The public might think of the construction industry as a blue-collar field, but as a construction manager, you know better. This is an evolving field where technologies, techniques, and trends reshape what it means to build structures.
As construction industry professionals, it’s your job to stay on top of the latest ideas in your industry for more efficient construction project management. 🏗️
The best way to stay up-to-date with your industry is to attend construction conferences. Fortunately, there are plenty of conferences slated to take place in 2024. Learn about the latest trends in sustainability, construction technology, and everything in between.
In this guide, we’ll explain why construction conferences are so beneficial, dive into the must-attend construction trade shows of 2024, and share tricks for implementing what you learned at the conference.
- The Significance of Construction Conferences
- Key Construction Events & Conferences in 2024
- Emerging Themes in 2024 Construction Conferences
- Best Practices for Getting the Most Out of Construction Conferences
- Incorporating Conference Insights Into Practice
The Significance of Construction Conferences
Construction conferences aren’t just fun industry events. They’re an opportunity to learn from industry leaders and see the latest trends in building construction. Aside from the educational sessions and seminars, construction conferences also offer once-in-a-lifetime networking opportunities to propel your career. What’s not to love?
There are so many benefits of attending construction conferences, including:
- Improving your knowledge: Even if you have 20 years of experience in the industry, there’s always something new to learn. Attend relevant breakout sessions, seminars, and keynote speeches to gain new insights into the latest tech and best practices—you never know what you’ll discover
- Attending networking events: These events are teeming with industry professionals from every corner of the construction world. Not only are there plenty of interesting people to meet, but the right connections could help you find mentors or explore new career opportunities
- Spotting quality vendors: Finding a quality vendor is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Construction conferences give you the ability to chat with potential vendors in the expo hall. Check out these exhibitors to find new construction software tools, materials, and technologies in less time
Key Construction Events & Conferences in 2024
Innovation happens at construction conferences. If you want a hand in shaping the future of the built environment, put these 2024 construction conferences on your calendar.
World of Concrete
- Date: January 22-25, 2024
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
- Pricing: Contact for pricing
World of Concrete turned 50 years old this year, making it one of the oldest and most reputable construction conferences in the USA. It’s also the only international tradeshow dedicated solely to commercial concrete and masonry. World of Concrete includes a New Product Zone, training (including certifications), and lunch-and-learns. 👷
International Builders Show
- Date: February 27-29, 2024
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
- Pricing: $175
The International Builders Show is a huge annual conference that connects over 60,000 construction professionals. The three-day event includes a Start-Up Zone, a New Product Zone, and even a Construction Performance Zone demo stage. If you’re down to party, it also includes the Young Pro Party, Official House Party, and other less formal get-togethers to let your hair down.
AGC Annual Convention
- Date: March 19-22, 2024
- Location: San Diego, California
- Pricing: $1,149-$1,499
The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) puts on the AGC Annual Convention for some of the most influential folks in construction. This gigantic annual event includes tracks on workforce management, job site productivity, risk management, and infrastructure construction.
- Date: June 3-4, 2024
- Location: San Diego, California
- Pricing: $725-$895
Are you looking for the latest trends in construction technology? Then ENR FutureTech is the construction conference for you. Engineering News-Record hosts this conference, which focuses on innovations in architecture, engineering, and construction. Since it attracts professionals from multiple disciplines, ENR FutureTech is a great opportunity for learning about new tech while making lots of industry connections. All attendees get access to session content, an exhibit hall, digital speaker materials, meals, and networking opportunities.
Greenbuild International Conference
- Date: November 12-15, 2024
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Pricing: TBD
Are you interested in sustainability? The Greenbuild International Conference is one of the best construction conferences for the green building movement. This year’s session list is still TBD, but the 2023 event touched on net zero emissions, decarbonization, wastewater management, and regenerative design.
- Date: March 3-7, 2026
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
- Pricing: TBD
Okay, so this show isn’t returning until 2026, but you should still have it on your radar!
CONEXPO-CON/AGG promotes itself as the largest construction show in North America. This is a gargantuan construction conference with over 2,000 exhibitors and 190 educational sessions, so you’re sure to get something out of this event. The 2026 event includes a track for materials and another for construction management, so its sessions are the perfect blend of business education and construction innovation.
Emerging Themes in 2024 Construction Conferences
Like any industry, trends come and go in construction. The construction industry is evolving, but certain topics will definitely shape this year’s conferences. Attend the sessions you’re most excited about, but keep an eye out for these emerging themes to stay on top of the latest advancements in construction.
Building Information Modeling (BIM)
BIM isn’t new, but it’s a hot topic in 2024. BIM is a type of advanced modeling software that revolutionizes how professionals design, construct, and manage buildings. Used properly, it has the potential to reduce costs and minimize waste. This year’s conferences will likely cover the latest developments in BIM and lean into using BIM for collaboration between architects, engineers, and construction pros.
Artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, and drones have a lot of potential for construction, from safety to process mapping. This year’s conferences will lean heavily into the use of advanced technologies and digitization to make construction more efficient and affordable.
Bonus points: You’ll be able to connect with vendors that offer these advanced technologies at the conferences, streamlining your search and speeding up time to implementation.
With all this talk about technology, it’s tempting to forget about a construction company’s biggest asset: its people. Nobody’s born a manager, so it’s no surprise that the best construction conferences usually include sessions on people management. Look for sessions on employee time tracking, managing conflict, and hiring for diversity.
Sustainability and green building
Environmental responsibility is on the minds of both consumers and government officials, so it’s no surprise that so many conferences (and especially Greenbuild International) focus so heavily on sustainable construction. Look for sessions on sustainable building practices, renewable materials, and energy-efficient designs. 🏢
Prefabrication and modular construction are gaining traction as builders try to speed up their production schedules. These methods, which involve constructing parts of a building offsite and assembling them onsite, are a different way of doing things, but have the potential to save time and money.
Best Practices for Getting the Most Out of Construction Conferences
Attending a conference costs time and money. The last thing you want is to get little to nothing out of a conference, so set yourself up for success before you go. Follow these best practices to maximize the value of attending construction conferences.
Network like you mean it
We know you’re probably tired after a long day at the conference, but don’t skip those networking parties! Networking opens up a new world of possibilities for your career and business. Follow these tips to network in style:
- Plan ahead: Make a list of which attendees, exhibitors, and speakers you want to chat with. If you can get their contact information ahead of time, schedule meetups with the contacts you want to speak with the most
- Have an elevator pitch: You don’t have to say anything mind-blowing, but have a concise introduction that explains who you are and what you’re looking for. It’s a lot easier starting a conversation with a stranger when you have a spiel ready to go
- Follow up: You’ll collect a lot of business cards during a construction conference. Schedule some time post-conference to go through these business cards and follow up with your new contacts
Pay attention at sessions
You’re paying good money to listen to industry experts. Follow these best practices to squeeze value from every session and workshop:
- Attend various sessions: Sure, it’s tempting to stick with one conference track, but you’ll get more information by attending different types of workshops, talks, and events. Even if you’re a materials person, attending a business management session could give you more context on how other areas of your business operate
- Be an active participant: Put your phone and laptop away! Emails and messages will distract you from the meat of the presentation. Try to be an active participant by asking questions during the Q&A, submitting feedback, or chatting with other attendees after the session
- Take notes: You might be faster at typing, but handwritten note-taking is less distracting. Jot down key points and ideas to research after the conference. Better yet, give yourself a note to upload them into a platform like ClickUp Docs and share them with your entire team
Use conference resources
Conferences can feel a little overwhelming, which is why so many attendees often forget about all the freebies that come with attending a conference. Whether it’s databases, free PDF guides, or video tutorials, take advantage of everything the conference provides. 📚
For example, find time in your schedule to check out the exhibit hall. You may need to use scheduling software to stagger which team members are in the exhibit hall and when, but this is a great way to see emerging trends with your own eyes.
Be sure to also:
- Access session recordings
- Download attendee data and contact information, if it’s available
- Go through your conference swag bag for valuable freebies
Incorporating Conference Insights Into Practice
You’ve done the hard work of attending a conference and learning new material. But don’t let that knowledge float into the abyss: use it!
Follow these tips to incorporate what you learned at the construction conference into your day-to-day workflows.
Debrief after the conference
Not everything you pick up at a conference will be usable. Sit down with your team to go through your notes and decide which ideas you want to try in your own business. You’ll probably have to prioritize, and that’s okay. You can implement some ideas quickly, while others will need more time or careful resource scheduling to pull off.
Use a construction project management tool
Who has time to flip between written notes, your scheduling software, and accounting data? Wouldn’t it be easier to manage everything in one place?
That’s where ClickUp comes in. Construction teams use ClickUp not only for planning conferences and storing notes in one place, but also for construction project management. Use these helpful features to integrate your conference insights into your daily workflows:
- Map view: Sure, you can visualize projects in List view and Calendar view, but Map view is particularly helpful for construction companies. View all of your projects by location and see where your crews are at any given moment
- Collaboration: Whether it’s HR, marketing, sales, or your field crew, you need to stay in contact with your team to complete projects. Switch to Chat view to collaborate with your team in real-time, whether you’re viewing a Doc or just having a private chat
- Integrations: Chances are, ClickUp integrates with the tools you already use for your business. Bring all of your software into one place and enjoy a holistic, high-level view of your business without the distractions
Speed everything up with templates
Whether it’s a new database or a customer intake form, you don’t have to create everything from scratch. From brainstorming Whiteboards to customer relationship databases, ClickUp has a template for just about everything. Use our free construction management templates for daily reports, schedules, budgeting, emergency actions, change order forms, and much more.
Best of all, these templates integrate with your existing ClickUp projects, Docs, tasks, and more, so implementation is just a click away.
Review and iterate
New processes are rarely perfect the first time around. Schedule regular team meetings to assess how the new processes are going. Use tools like ClickUp Dashboards to visualize your progress and quickly identify areas for improvement.
But don’t let your data languish in a dashboard. Be open to making iterative changes based on what you learn. If things aren’t working, don’t be afraid to scrap your current plan and try something new.
Build Something Beautiful in ClickUp
Construction has a reputation for being a gritty, boots-on-the-ground industry, and that’s still true. Even so, attending construction conferences will keep you updated on the latest practices and technologies, both for the field and office.
You’ll learn a lot at these conferences, but don’t forget to put what you learn into practice. Plug your conference notes, tasks, KPIs, and strategies into ClickUp for a truly all-in-one construction management experience. No more flipping between different platforms—everything’s truly in one place.
See the difference for yourself: Create your free ClickUp Workspace now.
1. What are the top construction conferences to attend in 2024?
Some of the top construction conferences of 2024 are:
- World of Concrete
- International Builders Show
- ACG Annual Convention
- ENR FutureTech
- Greenbuild International Conference
2. What are the benefits of attending construction conferences?
Attending a construction conference gives you access to the latest trends, technologies, and best practices in construction. You also get the chance to network with peers and experts, learn about new products, and develop your skills.
3. Why should firms attend construction conferences?
It can be tough justifying the cost of attending a conference, but teams that invest in professional development and networking tend to be more knowledgeable and profitable than teams that don’t. If you want to stay ahead of the curve, attending construction conferences gives you a serious leg up on the competition.