You’ll have to agree. Visuals beat text and audio any day!
Imagine being on call with your IT team, and they’re shooting instructions about finding buttons and changing settings.
But you’re just going, ‘Where? Huh? I don’t see it!’
Wouldn’t it be nice just to see each other’s screens for a change?
That’s why you need the best screen recording software available today.
It’ll definitely save you from those long calls with the IT department. 😝
In this article, we’ll discover the five best and free screen recording software along with their pros, cons, and pricing.
Let’s find a great screen recorder that won’t cost you a fortune!
What Makes For Excellent Screen Recording Software?
Every screen recording software offers several features like:
- Creating a screencast
- Recording system sounds
- Adding voice-overs
But how do you know if it’s the ‘one’?
Start by checking if the recording or screen capture software:
- Has a built-in sharing option, so you don’t have to share videos as email attachments
- Is easy to use. You don’t want to waste time watching YouTube tutorials to understand how to use the tool!
- Can do more than just screen recording. This way, you don’t end up hoarding apps for different purposes
Keeping these points in mind, let’s check out the top picks for screen recording software in 2021.
5 Best Screen Recording Software
Here’s a little secret about screen recorder software:
You don’t really need to spend a lot.
Save that money and use it to grow your business, or just buy yourself some tasty pizza for lunch. 🍕
With that being said, here are the best screen recording software for your organization’s needs:
But why is a project management tool on this list?
Because ClickUp doubles up as the best free screen recording software!
Yup, you heard it.
It’s like Hannah would say…
If that doesn’t scream convenience, we don’t know what will!
Clip lets you:
- Capture your entire screen, browser tab, or just an app window
- Add voice using a microphone
- Record with no time limit
- Share the recording with anyone
However, that’s not it.
Remember how an excellent screen recording tool should be more than a recorder?
That’s exactly what ClickUp is, and we’ve got proof.
ClickUp key features
A. Add context to tasks using Clip recordings
When in a ClickUp task, you can access Clip from the Comments sections.
Record your screen to add context to that specific task and say bye-bye 👋 to typing endless paras to describe your task.
It’s always better to show than tell!
B. Chrome Extension for screen capture and more
ClickUp’s Chrome Extension is multipurpose like a Swiss knife.
We can help you:
- Screen capture yourself browsing
- Add notes
- Bookmark websites
- Create tasks
You can even edit the screen capture right after you take it by enabling the editing feature.
C. Annotate images using Proofing
Whether it’s a captured image or any other type of image, annotation is easy using ClickUp‘s Proofing feature.
Add comments on the image where you want to make changes and assign it to the right person.
What about PDF annotation? We got this covered too. 😎
You can add clear markers on legal documents, highlight typos, make alterations, etc., right from the task space.
D. Protect information using Permissions
Not everyone needs access to all your information.
Your website developer doesn’t need to see employee payroll data.
Your clients don’t need access to your internal workflow.
So just set their Permissions in ClickUp.
This way, you can decide who can or can’t do something within ClickUp.
E. Bring apps and websites to ClickUp using Embed view
With ClickUp, you won’t need any other app to create spreadsheets, calendars, etc.
But if you still feel the need, bring them right where you manage your tasks.
Just paste the URL or HTML and view other websites like YouTube, Google Sheets, Outlook calendar, and Loom inside ClickUp.
No more switching tabs to manage your workflows!
F. Ditch boring texts with Rich Text Editing
Basic text can be a snoozefest. 🥱
But it doesn’t have to be.
Make text exciting with ClickUp’s Rich Text Editing feature. You can make edits like banners, headings, tables, numeric lists, italic, bold, etc.
G. Plan and organize using Mind Maps
Mind Maps in ClickUp help you visualize your ideas and transform them into actions.
Sketch out your project plans and workflows or even draw relationships between different tasks.
Want to share your ideas with the team?
Use Clip to record your screen as your Mind Mapping and share it instead of hosting a meeting.
Your teammates will also love you for calling in fewer meetings. 😜
Think you can get used to the love?
- Send and receive emails right from ClickUp using the Email ClickApp
- Set Reminders for things you don’t want to miss
- Create tasks and Reminders even when the wifi is down in the Offline Mode
- See your work the way you prefer with views
- View task descriptions in Full Screen to enjoy rich details and information
- Easily manage task and resources
- Set different Priorities for tasks based on their urgencies
- Track time spent on tasks using Native Time Tracking
- Directly Integrate with your favorite apps, including Calendly, Discord, and Outlook
- Take your work wherever you go with ClickUp’s mobile app for both iOS and Android devices
- Record screen from Windows, Mac, and Linux systems
- Can’t add closed captions (yet)
Our team works in eight different time zones to ensure that your suggestions get implemented and your issues are resolved.
Make sure to check out our development roadmap to see what’s in store.
