Writing a book is no small feat! From researching and outlining to drafting and editing, there are so many steps that go into creating your masterpiece. With ClickUp's Book Planning Template, you can finally say goodbye to the spreadsheets and post-it notes, and start streamlining your process with an all-in-one planning tool.
The Book Planning Template helps you:
- Break down large tasks into manageable chunks
- Organize ideas and keep track of research more effectively
- Share progress updates with editors or colleagues in real-time
No matter what stage of the writing process you're in, this template will help you stay organized and on track all throughout your journey. Start planning smarter, not harder today—with ClickUp's Book Planning Template!
Benefits of a Book Planning Template
Book planning templates are essential tools for authors who want to get their books published and read by a large audience. Through a book planning template, authors can:
- Organize their ideas into an efficient plan
- Create an outline of the main points
- Break down the book into manageable sections
- Set deadlines and milestones to ensure progress
Main Elements of a Book Planning Template
ClickUp's Book Planning template is designed to help you keep organized with your book writing projects. This List template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Mark task status such as Editing, Prewriting, Publishing, Revision, and To Do, to keep track of each stage of the book writing process
- Custom Fields: Use 5 different custom attributes such as Location, Plot, Characters, Chapter, and Story to save vital information and easily visualize the project
- Custom Views: Open 7 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as Chapters, Priority, Getting Started Guide, Novel Details, Writing Process, and more
- Project Management: Improve book writing tracking with time tracking capabilities, tags, dependency warning, emails, and more
How to Use a Book Planning Template
Writing a book can be a daunting task, but ClickUp’s Book Planning template can help make it easier. Here are 6 steps to get you started:
1. Brainstorm ideas
Start by writing down every book idea that comes to your mind. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect, just get it out on paper.
Use a Doc in ClickUp to brainstorm any and all ideas related to your book.
2. Research the topic
Now that you have a list of ideas, it’s time to start researching them. Look into other books on similar topics, read articles and blogs, and collect any data you can to help shape your book.
Use the Board view in ClickUp to keep track of all the research you’ve done.
3. Create a timeline
Once you have a basic outline of your book, create a timeline to keep yourself on track. Break down the project into smaller, achievable tasks and assign deadlines to each one.
Use the Gantt Chart in ClickUp to create a timeline for your project and track your progress.
4. Set goals
Set realistic goals for your project and use them to stay motivated. Make sure to track and measure your progress to make sure you’re on the right track.
5. Draft your book
Now it’s time to start writing! Spend some time drafting your book and make sure to take frequent breaks.
Use the Table view in ClickUp to create an outline for your book and track your progress.
6. Finalize and publish
Once you’ve finished writing, it’s time to edit and proofread your book. Be sure to take your time and make any changes you think are necessary.
When the book is ready to go, use Automations in ClickUp to publish it to the appropriate outlets.
Get Started with ClickUp's Book Planning Template
Authors can use this Book Planning Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to planning and organizing book projects.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to plan a book:
- Use the Chapters View to organize and keep track of all chapters in your book
- The Priority View will help you prioritize tasks and make sure you are focusing on the right tasks
- The Getting Started Guide View will give you a space to create a plan for your book and outline main points
- The Novel Details View will help you keep track of all characters and other details related to the book
- The Writing Process View will help you stay organized and on track with your writing timeline
- Organize tasks into six different statuses: Editing, Prewriting, Publishing, Revision, To Do, to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as you progress through tasks to keep team members informed of progress
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity