Imagine your team as a five-star kitchen. You’ve got the freshest ingredients (talent) and a tantalizing menu (tasks) to dish out. But without the right cookware (internal communication tools), even the simplest pasta (project) could turn into a kitchen nightmare.
Now imagine you’re not just in any kitchen but scattered across different time zones, juggling spatulas, and trying to coordinate the perfect al dente.
Chaos? Definitely. Unmanageable? Not quite.
Enter team communication apps. Just as the finest pots and pans shape up a gastronomic delight, the right team communication tools shape your remote kitchen staff into a harmonious, coordinated team. No missteps, no delays, just pure, delectable productivity.
So, let’s turn up the heat and dive into the world of team communication apps and tools. Because remote doesn’t have to mean distant, and global doesn’t have to spell out disarray. It’s time to whip your team into Michelin-star shape, and we’re here to serve you the secrets.
- What Should You Look for in Team Communication Apps?
- The 10 Best Team Communication Apps to Use in 2023
- Team Communication App FAQs
What Should You Look for in Team Communication Apps?
Choosing the right team communication app or tool is a crucial decision that can significantly impact your team’s collaboration, productivity, and overall satisfaction. Here are key features you should look for:
- Ease of Use: Your team communication apps should have an intuitive interface that all members of your team can navigate effortlessly, no matter how tech-savvy they are (or aren’t!)
- Real-time Messaging: Instant team chat functionality is essential for facilitating real-time team communication, quick discussions, and prompt resolution of doubts or issues
- Collaborative Features: Look for team communication apps that encourage team collaboration in the workplace, such as shared calendars, video conferencing, team chat apps for direct messaging, screen sharing, task assignments, file sharing, and co-editing capabilities
- Video and Voice Call Capabilities: High-quality video and voice calling allow for more personal, face-to-face conversations, helping to bridge the distance and promoting effective team communication
- Task Management: Built-in task management features make it easier to delegate tasks, monitor progress, and ensure everyone knows their responsibilities
- File Sharing and Storage: A good communication tool should allow for easy file sharing and ample storage space
- Notifications and Alerts: Customizable notifications help team members stay on top of important updates without getting overwhelmed by constant alerts
- Customizability and Scalability: The tool should adapt to your team’s changing needs as it grows or evolves, with options for unlimited users, customizing workspaces, workflows, video meetings, and user roles
The 10 Best Team Communication Apps to Use in 2023
With so many team communication tools on the market, each boasting unique features and capabilities, choosing the right platform for your team can be a daunting task. To help you make an informed decision, we have curated a list of the 10 best team communication tools out there.
These apps are designed to streamline communication goals, boost productivity and employee engagement, and foster a more efficient work environment, whether your team is sharing the same office or distributed across different continents.
Dive in and discover the tools that will revolutionize how your team communicates and collaborates in the digital age.
ClickUp goes beyond a team communication tool—it’s an all-in-one project management and productivity platform to streamline workflows and conversations between team members. Let’s put it this way: If your team communication was a busy kitchen, ClickUp would be your ultra-efficient, multi-functional food processor.
With hundreds of communication features and a customizable platform, ClickUp can handle any dish you throw at it—be it project management, task tracking, or team communication through assigned comments.
ClickUp’s core advantage lies in its versatility and its aim to centralize your work environment with screen-sharing recordings in Clip, commenting and annotations on docs or files, and collaborative editing features across ClickUp Whiteboards and ClickUp Docs.
Having the ability to plan, manage, and track projects and communications all within the same platform, is like having a device that can chop, blend, mix, and even cook, all in one. ClickUp Chat view is great for teams to stay in one platform for everything.
ClickUp best features
- ClickUp’s fully customizable platform is designed to be flexible and adaptable, making it suitable for in-house or remote teams of all sizes across various industries. ClickUp can be tailored to fit your team and business needs
- ClickUp offers both asynchronous and real-time collaboration, which is especially beneficial for remote teams. Digital whiteboards can be used for brainstorming sessions, while ClickUp Docs can be used to store ideas, and SOPs, create communication plans via customizable templates, and much more
- With Chat view and email features, you can send instant messages and manage all your email communications without switching platforms
- An in-app screen recorder that lets you create and send video messages
- Automatic notifications when updates are made on a task means no more manual follow-ups and the ability to assign action items within tasks ensures accountability
- ClickUp has a vast array of features, which can be overwhelming for new users. It may take some time to understand and utilize all of the functionalities effectively
- While ClickUp offers numerous communication tools, it lacks a built-in video conferencing tool for online meetings. However, it does integrate with video conferencing tools like Zoom
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing 👉If you need a full software suite to handle your Enterprise workloads and processes, we’d love to help set you up for success! Please contact Sales when you’re ready.
