Whether you’re managing real estate, juggling field operations, scheming logistics and transportation, or travel planning, having reliable, free map-making software and GIS software in your arsenal is essential.
It’s not just about placing pins on a map; data visualization and mapping tools are about having a bird’s eye view of your tasks, understanding the geographical context, and harnessing this information to optimize your workflows.
In this fast-paced, digitally-driven era, free map-making software can be the key to better project execution. The right map maker and tool will help you work within your project controls, like tight deadlines, thrifty budgets, and ever-shifting project scopes.
So let’s navigate through the top 10 map-making software tools managers and map enthusiasts should consider in 2024. It’s time to find the perfect map maker that suits your needs and sets your team up for success.
What Should You Look for In Map-Making Software?
Let’s delve a bit deeper into what makes the best mapping software truly stand out:
First, look for robust map maker features such as location tagging, distance measurement, and integration with your project management tools. This will help streamline your map-making workflow, helping you save time and work faster.
Next, consider the mapping software itself’s usability. An intuitive interface can simplify your tasks and reduce your learning curve for building maps. Real-time collaboration capabilities are also essential, allowing for seamless teamwork and improved communication.
Don’t forget the importance of customizable views. The ability to filter and focus on relevant data can make managing location-based tasks more efficient.
Lastly, keep in mind pricing and user reviews. Ensuring the best map-making software program fits your budget and has positive reviews can help you make a more informed decision. The goal is to find the best map-making software that suits your needs and enhances your project management process.
The 10 Best Map-Making Software to Use in 2024
The right map-making tools and software can transform your project planning and execution process, making it more efficient and effective.
ClickUp isn’t just a project management tool; it’s a productivity platform that can integrate with map-making software to plan location-based tasks seamlessly. It’s clean interface and advanced features make it ideal for all project management structures within any size organization.
Whether you’re working on a design project or crafting a product development process, ClickUp has got you covered.
With the ClickUp Map view, it’s easy to adjust, refine, and personalize your detailed maps to constantly display the most pertinent information. Add multiple locations in custom fields or use filters to scan through the map to see things like which team members are assigned to specific regions.
ClickUp best features
- Map view allows you to sort or filter locations across an interactive map to see location data for your customers, specific job sites, event locations, and more with Google Maps
- You can include geographic addresses directly into tasks for easier editing
- Seamless integration with popular map-making tools
- Custom views allow visual thinkers to organize tasks through whiteboard project management
- Advanced features for project management and team collaboration
- The user interface might present a steep learning curve for some users
- The mobile app can be less intuitive than the desktop version
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,700+ reviews)
2. Scribble Maps
Scribble Maps is a versatile map-making software focusing on simplicity and ease of use. This platform allows users to quickly draw, add text, and place markers on a digital map, which can be shared or embedded as required.
Scribble Maps offers different map-maker styles like hand-drawn maps, isometric maps, interior maps, map charts, and other ways to create maps. Despite the versatility, Scribble Maps makes the process more intuitive and straightforward than other map-making software.
The online map tool is a web-based software, meaning no installation is required, and you can access it from any device with an internet connection. But you’ll need a contingency plan if you’re on the road without wifi.
Scribble Maps best features
- Customizable, beautiful region maps with options to add text, markers, and shapes
- Sharing and publishing features for easy collaboration across the map-maker software
- Ability to import data and layers
Scribble Maps limitations
- Some map maker features are only available in the paid version
Scribble Maps pricing
- Basic: 14/month per user
- Business: $90/month per user
Scribble Maps ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (30+ reviews)
Primarily designed for game masters, game developers, storytellers, and D&D enthusiasts, the fantasy map-making software Inkarnate is a powerful part of the product development process if your product includes intricate, detailed fantasy world maps.
Create fantasy maps or battle maps from vast worlds and intricate city layouts, to battle maps and interior designs. The platform offers a range of templates and art assets to bring your imaginary world map to life. The interface is easy to navigate, allowing fast and efficient design project management.
Inkarnate best features
- Extensive collection of artistic tools and map assets with map-maker software
- Ideal use to create fantasy maps and world maps with extensive details
- Includes an RPG map editor and dungeon maps templates
- User-friendly interface perfect for beginning fantasy map makers and experts alike
- Limited to fantasy map creation
- Since this is more about fantasy worlds, it understandably lacks business-oriented features compared to other mapping software
- Pro Monthly: $5
- Pro Yearly: $25
Inkarnate ratings and reviews
- G2: Not available
- Capterra: Not available
MapChart is an excellent choice for map makers who need to display data geographically, such as educators, students, or professionals in various fields.
With MapChart, you can represent statistical data on both world maps and region maps easily, offering a geographical perspective that’s unique and informative. This is particularly useful for understanding regional or global trends, and the platform’s interactive nature adds a dynamic layer to presentations or reports.
