As a project manager, you know it can be difficult to pinpoint where a task lives while cross-functional teams are working on it. Fortunately, a workflow visualization tool solves this challenge—Kanban boards.
You also know that not all project management tools are the same. This might be the second or fifth time around you’ve tested Kanban apps, but nothing has made the impact you’ve hoped for. So we created this list just for you: the top 20 Kanban software apps to help change how your teams work and communicate. Many of these apps have a free plan, and various pricing plans to choose from depending on your team’s size and software needs.
If you’re new to the Kanban method or need a refresher, let’s break down the design of Kanban boards.
- What is a Kanban board?
- The 20+ best Kanban apps to visualize work
- 5 practical Kanban board uses (with free ClickUp templates)
- ClickUp and Kanban are the perfect match
What is a Kanban board?
A Kanban board is a project management tool structured into columns to help teams visualize the amount of work in progress. A card (representing the task) moves through each column (representing the workflow status) from left to right until it reaches the Done column.
A pocket guide to Kanban board terms and concepts
Tasks required to complete a project are separated into individual cards that begin in the first column and move through the workflow until they’re in the Done column.
Each card has the task’s necessary’s information such as description, assignee(s), and deadline.
In its simplest form, a Kanban board is made of three columns. The traditional column names are To Do, Doing, and Done.
More Kanban columns can be added for a detailed workflow and defined as stages, specific teams, or individual team members.
A Work in Progress (WIP) limit is the number of task cards a Kanban board column can have at any given time.
There isn’t a “perfect” number to set WIP limits. The numbers depend on your team’s capacity and skills.
The commitment point is the act of pulling a Kanban card into the workflow to begin the work.
The delivery point is when the service or product is complete.
Swimlanes are horizontal rows that group related tasks that follow a similar process on a Kanban board.
How Kanban boards improve team workflows
Initially used in the manufacturing industry, Kanban boards have evolved to become a universal tool for different businesses. They’re flexible for detailed workflow stages and rigid to limit the number of tasks individuals take on. Here are other outcomes using a Kanban project management tool:
- Visibility into each stage of a task toward completion
- More predictability with a stable system
- A continuous flow of development
- Teams aren’t working on too many tasks at the same time with WIP limits
Now let’s find you the perfect Kanban tool! (Hint: it’s #1.)
Many of these apps have a free plan, and various pricing plans to choose from depending on your team’s size and software needs.
The 20+ best Kanban apps to visualize work
ClickUp is a free project management solution with time-saving Kanban tools that allow every team to manage multiple workflows, collaborate smarter, and bring all work under one tool. Whether you’re new to project management apps or a total power user, ClickUp’s customization can stretch and scale to any team size. Put together your preferred Kanban solution starting with these Kanban features in ClickUp:
🚦 Work in Progress Limits ClickApp: soft limits won’t block tasks from being created, moved, or updated even if it would make the column over the defined WIP limit
👤 Me Mode: only see tasks assigned to you, including comments and checklists you’re responsible for
📱 Board view in mobile: the ClickUp mobile app will help you manage projects while you’re on the go
🤖 ClickUp Automations: members can automate busywork such as assigning tasks based on criteria, updating statuses, sending emails to prospects, and more
✅ ClickUp pros
- Choose from 100 native integrations along with thousands available through Zapier and Make for a complete workflow management process
- Plan and manage your daily, weekly, quarterly, and yearly Goals at individual and team levels
- Record time from your desktop, mobile, or web browser through the free ClickUp Chrome extension for easy time tracking
❌ ClickUp cons
- Not all ClickUp views are available on the mobile app… yet!
