Remember at the beginning of the year when you were asked:
“What’s your New Year’s Resolution?”
Yep, that dreaded annual question commonly asked by our enthusiastic friends.
And of course, we gave similarly enthusiastic answers, like leaving unhealthy habits behind and building positive ones!
But we all know how this goes:
We stick to that daily routine for a few days, weeks, or months, and then we fall back into our old habits.
Luckily, there are plenty of habit tracker apps out there to help you stay on track!
In this article, we’ll take a look at what a habit tracking app is, and we’ll highlight the ten best tools you can use, along with their key features, pros, limitations, pricing, and customer ratings to help you find the best habit tracking app!
What Is a Habit Tracker App?
Habit tracking apps are designed to help us set goals, track habit progress, and get rid of negative ones.
Here are some of the features found in habit and goal tracking apps:
- Daily checklists features
- Reminders and notifications
- Recurring tasks
- Progress tracking
- Reports and statistics
This way, you can stay focused and keep yourself on track!
The 8 Best Habit Tracking Apps in 2023
Here are ten habit tracker apps that’ll help you stay on track:
From letting you brainstorm how you’re going to break a bad habit with Mind Maps, to helping you prioritize habits in the correct order with Task Priorities, ClickUp is the best habit tracking app out there.
Here’s how ClickUp can help with habit building and habit-breaking:
But wait, how do you set a Goal in ClickUp?
Simply go to “Goals” in ClickUp and create a new Goal by clicking the “+new goal” button.
Here’s what else you can set:
- The name of your Goal
- The due date
- Who’s responsible for it, and more
To add some Targets, just hit the “add target” button.
Here are the different Target types:
- Number: keep track of how much weight you’ve lost due to your new exercising routine
- True/False: check if you’ve completed your new daily habit or not
- Currency: want to quit being a shopaholic? This Target type helps you keep an eye on where your money is going
- Tasks: need to complete a group of tasks? This Target type tracks the completion of those tasks for you
And while you go about building some habits, ClickUp automatically calculates how close you are to achieving your goals.
Want to make it a habit to be more neat and organized?
ClickUp’s got your back.
Sometimes it’s easier to break bad habits (or learn new ones) if you’re doing it alongside others with the same goals.
Weekly Scorecards are the perfect solution to help you form positive habits and break the bad ones as a team. With Weekly Scorecards, every team member can see what everyone is doing throughout the week.
This way, team members stay accountable and motivated!
ClickUp’s also fantastic at helping you form healthy habits.
With Reminders, you’ll never forget that you’ve gotta stick to that new habit!
On top of that, Recurring Tasks automate the rescheduling of daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly tasks for you.
Other key ClickUp features
- Dashboards: visualize how your work is progressing, how much time you’ve spent on your tasks, and more
- Notepad: jot down a few habits you want to break/build or write down reflection notes for later
- Docs: use this feature as a habit-tracking journal to capture your progress and thoughts
- Checklists: create simple to-do lists within your tasks and check off items on the go
- Native Time Tracking: track how much time it takes for you to build a positive habit
- Table Widgets: need to track habits as a team? Add Table Widgets to your Dashboard to see how every teammate is progressing towards their habit-building goals
- Templates: use Templates for Personal Planning, Getting Things Done, Task Management, and more
- Custom Notifications: choose when and how you get notified about ClickUp tasks and projects
- Powerful free version with unlimited users
- Easy-to-use user interface with online and Offline Mode
- Get a visual of your scheduled tasks for the upcoming days, week, or even months with the Calendar view
- Gamify your team’s habit tracking process with Workspace Points
- Privacy, Guests, and Permissions can keep your personal goal private by choosing who has access to it
- Sync your ClickUp tasks with your Google Calendar, Outlook Calendar, and Apple Calendar with Calendar Syncing
- Integrates with several third-party software like Calendly, Evernote, Google Assistant, and more
- Add Tasks and create Reminders on our powerful Android or iOS app
- Supports Apple, Windows, and Linux platforms
- Not all ClickUp views are available on the mobile app… yet!
Take a look at ClickUp’s roadmap to see how we’re fixing such minor drawbacks.
And don’t miss out on all the exciting features that this free habit tracker app has in store for you!
ClickUp offers numerous pricing plans, including:
- Free Forever Plan (best for personal use)
- Unlimited Plan (best for small teams ($7/member per month)
- Business Plan (best for mid-sized teams ($12/member per month)
- Business Plus Plan (best for multiple teams ($19/member per month)
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp customer ratings
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
Bonus: Cool apps for your team!
Habitica is a game-based habit tracking app. If you’re looking for a fun, easygoing way to form some great habits, then Habitica is a fantastic choice.
However, keep in mind that sometimes video game-based apps can lead to all play and no work! 🎮
We’re serious; some players get so obsessed with the gaming aspect that they end up using cheats to win.
Habitica key features
- In-game punishments and rewards for motivation
- Track and manage a habit, daily goal, or to-do list
- Fully-customizable task lists
- Every time you check off a task, you get to level up your Avatar
- Available on iOS, Android, and the web
- The app lets you gamify your progress, which makes habit-building a fun process
- Access to a group chat and group task board in the group plan
- No free plan
- Since there are punishments in the game, it may make users fear failure, and users may revert to cheating
- The initial setup can be difficult
Habitca’s general subscription is $5/month and can be purchased in one-, three-, six-, or twelve-month blocks. But they also have a group plan ($9/month and $3/member) with features like team-based task lists and group management control.
Habitica customer ratings
- App Store: 4.1/5 (1,000+ reviews)
- Google Play 4.2/5 (19,000+ reviews)
Streaks is a simple habit tracker that helps you build good habits. The app keeps you motivated by extending your habit streak every time you complete a task.
One of the drawbacks of this habit tracking app is that it’s got a pretty steep learning curve.
Guess you’ll just have to spend all your time getting to know the app instead of knocking down your bad habits!
Streaks key features
- Set specific days for each task
- View task statistics and track your progress every day
- App Icon widget that shows your current progress
- Integrate the Streaks app with the iOS Health app to create healthy habits
- Available for iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac
- The interface is fully customizable
- Create negative tasks to break bad habits
- You’re limited to 12 tasks per day
- No android version available
- No custom task statuses or custom icons
This habit tracker app costs $4.99/user per month.
Streaks customer ratings
- App Store: 4.8/5 (16,000+ reviews)
- Google Play: N/A
Strides is a straightforward habit tracking app that offers you four different habit tracking views so you can make strides the way you want.
But with a free plan that’s limited to three habits, we’re not sure how big of a stride you can make.
Strides key features
- Four habit tracking views, including a calendar view, line chart, bar chart, and more
- Use a tracker template to set a SMART goal
- Get deeper insights with progress reports
- Tags to help you categorize multiple habits
- Available for iPhone, iPad and, Apple Watch
- Powerful daily, weekly, and week-day reminders
- Gives you motivation by congratulating you when you achieve your goals
- The app is only suitable for individuals, not teams
- No Android app available
- Limited to basic task tracking features
This habit tracker app has a free plan, and paid plans start at $4.99/user per month.
Strides customer ratings
- App Store: 4.8/5 (11,000+ reviews)
- Google Play: N/A
Habitify is a daily habit tracker app that helps you form good habits that really stick.
One of the drawbacks of this online habit tracker is that its free plan is super limited; for example, you don’t get unlimited habits!
Habitify key features
- Document your progress with the built-in note-taking feature
- Multiple reminders to keep you on track
- Detailed weekly and monthly reports make this app both a weekly and monthly habit tracker
- Set time goals for all your habits
- Supports Android, iOS, Apple Watch, and Mac
- Keep your habit-building goals secure with facial recognition and fingerprint lock
- Choose between a light or dark mode
- The app can be buggy when setting reminders and using the calendar
- Limited to three habits in the free plan
- Can’t select custom dates for progress reports
This habit tracking app has a free plan, and paid plans start at $4.99/month.
Habitify customer ratings
- App Store: 4.4/5 (200+reviews)
- Google Play: 4.1/5 (1,600+ reviews)
Coach.me is more of a community-based habit tracker app. You can sign up for personal coaching or become a life coach yourself!