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (6,670+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,640+ reviews)
Zoom is a heavyweight contender in the realm of team communication software, providing high-quality video conferencing that brings remote and cross-functional teams face-to-face, regardless of their geographical locations. Think of it as the round table in your video conference room where everyone can gather for meetings or presentations.
At its core, Zoom is a video and audio conferencing tool, but it packs some great advantages, including screen sharing, recording of voice and video calls, transcription services, breakout rooms, and a built-in chat feature. All in all, Zoom ensures your calls are as smooth as butter.
Zoom best features
- Top-notch video and audio quality that makes virtual meetings feel more personal
- A variety of features, such as screen sharing, recording and transcriptions, breakout rooms, and a built-in chat feature
- A stable and sufficient bandwidth connection is necessary to ensure smooth meetings
- The free version has certain limitations regarding the duration of the meetings and the number of allowed participants
- Requires users to download the app to host or attend a meeting, which can slow team collaboration
- Basic: $0
- Pro: $149.90/year per user
- Business: $199.90/year per user
- Business plus: Contact for pricing
- Business enterprise: Contact for pricing
Zoom ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (53,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (13,500+ reviews)
Try out these Zoom alternatives!
Chanty is like that savvy, multi-talented sous chef who can whip up any dish you fancy. With an easy setup, intuitive UI, and unlimited message search, this team communication tool is a delight to use.
Chanty offers the trifecta of communication methods – team chat apps, voice messages, and calls (both audio calls and video calls). And for those who love a neat workspace, the Kanban board view is a plus.
Chanty best features
- User-friendly interface with simple setup for improved team collaboration
- Offers chat, voice communication, and audio/video calls
- The Kanban board view optimizes workflow management
- Some reviews mentioned connectivity issues
- Free forever
- Business: $3/month per user billed annually
Chanty ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (30+ reviews)
4. Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is like the trusty oven in your virtual kitchen. This team communication tool is hot, it’s consistent, and it integrates seamlessly with other Microsoft Office 365 programs.
With features like Breakout Rooms, Together Mode, Presenter Mode, and instant translation, Microsoft Teams can take your remote team’s communication strategy to the next level. However, as is the case with any high-tech oven, there’s a bit of a learning curve to make the most of its capabilities.
Microsoft Teams best features
- Deep integration with Microsoft Office 365 for streamlined workflows
- Unique features like Together Mode and Presenter Mode enhance virtual meetings for screen sharing
- Offers instant translation into more than 100 languages
Microsoft Teams limitations
- Lacks integrated project and task management features
- Steep learning curve, especially for first-time users looking for a simple team communication app
- Reviewers have mentioned running into occasional glitches and technical issues
Microsoft Teams pricing
- Microsoft Teams Essentials: $4/month per user
- Microsoft 365 Business Basic: $6/month per user
- Microsoft 365 Business Standard: $12.50/month per user
Microsoft Teams ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (13,700+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (4,200 + reviews)
Try out these Microsoft Teams alternatives!
One of the most popular team communication tools, Slack is like the well-organized spice rack of your team communication, great for large and small teams alike. Its channels feature allows you to segregate your communication, much like how you’d arrange your spices based on their uses.
Slack’s vast integrations, instant messaging team chat apps and file sharing capabilities, the huddle feature, and enterprise-grade data protection all add to its appeal as a top-tier team communication software.
Slack best features
- Ability to create dedicated spaces for different discussions through channels
- Stay connected with both direct messages and group messages in its team chat app
- Offers video calls and conferencing as well as voice chat through the huddle feature
- Slack integrates with various productivity team collaboration tools
- Requires separate email and password for every Slack channel you join
- Lacks project management features compared to other team collaboration apps
- Users have noted that management of multiple channels can become challenging as they grow in number
- Pro: $7.25/month per user billed annually
- Business+: $12.50/month per user billed annually
- Enterprise Grid: Contact for pricing
Slack ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (31,300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (22,700+ reviews)
6. Google Workspace
Google Workspace, much like the efficient refrigerator in your virtual office kitchen, keeps all your tools fresh and readily accessible.
With Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Meet, your various team members can collaborate in real-time. Plus, the calendar feature is a hit among users for managing projects and time.
