Do you agree that visuals beat text and audio any day? 👀
Imagine being on call with your IT team, and they’re shooting instructions about finding buttons and changing settings.
You’re asking, “Where? Huh? I don’t see it!”
Wouldn’t it be much easier and comforting to see each other’s screens to ease the troubleshooting process?
That’s why you need to take a look at the best screen recording software.
It’ll definitely save you from those long calls with the IT department. 😉
In this article, we’ll discover the ten best and free screen recording software along with their pros, cons, and pricing.
Let’s find you a great screen recorder that won’t cost a fortune!
What Makes for Excellent Screen Recording Software?
Every screen recording software offers several features such as:
- Creating a screencast
- Recording system sounds
- Adding voice-overs
But how do you know if it’s the one?
Start by checking if the recording or screen capture software:
- Has a built-in sharing option, so you don’t need to share videos as email attachments
- Easy to use. You don’t want to waste time watching YouTube tutorials to understand how to use the tool!
- Can do more than just screen recording. This way, you don’t end up hoarding apps for different purposes
With these points in mind, let’s check out the top picks for screen recording software in 2021.
10 Best Screen Recording Software
Here’s a little secret about screen recorder software:
You don’t need to spend a lot.
Here are the best screen recording software for your organization’s needs:
But why is a project management tool on this list?
Because ClickUp doubles as the best free screen recording software!
If that doesn’t scream ‘convenience’, we don’t know what will!
Clip lets you:
- Capture your entire screen, browser tab, or an app window
- Add voice using a microphone
- Record with no time limit
- Share the recording with anyone
That’s not all!
Remember, an excellent screen recording tool should be more than a recorder.
That’s exactly what ClickUp is, and we’ve got proof.
ClickUp key features
A. Add context to tasks using Clip recordings
In a ClickUp task, you can access Clip from the Comments section.
Record your screen to add context to that specific task. Say goodbye to typing endless paragraphs describing your task. 👋
Sometimes, it’s just more effective to show than tell, especially if you’re a visual learner. 👀
B. Chrome Extension for screen capture and more
ClickUp’s Chrome Extension is multipurpose like a Swiss knife.
It can help you:
- Screen capture yourself browsing
- Add notes
- Bookmark websites
- Create tasks and more
You can even edit the screen capture right after you take it by enabling the editing feature.
C. Annotate images using Proofing
Whether it’s a captured image or any other type of image, annotation is easy using ClickUp‘s Proofing.
Add comments on the image where you want to make changes and assign it to the right person.
What about PDF annotation? We have this covered too. 😎
You can add clear markers on legal documents, highlight typos, make alterations, and more right from the task space.
D. Protect information using Permissions
Your website developer doesn’t need to see employee payroll data.
Your clients don’t need access to your internal workflow.
Set Permissions for anyone (including both Guests and Members) in ClickUp to protect sensitive information.
E. Bring apps and websites to ClickUp using Embed view
Simply copy and paste the URL or HTML to view websites like YouTube, Google Sheets, Outlook calendar, and Loom inside ClickUp.
No more switching tabs to manage your workflows!
F. Ditch boring texts with Rich Text Editing
Basic text can be a snoozefest, but it doesn’t have to be!
Use banners, headings, tables, numeric lists, italic, bold, and more with the Rich Text Editing feature in ClickUp.
G. Plan and organize using Mind Maps
Mind Maps in ClickUp help you visualize your ideas and transform them into actions.
Sketch out your project plans and workflows or even draw relationships between different tasks.
Use Clip to record your screen as you mind map and share it with your team instead of hosting a meeting.
Bonus: your team will also love you for calling in fewer meetings.
- Send and receive emails right from ClickUp using the Email ClickApp
- Set Reminders for things you don’t want to miss
- Create Tasks and Reminders even when the wifi is down in the Offline Mode
- See your work the way you prefer with views
- View task descriptions in Full Screen to enjoy rich details and information
- Easily manage tasks and resources
- Set different priorities for tasks based on their urgencies
- Track time spent on tasks using Native Time Tracking
- Directly integrate with your favorite apps, including Calendly, Discord, and Outlook
- Take your work wherever you go with ClickUp’s mobile app for both iOS and Android devices
- Record screen from Windows, Mac, and Linux systems
- No Table view in the mobile app (yet)
Our team works in eight different time zones to ensure we capture your suggestions and resolve your issues. 🌎 👩💻 ✅
Make sure to check out our development roadmap to see what’s in store.
ClickUp offers a Free Forever Plan. Its paid plan starts as low as $5/user per month.