💸 ClickUp pricing
- Free Forever Plan (best for personal use)
- Email in ClickUp
- Unlimited tasks and members
- Collaborative Docs
- 24/7 Support, and more
- Unlimited Plan (best for small teams) $5/member per month
- Everything in the Free Forever Plan and…
- Form view
- Unlimited Storage, Dashboards, and Custom Fields
- Agile reporting, and more
- Business Plan (best for mid-sized teams) $12/member per month
- Everything in the Unlimited Plan and…
- Custom reporting
- Advanced automation, time tracking, and Dashboard features
- Timelines, Mind Maps, and more
- Business Plus Plan (best for multiple teams) $19/member per month
- Everything in the Business Plan and…
- Subtasks in multiple Lists
- Custom permissions
- Custom capacity in workload
- Personalized admin training, and more
👉 If you need a full software suite to handle your Enterprise workloads and processes, we’d love to help set you up for success! Contact our sales team when you’re ready.
💬 ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (6,600+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,600+ reviews)
Trello is a recognizable Kanban tool under the Atlassian software family. Made of four key components—Kanban board, cards, lists, and board menu—teams can move work forward using Trello’s custom card and board buttons. The board menu includes the necessary settings to manage member permissions, search cards, and create automations. In addition, members can add colorful board backgrounds and card covers to add a bit of fun and personality.
✅ Trello pros
- The no-code automation feature, Butler, helps teams save time with administrative tasks
- Advanced checklists (a paid feature) for granular task assignments
❌ Trello cons
- Teams that regularly track multiple projects will need to select a Trello paid plan for unlimited Kanban boards
- Task dependencies are not easy to create or update compared to other top Kanban apps on this list
💸 Trello pricing
- Trello offers free and paid plans starting at $5/user per month
💬 Trello customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (12,540+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (20,630+ reviews)
👉 If you’re looking for Trello alternatives, we’ve shortlisted the top eight software for complex project management.
Proofhub is a project planning software enabling teams to plan every step and visualize their work progress. With the Kanban tool, you can see work move through stages and help team members prioritize tasks. It’s an intuitive platform for collaborating on ideas and keeping relevant files together.
✅ Proofhub pros
- Private task lists for assigned people only
- Recurring events and tasks feature
❌ Proofhub cons
- Lacks budgeting capabilities
- Not a suitable platform for agile project management compared to other top Kanban apps on this list
💸 Proofhub pricing
- Proofhub offers free and paid plans starting at $45/month flat
💬 Proofhub customer ratings
- G2: 4.5/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (60+ reviews)
Paymo is a project management software used by freelancers and small businesses. The Kanban view is among the most popular views among List, Table, Calendar, and Gantt features. Manage multiple workflows, track time, and bill clients from the same platform.
✅ Paymo pros
- Workflow customization and detailed cards
- Meta Kanban view for all tasks across all projects
❌ Paymo cons
- Task dependencies are not visible in the Kanban view
- No Kanban swimlanes, although cards can be group and filtered
💸 Paymo pricing
- Paymo offers free and paid plans starting at $4.95/user per month
💬 Paymo customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (570+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (420+ reviews)
5. Toggl Plan
Toggl Plan is a work management tool to plan, track, and deliver projects on time. With Toggl’s Kanban board feature, members get clear visual cues about their project’s status. So if simple drag-and-drop functionality, customized statuses, and in-task comments are in your list of Kanban project management software must-haves, Toggl Plan has a solution for you.
✅ Toggl Plan pros
- Multiple members can be assigned to a task
- Toggl Track software integrates with Toggl Plan for time tracking
❌ Toggl Plan cons
- No task dependencies (if this feature is non-negotiable for you, check out a few Toggl alternatives)
- Members are limited to two view options: Team timeline or Plan board
💸 Toggl Plan pricing
- Toggl Plan offers free and paid plans starting at $8/user per month
💬 Toggl Plan customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
The next Kanban software app with Kanban board views is Monday.com, a task management tool helping cross-functional teams align on their most important work. For example, project managers looking for real-time reporting can easily create project dashboards to increase the communication workflow.
✅ Monday.com pros
- Unlimited boards and docs in the free plan
- Customizable workflows to easily track projects
❌ Monday.com cons
- Features are not in-depth compared to other top Kanban board apps on this list (compare Monday.com and ClickUp features)
- Dashboards are a paid premium feature
💸 Monday.com pricing
- Monday.com offers free and paid plans starting at $8/user per month
💬 Monday.com customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (5,250+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2,630+ reviews)
👉 Compare Monday.com vs Asana!
