I’ve just had one of my most productive weeks ever, and I want you to do the same! I just got back from Tony Robbins’ Unleash the Power Within, a life-changing conference that gives you all the tools you need to be successful. I wish I could just give you all the information so you could feel as good as I do, but it doesn’t work like that. There is one particular thing that happens in the conference that I think adds the most value and I will share that with you!
— ClickUp (@ClickUp_app) March 25, 2018
Before I tell you what this is, let me walk you through the idea behind why it works. The thing Tony has mastered the most is psychology and physiology, which are behind every decision you make. This quote from Tony says it best:
“Whenever you want to make a change or improve something, the first place you want to prove it is in your mental, emotional state. If you do something from a pissed off state, from an exhausted state, from a frustrated state, from a weak state, it won’t matter what you do. The thoughts are weak when you’re in a weak place. The actions are weak.”
He’s 100% correct. If you start your day with “Ugh, how much work is on my plate today?”, your day is not going to go that great. However, if you wake up thinking, “How can I grow today?” then your day is going to be a lot different 😉
This is where priming comes into play. Priming is intended to get you in an energized, positive state that will carry you through the day.
“If you don’t have 10 f—ing minutes for your life, you don’t have a life,” Tony says. Excuse me for putting that in here, but it’s f—ing true! You have the time, you’re just in the habit of waking up and going about your day. Not anymore, try priming for a week and I guarantee you’ll be hooked like I am!
Here’s how to do it:
- Sit: Find a chair in a relatively quiet area and sit actively. Be sure to have both feet on the floor, shoulders back, chest up, neck long and head high.
- Breathe: By changing your breathing, you change your state of being. Tony’s own method is to do a breathing exercise with three sets of 30 breaths each with a pause in between each set. About 1 MIN
- Begin heart breathing: Put your hands on your heart. Feel its power and strength as you breathe into it. About 30 SEC
- Practice gratitude: Think of three things you’re extremely grateful for. They can be from your past, your present or your future. When you think of the first thing, create as clear an image of that moment as possible, stepping into it with your mind. After about a minute, go to the next thing, then the next. About 3 Minutes
- Visualize: Now visualize these blessings and what they’ve done for your life. Then think about what you’re going to accomplish today. See yourself achieving and growing over the next 12 hours! About 1 MIN 30 SEC
- Share: Now think about those you love and send them positive energy. Feel the energy going up and down, pouring out to your family, loved ones, colleagues, clients, friends, even strangers you’ve only met once. About 1 MIN 30 SEC
- Focus and celebrate: Now think about the three outcomes or goals that you want to accomplish the most. Make sure these are goals that excite you! Now, picture them being completed! Celebrate that feeling of victory, visualize how it will impact those around you. As with gratitude, go through each outcome one by one, fully experiencing the feeling of success. About 3 MIN
- Go out and crush your day: Now open your eyes and start playing your favorite music. It’s time to go accomplish everything you can.
And just that like no day is ever the same. Doing this every day gives you a sense of power you’ve never felt before. Trust me, I’ve been doing this daily and I’m amazed at how different I look at every task, accomplishment, problem, and even interactions with others. I approach my job differently and my days seem to fly by. Then when I’m off I truly appreciate and put effort into anyone I speak with or choose to spend time with.
I would love to see as many ClickUp users start priming as possible. My only fear is that there will be so many tasks being logged that our servers will explode :P. This morning when I did my priming session, I thought about how thankful I am for what I learned during Tony’s conference, how far ClickUp has come, and our vision for where we’re going to go. I envisioned making the world more productive, listening to our users as always, and finding a quick way to make an impact in their lives. Now here I am writing this blog post for you.
What will you do today?