While Microsoft Office owns an impressive slice of the global word processor market. LibreOffice emerged in 2010 as a free open-source software alternative to MS Office.
But as helpful as this free office suite can be, it isn’t for everybody. LibreOffice is admittedly a little clunky, so your team might need something more agile and robust.
If LibreOffice isn’t up your alley, you still need to pick a solid word processor for content creation. Whether you’re in marketing, sales, development, HR, or other field, document creation and management is a must. ✍️
To help you find the right software, we’ve created this handy guide on what to look for in alternatives to LibreOffice along with a list of the 10 best LibreOffice alternatives of 2023.
What Should You Look For in Alternatives to LibreOffice?
Sure, LibreOffice is a free open-source office suite, but if you’re looking for a replacement, you might as well find a solution that ticks all of the boxes for your business needs. ✅
Your LibreOffice alternative should come with these functionalities:
- Compatibility: You’ve got a lot of MS Office files right now, right? Get a LibreOffice alternative that accommodates all file formats and integrates with the tools you already use
- Document management: Content creation alone won’t cut it. Office documents add up fast, so you need a tool that also helps you organize and manage documents
- Collaboration tools: Do you need to submit an RFP ASAP? Don’t email files back and forth with your team—get a word processor that allows for real-time collaboration. Bonus points if you choose a solution with cloud storage so everyone on your team can access docs from any device, at any time
- Simplicity: Bells and whistles can be helpful, but not when they create barriers. Skip the learning curve and go with an alternative to LibreOffice that has an intuitive user interface
- Project management tools: Why separate your docs from your actual workflow? Look for a tool that combines document creation with project management. It’s the best way to find efficiencies and do better work, faster
The 10 Best LibreOffice Alternatives to Use in 2023
LibreOffice includes Writer for office documents and word processing, Calc for spreadsheets, Impress for presentations, Draw for graphics, Base for databases, and Math for formulas. That’s a lot of features for a free tool.
Still, there are good alternatives to LibreOffice that offer more value.
If it’s high time to overhaul your document creation processes, check out these top 10 alternatives to LibreOffice.
Have you ever created a doc and thought, “Gee, I wish I could combine this with my PM software”?
Great news—ClickUp does all of that and more! 🤩
ClickUp Docs connects your workflows, projects, and chats to create a truly all-in-one work platform. Spend less time switching between tools and focus on what matters: the meat of your work.
Create customized Docs with nested pages, bookmarks, and perfectly formatted tables in ClickUp. You have full creative control to build Docs that perfectly fit your brand guidelines. All ClickUp Docs work in the cloud, too, so your team is free to collaborate, edit, and comment on Docs together in real-time.
Of course, there’s a limit to how much your team can do solo. For an extra jolt of productivity, fire up your team with ClickUp AI. This is the only AI-powered assistant specialized to certain job roles. Whether you’re a PM, sales rep, engineer, or marketing director, ClickUp AI has custom features designed for your most common to-dos.
Use ClickUp AI to fill in the details for all of your Docs, including:
- Creating status reports
- Generating meeting agendas
- Outlining project briefs
- Creating test plans
- Writing email newsletters
ClickUp best features
- Summarize reports, generate content ideas, and format text at lightning speed with the ClickUp AI writing tool
- Try the ClickUp Document Management Work Breakdown Structure Template to quickly create a framework for document management
- Categorize Docs and company wikis for easy company-wide reference
- Feel free to send Docs to clients or external teams. ClickUp gives you 100% customizable privacy and edit controls so you’re in charge of who sees what
- Turn on Focus Mode to eliminate distractions and focus on your work
- ClickUp AI is only available on paid plans
- ClickUp has a lot of features, so it can take newbies some time to learn the platform
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Business Plus: $19/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace member per month
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,700+ reviews)
Over 300 million users rely on OfficeSuite as a LibreOffice alternative. It’s fully compatible with Microsoft Office files like PowerPoint, Excel, and Word, as well as Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides.
Best of all, OfficeSuite works in the cloud and syncs all of your files across Google Drive, OneDrive, MobiDrive, and plenty of other cloud storage solutions. If you aren’t sure whether OfficeSuite is right for your biz, check out its free Office Pack download to test drive the software before you buy. 🚗
OfficeSuite best features
- Access OfficeSuite on Windows, Android, or iOS
- Create digital signatures and password protections for PDFs using Google Docs
- In addition to documents, sheets, slides, and PDFs, OfficeSuite controls emails and calendars across multiple accounts
- OfficeSuite is compatible with Microsoft Office and Google Drive file formats
- OfficeSuite doesn’t include project management or task management features
- Some users are frustrated that they have to pay extra for fonts and additional functionality
- Family: $59.99/year for six users
- Personal: $39.99/year for one user
- Home & Business 2023: $99.99 for one user (one-time purchase)
OfficeSuite ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (35+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4/5 (20+ reviews)
3. WordPerfect Office
WordPerfect Online bills itself as a combined word processing software and office suite. It includes documents, spreadsheets, and presentations that are compatible with MS Office. 📚
While it might look like your typical office software, WordPerfect offers some helpful extra key features. The eBook Publisher is great if you create ebooks frequently, and the AfterShot photo editor is helpful for quickly sprucing up images.
WordPerfect Office best features
- WordPerfect Lightning collects text and images from multiple sources to speed up research
- Choose from over 10,000 clipart images, 300 templates, and 900 fonts
- Use Presentation Graphics to create your own drawings
- WordPerfect Reveal Codes give you more control over formatting and structure
WordPerfect Office limitations
- WordPerfect doesn’t include an email client or project management tools
- Several users say WordPerfect’s Quattro Pro solution is no match for Microsoft Excel
WordPerfect Office pricing
- $249.99 one-time license
WordPerfect Office ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (30+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (180+ reviews)
4. Polaris Office
Polaris Office is a surprisingly robust and affordable LibreOffice alternative that works on all devices and popular operating systems. It’s compatible with all document formats, allows you to edit and convert PDF documents, and even includes mail merge.
Polaris Office comes with a centralized document management framework that’s 100% customizable. Whether you want to annotate PDFs or edit a doc in real-time with your team, Polaris handles all that and then some. 🌻
Polaris Office best features
- Polaris Office AI combines Open AI, CLOVA, and Stable AI for crazy-good content creation
- Monitor change history within all documents
- Create your own presentation templates to save time
- Convert PDF files into Word, Sheet, or Slides with a click
Polaris Office limitations
- The free version has ads
- Some users say it’s hard to navigate the mobile app
Polaris Office pricing
- Polaris Office Business: $7.99/month per user
- Windows OS: $79.99 lifetime license
- Mac OS: $79.99 lifetime license
Polaris Office ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.2/5 (20 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (15+ reviews)
5. Google Workspace
Google Workspace is one of the most popular office suite alternatives to Microsoft Word because it connects to all Google services and operates in the cloud.
If you’re a Google organization, Workspace is a shoo-in. It operates on all devices and connects email, file storage, office documents, presentations, spreadsheets, chats, and a lot more into a single platform. 🛠️
Google Workspace best features
- Use Google’s recently released AI tool to create copy
- Edit documents in real time and tag team members to get their attention
- You can upload and edit virtually all file formats
- Google doesn’t limit revision history—see all changes from the beginning of time
Google Workspace limitations
- Some people report difficulty getting customer support
- Other users wish Google Sheets had more Excel-like shortcuts
Google Workspace pricing
- Business Starter: $6/month per user, annual commitment
- Business Standard: $12/month per user, annual commitment
- Business Plus: $18/month per user, annual commitment
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Google Workspace ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (40,600+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (15,100+ reviews)
6. Apache OpenOffice
OK, we know this one looks a little…dated. But don’t judge an app by its cover. Apache OpenOffice is a 100% free alternative to LibreOffice.
Is it the most high-quality and secure option? Maybe not.
But if you run a small business and need a simple word processor, Apache is a viable alternative to LibreOffice. It includes bare-bones options for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and even graphics and databases. 📈
Apache OpenOffice best features
- Apache OpenOffice is available in multiple languages
- OpenOffice has a huge international community of users, which is helpful if you need help troubleshooting
- Produce 3D illustrations with OpenOffice Draw
- Use the Math tool to visualize formulas with an equation editor
Apache OpenOffice limitations
- The graphics and icons aren’t always the best quality
- Users report that this free app is pretty buggy
Apache OpenOffice pricing
Apache OpenOffice ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (300+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (480+ reviews)
7. WPS Office
WPS Office is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux, which makes it a great option for teams using different devices and operating systems. 🖥️
WPS Office has over 100,000 templates for everything from communication plans to teaching plans to work reports. Collaborate with your team in real-time and drop in images, GIFs, tables, emojis, code blocks, countdowns, and more.
WPS Office best features
- Use WPS AI to write copy at the speed of light
- Quickly share information with your team using Screen Recorder
- Fill, sign, and convert PDFs
- Consult the WPS template store for timesaving templates
WPS Office limitations
- Some users want more accurate grammar and spelling tools
- Other users say the platform needs better document security
WPS Office pricing
- WPS Pro: $35.99/year
- WPS Business: Contact for pricing
WPS Office ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.4/5 (280+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (1,380+ reviews)
8. Apple Numbers
If you’re a diehard Apple fan, Apple Numbers could be your next fave LibreOffice alternative. This free Excel dupe is designed for the Mac, iPad, and iPhone. 📱
It isn’t purely for creating and editing documents, though. Apple Numbers focuses more on data and spreadsheets, but if you live in spreadsheets all day long, this could be what you need. It’s pretty robust for a free tool, as long as you’re fine with not having a word processor.
Apple Numbers best features
- Choose from a library of over 700 customizable shapes and data visualizations
- Identify trends with pivot tables
- Work across multiple devices with the same Numbers account
- PC users can access Apple Numbers via a web browser
Apple Numbers limitations
- Apple Numbers only includes spreadsheets
- Several users say Numbers isn’t as robust as Excel
Apple Numbers pricing
Apple Numbers ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (2,400+ reviews)
9. Microsoft 365
Microsoft Office 365 is the revamped version of Microsoft Office for the cloud. It includes Teams, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to combine all of your work, chats, and collaboration tools in one platform.
Microsoft 365 is a reputable LibreOffice alternative that’s popular with enterprises because of its tight security protocols. If you want the convenience of an all-in-one work platform and advanced security features, Microsoft 365 is a great choice. ✨
Microsoft 365 best features
- Microsoft 365 announced Copilot, an AI tool for summarizing, editing, and task prioritization
- Schedule meetings for hundreds of attendees
- Get one terabyte of cloud storage per user via OneDrive with your Microsoft account
- Create a SharePoint site to share information and content with your team
Microsoft 365 limitations
- Several users say they needed a lot of training to use Microsoft 365 correctly
- Other users say they have stability issues using Teams
Microsoft 365 pricing
- Microsoft 365 Business Basic: $6/month per user, billed annually
- Microsoft 365 Business Standard: $12.50/month per user, billed annually
- Microsoft 365 Business Premium: $22/month per user, billed annually
- Microsoft 365 Apps for Business: $8.25/month per user, billed annually
Microsoft 365 ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (4,900+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (13,300+ reviews)
Collabora is a cloud-native alternative to LibreOffice for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. It’s specifically designed for enterprise use but businesses of all sizes can benefit from this cloud app. ☁️
Collabora includes tools for writing, spreadsheets, presentations, and diagrams. Use Collabora Office Writer to edit office documents in real-time on your desktop, Android devices, or when using the iOS Collabora app.
Collabora best features
- Collabora integrates with ownCloud, SharePoint, Alfresco, and more
- Display all types of file formats within Collabora without losing any data
- Save files as PDFs or images and insert them in documents and presentations
- Check the admin console for analytics on usage levels
- Since Collabora works via the cloud, you can’t access your documents if you lose internet access
- Some users say they had a hard time learning how to use the tool at first
- Collabora for Business: $22.29/year per user for up to 99 users
- Collabora for Enterprise: Contact for pricing
Collabora ratings and reviews
- G2: N/A
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (30+ reviews)
Boost Office Productivity With ClickUp
With this comprehensive list, you’re sure to find the best alternative to LibreOffice for your team.
A solid office suite should work with your business, not against it. LibreOffice is a popular free tool, but it isn’t the most user-friendly option, especially for larger teams.
Why spend more time switching between different office tools? ClickUp is the only LibreOffice alternative that combines an office suite, team collaboration, templates, AI, metrics, whiteboards, and integrations into a single platform. 🙌
But we know that seeing is believing. Give ClickUp a spin right now to see its time-saving features firsthand. Create a free ClickUp account—no credit card required!