Asana’s Kanban board tools make it easy for teams to visualize their progress in real-time. For example, if a member is looking for a specific task, they can use the Advanced Search tool to look within particular columns. Additionally, members will receive a notification when tasks move through sections, so everyone stays on the same page.
✅ Asana pros
- Members can perform bulk actions on tasks to save time
- Kanban board view is available on the free plan
❌ Asana cons
- Only one assignee per task (learn about single vs multiple assignees)
- Subtasks can be challenging, so members will need to consider finding workarounds for complex projects
💸 Asana pricing
- Asana offers free and paid plans starting at $10.99/user per month
💬 Asana customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (8,180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (10,520+ reviews)
👉 Are you using Asana for tasks but need more powerful project management software? Integrate Asana and ClickUp today!
Check out these Asana Alternatives!
Wrike project management software is ideal for small agencies needing a customizable workspace to organize shared calendars, schedule projects easily, and collaborate. Also, approvers can expedite feedback using Wrike’s visual markup tool.
👉 Learn how ClickUp’s flexible platform allows you to do more than Wrike!
✅ Wrike pros
- Kanban board view allows complete visibility of tasks
- Time tracking feature to compare estimated versus actual time spent
❌ Wrike cons
- Steep learning curve for new users (check out Wrike alternatives)
- Gantt charts are not available in the free version
💸 Wrike pricing
- Wrike offers free and paid plans starting at $9.80/user per month
💬 Wrike customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (2,440+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (1,710+ reviews)
MeisterTask is a visual project management tool centered around the Kanban system. Members can easily manage their team’s daily business inside sleek and customizable Kanban boards. With project management features such as unlimited sections, automation, and multiple checklists, teams can communicate and collaborate throughout their workflow.
✅ MeisterTask pros
- Task relationship links (related, duplicate, or blocking) feature to keep project members informed
- Built-in time tracker that comes in handy for team calculations and projections
❌ MeisterTask cons
- WIP limits, unlimited projects, and reporting are paid features
- One assignee per task
💸 MeisterTask pricing
- MeisterTask offers free and paid plans starting at $8.25/user per month
💬 MeisterTask customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (160+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (980+ reviews)
Kanbanize tracks, updates, and automatically reports status across all projects within an organization. This data enables teams to focus on finishing work and improving processes. With Kanbanize, team members and stakeholders can collaborate faster and deliver better results.
✅ Kanbanize pros
- Analytic tools such as Cumulative Flow Diagram, Cycle Time Scatter Plot, and WIP Aging chart
- Interlinked Kanban boards on a team and management level
❌ Kanbanize cons
- Not ideal for businesses outside of software and engineering industries
- Setup and configuration may be time-intensive
💸 Kanbanize pricing
- Kanbanize offers paid plans starting at $149 for 15 users per month
💬 Kanbanize customer ratings
- G2: 3.8/5 (10+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (100+ reviews)
11. Planview Leankit
Planview Leankit enables lean and agile teams to share a consolidated view of work priority and status with flexible Kanban boards. Members have what they need to efficiently plan and execute project tasks with WIP limits, real-time work status, and work item history features.
✅ Planview LeanKit pros
- Categorization labels that represent different types of work on a Kanban board
- Complete audit trail of all changes made to a card
❌ Planview LeanKit cons
- Lack of customization capabilities to cards and custom fields compared to other top Kanban board apps on this list
- Steep learning curve
💸 Planview LeanKit pricing
- Inquire with Planview LeanKit for pricing
💬 Planview LeanKit customer ratings
- G2: 4.1/5 (320+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (30+ reviews)
Nifty lets you work on large-scale projects with multiple team members. Like most project management tools, it’s a collaborative workspace that helps you and your team organize tasks, track time, and manage documents. Combined with the Kanban methodology, members can organize, prioritize, and manage daily work with a high level of detail.
