Interior design companies have specialized needs that go beyond generic project management. To successfully meet your interior design project’s deadlines and impress your clients, it’s essential to stay organized throughout the process.
This involves tasks such as obtaining client approvals for your home or office design proposal and effectively managing invoices and deliveries from multiple suppliers.
Interior design project manager software can help manage all those moving parts. Here’s what to look for when comparing interior design project management tools, and the 10 best options for interior designers and interior design teams in 2023.
What is Interior Design Project Manager Software?
Interior design project manager software is a project management tool for interior designers. It includes basic project management software functionality, plus tools that specifically help with interior design management.
The software aids in managing multiple design projects, keeping every interior design team at your agency or firm on the same page. The best project interior design project management platforms give you a bird’s eye view of an entire project, while also letting you zoom in on key deliverables to ensure things are getting done on time and in the right order.
The top-rated tools in 2023 also include ready-to-use templates and project views aimed at key milestones and requirements in interior design, including design mood boards, proposal creation, and external vendor work. If you want the best project management software, you’re looking for a one-stop shop for complex interior design projects.
What Should You Look for in Interior Design Project Manager Software?
Choosing the right interior design project management software will improve your design project’s outcome. Beyond managing basic tasks, these tools should integrate with your entire business, benefiting not just the customer-facing design aspects, but also internal team collaboration, tracking, and deadlines:
- A user-friendly interface: Look for a platform your team can easily get up to speed with, letting them focus on their design work instead of struggling to figure out a new software system
- A cloud-based platform: With data in the cloud, you can access your design deliverables, project schedules, and more, even during site visits at a customer’s home or office
- Integration with accounting software: Seamless accounting integrations enable you to track costs without using multiple tools, keeping all your customer and supplier invoices and contracts in one spot
- Support for external users: The ability to invite external users, such as your design client and external vendors, ensures everyone stays in sync
- Flexible pricing: Different pricing plans, including custom pricing and a free plan, offer flexibility for growing interior design firms and agencies
- Project templates: These templates, such as new customer onboarding templates and invoice templates, speed up new-project initiation and ensure consistency across multiple projects
- Design mood boards and proposal creation: These tools help with visualizing and presenting ideas to clients
The 10 Best Interior Design Software to Use in 2023
To help you find the right project management tool for your interior design business, we’ve assembled this list of the best software tools for interior designers to use in 2023.
ClickUp is an all-in-one productivity tool that groups your company’s workflows together in one place. ClickUp project management solutions help teams plan, track, and collaborate on any project. With features such as task templates, Mind Maps, and Dashboards, ClickUp provides a holistic view of your project’s status and integrates with over 200 tools, ensuring interior design teams have the digital resources they need.
The software can benefit individual designers and established design firms, and the ClickUp Interior Design Template will get your teams up and running quickly.
ClickUp best features
- Generate outlines, draft documents, summarize meeting notes, and more with expert-crafted artificial intelligence (AI) tools
- Manage your interior design work on a List, Gantt, Board, and more with any of ClickUp’s 15+ customizable views
- Collaborate and build alignment on your design project with comprehensive collaboration software
- View everything at a glance and track progress easily with customizable Dashboards
- Natively integrate ClickUp with over 1,000 tools, including Slack, Figma, and cloud storage apps
- The interface may be overwhelming due to the extensive feature set
- Some users say the mobile app lacks some of the desktop version’s functionality
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available for purchase on all paid plans at the price of $5 per Workspace member and internal guest per month
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
Monday.com is versatile project management software with features suitable for interior designers. Whether handling simple or complex projects, monday.com allows you to plan, execute, and track them efficiently.
Interior designers can easily assign tasks, set project timelines, and monitor their team’s progress, and the platform emphasizes collaboration, ensuring interior design team members work well together. Communication aids, such as email reminders and project approval requests, save your team valuable time.
