The project charter is an essential part of any project. A project charter outlines the purpose and scope of a project, as well as defines relationships among stakeholders who are involved in the process. It serves as a guide for the entire project lifecycle—from initial idea to final execution.
ClickUp's Project Charter Template will provide you with everything you need to plan and deliver successful projects, including:
- A comprehensive overview of your project goals and objectives
- An easy-to-use checklist for tracking progress and ensuring every item is actioned
- Flexible organization for sharing documents, tasks and notes with key stakeholders
Get started on your next project with ClickUp's Project Charter Template today!
Benefits of a Project Charter Template
A project charter template can help any project manager stay organized and on track. Here are just some of the benefits to using a project charter template:
- Provides a clear and concise overview of the project objectives
- Helps keep stakeholders and team members aligned on project goals
- Ensures that tasks are properly delegated and tracked
- Allows for more effective communication and collaboration between team members
Main Elements of a Project Charter Template
ClickUp's Project Charter Template is designed to help you define a project with clear goals and objectives. This Doc template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Create tasks with various custom statuses to keep track of the progress of each task within the project
- Custom Fields: Categorize and add attributes to manage your project charter and easily visualize project information
- Custom Views: Start with this Doc template and build out your ClickUp workflow which includes List, Gantt, Workload, Calendar, and more
- Project Management: Improve project charter tracking with custom fields, tags, automations, and more
How to Use a Project Charter Template
Creating a project charter is essential for any project and there are a few key steps to consider when putting yours together.
1. Establish your team and project goals
This is an important first step as you need to determine what the goals and objectives of the project are. You should also identify any stakeholders involved in the project and decide who will be responsible for what tasks.
Use Goals in ClickUp to create SMART objectives and assign tasks to specific team members.
2. Define the scope
You need to be clear on the scope of the project so that you can prioritize tasks and manage potential risks. Defining the scope should include identifying any constraints, assumptions, dependencies, and risks that could affect the project.
Use the Gantt chart in ClickUp to visualize the timeline of the project and prioritize tasks.
3. Create the document
Once you’ve established the team and goals of the project as well as the scope, you can begin creating the project charter document. Start by summarizing the project’s purpose and goals, and then move onto the scope and other important details.
Use Docs in ClickUp to create a project charter document and share it with the team.
4. Set milestones
Once the document is created, it’s time to set milestones. Milestones are important as they help you measure your progress and provide a sense of accomplishment.
Set Milestones in ClickUp to track progress and measure success.
5. Monitor and adjust
As the project moves forward, it’s important to monitor the progress and make adjustments as needed. This includes keeping an eye on the budget, timeline, and making sure the team is on track to meet the goals set out in the project charter.
Use Dashboards in ClickUp to track progress and make sure the team is meeting their goals.
Get Started with ClickUp's Project Charter Template
Project managers can use this Project Charter Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to defining the scope, objectives and goals of the project.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to create effective project charters:
- Identify project goals, objectives, and scope
- Create a timeline for the project and assign tasks to team members
- Define roles and responsibilities for all stakeholders
- Set up notifications to stay up-to-date on progress
- Develop a clear communication plan for the team to follow
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity