Since its launch in 1998, Bugzilla has been one of the most popular bug-tracking systems. It continues to occupy the second-largest portion of the market to this day.
But does that make the software a one-stop shop for all your defect and bug-tracking needs? Does it adapt well to multiple team sizes and software niches? Let’s find out.
If you’ve found yourself wrestling with Bugzilla’s customization limitations, grappling with the hassle of attaching sizable bug-related files or feeling a bit handcuffed by its reporting and workflow capabilities, you’re not alone.
Bugzilla has been a reliable companion in the world of bug tracking, but let’s be honest—sometimes, even the most trusted tools need an upgrade.
In this article, we’ll explore the top alternatives to Bugzilla with details on their features, pros and cons, pricing, and ratings. Let’s help you pick the best bug-tracking software for your needs.
What Should You Look for In Bugzilla Alternatives?
Let’s lead you through some essential features to look for in a Bugzilla alternative:
- Cloud Storage: Relying only on physical storage is not enough, especially considering the huge amount of data we have nowadays. The right Bugzilla alternative must not only store but also let you access your info from anywhere with cloud storage
- Customizability: Look for multiple customization options to take total control of the bug-tracking software. This should extend to both the user interface and issue-tracking functionality
- Collaborative Features: It should allow you to coordinate with your team members and across teams to track and resolve bugs more efficiently. Having all the information available on a single shared platform avoids miscommunication
- Report Generation and Data Analysis: Seek great software with built-in info generation tools. It should have excellent AI integration to speed up your bug-tracking process
- Pre-made Templates: Pre-made templates save a ton of time. Pick software with many of these
- Integration Capabilities: Don’t compromise on your software environment. You need to allow your team to keep using the critical applications they are already working with in conjunction with the alternative that you choose
- User Interface: Supply your teams with a smooth work environment. Popular alternatives come with an accessible UI that guides users through the bug-tracking process
The 10 Best to Bugzilla Alternatives Use in 2024
With ClickUp’s effective bug-tracking system, you can report, track, and prioritize bugs in one place. ClickUp’s Team Project Management Software offers loads of visualization tools, making reporting a breeze so you can avoid technical debt.
Plus, it lets you collaborate smoothly with your team and keeps all records in a no-code database that everyone can access.
ClickUp best features
- ClickUp Bug Tracking Template: Track issues faster using pre-built views, Custom Statuses, and Custom Fields. Input crucial details into customizable visual templates. ClickUp’s Bug Tracking Templates also include Report Forms you can share with your team.
- ClickUp AI: Accelerate idea generation, roadmap visualization, and development with ClickUp’s state-of-the-art artificial intelligence, packed with various expertly crafted AI tools.
- Agile Workflow: Zoom through your epics with flexible embedded workflows in ClickUp like Kanban and Scrum. Automate your backlog so you’re free to concentrate on other crucial tasks.
- Effective Visualization: Visualize your tasks using shared roadmaps in ClickUp. Track your progress, dependencies, and pain points to prioritize where needed.
- Streamlined bug-tracking: Swiftly collect issue requests using intake forms in ClickUp. Easily convert these into trackable tasks that are highly customizable, allowing you to connect related issues, add tags, and improve backlog management.
- Collaborative Features: Automatically share all your data, records, and roadmaps with stakeholders across teams and departments, granting appropriate permissions.
- Needs more flexibility with dashboards
- The search functionality needs improvement
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
- ClickUp AI is available on all paid plans for $5 per Workspace
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2,000+ reviews)
2. Jira Software
Jira comes best equipped for Agile teams with bug-tracking needs. It uses the Agile framework and supports its multiple methodologies.
By utilizing its visualization prowess, you can easily navigate your workflow through Scrum boards and Kanban cards to identify and fix bugs efficiently.
Jira Software best features
- Timelines: Add epics, map work items, dependencies, and releases on a fully customizable timeline where your team members and other stakeholders can stay on the same page
- Agile Boards: Use Jira’s Scrum and Kanban boards to break down large projects into manageable tasks. Track issues seamlessly and visualize workflows to identify areas needing attention
- Drag and Drop Automation: Automate tasks effortlessly with Jira’s tools and ready-made templates. Just drag and drop your data description and let the automation do the heavy lifting for you
Jira Software limitations
- UI needs to be more interactive
- Document uploading and tracking can be improved
- Many users complain about slow processing speed
- Advanced road mapping is not available as part of regular paid plans
Jira Software pricing
- Free Forever
- Standard: $8.15/month per user
- Premium: $16/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Jira Software ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (5,600+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (13740+ reviews)
Rollbar prides itself on providing real-time bug fixes during the software development process.
Using Rollbar, you no longer need to deal with the hassle of re-editing or going back into the development phase to adjust your product for errors at the end. It also automates responses when an error is detected and notifies relevant team members.
Rollbar best features
- Real-Time bug-tracking: Get instant access to all errors on your files through a real-time error feed. Circumvent errors as they happen instead of compiling them at the end of the development phase
- Grouped Error Alerts: Silence constant and annoying alerts by grouping similar ones in a neat package. This is achieved by utilizing automation-grade grouping and machine learning by the software
- Automated Error Response: Automate your workflow and responses for any hiccups in development and testing. With AI lending a hand, it not only prioritizes tasks but also tracks bugs seamlessly—making your life easier
- Complex UI
- Errors in the error grouping feature
- The cost is a major concern for smaller companies
- Free Forever
- Essentials: $12.50/month per user
- Advanced: $24.17/month per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Rollbar ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (150+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (260+ reviews)
GitLab, one of the best Bugzilla alternatives, boasts a powerful AI-based DevSecOps platform equipped to handle the team’s error detection and management needs.
Due to its AI capabilities, it can also efficiently automate your workflow. It uses a single data model, allowing bug-tracking insights to be shared across your entire DevSecOps lifecycle.
GitLab best features
- Essential Tools: Boost your error-tracking with AI in DevSecOps. It streamlines everything—VSM, DORA Metrics for planning, code suggestions for creating, and robust systems for verifying, securing, packaging, and deploying your software
- GitLab Duo Chat: Level up your workflow with GitLab Duo’s AI integration. Meet your always-on assistant, GitLab Duo Chat, for code help, epic management, onboarding, and seamless tracking. Enhance security, testing, and documentation effortlessly
- Source Code Management: Transform your software development process by exercising version control through collaboration. Allow your team to maximize productivity, leading to faster delivery and increased visibility
- Needs an embedded code review feature
- Lacks the ability to create custom dashboards
- Lacks embedded security scans
- Poor in-browser IDE experience
- Lack of cross-platform support
- Free Forever
- Premium: $29/month per user
- Ultimate: $99/month per user
GitLab ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (770+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (1030+ reviews)
5. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects’ Universal Add feature is a lifesaver during critical moments, allowing you to add items to your roadmaps swiftly.
The Work Breakdown Structure simplifies project organization. Coupled with agile framework boards for tailored tracking, Zoho ensures smooth, fast workflows.
Zoho Projects best features
- Work Breakdown Structure: Break down your projects into simpler, more manageable work chunks. This helps you effortlessly organize your workflow. Use custom agile framework boards tailored to your needs, complete with tracking functionality
- Universal Add: Add work items and incorporate users, tasks, events, issues, or documents within your task list with the click of a single button
- Customization Features: Make your project management system your own with the plethora of customization features that Zoho provides, like custom layouts, fields, views, status, etc. With these, you can capture the information you want and prioritize work on your terms
Zoho Projects limitations
- Limited online support
- No pre-made templates
- Steep learning curve
- Some users find the UI to be clunky
Zoho Projects pricing
- Free Forever for up to 3 users
- Premium: $5/month per user
- Enterprise: $10/month per user
Zoho Projects ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (380+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (430+ reviews)
6. Mantis Bug Tracker
MantisBT is easy to set up and manage as a light open-source bug-tracking tool. Unlike most open-source projects, it offers customizability, email notifications, and access management for efficient bug tracking and resolution.
Since it depends on Python, users can easily integrate new features into it and manage it themselves, providing a certain degree of autonomy and control.
Mantis Bug Tracker best features
- Easy Installation: Cut down on installation time using Mantis BT, whether it’s for internal setups or installations in hosted environments
- Web-Based: Accelerate your projects and access them from any location. The web-based application allows users to save on resources regarding storage. View data on a web server or website
- Multi-DBMS Support: Gain access to multiple database management systems by utilizing ADODB as an abstraction library. Integrate MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle (experimental), DB2 (in progress), etc., into your workflow
Mantis Bug Tracker limitations
- Severely outdated UI
- Slow performance and other performance issues
- Buggy filter system
Mantis Bug Tracker pricing
- Free forever
Mantis Bug Tracker ratings and reviews
- G2: 4/5 (70+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (90+ reviews)
Sentry helps you pinpoint and resolve bugs efficiently by employing diverse techniques like full-stack monitoring and error breadcrumbs, allowing you to delve deep into the root cause of the issue.
Sentry provides post-development tracking so you can effectively troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the testing phase.
Sentry best features
- Full-stack Monitoring: Identify critical issues and connect them to their root cause. Establishing a connection between cause and effect no longer has to be a guessing game. You receive additional contextual information about the application state. Furthermore, all unhandled exceptions are automatically recorded
- Error Breadcrumbs: Observe what the app was doing at the time of the error, including user interactions, AJAX requests, debug logs, network requests, etc. Sentry can also gather user feedback when errors occur
- Release Health Reports: Gain immediate insight into releases with real-time visibility, tracking essential metrics such as crash-free sessions, version adoption, and failure rate. This enables you to identify issues and take swift corrective action promptly
- Steep pricing
- Lacks self-hosted capabilities
- Resource-heavy on all fronts
- Data sampling needs improvement
- Developer: Free Forever
- Team: $26/month per user
- Business: $80/mo per user
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
Sentry ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 (90+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (60+ reviews)
Helix ALM gives you a comprehensive life cycle management tool. Dive into issue-tracking seamlessly with Helix IM—its specialized module. Get comprehensive life cycle management with end-to-end traceability, making it easy to track the exact source of the bugs pre and post-development and fix them.
Plus, Helix is modular, letting you choose and customize features to fit your bug-tracking needs perfectly.
HelixALM best features
- Modularity: Exercise control over the services you want with HelixALM’s specialized modules. There are dedicated modules to deal with requirements management (Helix RM), test case management (Helix TCM) and Issue management (Helix IM)
- Exceptional Traceability: Combine the modules to gain unparalleled traceability over your projects. Know exactly what happened during each stage to gain an understanding of where you need to focus most
- Risk Analysis: Conduct meaningful risk analyses, including FMEA and impact analyses with HelixALM. Address issues before they throw a wrench in your development schedule. Ensure compliance by crafting a traceability matrix to back it all up
- Needs better integration with electronic document control systems like Arena PLM
- Needs an easier backend setup
- Custom pricing
HelixALM ratings and reviews
- G2: 4/5 (85+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (25+ reviews)
Redmine offers unparalleled security and control and a robust bug-tracking system.
The flexible role-based access control lets you precisely define who interacts with your product, ensuring a secure and controlled environment during the issue-tracking and resolution stages of your project’s development.
Redmine best features
- Access Control: Easily define roles and set permissions with just a click using its flexible role-based access control. You call the shots, whether it’s board management, adding, editing, or deleting. Engage with your bug-tracking system with precision while ensuring accountability
- Time Tracking Functionality: Track time at project or entry levels with a simple report detailing time per user, issue type, category, or activity. Understand when bugs surfaced or got resolved in the development cycle
- Repository Browser: Attach existing repositories to each of your projects. Redmine lets you browse their contents and view and search changesets that give you version-based issue-tracking functionality
- User Interface needs drastic improvement
- Needs a feature to enable notifying the ticket originator on issue resolution or follow-up
- Lacks mobile application support
- Not built to support agile-based project management methodologies such as Scrum
- Free with paid plugins
Redmine ratings and reviews
- G2: 4/5 (245+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (150+ reviews)
The Trac Project is another open-source application for issue tracking that runs on Python. It doubles as a significant hub of knowledge and data.
Teams can collaboratively edit on this platform, making it one of the few free issue-tracking tools that encourage collaborative features.
Trac best features
- Team-Wide Knowledge Base: Keep your team in the loop effortlessly. Trac’s got you covered with its knowledge acquisition platforms. Think of it like a supercharged Wiki—configurable for collaborative editing. Using the MoinMoin syntax, it links seamlessly to tickets, reports, and source code
- Online Code Repository: Explore your code repository online with Trac – it’s like a friendly guide for both Subversion and Git. Browse, manage, and link up multiple repositories and support different version control systems with plugins
- Limited feature set for the open-source app
- No auto-save feature for notes
- Large ticket volumes are difficult to manage due to open-source limitations
- Slow processing of files with a substantial history
- No customer support is available since it’s an an open-source software
- Custom pricing
Trac ratings and reviews
- G2: Not enough ratings
- Capterra: Not enough ratings
Find The Best Bugzilla Alternative That Suits You!
Why be stuck with a singular software with a whole list of alternatives available?
Bugzilla is a handy and reliable software but needs improvement in some areas. Limitations on customization, accessibility, collaboration, and workflow automation mean it no longer stands out. Modern teams demand the best so they can perform to their full capacity.
Sign up for free today and witness what ClickUp can do for you.