Video is key in any business communication strategy. You might want to share and record your screen to show work processes, create helpful tutorials and resources for customers, or strengthen your organization’s knowledge base.
Or, perhaps videos are part of your core product and great video recording software is necessary for your business, YouTube channel, or live streaming hobby.
Open Broadcast Software (OBS) is a popular choice for live streaming and recording games, but it has many complex features and a steep learning curve, making it impractical for many users. There are dozens of OBS alternatives that offer more beginner-friendly interfaces, faster adoption times, and a softer entry into live streaming.
In this guide, we look at the ten best OBS alternatives in 2023 so you can compare their features and find the right one for you.
What are OBS Alternatives?
OBS alternatives are gameplay recording and live streaming software options that have many of the same features and capabilities as OBS. These alternative programs can provide workflows, support, and functions that better fit your needs.
Live streaming and recording software can record your screen output, and you can film yourself to create footage of your reactions in real time. The program should also offer editing and finishing tools to create a polished final video for publishing or sharing.
High-quality OBS alternatives will provide the same core recording and editing functions while improving the user experience, preserving video quality, and offering a more beginner-friendly platform. The best OBS alternative for you is the one that fits your workflow, budget, and experience.
What Should You Look for in OBS Alternatives?
Different software options can provide myriad features, tools, bandwidth, and pricing. Before you start looking at OBS alternatives, decide what matters most. Look for these requirements as you search for the right OBS replacement:
- Dual screen recording capabilities: The software should let you easily record your screen, yourself, or both. Ideally, the software will accommodate multiple platforms simultaneously
- Whiteboard and editing tools: Basic editing features are a must. OBS alternatives should have cutting and editing tools for video and audio as a minimum and include highlighting and whiteboard software features
- No watermarks or obstructive time limits: Some freemium software will add watermarks when you export the footage, and others will limit the length of each video. Look for screen recorders with no watermarks or disruptive overlays
- Ease of use: OBS is feature-rich but too complex for many users. Good OBS alternatives will have an intuitive interface that new users can easily understand, including live streaming options that can simplify exporting content for upload on popular platforms
- High-quality video and audio feeds: Crystal-clear files are essential for your brand and channel. Choose software that doesn’t cut corners and has multi-track audio recording
The 10 Best Alternatives to OBS Studio in 2023
Knowing the most popular options on the market can help you select the best OBS alternatives in 2023. Our list of live streaming and screen recording software details the pros and cons, pricing, and reviews of the top ten OBS alternatives available.
1. ClickUp: Best for screen recording
Successful video channels require more than just great footage. ClickUp’s all-in-one project management video production software helps create, edit, and publish your videos.
With ClickUp Clips, you can record your screen, add audio from your microphone, and share video clips with a link. Then, easily create messages, brainstorm ideas, and instantly communicate with your cross-functional teams.
For convenience, use ClickUp’s screen recorder Chrome extension for messages and production footage, start brainstorming and ideating more effectively with our in-platform storyboard templates, and use the project management views to assign tasks across every production project. You can even create and revise internal workflows with SOP templates that help everyone complete their production tasks faster.
Ready to experiment with artificial intelligence (AI) content creation tools? Start exploring your options and guide your AI using ClickUp to generate prompts, branding guidelines, and everything in between to record video tutorials.
ClickUp best features
- Professional-grade video and audio quality
- No time limits or watermarks on your screen recordings
- Easy content sharing through secure links
- Integration with complete project management software for faster, more cohesive production schedules
- Lightweight screen recorder that doesn’t cause computer screen lag
- Free Forever plans have only 100 MB of storage
- The multitude of features may be a learning curve for users new to video production
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI: Available for purchase on all paid plans at the price of $5 per Workspace member and internal guest per month
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
2. Camtasia: Best for creating training videos
Video communicates lots of information more clearly than text alone. Camtasia can make screen recordings and video-recorded notes part of your internal communications and training strategies.
This all-in-one software is great for beginners, with features for easy recording, editing, and effects. You can use this alternative to OBS Studio to record raw footage, edit it, and instantly upload it to YouTube, intranets, and other platforms.
Camtasia best features
- Comprehensive features for cutting, trimming, moving, and re-recording footage
- Library of royalty-free assets for effects
- Easy uploading process to Vimeo, YouTube, and more
- Straightforward streaming software, making it great for beginners
- Upgrades can be sudden and disruptive
- Video processing is slow
- Individual Subscription: $179.88/year
- Perpetual License: $299.99 (one-time)
Camtasia ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (1,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (300+ reviews)
3. Streann Studio: Best for creating and sharing live videos online
Streann Studio is a comprehensive browser-based software for creating live videos and streams on popular platforms. The easy-to-use dashboard makes recording simple and even includes live editing and design tools for customizing your live streams on the fly.
Streann Studio also offers prerecorded video recording, editing, and publishing options. It’s an excellent choice for influencers and gameplay live streamers who must reliably create visually appealing videos.
Streann Studio best features
- Direct streaming options for YouTube, Facebook, and Twitch
- Screen-sharing capabilities
- Easy to record audio and video
- High-quality video with live effects tools
Streann Studio limitations
- Inserts a watermark on the free plan
- Limits the number of guests, even on premium plans
- Restricts streaming on the free plan
Streann Studio pricing
- Basic: Free
- Silver: $19/month or $150/year
- Gold: $29/month or $230/year
- Platinum: $99/month or $950/year
- Prosumer (5 licenses): $395/month or $3,950/year
Streann Studio ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.8/5 (2 reviews)
- Capterra: No reviews
4. XSplit: Best for high-quality live streams
XSplit Broadcaster is a powerhouse in the live streaming and gameplay space. It offers comprehensive screen capture, including recording features for Zoom and Discord calls. It can stream videos to major platforms with native plugins and record multiple video and audio outputs simultaneously.
XSplit also provides features and effects for holding virtual sandwiches, including the ability to customize thank you and away screens to showcase patrons and donors.
XSplit best features
- Effects for dynamic virtual events and live streams
- Customization options for streaming platforms, outputs, and editing
- Animations, effects, and editing tools in a powerful interface
- Has a high level of complexity comparable to OBS
- Uses a lot of processing power while streaming
- VCam Premium: $30/year
- Broadcaster Premium: $60/year
- Premium Bundle: $70/year
XSplit ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.9/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (50+ reviews)
5. Wave.video: Best for creating and sharing engaging videos online
Wave.video offers plenty of beginner-friendly features for live streaming and creating engaging videos. The interface is easy to explore and use, and it includes tools for effects, custom layouts, and editing, with keyboard shortcuts for advanced users. Wave.video’s live streaming features are all web-based, so no download is necessary, and it can accommodate multistreaming across multiple channels.
Wave.video best features
- Simple editing and effects tools
- Easy guest-hosting capabilities
- Web-based hosting and editing
- Sound effects, images, and video clips library
- Significant limitations on the free plans
- Occasional video or audio lag
- Sometimes slow to operate
- Streamer: $16/month
- Creator: $24/month
- Business: $48/month
Wave.video ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (80 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6 (370+ reviews)
6. Wirecast: Best for customizable and interactive high-quality live streams
Wirecast is a professional-level live streaming and video editing platform. It offers comprehensive audio recording and editing capabilities, including multi-track recording and in-platform mixing. You can connect unlimited sources (including webcam recording), mix up to eight audio tracks into the video, and use industry-standard editing controls and features. This software can create highly engaging and interactive live streams.
Wirecast best features
- Handles complex audio streams and requirements
- Makes live streaming across major platforms easy
- Offers peer-to-peer conferencing for events and podcasts
- The various features make the platform complex
- The standard plan only allows two guests
- Pricing may be high for beginners
- Wirecast Studio: $35/month
- Wirecast Pro: $46/month
Wirecast ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (36 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (14 reviews)
7. Bandicam: Best for creating professional-looking videos
The next OBS alternative is Bandicam, a beginner-friendly screen recording tool that’s easy to use from start to finish. You can capture screenshots, record your screen, and add video and audio from your webcam or microphone.