ClickUp customer ratings
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2200+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (3100+ reviews)
Loom is one of the best screen recording software that can help you record high-quality videos.
What makes it fun?
Viewers can comment and react to your videos. You can also see who viewed your videos!
Unfortunately, Loom has limited video editing features.
So if you want to do more than video trimming or creating thumbnails, this video editor and recording software isn’t for you.
Maybe trim this screen capture tool from your options list entirely?
Loom key features
- Create GIF thumbnails
- Archive your videos
- Unlimited creator accounts
- Embed Loom video in ClickUp
- Restrict viewing of videos to specific people
- Integrate with Gmail, Slack, and Notion
- Video recording length is limited to five minutes in the free version
- Paid plans are expensive for a tool with only video recording features
- Loom desktop app isn’t compatible with the Linux platform
This screen recorder software has a free plan. Its paid version starts at $10/user per month.
Loom customer ratings
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
Are Loom drawbacks looming over your mind?
Here are the top Loom alternatives you can consider.
3. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is an open-source, free screen recorder.
Thanks to its support for live streaming screencasts on platforms like YouTube, it’s ideal for all professionals and even gamers.
For a free video recording software solution, OBS Studio offers a decent set of features, especially compared to other screen recorder tools.
However, if you just want to record the screen quickly, it can get confusing.
The OBS Studio software offers overlays, an audio mixer, custom transitions, etc. Unfortunately, these can be overkill for someone who doesn’t need extensive video editing features.
OBS Studio key features
- Offers video recording and live streaming
- Hotkeys to start and stop recording, switch between scenes, etc.
- Offers real-time video capturing and mixing
OBS Studio pros
- Open-source software
- Supports Windows, Mac, and Linux systems
- Full-screen video capture
OBS Studio limitations
- No mobile versions
- Can be glitchy
- Can be difficult to understand
OBS Studio pricing
OBS Studio is free.
OBS Studio customer ratings
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (50+ reviews)
4. Free Cam
Free Cam is a great software for your screencast and video editing requirements.
Like most competitors, this screen recording app lets you record voice-overs and system sounds and offers basic video editing tools.
So it’s pretty much ordinary recording software.
Moreover, its audio and video editing options are only available in the pro version.
If you’ve started considering the upgrade, hit the breaks now.
It’ll cost you $227 a year!
Here’s a clincher: only Windows users can use this screencast software.
Sorry Mac users. You have to keep looking for an alternative screen recording and editing tool.
Free Cam key features
- Highlight the cursor in a screen recording with click sounds
- Customize your screen recording area
- Trim your video recording
Free Cam pros
- Upload videos directly to YouTube
- 720p HD quality video recording
- No watermarks
Free Cam limitations
- You can’t export a recorded video to an MP4 file format in the free version
- You can’t annotate recordings
- Video editing features can be hard to use
Free Cam pricing
Free Cam has a free plan. The paid version costs $227/year.
Free Cam customer ratings
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: 4.5/5 (10+ reviews)
Screencast-O-Matic is another free screen recorder that allows you to add captions to your screencast.
It also lets you record screen and webcam simultaneously. Great for when you need to record video with yourself and your computer screen in it.
So is it perfect?
The tool has a 15-minute video limit for free users. If you need to extend, you’ll have to use their paid plans.
This restriction feels unnecessary, especially when there are other superior screencasting or online screen recorder software available that don’t have these limits.
Screencast-O-Matic key features
- Record your computer screen and webcam together
- Offers custom thumbnails feature
- Add closed captions
- Screen capture specific areas or the entire computer screen
- Paid versions are affordable
- Password protect videos
- Can’t record over 15 minutes in the free version
- Paid plans have no free trial
- Upgrade required to remove the watermark
Screencast-O-Matic is available for free. Its paid plan starts at $1.65/ month (billed yearly).
Screencast-O-Matic customer ratings
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (20+ reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (40+ reviews)
Clipchamp is a free video editor that lets you create and edit videos for corporate, educational, and creative purposes.
With this screen recorder, you get access to professional editing tools like a green screen and the basics such as trimming and cropping.
Is there something that Clipchamp can’t champion?
One word: personalization.
Unlike other complete video editing software suites, this screen recording software doesn’t let you personalize video recording workflows.
Clipchamp key features
- Work on video projects together with Clipchamp teams feature
- Offers ready-to-use templates for social video ads, corporate slideshows, etc.
- Access an extensive video and audio stock library
- Unlimited video production in the free version
- Online video editor lets you trim, cut, rotate, crop, etc.