✅ Nifty pros
- Portfolio management feature to view members and statuses at a glance
- Offers different user roles and permissions to control access levels
❌ Nifty cons
- The free plan is limited to two active projects
- Expensive paid plans to use core features
💸 Nifty pricing
- Nifty offers free and paid plans starting at $39/user per month
💬 Nifty customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (330+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (120+ reviews)
13. Kanban Tool
Kanban Tool is a visual management software for teams to identify and eliminate bottlenecks, collaborate in real-time, and limit work in progress. As a result, members can control their projects and analyze workflows to improve efficiencies.
✅ Kanban Tool pros
- One-click collapsible columns and swimlanes, allowing focus on specific areas only
- File attachments with image preview
❌ Kanban Tool cons
- Customization capabilities are limited compared to other top Kanban board apps on this list
- Not suitable for businesses with 2+ team members
💸 Kanban Tool pricing
- Kanban Tool offers free and paid plans starting at $5/user per month
💬 Kanban Tool customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (90+ reviews)
Blossom is a Kanban project management tool allowing software development teams to map their entire workflow to view each member’s tasks. At a glance, members can see which tasks are ready for the next stage or blocked with colored “stamps” in the corner of the Kanban cards.
✅ Blossom pros
- Comments are auto-saved if you navigate and come back to the card later
- The cycle time of Kanban cards is shown on every completed Kanban card
❌ Blossom cons
- Lacks customization of Kanban boards, cards, task statuses, and team communication
- @Mentions to team members are not a native feature in the platform
💸 Blossom pricing
- Inquire with Blossom for pricing
💬 Blossom customer ratings
- G2: 5/5 (2 reviews)
- Capterra: N/A
Flow-e is a task management tool with a Kanban-like workflow by turning Outlook mailboxes into a visual taskboard. Members can drag and drop a card from the Flow-e inbox into Kanban columns and track work in progress. Additional features include a timeline at the bottom of the app to see meetings and reminders on a timeline.
✅ Flow-e pros
- Taskboard with unlimited columns in the free plan
- Standalone task cards in the workflow
❌ Flow-e cons
- The free plan allows up to two email accounts
- Not suitable for agile teams who need flexible customization features to build their workflows
💸 Flow-e pricing
- Inquire with Flow-e for pricing
💬 Flow-e customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (5 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (6 reviews)
16. Microsoft Planner
Microsoft Planner includes Kanban boards with detailed task cards for teams to focus and organize work better in one place. As part of Microsoft 365, Planner users can also connect to Microsoft To Do, SharePoint, Power Automate, and other apps for efficient task management.
✅ Microsoft Planner pros
- Android and iOS mobile apps to update tasks on the go
- Attachment preview and link to display on the Planner
❌ Microsoft Planner cons
- Microsoft Planner as a standalone app isn’t a solution for an all-in-one task management tool
- Less flexibility with customization and integrations
💸 Microsoft Planner pricing
- Inquire with Microsoft Planner for subscription plans
💬 Microsoft Planner customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (120+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (7,830+ reviews)
👉 We have a step-by-step tutorial on how to create a Kanban board in Excel just for you!
Smartsheet is a project management tool that lets you manage, track, and plan multiple projects. Card view is one of the four views that makes task organization easy with drag-and-drop cards. When enabled, the sheet turns into a Kanban board structure based on the values in your dropdown list, contact list, or symbols columns. For more information, check out our Smartsheet Project Management Guide!
✅ Smartsheet pros
- Custom branding can be applied to the entire account
- Cards can be reorganized for better prioritization within the same Kanban board column
❌ Smartsheet cons
- No free plan is available
- Not suitable for small agencies
💸 Smartsheet pricing
- Smartsheet offers free and paid plans starting at $7/user per month
💬 Smartsheet customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (7,220+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (2,250+ reviews)
The next best Kanban software is Zenhub, a tool for agile teams to track, plan, and execute software projects. With Zenhub Boards and a project’s GitHub issues, teams can move issues between pipelines and prioritize the work that matters most.
