Project management requires careful decision-making to ensure success. To ensure that all decisions are documented and accountable, you need a project management decision log template.
ClickUp's project management decision log template makes it easy to track and document every decision made on your project. With this template, you can:
- Easily view all decisions in one place
- Track the impact of each decision on your timeline
- Keep everyone on the same page with clear communication
Whether you're managing a large construction project or a small business, ClickUp's project management decision log template will help you make the right choices for success!
Benefits of a Project Management Decision Log Template
Decision logging can help project teams stay organized and on-track. When used effectively, project management decision logs can:
- Provide a clear record of decisions made during the project
- Help teams identify areas where they need to take corrective action
- Improve communication between team members and stakeholders
- Make it easier to troubleshoot any problems that arise during the project
Main Elements of a Project Management Decision Log Template
ClickUp's Project Management Decision Log Template is designed to help teams track key decisions and their outcomes. This List template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Mark task status such as Abandon, Approved, Declined, In Review, and To Review to keep track of the progress of decisions
- Custom Fields: Use 3 different custom attributes such as Approver, Project Aspect, and Impact to save vital information about decisions and easily visualize the process
- Custom Views: Open 4 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as the Decision Log, Decision Board, Calendar, and Getting Started Guide so that all the information is easy to access and organized
- Project Management: Improve decision tracking with time tracking capabilities, tags, dependency warning, emails, and more
How to Use a Project Management Decision Log Template
Making effective decisions is a key part of successful project management, so it's important to have a strategy in place for tracking and evaluating them. Follow the steps below to create a project management decision log:
1. Define the decision
First, you’ll need to clearly define the decision that needs to be made. It’s important to be as specific as possible so that everyone involved is on the same page.
Create a Doc in ClickUp outlining the decision that needs to be made and its purpose.
2. Identify stakeholders
Once the decision has been outlined, you’ll need to identify who will be affected by it. This means identifying stakeholders such as team members, clients, and any other external parties who may need to be consulted.
Create tasks in ClickUp for each stakeholder and assign them to the relevant team member.
3. Brainstorm solutions
Now that you have identified the decision and its stakeholders, it’s time to start brainstorming potential solutions. This process should involve gathering input from every stakeholder and discussing the pros and cons of each option.
Use Whiteboards in ClickUp to brainstorm solutions and collect feedback from stakeholders.
4. Make the decision
Once you have identified the best solution, it’s time to make the decision. This should involve weighing the costs and benefits of each option and deciding which is the most viable.
Create a Milestone in ClickUp to track the progress of the decision-making process and ensure that a decision is made on time.
Get Started with ClickUp's Project Management Decision Log Template
Project managers can use this Project Management Decision Log Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to recording and tracking decisions made throughout the project.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to make project management decisions:
- Use the Decision Log View to record all decisions made in the project
- The Decision Board View will help you organize decisions into categories to make it easier to track progress
- The Calendar View will give you a visual representation of when decisions need to be made
- The Getting Started Guide View will help you get started quickly and make sure you don't miss any important steps
- Organize tasks into five different statuses: Abandon, Approved, Declined, In Review, To Review to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as decisions are made to keep stakeholders informed of progress
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity