A board skills matrix is an essential tool for any organization. It helps ensure that you have the right people in the right roles, and it offers a comprehensive overview of their skillsets.
ClickUp's Board Skills Matrix Template is designed to help you:
- Evaluate current team members’ skill sets
- Assess potential new hires’ competencies
- Gain clarity on which roles need more support
Using this easy-to-use template, you'll be able to keep track of all your team's skills, qualifications, and experiences—all in one place!
Benefits of a Board Skills Matrix Template
A board skills matrix template can help your board of directors maximize their effectiveness. Here are some of the benefits of using a board skills matrix template:
- Ensures that the board has the necessary skills and knowledge to provide effective oversight
- Helps identify and fill any gaps in the board’s skills and experience
- Provides insight into the board’s overall effectiveness and can help identify areas of improvement
- Enables the board to be more organized and efficient in their decision-making
Main Elements of a Board Skills Matrix Template
ClickUp's Board Skills Matrix Template is designed to help you organize and track the skills of board members. This List template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Create tasks with custom statuses such as Open and Complete to keep track of the progress of each skill
- Custom Fields: Use 11 different custom attributes such as Strategy Development, Conflict Management, Labor Human Resources, Cross Cultural Diversity, and Communication, to save vital information about board members and easily visualize their skills
- Custom Views: Open 4 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as Overview, Technical Skills, Generic Skills, and Getting Started Guide so that all the information is easy to access and organized
- Project Management: Improve skill tracking with follow-up reminders, task dependencies, due dates, and more
How to Use a Board Skills Matrix Template
Creating a Skills Matrix can help you effectively manage your team and get the most out of their skillset. Here’s how to get started:
1. Identify the skills your team needs
The first step in creating a Skills Matrix is to determine what skills are necessary for your team to succeed. List out the essential skills for each role and any other skills that could be beneficial.
Use the Board view in ClickUp to brainstorm and organize the skills your team needs.
2. Assess each team member’s skills
Once you’ve identified the skills necessary for each role, assess each team member’s current skills and knowledge. This can be done by surveying the team or having one-on-one conversations.
Use the Table view in ClickUp to create a skills matrix chart for each team member.
3. Document and organize the results
Once you’ve assessed each team member’s skills, document the results in a Skills Matrix chart. This chart should include the names of each team member, the skills they possess, and the level of expertise they have for each skill.
Use the Dashboards in ClickUp to easily view and compare the skills of each team member in one place.
4. Use the matrix as a training tool
The Skills Matrix can be used as a training tool to help your team develop new skills and reach their goals. Use it to identify areas of improvement and assign tasks to team members accordingly.
Use Milestones in ClickUp to track progress and set deadlines for training tasks.
Get Started with ClickUp's Board Skills Matrix Template
Board members can use this Board Skills Matrix Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to assessing team members' skills and identifying areas of improvement.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to create a skills matrix:
- Use the Overview View to get an overview of all skills and who is responsible for each
- The Technical Skills View will help you track the technical skills for each team member
- The Generic Skills View will help you track generic skills for each team member
- The Getting Started Guide View will give you a step-by-step guide to setting up the board
- Organize tasks into two different statuses: Open, Complete, to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as you assign skills to team members to keep stakeholders informed of progress
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity