
- Express (free)
- Standard – Client Access License ($209)
Airtable is a hybrid spreadsheet and database software that lets you manage data across tables. You can track customer data or even create a makeshift CRM solution with Airtable.
Airtable key features
- Bases act as relational databases that can store all your project information
- Tables help store a list of similar items
- Flexible views, like kanban and calendar views, to visualize data from different angles
- Dashboards with custom reporting options
- Free plan only supports 1200 records/base (a record is like a spreadsheet row)
- Has a steep learning curve
- Lacks advanced formulas to let users work on the data
This online database software offers three pricing options:
- Free plan
- Plus plan ($12/month per user)
- Pro plan ($24/month per user)
Check out other Airtable alternatives!
MongoDB is a NoSQL database management software that stores data in the form of documents.
We’ve mentioned SQL, so what’s NoSQL?
A NoSQL database stores data in non-tabular forms, such as a document database, graph database, etc. This makes it a suitable platform for managing unstructured data.
And while the ‘mongo’ in MongoDB refers to humongous data storage, their free plan only supports 512MB storage space.
MongoDB key features
- Real-time triggers for creating an event-driven data app
- Rich and expressive query language
- Integrated full-text search functionality
- MongoDB charts for data visualization and real-time business intelligence
- User reviews report that data duplication occurs as data scales
- Can have a steep learning curve
- Can be difficult to merge documents
This document database management tool’s cloud model offers a free plan with 512MB storage space for developing small applications.
For more functionality, you’ll have to contact support for paid plans.
PostgreSQL is a powerful, open-source object-relational database system. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness.
It runs on all major operating systems, including Linux, UNIX (AIX, BSD, HP-UX, SGI IRIX, Mac OS X, Solaris, Tru64), and Windows. PostgreSQL offers a comprehensive set of features that rival those of commercial databases like Oracle or MySQL.
Postgre SQL key features
- Open-Source: PostgreSQL is a free and open-source database system.
- ACID Compliance: Postgres supports ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability), ensuring data consistency and integrity.
- Extensible: PostgreSQL supports custom extensions and functions, making it highly customizable.
Postgre SQL limitations
- Complexity: PostgreSQL can be relatively complex for new users and may have a steeper learning curve than other database systems.
- Limited Support: PostgreSQL has a smaller user community than some other database systems, which can make finding support and troubleshooting more difficult.
- No Native Replication: Unlike some other database systems, PostgreSQL does not have native replication capabilities and requires additional set up.
Postgre SQL pricing
PostgreSQL is free to use.
7. Amazon RDS
Amazon RDS is a powerful cloud database service that helps you deploy and manage scalable relational databases in the cloud. It enables organizations to offload database administration tasks, such as patching and backups, while providing a secure, reliable platform with high availability and durability.
With Amazon RDS, users can easily scale their database up or down with a few clicks on the AWS Management Console, allowing them to quickly ramp up or down as needed.
Amazon RDS key features
- Scalability: Automatically scale compute and memory capacity, as well as storage resources.
- Reliability: Amazon RDS guarantees high availability with features like automated backups, replication for disaster recovery, and read replicas for improved performance.
Amazon RDS limitations
- Limited Database Support
- Vendor Lock-in
- Limited Customization Options
Amazon RDS pricing
Amazon RDS offers a free tier for new customers. Visit Amazon RDS’ pricing page for more information.
RazorSQL is a database query tool, programming editor, and database administration tool for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, and Solaris. RazorSQL allows users to connect to multiple databases from one application with a single click.
It has been designed to be powerful yet easy to use for both novice and advanced users alike. With its intuitive user interface, it’s the perfect tool for developers, database administrators, and webmasters alike.
RazorSQL key features
- Cross-platform support
- Code Generation Tools: RazorSQL can automatically generate SQL code for creating tables, views and more.
- Export & import tools
- Costly pricing plans
- No cloud storage support
- 1 User: $99.95
- 2-9 Users: $96.95
- 10-19 Users: $94.95
- 20+ Users: 92.95
Informix is a database management system that enables organizations to manage their data more efficiently and effectively. With its open architecture, it provides an innovative platform for accessing, analyzing, and managing structured and unstructured data. Its powerful query engine offers unparalleled performance and scalability.
Informix also offers built-in security features to protect sensitive information from unauthorized access or modification.
Informix key features
- Security features such as database encryption, user authentication, and role-based access control
- High performaning query optimization and parallel processing capabilities
- Low Cost of Ownership
- Limited platform support
- Poor documentation
Visit the IBM Informix pricing page for pricing information.
Altibase is a relational database management system that has been developed and used for more than 20 years. It’s an ideal choice for businesses looking for a powerful, yet cost-effective solution.
Altibase offers advanced features such as high availability, scalability, security, and performance to make it the perfect fit for any organization’s data needs.
Altibase key features
- Hybrid database capabilities
- Multi-threaded architecture and low overhead design
- Limited cloud support and limited usage for companies that prefer cloud-based deployments
- Limited documentation
Contact Altibase for pricing information.
Data Management Made Easy with ClickUp!
Whether you’re creating software wonders or managing marketing campaigns, you need database management software to store and manage all that valuable data.
And while we’ve covered five great free database software to help you out, what you need ultimately boils down to your requirements.
For instance, if you want a no-fuss tool to house all your project data, go for ClickUp.
With a whole lotta awesome features like Docs and relationships, ClickUp is the best database software for project data management.
So why not join ClickUp for free today !
Questions? Comments? Visit our Help Center for support.