Google Workspace best features
- Seamless integration between various Google Workspace tools
- Real-time collaboration on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Excellent calendar and inbox management features to enhance email productivity
Google Workspace limitations
- Limited offline capabilities
- Can feel overwhelming due to its vast array of features
- Subscription rates can be expensive, and the interface may be confusing for beginners
Google Workspace pricing
- Business Starter: $5.40/month per user billed annually
- Business Standard: $10.80/month per user billed annually
- Business Plus: $18/month per user billed annually
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Google Workspace ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (40,400+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (14,600+ reviews)
Geekbot is a team communication app that cuts through the noise and delivers precise and concise updates.
With its simple setup and use, as well as advanced features such as the workflow builder and AI-driven insights, it’s a tool that streamlines async communication like a pro.
Geekbot best features
- Team communication app is easy to set up, simple and intuitive interface
- Customizable workflows and AI-powered insights help you keep track of what your team is doing at any given time
- Useful for organizing daily operations
- Best used for updates, not ideal for task management or project management
- Lacks weekly or monthly views for larger projects
- Start-up: $0 for up to ten users
- Scale-up: $2.50/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Geekbot ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (100+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.9/5 (130+ reviews)
Discord is personal or team communication app that’s growing in popularity. It allows you to have invite-only servers and topic-based channels for focused discussions. Plus, its voice channels let you hop onto a voice call without needing to dial in.
Discord best features
- Invite-only servers enhance privacy
- Topic-based channels facilitate focused group chats and discussions
- Voice channels simplify joining voice calls
- High conversation volume can make reflecting on message history difficult
- No project management features
- Primarily a social platform, not built for enterprise team communication needs
- Free: $0
- Nitro: $9.85/month per user
- Nitro Classic: $4.92/month per user
- Server Boost: $4.99/month per user
- Nitro Basic: $2.95/month per user
Discord ratings and reviews
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (320+ reviews)
Try out these Discord alternatives!
Flock is a team communication app that provides messaging, calls, video calls and conferencing options, and file sharing into one, so your team can stay on the same page.
Its API integration to trigger alerts and the ability to comment and doodle directly on photos are unique features that users love.
Flock best features
- Offers 1:1 and team channel conversations
- Has built-in voice and video calls systems
- Provides a built-in search feature to quickly find important information
- The free version has limited features and file storage capacity is capped at 5GB
- Reviewers have noted that video calls can be slow and prone to delays
- Some users found that messages can occasionally arrive with a significant delay
- Starter: Free up to 20 users
- Pro: $4.5/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Flock ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (230+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (310+ reviews)
ProofHub’s team collaboration tool is like your trustworthy kitchen timer, keeping track of all your projects and tasks, ensuring nothing is over or underdone.
From Kanban boards and Gantt Charts to company-wide notifications that track progress and time, ProofHub’s team communication tool is a one-stop-shop for project management.
Proofhub best features
- Kanban boards and Gantt Charts
- Team communication app provides a central notification center for company-wide announcements
- Many integrated tools and features for higher productivity and time-saving
- Some users found the number of notifications to be overwhelming
- Limited integration capabilities compared to some other team communication tools
- Essential: $45/month per user billed annually
- Ultimate Control: $89/month per user billed annually
Proofhub ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (80 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (80+ reviews)
Team Communication App FAQs
What are the benefits of using a team communication app?
Using a team communication app offers several benefits. Firstly, it improves collaboration by providing a centralized platform for communication, reducing the need for long email chains or scattered conversations. It also enhances productivity by enabling quick and efficient information sharing, making it easier to access important documents and files. Additionally, these apps often integrate with other productivity tools, such as task management or document collaboration apps, further streamlining workflows.
How can team communication apps improve remote collaboration?
Team communication apps are essential for remote collaboration as they provide a centralized platform for team members to communicate, share files, and collaborate in real-time. These apps offer features like instant messaging, video conferencing, and document sharing, enabling remote teams to stay connected and work together seamlessly despite geographical distances.
ClickUp—The Best Team Communication Tool for Collaboration
If there’s one thing this culinary journey through the world of remote communication has taught us, it’s that having the right ingredients doesn’t necessarily make a master chef. You need that trusty, versatile tool that brings everything together.
ClickUp is your do-it-all tool to simplify, streamline, and supercharge your team communication. It’s not just another pot in the kitchen; it’s the magical culinary tool that unifies your global chefs, perfects the timing of each process, and serves the perfect dish, every single time. Whether your team is spread across different time zones or working in the same room, ClickUp makes your global kitchen a place of collaboration, productivity, and success. It’s time to hang up the ‘closed for renovation’ sign, say goodbye to the chaos, and invite your team to a new era of effortless coordination. Try ClickUp, where we’re cooking up exceptional team communication.