- Add text, audio tracks, and images to your videos
- No cloud media backup in the free version
- Limited color grading options
- File management can be tricky when synced to iCloud
Clipchamp offers a free plan. Its paid plan starts at $9/month.
Clipchamp customer ratings
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (20+ reviews)
- G2: N/A
Soapbox is a screen recording software that works as a Chrome extension.
It offers all the basic features to capture, edit, and share your screen record.
If you want to sell your content or products, you can create videos to support your marketing activities with this recording software.
However, while capturing the screen and webcam together, you can’t see yourself when you record.
We wish Soapbox thought a little out of the box to add this simple feature.🤦
Soapbox key features
- Record video with screencast and webcam together
- Add elements like slides or other videos
- Create video thumbnails with looping GIF or a text overlay
- Export videos to social media quickly
- Create video thumbnails
- Make unlimited videos in the free version
- Limited post-recording editing features
- No branding for video pages in the free version
- Paid plans are expensive
Soapbox has a free plan. The paid version starts at $99/month.
Soapbox customer ratings
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (10+ reviews)
- G2: 4.2/5 (15+ reviews)
ShareX is an open-source screen recording, file sharing, and productivity tool for Windows.
You can use it to record screens, make videos, and even make GIFs for social media.
What’s great about ShareX?
It’s free, and there’s no time limit to record videos.
What’s not so great about ShareX?
ShareX doesn’t support screen capturing of most games in fullscreen mode.
Gamers can safely remove this tool from their lists.
ShareX key features
- Offers customized screen capture abilities like active windows, scroll capture, text capture, etc.
- Multiple annotation tools
- Supports several uploading methods like file, folder, and URL upload
- Supports 80+ platforms to share your content like Twitter, Dropbox, Jira, etc.
- Customizable workflows
- Free app with no advertisements
- Too many screen capture options can confuse an average user
- No option to record audio within the video
- Only available for Windows
ShareX is a free screen capture software.
ShareX customer ratings
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: 4.8/5 (60+ reviews)
9. Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder
Apowersoft’s Free Online Screen Recorder is an in-browser screen recorder.
This free recorder is worth trying out, whether you want to record your presentation, software demonstration, or tutorial.
While it’s an in-browser tool, it can give any desktop recording software a run for its money with its option-packed control bar. It lets you record a video stream, self-demonstration, live chat, etc.
However, this free tool has its limitations.
For starters, sometimes the audio and video fail to sync.
If you’re a professional gamer, it’s not too great at recording games.
Apowersoft won’t do justice to your powerful game moves. 🎮
Apowersoft key features
- Export videos in multiple formats, including MP4, WMV, AVI
- Option to record audio and video simultaneously
- Add a webcam into screen recording
- No recording limit
- Flexible screen capture
- Annotate videos in real-time
- App tends to crash sometimes
- Doesn’t integrate with other work apps
- No option to set permissions
Apowersoft’s screen recorder is a free tool.
Apowersoft customer ratings
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: N/A
Camtasia is an all-in-one TechSmith capture tool and video editor that lets you record and create professional-looking videos on Windows and Mac.
You can use this screen capture software to create online lessons, tutorials, product demos, etc.
The editor also lets you add animations and effects to make your videos more interesting. For example, you can trim, cut, add zoom and pan, add annotations, etc.
On the downside, it’s not a free tool.
It’s the most expensive video recording software on our list.
Camtasia key features
- Simple drag-and-drop editor
- Free assets like video effects, images, and audios are available in the Camtasia library
- Add quizzes and interactivity to your videos
- Pre-built video templates reduce editing time
- Use themes to keep a consistent look and feel
- Instantly upload your video to YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- App takes time to load
- Lacks the ability to highlight areas/shapes on the screen
- Audio tends to drop out
Camtasia costs $249.99 per user.
Camtasia customer ratings
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (90+ reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (500+ reviews)
Lights, Camera, Screen Record!
Remember when recording screens was a job only for tech wizards? 🧙♀️
Well, we’ve come a long way.
Now we have software that records your screen with the click of a mouse.
But you still need to choose a screen recording tool that fits your needs.
Do you need software with no recording limit?
A tool that lets you add voice?
A built-in sharing feature?
Get all of the above in a comprehensive project management tool. In other words, get ClickUp. 😊
It’s your task managing, note taking, and screen capturing tool.
Try ClickUp for free today and start recording yourself making history!
Questions? Comments? We're here for you 24/7 at firstname.lastname@example.org!