It’s a simple, stripped-down tool that offers everything you need to capture, highlight, and annotate your recordings. Create professional-looking YouTube or internal training videos for easy communication.
Bandicam best features
- Incredibly simple features and tools
- Extended recording options for webinars and long events
- Real-time drawing and typing tools for tutorials and how-tos
- Bandicam is only available for Microsoft Windows users
- There are no advanced editing features
- One license: $39.95 (one-time)
- Two licenses: $59.96 (one-time)
Bandicam ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (32 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
8. Lightstream: Best for creating more impactful live streams for businesses, podcasters, talk show hosts, and console gamers
Lightstream is a broadcasting platform for audio and video live streaming. It operates in the cloud, so you can easily live stream events from any location. You can broadcast on YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook through the platform, and it offers third-party integrations for advanced editing and interaction tools.
The video and audio recordings are high quality, even through the mobile version. Experienced operators can easily invite guests, customize the video, and stream straight to followers.
Lightstream best features
- Unlimited streaming hours
- Easy-to-use interface
- Convenient operation entirely in the cloud
- Native live streaming push to YouTube and other major platforms
- The pricing tier determines the frames per second (fps)
- The program limits the number of guests per production
- Gamer: $8–$16/month
- Creator: $25–$50/month
Lightstream ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (20+ reviews)
- Capterra: 5/5 (4 reviews)
9. ScreenPal: Best for recording tutorials, demonstrations, and webcams
When you want a simple screen capture tool for recording and communicating ideas, ScreenPal offers a pared-down, intuitive interface. It’s available for Windows devices, Macs, and Chromebooks, and you don’t need an account to start using it.
You might know ScreenPal by its prior name, Screencast-O-Matic. If so, the current version still offers the same features, easy editing, and free options. It has all the tools you need to record basic tutorials and demonstrations for YouTube or internal business communications.
ScreenPal best features
- Includes multiple tools and products, such as screen recording, video editing, screenshots, and story-building
- Offers AI-powered speech-to-text and OCR image-to-text
- Provides a library of royalty-free images, music, and video clips
- Occasional loading issues that require reinstallation
- Unpredictable crashes during complex projects
- Deluxe: $3/month (annual)
- Premier: $6/month (annual)
- Max: $10/month (annual)
ScreenPal ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (80 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (57 reviews)
10. Flutin: Best for multistreaming live videos
Flutin is a web-based live-streaming platform that offers over 30 streaming destinations, including Instagram. Gamers can host multistream gameplay, and content creators can host multiple guests or record live events. You can personalize branding, add backgrounds, and customize the video easily. Multistreaming live videos is simple with this video editing studio.
Flutin best features
- Multistreaming capabilities across multiple popular platforms
- High-quality video and audio output
- Multiple types of productions, including talk shows, podcasts, webinars, and live streams
- Monetization options, including tips, paid requests, and ticket sales
- Occasional glitches and screen freezes
- Limited payment gateway options for in-platform monetization
- Limited streaming hours, channels, and on-screen guests based on plan tier
- Free Plan
- Basic: $12.50/month (annual plan)
- Advance: $32.50/month (annual plan)
- Agency: $65.80/month (annual plan)
Flutin ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (45 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (42 reviews)
Power Your Live Streaming and Video Recording With Modern Software Solutions
Make video production and screen recording a seamless part of your workflow with robust OBS alternatives. Your content improves, and internal communication gets easier when high-quality, watermark-free video recording is just a click away.
You can use video to grow your brand and your audience with convenient, collaborative tools and processes. If you’re looking for live streaming and video recording functions built right into your project management hub, consider ClickUp. Sign up for a free account and start creating today.