12 Best Time Blocking Apps for 2022 (Pricing, Key Features, Ratings)
From chat notifications to your coworker’s fashion faux pas, there can be several distractions in the workplace.
Now, imagine being a new assistant like Andy to an impatient boss like Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada.
Fortunately, you can use time blocking apps to keep your work schedule on track and have enough time for deep work.
In this article, we’ll understand what time blocking is and what makes a great time blocking app.
We’ll then explore the 12 best time blocking apps that can quickly turn you into a role model for this time management technique.
Ready to walk down the app runway? Let’s go.🚶
What Is Time Blocking and Why Use It?
Time blocking involves dividing your entire day into blocks of time.
You can create separate time blocks for deep work, creativity, leisure, workouts, etc.
Maybe Andy can use time blocking for Miranda to go through the Runway’s spring collection or enjoy her morning latte. ☕
The idea is to do a specific task during a particular time block and finish it within that time frame.
However, while defining time blocks, you must also consider the complexity of the tasks at hand. It helps keep your time blocks realistic, and you can focus on one task at a time.
Likewise, you can use the blocking method to manage any shallow work that doesn’t require much attention but is still important, such as responding to emails.
This way, you gain much more control over your entire day because you’ve scheduled every minute.
Time blocking also helps you:
- Eliminate distractions and interruptions
- Get better at meeting deadlines and setting accurate time estimates
- Improve work habits and adopt the GTD (Getting Things Done) approach for task management
Time blocking apps are worth a try, but which qualifies as the best time blocking apps?
Let’s find out.
What Makes a Great Time Blocking App?
An excellent time blocking calendar app:
- Shows your calendar and tasks in one place
- Has a drag-and-drop option to move your tasks onto the calendar and block time
- Has a simple interface that lets you add tasks quickly
- Supports task batching to group similar tasks together
- Allows day theming to let you focus only on one task a day
- Prevents multitasking and context switching for better focus
- Integrates with your current calendar app and project management tools
Now that you know what features to focus on let’s explore the best time blocking apps and what they offer.
12 Best Time Blocking Apps for 2022
Here’s a rundown of the 12 best time blocking apps on the market:
It’s the ultimate scheduling app that lets you drag and drop tasks to block time on a calendar. You can also create time blocks using time estimates, time tracking, etc.
Let’s see what you can do with this project management tool.
Manage your time effectively with Native Time Tracking
With ClickUp’s Native Time Tracking, you can easily track your time on tasks and focus on deep work.
Additionally, this time blocking planner has a Global Timer to start or stop time from any device and jump between different tasks.
And if you forget to hit the start button, no worries. With ClickUp, you can manually log time too.
You can even sort work by time spent, add notes to time entries, and apply labels to categorize the time spent on different tasks.
Meet ClickUp’s Time Tracking widgets. You can use them to build your own time blocking dashboard.
These widgets include:
Set time estimates for tasks so team members can block the required hours on their calendars.
B. Time Tracked
Check whether the time you log in meets the Time Estimates. It helps create more realistic time blocks for future tasks.
C. Time Reporting
See the time estimated and time tracked to quickly compare if your team can work within the defined time blocks.
View tracked time for any given week, month, or set a custom range. You can also view the total time spent for a selected time range.
E. Billable Report
Mark time as billable and quickly generate time reports for invoices or internal reviews.
Check out other ClickUp features that can help employees like Andy boost their productivity:
- Calendar view: use a simple drag and drop interface to add tasks to your Workspace agenda and block time
- Timeline view: create visual roadmaps of time blocks to plan your work
- Start and due dates: create clear timeframes by deciding when to start and complete tasks
- Priorities: classify tasks by importance, so you know for which priority tasks you need to block your time first
- Dashboard: create a customized mission control center to get an overview of the time spent on different tasks and projects
- Milestones: quickly identify tasks signifying the end of a larger group of tasks and set them as progress markers
- Task checklists: create simple to-do lists within a task and block time for each to micromanage your task
- Sprints: set sprint dates, assign points, or mark priorities to let everyone know when they need to block their time and for what
- Docs: create internal wikis or knowledge base for your teams. You can also add multiple authors or collaborators to your pages and use multiplayer editing to collaborate on scheduling the team’s time
ClickUp has a Free Forever Plan that supports unlimited tasks and members. The paid plans start as low as $5/user per month.
ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (3,300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,275+ reviews)
Clockify is a good calendar app for deep work. You can log tasks, meetings, events, etc., and use a time tracker to track tasks and their duration.
However, it’s difficult to edit the task time if you forget to start or stop the timer.
Clockify won’t help Andy justify those lost hours to Miranda. 🙋♀️
Clockify key features
- Calendar to track time visually and log activities
- Time tracker that works as a stopwatch
- Timesheet to log weekly activities
- Invoice generation based on tracked time and hourly rates
You can download the browser extension or app (Android, iOS) for free.
Clockify customer ratings
- G2: 4.4/5 (80+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,570+ reviews)
With the time tracking app HourStack, you can block time for a day or week. You can even roll over tasks to work on them later.
However, the app lacks a dashboard feature to monitor your team’s time. You’ll need to export data to create your charts.