✅ Zenhub pros
- Different teams can use the same GitHub repos across multiple boards
- Workflow automation features automatically sync your project as GitHub issues are updated and completed
❌ Zenhub cons
- The platform is tailored to software teams
- Works best if connected to GitHub
💸 Zenhub pricing
- Zenhub offers free and paid plans starting at $7.95/user per month
💬 Zenhub customer ratings
- G2: 4.3/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (20+ reviews)
19. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects is a project management software offering Kanban board tools to visualize project plans easily. The Kanban columns are based on task criteria such as percentage completion or priority. With the drag-and-drop feature, members can change task status and priority as work progresses.
✅ Zoho Projects pros
- Zoho Sprints offers four different work in progress types for further customization
- Task Workflow Rules feature to configure desired actions
❌ Zoho Projects cons
- A limited free plan that doesn’t include features such as time tracking, subtasks, or reminders
- Not suitable as an all-in-one solution for marketing or sales teams
💸 Zoho Projects pricing
- Zoho Projects offers free and paid plans starting at $5/user per month
💬 Zoho Projects customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (260+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (240+ reviews)
Pipefy is a workflow solution with a no/low-code platform. Members can automate tasks, integrate tools, and easily update stakeholders about their requests for on-time delivery. Smart workflows are necessary for businesses that want to scale, and Pipefy has a suite of project management features to get teams up and running.
✅ Pipefy pros
- Service portals centralize documents, policies, and request forms
- Native Integrations with Slack, GitHub, BitBucket, and Google Hangouts
❌ Pipefy cons
- Mid-sized teams will have to pay a high price tag to build a simple Kanban board
- Customization options are paid features
💸 Pipefy pricing
- Pipefy offers free and paid plans starting at $24/user per month
💬 Pipefy customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (180+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (260+ reviews)
Jira is a bug-tracking and project software geared towards agile and technical power users. For example, a development team might have a long-running first column of backlog items. So Jira added a backlog in Kanban development projects placed in a different project tab. When product managers move work from the backlog to the board, teams know what’s coming next.
✅ Jira pros
- WIP limits can exclude subtasks from the Kanban board column count to ensure all action items for a specific task won’t be shut out
- Integrations with 3,000+ apps
❌ Jira cons
- Complicated user interface and migration make managing tasks burdensome (read ClickUp’s Jira review)
- Teams considering Jira will need to use another software app for simple project management (learn why ClickUp is the #1 Jira alternative)
💸 Jira pricing
- Jira offers free and paid plans starting at $7.50/user per month
💬 Jira customer ratings
- G2: 4.2/5 (4,560+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (11,430+ reviews)
5 practical Kanban board uses (with free ClickUp templates)
1. Vacation Planning template
Say goodbye to overcrowded family group chats with the Vacation Planning template! Organize your Kanban board (or boards!) with all the essential communication and information. Attach pictures to a task card, include a pricing Custom Field, and link websites—all in the name of vacation. 🏝
2. CRM template
Centralize information with a clean and powerful CRM Kanban board template! Then automate the busy work to concentrate on activities that move the needle. You’re only a few clicks away from the best workflow tool to help you scale your business. 📈
3. Hiring Candidates template
Grab our Hiring Candidates template to organize all the tasks and information to recruit the best talent! Connect a ClickUp Form, Google Form, Typeform, or any application tool via Zapier to automate a new task for each applicant. 🤖
4. Team Requests template
Establish a well-oiled system to prioritize work orders with the Team Requests template! Track all work in progress and provide updates directly from the Board view. Replace requests via email faster than freshly-baked cupcakes disappearing from the employee breakroom. ⚡️
5. Blog Management template
Snag the Blog Management template and you’ll never look back! Switch between the Board view and Calendar view to see daily workloads while also getting the big picture. Brainstorm new topics, optimize your content, track deadlines, statuses, and so much more! ✍️
👉 There’s an entire library of ClickUp templates for all your Kanban needs you can access for free! Or check out our Kanban board examples for more inspiration. 💡
ClickUp and Kanban are the perfect match
Finding the right project management tool can be a long-winded process, but it doesn’t have to be! Sign up for a free ClickUp account and take control of your work productivity today!
Questions? Comments? Visit our Help Center for support.