Monday.com best features
- Track your team’s progress, set project timelines, and manage your team’s work in one place
- Collaborate seamlessly across teams and departments to gain visibility into your design projects’ progress
- Use customizable and flexible options for any design project, process, department, or customer
- Automate routine tasks with unlimited automation recipes, including email reminders and project approval requests
- View ongoing tasks and projects clearly, ensuring efficient project management
- The pricing can be expensive for small teams and individual users
- Some users find it takes time to become accustomed to all the features
- While the software is customizable, tailoring it to interior design needs requires additional setup
- Free Forever
- Basic: $8/month for 4 seats
- Standard: $10/month for 3 seats
- Pro: $16/month for 3 seats
- Enterprise: Contact sales for pricing
Monday.com ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (4,000+ reviews)
Ivy is the first specialized business management software for designers on our list. The software is focused on interior design firms’ needs and offers a suite of project management solutions to streamline administrative tasks, allowing professional interior designers to effortlessly manage projects, documents, payments, and client interactions. Ivy makes product sourcing, branded proposals and invoices, and room board creation easier.
Ivy best features
- Source products from your favorite vendors and create a custom product catalog using the Ivy Product Clipper
- Create professionally branded proposals and invoices for your interior design projects
- Use room boards to bring your interior design ideas to life by creating them, sharing your vision, and building relationships with your clients
- Source, invoice, purchase, and track all in one place, streamlining the project management process for interior designers
- Take advantage of extensive customization features to fit interior design businesses’ unique needs
- Users complain of limited integration with other tools
- Some users find the software is more expensive than other alternatives available
- The user interface isn’t intuitive enough for some users
- Starter: $65/month
- Essential: $99/month
- Pro: $149/month
Ivy ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 3.7/5 (20 reviews)
4. Binary Management
Binary Management (BM) is another project management tool for the interior design industry, and it consolidates four core components of interior design project management: planning, costing, tracking, and reporting. BM aids interior designers in sourcing products, creating professional proposals, and tracking project deliverables and provides a complete solution for interior design business management.
Binary Management best features
- Generate a project design fee with ease and accuracy with the featureful costing feature
- Produce a detailed project program and payment schedule, ensuring efficient interior design project management, with the planning tool
- Monitor project deliverables’ progress and take advantage of per-deliverable time tracking with the tracking tool
- Enjoy a clear view of the project, its progress, and team members’ performance with extensive reporting features
- Ensure efficient project management with features suitable for interior design businesses’ unique needs
Binary Management limitations
- The software doesn’t have a dedicated mobile app
- The learning curve can be steep for users just starting out
Binary Management pricing
- Professional: $10/month per user
- Business: $20/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact sales for pricing
Binary Management ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 5/5 (2 reviews)
This robust interior design project management software for mid-to-large-sized interior design teams focuses on centralizing communications, client approvals, tracking, and documentation. With Gather, interior designers can clip inspiration from web sources, discuss ideas with others, and plan room designs. Many professional design teams use Gather to manage projects more effectively.
Gather best features
- Centralize communications, specifications, client approvals, tracking, and documentation
- Manage costs and budgets across interior design projects, rooms, and selections
- Share and discuss with your team and clients by leaving real-time comments on ideas, furnishings, materials, and projects
- Mark objects as proposed, ordered, shipped, installed, and more for easy tracking across the project’s life
- Instantly generate and save documents and reports to share with clients, teams, and contractors
- Some users find it takes time to understand and use all features
- The software is expensive for some customers
- Free Forever
- Subscription: Starting at $70/month for 10 users
Gather ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (47 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.9/5 (27 reviews)
Many successful design firms use Indema to address challenges such as scattered resources and miscommunication. The unified platform provides tools to keep interior designers organized, productive, and in sync, including task management, email automation, product sourcing, and state-of-the-art vision boards. With cloud accessibility, interior design firms can manage their businesses from anywhere.
Indema best features
- Make your design firm more productive, organized, and in sync with a unified platform
- Enjoy a full view of your business, including tasks, current design projects, finance overviews, and invoices, using the dashboard
- Create estimates that auto-convert to invoices and purchase orders for faster workflows
- Import any product from the web into Indema for a more streamlined experience using the software’s browser-based clipper
- Take advantage of effective lead generation and client onboarding with automated email workflows
- Integration capabilities with other popular tools are limited
- Some users have mentioned they’d like better mobile access
- Customization options for specific project needs are limited
- Solo: $19/month
- Pro: $39/month
- VIP: $49/month
Indema ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (5 reviews)
7. Mydoma Studio
This interior design project manager software aims to simplify business for interior designers through tools that help users organize projects and manage tasks. Creating mood boards and automating accounting processes helps streamline the design process. Mydoma Visualizer allows designers to quickly render designs and impress clients with 3D visualizations, and the mobile app is convenient for the interior designer on the go.
Mydoma Studio best features
- Manage design projects efficiently with a full suite of time-saving tools for interior designers
- Render interior design projects in minutes and showcase designs in 3D
- Centralize all project data, allowing clients and designers to access all their project details
- Enable interior designers to manage their businesses on iOS and Android devices through the mobile app
- Break projects down into tasks through the intuitive task management tool, streamlining the design project management process
Mydoma Studio limitations
- Some users find the interface outdated
- The pricing structure might not be suitable for all businesses
- The feature set isn’t as robust as some customers would like
Mydoma Studio pricing
- Starter: $49/month
- Professional: $69/month
- Professional Team: $99/month
- Enterprise: Contact sales for pricing
- Each plan can include extra users for an additional $20 each
Mydoma Studio ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (79 reviews)
8. Studio Designer
Studio Designer is another digital platform specifically for the interior design industry. The software’s complete feature set enables interior designers to manage projects from start to finish. Project management tools allow designers to propose, order, and invoice all project items, and Studio Capture provides digital sourcing from various vendors. The platform offers time billing and specialized accounting tools for interior designers.
Studio Designer best features
- Propose, order, and invoice all project items; track team activities; and manage interior design projects from start to finish
- Digitally source items from various vendors, streamlining the design project management process
- Efficiently track and bill clients for the time you spend on design projects
- Use the client portal to collaborate and accept payments from interior design clients
- Manage finances with integrated accounting tools specifically for interior designers
- Generate unlimited reports on financials and projects, offering insights into the interior design project management process
Studio Designer limitations
- The learning curve can be complex for new users
- Some users find the platform too expensive
- Some customers complained about the interface being clunky or outdated
Studio Designer pricing
- Basic: $54/month
- Professional: $72/month
Studio Designer ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 3/5 (2 reviews)
9. Design Manager
Design Manager is sophisticated interior design software for individual interior designers and large interior design firms.
The software offers a comprehensive suite of tools for project management, purchasing, accounting, and more. The client portal enables users to send proposals and invoices digitally. Advanced features help large firms keep projects moving forward, including modules for inventory management, data collection, and showrooms.
Design Manager best features
- Organize design projects with industry-leading specification tools and maintain accurate time billing
- Facilitate the collection of deposits, retainers, and payments from clients, integrating them seamlessly into firm-level accounting
- Issue purchase orders, track their status, and manage complex multi-step work orders for custom jobs
- Generate custom reports to gain insights into design projects and firm metrics
- Send proposals and invoices digitally to clients and collect payments instantly, ensuring smooth project management
- Enjoy advanced features, including modules for inventory management, data collection, point of sale, and showrooms
Design Manager limitations
- Some users find the interface outdated
- Setting up and understanding the software can be challenging
- Some users find the software more expensive than similar options
Design Manager pricing
- Subscription: $65/month per user
Design Manager ratings and reviews
- G2: 2.8/5 (5 reviews)
Plaky is task management software for simple visual project planning. The platform allows users to manage projects, collaborate with team members, and receive status reports with a single click. With unlimited projects, Plaky is also an excellent project management tool for large firms.
Plaky best features
- Keep track of to-dos, assign teammates, and add custom information to tasks with project management features
- Invite teammates to collaborate, discuss work within tasks, and receive notifications for updates and mentions
- View all tasks’ statuses at a glance and filter tasks by various criteria through multiple visualization options
- Ensure continuous project management functionality anywhere with the Plaky mobile app
- Some users find the collaboration features too basic
- Limited integration options and automation features held back some customers
- The mobile app lacks some of the desktop version’s features
- Free Forever
- Pro: $3.99/month per user
- Enterprise: $8.99/month per user
Plaky ratings and reviews
- Capterra: 5/5 (1 reviews)
Manage All Your Projects in ClickUp
The best interior design project manager software will empower you to juggle all of your design project’s moving parts with ease. Whether you do residential or commercial design, these platforms eliminate the stress of staying on top of dozens of milestones and deliverables and can make everything from mood boards to getting client approvals a breeze.
If you’re looking for interior design project management that plugs into your entire business operations, try ClickUp today. Its comprehensive features list will streamline all aspects of your business, including internal communications and collaboration, optimizing your entire organization’s workflows and processes in one easy-to-use platform.