Who wants to tell that to Miranda? 🤐
HourStack key features
- Time tracker that starts directly from your calendar
- Individual and team calendar views
- Time charts and visualizations to get insights
- Multiple workspaces to maintain separate client or team time
Starts at $12/user per month.
HourStack customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (10+ reviews)
Sunsama is a daily planning and time management app that makes time blocking painless. In the app, you can drag-and-drop tasks from your favorite apps and even use the app as a focus booster.
Sunsama features a two-way integration with ClickUp so you can browse and make changes to all of your ClickUp tasks from right inside of Sunsama and vice-versa!
Sunsama key features
- Rollover unfinished tasks to the next day
- Block time for tasks in other productivity apps like ClickUp, Trello or Asana
- Track daily team progress
- Sync with your Google or Outlook calendar
Starts at $16 per month.
Sunsama customer ratings
- G2: 4.8/5 (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (10+ reviews)
TimeCamp is a free time blocking app you can use to track productivity and create time estimates.
However, it’s hard to adjust tracked time manually if you forget to stop the timer. 🙊 ⏲
TimeCamp key features
- Productivity tracking to gain insights on time spent
- Timesheet to add, adjust and delete time entries
- Fully automated time tracker, including an overtime calculator
- Custom-built time reports
TimeCamp has a free plan. Paid one starts at $7/user per month.
TimeCamp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (170+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (530+ reviews)
Already use Trello for task management?
Then, you can visualize your Trello cards on the Planyway calendar.
You can time block your Trello task slots and track time from this calendar.
However, this app doesn’t work offline.
Planyway key features
- Set time estimates for tasks
- Compare estimated vs. actual time spent
- Timesheet to log time spent on Trello tasks
- Connect events from Google and Outlook
It has a free plan. Paid plans start at $3.50/user per month.
Planyway customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (290+ reviews)
TimeBloc is a simple productivity app with basic time blocking and scheduling features.
It’s available for both Android and iOS devices.
However, this time blocking software crashes too often.
TimeBloc key features
- Timeline to block a day into multiple events
- Calendar events sync automatically
- Routine, once created, gets integrated into the timeline
- Visual statistics to track progress
The app has a free version. Its premium version starts at $19.99.
TimeBloc customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
8. Google Calendar
You can use Google Calendar to schedule time blocks directly into your calendar.
You can even create a shared time blocking calendar with your teammates.
However, it’s difficult to integrate different email addresses in this app.
Google Calendar key features
- Multiple views like day, week, and month
- Events from Gmail get added automatically
- Get calendar entry suggestions like event titles, people, and places
- Schedule view along with images and maps
Google Calendar pricing
It’s a free calendar app (Android, iOS). It’s also available as a part of the Google Workspace, costing $5/user per month.
Google Calendar customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1,150+ reviews)
TickTick is another productivity app with scheduling and task management features.
You can use it to note down ideas or unexpected tasks and block time for priorities.
However, TickTick can sometimes fail to sync your important tasks and data.
Surely, the details of its incompetence won’t interest Miranda.
TickTick key features
- Multiple calendar views for daily and monthly tasks
- Smart date parsing to add tasks as reminders
- Option to set durations for time-consuming tasks
- Pomodoro timer to work in intervals
It’s a free task management app. The premium version costs $2.79/month.
TickTick customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (50+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (60+ reviews)
Fantastical is an iOS task list app with time-blocking features.
You can use this with the Apple Calendar on your iPad or iPhone to schedule tasks and other important events. You can also create reminders for your time-blocked events.
What’s not so fantastic about this calendar app? The free version offers limited features.
Fantastical key features
- Multiple views for day, week, month, or year
- Calendar sets to group multiple calendars and task lists together
- Templates to schedule frequent events
- You can check contact availability and block time that works for everyone
It’s a free list app.
Fantastical customer ratings
- G2: 4.6/5 (5+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (10+ reviews)
Clockwise is a free calendar app that works as a Chrome extension.
You can use it to schedule meetings, manage work across time zones, and resolve time conflicts.
However, sometimes, this time blocking app tends to duplicate calendar events.
Clockwise key features
- Free up blocks of uninterrupted time with autopilot
- Move flexible meetings to the least disruptive time
- Automatically create focus time for each week
- Measure progress with time analytics and review emails
Clockwise offers a free plan. The paid ones start at $5/user per month.
Clockwise customer ratings
- G2: 4.8/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (50+ reviews)
Plan is a good app for task management that also works as a to-do list.
You can even sync it with Google and Outlook calendars.
But if you already use a task manager, you’ll have to transfer every single task manually.
Now imagine having 100+ tasks to transfer to this to-do list. 🥴
Who else has a better plan?
Plan key features
- Calendar to add agendas and block time
- Drag and drop timeline view
- Team feed to organize work conversations
- Integration with JIRA, Zendesk, Salesforce, and Github
There’s a free plan, and the paid plan starts at $5/user per month.
Plan customer ratings
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: N/A
Who’s the Time Blocking App Showstopper?
All the blocking apps listed here can help you manage your daily schedule.
Some are great at time tracking. Other blocking apps can integrate multiple calendars into one app.
ClickUp can do it all!
Whether you’re looking for a calendar app, complete task manager, or an excellent time blocker app with a free plan, ClickUp is all you need.
What’s holding you back?
Join ClickUp for free and strut through your day like a boss.