ClickUp offers three pricing options:
- Forever Free: includes unlimited tasks and users and 100MB storage space
- Unlimited ($5/user per month): includes unlimited Spaces, views, storage, and more
- Business ($9/user per month): includes Time in Status, custom exporting, and all Automations
ClickUp user ratings
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (2100+ reviews)
- G2: 4.7/5 (2400+ reviews)
Loom is one of the best screen recording software that can help you record high-quality videos.
What makes it fun?
Viewers can comment and react to your videos. And you also get to see who viewed your videos.
Unfortunately, Loom has limited video editing features.
So if you want to do more than video trimming or creating thumbnails, this video editor and recording software isn’t for you.
Maybe trim this screen capture tool from your options list entirely?
Loom key features
- Create GIF thumbnails
- Archive your videos
- Unlimited creator accounts
- Embed Loom video in ClickUp
- Restrict viewing of videos to specific people
- Integrates with Gmail, Slack, and Notion
- Video recording length is limited to five minutes in the free version
- Paid plans are expensive for a tool with only video recording features
- Loom desktop app isn’t compatible with the Linux platform
Loom offers two pricing options:
- Free: includes unlimited public viewers and creator accounts
- Business ($8/user per month): includes custom video thumbnail and video transcripts
Loom user ratings
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (120+ reviews)
- G2: 4.4/5 (80+ reviews)
3. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is an open-source, free screen recorder.
It’s ideal for all professionals and even gamers, thanks to its support for live streaming of screencasts on platforms like YouTube.
For a free video recording software, OBS Studio offers a decent set of features, especially when compared to other screen recorder tools.
However, if you just want to record your screen quickly, it can get confusing.
The OBS Studio software offers overlays, an audio mixer, custom transitions, etc. These can be overkill for someone who doesn’t need such extensive video editing features.
OBS Studio key features
- Video recording and live streaming
- Hotkeys to start and stop recording, switch between scenes, etc.
- Real-time video capturing and mixing
OBS Studio pros
- Open-source software
- Supports Windows, Mac, and Linux systems
- Full-screen video capture
OBS Studio cons
- No mobile versions
- Can be glitchy
- Can be difficult to understand
OBS Studio pricing
OBS Studio is free.
OBS Studio user ratings
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (400+ reviews)
- G2: 4.5/5 (40+ reviews)
4. Free Cam
Free Cam is a great software for your screencast and video editing requirements.
Like most competitors, this screen recording app lets you record voice-overs, system sounds and offers some basic video editing tools.
So it’s pretty much ordinary recording software.
Moreover, its audio and video editing options are only available in the pro version.
But if you’ve started considering the upgrade, hit the breaks. Now!
It’ll cost you $227 a year!
And here’s a clincher.
Only Windows users can use this screencast software.
Sorry Mac users.
You gotta keep looking for an alternative screen recording and editing tool.
Free Cam key features
- You can highlight the cursor in a screen recording with click sounds
- Can customize your screen recording area
- Supports trimming your video recording
Free Cam pros
- Upload videos directly to YouTube
- 720p HD quality video recording
- No watermarks
Free Cam cons
- Can’t export a recorded video to an MP4 file format in the free version
- Can’t annotate recordings
- The video editing features can be hard to use
Free Cam pricing
Free Cam has two pricing options:
- Free: includes noise remover and video trimmer
- PRO Version ($227/year): includes webcam recorder and annotator
Free Cam user ratings
- Capterra: N/A
- G2: 4.0/5 (14 reviews)
Screencast-O-Matic is a free online screen recorder that allows you to add captions to your screencast.
It also lets you record your screen and webcam simultaneously.
Great for when you need to record video with yourself and your computer screen in it.
So is it perfect?
The tool has a 15-minute video limit for free users, and to get rid of that limit, you’ll have to go for their paid plans.
This restriction feels unnecessary, especially when there are other superior screencasting or online screen recorder software out there that don’t have these limits.
Screencast-O-Matic key features
- Record your computer screen and webcam
- Custom thumbnails feature
- Add closed captions
- You can screen capture specific areas or the entire computer screen
- The paid versions are affordable
- Password protect videos
- Can’t record over 15 minutes in the free version
- Paid plans have no free trial
- You have to upgrade to remove the watermark
Screencast-O-Matic has three pricing options:
- Free: includes captions, save to device, and 30 music tracks
- Deluxe ($1.65/month): includes sound effects, scripted recordings, and a green screen filter
- Premier ($4/month): includes custom video player, 100GB bandwidth, and stock library
Screencast-O-Matic user ratings
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (9 reviews)
- G2: 4.1/5 (39 reviews)
Lights, Camera, Screen Record!
Remember when recording screens was a job only for tech wizards?
Well, we’ve come a long way.
Now we have software that records your screen with the click of a mouse.
But you still need to choose a screen recording tool that fits your needs.
Do you need software with no recording limit?
A tool that lets you add voice?
Or the one with an in-built sharing feature?
Let’s do one better.
Get one with all of that combined with project management.
In other words, get ClickUp.
Get ClickUp for free today and start recording yourself making history!