Since this goal tracker app is community-based, you don’t get to create your own habits. You’ll have to join a community that’s working towards the same goals you’ve set for yourself.
Coach.me key features
- Track weekly and monthly progress
- Get advice and personal help from professional life coaches
- Choose when and how many times a week you want to complete a specific habit
- Choose to get an email or device reminder
- Available for iPhone, Android, and Web
- Build and improve your own coaching business through the directory and referral program
- Break bad habits alongside a community and keep your habit-building goals private when you want to
- This habit tracking app can be buggy, and check-ins get deleted
- The personal coach feature is expensive
- Limited to one view only (today view)
- You have to rely on group habits and can’t set your own habits
Coach.me is a free app, but it’ll cost you $25/week or more if you want a personal coach.
Coach.me customer ratings
- App Store: 4.3/5 (200+ reviews)
- Google Play: 3.5/5 (4,000+ reviews)
7. Way of Life
Way of Life is a habit tracker app that helps its users build a healthier version of themselves.
Let’s see if this app will help you build healthy habits:
Way of Life key features
- A unique color-coded system to keep track of your habits
- Consistent reminders to help you form good habits and break bad ones
- Capture your thoughts with the built-in diary feature
- Choose between a variety of colorful themes that suit your mood
Way of Life pros
- Available on iPhone and Android
- Charts that show your trends over weeks, months, or even years
- Keep your habits private with a PIN, Face ID, or Touch ID
Way of Life limitations
- Limited progress tracking features. You can only say yes or no for your progress
- Can’t track an unlimited number of habits or backup to any cloud storage provider in the free plan
- Can’t set recurring tasks
Way of Life pricing
This habit tracker app has a free version, and the premium version starts at $4.99/user per month.
Way of Life customer ratings
- App Store: 4.8/5 (3,000+ reviews)
- Google Play: 3.5/5 (500+ reviews)
Productive is a habit tracker app that helps you keep track of your daily habits and activities. It also provides progress tracking features, such as charts to see how well you’re doing with a particular task over weeks or months.
Productive key features
- Habit tracking with various goal setting options
- Progress tracking features like charts and reports
- Ability to set recurring tasks
- Easy to use and intuitive design
- Available on iOS, Android, and desktop
- No cloud storage back-up options
- Limited progress tracking features
Productive is free to use, with an optional premium plan available for $6.99/month per user.
Productive Customer Ratings
- App Store: 4.6/5 (85,000+ reviews)
Weekdone is one of the most popular habit and goal tracking apps for work. Weekdone has one-on-ones and weekly check-ins to boost employee morale.
Weekdone key features
- Clear and transparent goal setting features to track long-term and short term goals
- Automated status reporting
- Customizable reporting and dashboards
- Built-in accountability features
- Provides an overview of goals to stay on tack with habits
- Only supports up to three people in the free plan
- Learning curve for new users
- There are no monthly progress reports (only weekly reports)
This goal tracking app has a free plan, and its paid plan starts at $90 for 4–10 users when billed annually.
GoalsOnTrack is a habit tracking and productivity tool that helps you stay motivated and on track with your goals.
GoalsOnTrack key features
- Visual goal dashboard to view of all your goal targets, daily tasks and the habits you want to keep
- SMART goal feature to form and evaluate your goals to make sure it’s a SMART goal
- Subgoals, tasks and outcomes
- Supports multi-level goal structures
- Mobile-friendly features
- Time tracking capabilities
- No free plan
- Cannot be used offline
- Limited visualization features to track your goals
This habit tracker costs $68/user annually.
Let’s Make it a Habit! ✔
A habit tracking app is incredibly helpful because it gives you a visual representation of your progress. On top of that, habit-forming apps have features like built-in reminders, recurring tasks, detailed reports, and more to keep you focused.
So, the next time an enthusiastic friend asks you what your New Year’s resolution is gonna be, simply say it’s getting a habit tracker app!
However, your New Year’s resolution can’t be to get any habit app.
You need a productive habit tracker app, like ClickUp, that’ll help you get the job done.
Make it a habit to make use of ClickUp for free every day!