MapChart best features
- User-friendly interface for creating geographical maps
- Option to create color-coded, custom maps
- Map making available globally
- Map maker has limited features compared to other cartography software
- No option for custom shapes or layers on your own map
Contact MapChart for pricing
MapChart ratings and reviews
- G2: Not Available
- Capterra: Not available
Aimed at fiction writers, game developers, and anyone needing world-building, Wonderdraft is a user-friendly, comprehensive fantasy map-making software. It offers various customizable tools and assets to bring your city map or world map to life, from landscapes to cityscapes and everything in between.
Its intuitive design means you can focus on creativity within your own maps, rather than struggling with complicated software.
Wonderdraft best features
- Detailed hand-drawn elements for unique map creation
- Option to add text and symbols
- Offline working capability
- No subscription necessary
- An active online community means lots of new resources are always coming online
- Mapping tools geared toward fantasy maps, not ideal for business projects
- Steeper learning curve for non-artists
- Lots of additional art packs—for a price
- One-time purchase: $29.99
Wonderdraft ratings and reviews
- G2: Not available
- Capterra: Not available
As a 3D map maker software, FlowScape offers a unique perspective on geographical planning.
Primarily used for creating scenic landscapes, FlowScape allows you to visualize your location-based tasks or projects in a more detailed and realistic manner. Its user-friendly interface and wide selection of nature elements make it an ideal tool for visualization and presentations.
FlowScape best features
- 3D, detailed map creation with a variety of elements and landscapes
- Intuitive map-making controls and editing
- Not intended for traditional 2D map creation (i.e. city maps)
- More suited for game development or storytelling for fantasy maps
- One-time purchase: $14.99
FlowScape ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.0/5 (2 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.0/5.0 (3 reviews)
Infogram is a powerful tool that turns raw data into engaging, interactive maps and infographics.
Ideal for educators, marketers, or bloggers, Infogram makes data easy to understand and visually appealing.
The platform offers a variety of templates and customization options, allowing you to create presentations, social media posts, or blog content that stands out.
Infogram best features
- Integration of data visualization with map creator
- Wide range of templates and designs
- Supports interactive map styles
- Limited customization in the free version
- Some data integration features are only in premium plans
- Basic: Free
- Pro: $19/month
- Business: $67/month
- Team: $149/month
- Enterprise: Contact Infogram for pricing
Infogram ratings and reviews:
- G2: 4.7/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (70+ reviews)
Mapme stands out with its interactive way to create maps. It lets users build sophisticated, detailed maps that tell a story, making it an excellent choice for businesses, educators, or community organizers.
With Mapme, you can create maps that can present geographical data on village maps, city maps, regional maps, or country maps in a way that engages the viewer and offers an immersive experience beyond google maps.
Mapme best features
- Powerful features for creating snazzy maps
- Customizable views and options
- Great for storytelling and presentations
- Some advanced features can be difficult to navigate
- More expensive than other options
- No free version
- Story: $24/month per user
- Pro: $49/month per user
- Pro+: $99/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact Mapme for pricing
Mapme ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.5/5 (9 reviews)
- Capterra: Not available
Visme goes beyond simple map creation by integrating robust data visualization capabilities.
The platform allows you to create informative, data-rich maps that can present complex data in a simple, visually engaging manner.
Whether you’re in marketing, education, or project management, Visme can help you communicate your data effectively.
Visme best features
- Integration with data visualization
- Customizable maps with a variety of elements
- Great for creating data-driven maps
- High-quality maps require a paid plan
- May be complex for beginners
- Basic: Free
- Starter: $12.25/month
- Pro: $24.75/month
- Visme for Teams: Contact Visme for pricing
Visme ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (600+ reviews)
With a focus on business analytics and data presentation, Maptive offers powerful tools for creating data-driven maps. It’s an excellent tool for businesses needing to analyze geographical data, optimize routes, or identify location-based trends.
With Maptive, you can transform raw data into a visual format that can drive decision-making and strategy development.
Maptive best features
- Powerful tool for creating business-oriented maps
- Advanced data analysis features
- Customizable elements and views
- Limited free version
- Steeper learning curve
- Free Trial
- Pro: $110/month
- Team: $220/month
- Enterprise: Contact Maptive for pricing
Maptive ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (5 reviews)
Mapping Your Way to Success With Map Making Software
Choosing the correct map making software programs can significantly affect how effectively you plan and execute location-based tasks. Each map maker tool listed here offers unique features that can assist in achieving your project goals.
However, if you seek a tool that integrates map-making with task management, consider exploring ClickUp’s Map View. It not only aids in visualizing tasks on a map but also seamlessly blends with other project management functionalities, making your planning and execution processes more efficient.
Give ClickUp a try and unlock a new level of productivity for your team. Happy mapping!